Will our dues go up up up up up....since other DVC things are happening??

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought property taxes were a percent of the properties value. If this is the case I would think a weakened housing market would send property values down, resulting in lower property taxes overall. I know this is the case in my hometown, which is why cities are trying to make up the money elsewhere (code enforcement, more traffic tickets, etc.) Orange County cant just raise taxes because revenue is down, it has to be based on the propertie's value. I doubt the value of these properties has increased during this recession.

There are two parts to it. Property value and tax rate. If value goes down tax rates could be increased to adjust. Were we live it is some what held in check. We have a cap. Tax increase is increased by inflation or 5% whichever is lower. In our area government has two choices, live within what is available to them or put a referendum on the ballot to exceed the limits.

We can only speculate about how the weakened national economy could impact our MFs, but I don't think anyone can establish a casual relationship between the two with any certainty.

It's the Causal relationship that might be tough to establish. :goodvibes

I suspect employee costs (wages, benefits for Disney employees and outsourced such as housekeeping)have not gone up much this year because of the lack of any real wage increases...

About half of WDW's workforce will have received 4-5% raises by the end of this year per the terms of the current collective bargaining agreement.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/news-program-information-93/1072-disney-workers-get-raises

You can also bet that healthcare costs will be budgeted higher in 2010--unless benefits have been reduced, costs are pretty much guaranteed to increase in today's economy.

I agree we'll probably see the usual 2-4% increase in dues. I'll even go so far as to guess that one reason the valet parking perk was discontinued was because it would have lead to an abnormally high bump in dues compared to other recent years. If the total dues were projected to be flat for '10, it would have been a no-brainer to have DVC subsidize valet parking revenue the applicable resorts. Even with the service being outsourced, I'm sure Disney is getting a cut of the action. They only stand to benefit if millions of dollars worth of DVC dues had been funneled back into the Disney coffers.

There are two parts to it. Property value and tax rate. If value goes down tax rates could be increased to adjust. Were we live it is some what held in check. We have a cap. Tax increase is increased by inflation or 5% whichever is lower. In our area government has two choices, live within what is available to them or put a referendum on the ballot to exceed the limits.

I guess it is just different in every state. Here in California Property tax rates can only go up a maximum of 1.5% a year and has to be tied to an increase in value. (Prop 13) requires a 2/3 majority vote to raise property taxes. California legislature just went around that by raising income tax to the highest in the nation at 10%! Want more social programs you just can't pay for, get it from the working class.

I guess it is just different in every state. Here in California Property tax rates can only go up a maximum of 1.5% a year and has to be tied to an increase in value. (Prop 13) requires a 2/3 majority vote to raise property taxes. California legislature just went around that by raising income tax to the highest in the nation at 10%! Want more social programs you just can't pay for, get it from the working class.

Government...got to love it!! I just read chicago is facing over 6% increase.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought property taxes were a percent of the properties value. If this is the case I would think a weakened housing market would send property values down, resulting in lower property taxes overall.
Florida has a roll-back provision for it's property taxes that lets local governments reset the rate to account for the fact that property values have changed. The intent was to lower rates as property values rise. But it also allows them to raise rates as property values fall. If WDW is hit with a reset, and if their value has dropped as much as other properties in the taxing region, their taxes will go up.

--- Disney, including DVC, is pretty much an entity unto itself. I would wager that Disney, and it's related entities (including DVC), pay the large majority of property taxes to the city and county. There aren't many houses and individually owned property in the area, and the ones that are there make up only a tiny fraction of the tax revenue.
The DVC units are in Orange County (greater Orlando)and pays most of it's taxes to the county. While Disney may be the largest property owner in the county, it doesn't come close to paying the majority of the taxes.

Here in California Property tax rates can only go up a maximum of 1.5% a year and has to be tied to an increase in value. (Prop 13) requires a 2/3 majority vote to raise property taxes.
As a former Californian, I always thought that this *sounded* a lot better than it actually was. True, it keeps property taxes reasonable (and given the real estate craziness there, something needed to be done). But, it makes it almost impossible to raise money for important things. The referendum system in CA really plays havoc with the budget.

As a former Californian, I always thought that this *sounded* a lot better than it actually was. True, it keeps property taxes reasonable (and given the real estate craziness there, something needed to be done). But, it makes it almost impossible to raise money for important things. The referendum system in CA really plays havoc with the budget.

Oh Brian, Brian. So many responses I could give to this but to keep this from becomming political and to keep us all friends here I will keep my mout shut. :)

Can some one please let me know where property taxes have gone down due to a lower house value.
I have read a lot of people are leaving Florida due to a huge increase!
Where I live my taxes have gone up by a larger precent than ever before and this is true for a few surronding states.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter