Will not stay at Poly again

Any similar experiences at Poly?

• Total voters
No, bungalow view is the correct term! Putting those bungalows there really ruined that view if you ask me.

Ruined a whole bunch of views, but hey as long as a few people with a ton of money can afford it, who cares about a whole bunch of people who (while they do certainly have some cash) can't afford it ?

You would think for the price people pay that during the renos they could have just sound proofed the rooms ...

The room to room sound was an issue at the Poly when they were cash rooms. Disney had an opportunity to address it here, and did not.
The Poly will be hands down disney's most profitable DVC resort. Renovating 20+ year old buildings and selling them.

Hands down the worst DVC offering there is.

i wonder if they redid the wiring, or if near lease end those buildings are going to have 75+ year old electrical wiring.

The room to room sound was an issue at the Poly when they were cash rooms. Disney had an opportunity to address it here, and did not.
The Poly will be hands down disney's most profitable DVC resort. Renovating 20+ year old buildings and selling them.

i wonder if they redid the wiring, or if near lease end those buildings are going to have 75+ year old electrical wiring.
Well, gosh, DVC paid to renovate the entire lobby with all the money they got from the new purchasers there. You expect them to redo the wiring and soundproofing?

Well, gosh, DVC paid to renovate the entire lobby with all the money they got from the new purchasers there. You expect them to redo the wiring and soundproofing?
LOL, yes, what was i thinking??

I am curious to see how Poly MFs behave compared to others as those buildings get even older.

I recently stayed at the Poly for the Princess Half Marathon weekend and agree, it's by far the loudest room I have ever been in on property. We were standard view 3rd floor in Pago Pago. The view was actually very cool, we looked right out onto the monorail and the trees blocked almost all of the parking lot. :) I believe we were also more sensitive to the sounds, since we were trying to go to bed so early (those runDisney wake-up times are brutal). We heard noise from the parking lot, from the balconies outside and through the connecting door. I actually could not believe the amount of noise coming through that connecting door! Plus, I think mousekeeping was slamming every bathroom sliding door one afternoon during their cleaning. I swear, every few minutes we could hear a door slam!

That being said, I just downloaded a white noise app on my tablet and it was no big deal. Excited to stay here again in Oct!

The only thing not replaced in the DVC converted longhouses were the steel supports. The entire buildings were gutted, like you could walk from end to end right through where each room is because there were no walls, floors or ceilings. There is nothing in those buildings or on the exterior that is more than 2 years old.

The only thing not replaced in the DVC converted longhouses were the steel supports. The entire buildings were gutted, like you could walk from end to end right through where each room is because there were no walls, floors or ceilings. There is nothing in those buildings or on the exterior that is more than 2 years old.

Sad to hear, that means that DVD/Disney really doesn't care if they build a quality product.

:earsboy: Bill

Steve, since you know more about the Poly than Disney does that is some nice news. I hope that includes all the plumbing for the structure, not just the rooms. When that resort was built, I am guessing it was plumbed with cast iron pipe, which now probably has less than 1/2 of its original diameter free flowing from years of build up.

I would just hate for Poly owners to get shafted down the line by ridiculous MFs.

On the other had it is sad that Disney did not use the opportunity to address sounds issues. Some mineral wool between rooms would not have broken the budget. Sound between rooms has always been one of, if not the Poly's biggest issues.

All that being said, it is still my favorite resort. That may be why I hate to think that any corner may have been cut....

Sad to hear, that means that DVD/Disney really doesn't care if they build a quality product.

Last time I checked the people at Disney that designed the renovation did not do the work but I will say that the construction issues are unacceptable

Steve, since you know more about the Poly than Disney does that is some nice news. I hope that includes all the plumbing for the structure, not just the rooms. When that resort was built, I am guessing it was plumbed with cast iron pipe, which now probably has less than 1/2 of its original diameter free flowing from years of build up.

I would just hate for Poly owners to get shafted down the line by ridiculous MFs.

On the other had it is sad that Disney did not use the opportunity to address sounds issues. Some mineral wool between rooms would not have broken the budget. Sound between rooms has always been one of, if not the Poly's biggest issues.

All that being said, it is still my favorite resort. That may be why I hate to think that any corner may have been cut....

I must have missed the posting that I said I knew more than Disney does about the Polynesian.

I must have missed the posting that I said I knew more than Disney does about the Polynesian.
Sorry Steve, you either took that the wrong way, or I did not state it correctly. You have never made such a claim. I was stating it half jokingly as a semi-truth, and as a compliment to you about your Poly knowledge.

It was not a sarcastic "this guy thinks he knows everything".....it was a sincere "this guy really does know a boat load about the poly" (and in many cases, probably more than a lot of people at Disney do...for real!)

Sorry if i offended, that was a million miles away from my intent!

Last time I checked the people at Disney that designed the renovation did not do the work but I will say that the construction issues are unacceptable

IMO it's a Disney project, they are the designers and responsible for the build and inspections even though they didn't swing the hammer. Lack of sound and heat insulation, no ceiling fans, drains that don't drain, exit signs that guests are hitting their head on do to placement, exterior doors that don't open, are all issues that have been reported here on the DIS. Too many issues for a company who has built resorts many times before.

So for a rather limited expense they could have sound proofed the rooms while everything was pulled back to the structural supports. Even if they had only gone back to the studs it would have been easily done.

I think I can handle that if they were not directly beside my room. Staying on the first floor of Moorea (only a few rooms from the TTC), as well as having the CMs were very close to our patio, it was quite loud. But the horn and the announcements were just as disturbing. So, as I said, definitely not for us in the future.

As an aside, I noticed that you said AKL...We've stayed at the AKV portion of Jambo and found it to be one of the quietest locations. Even the one time our room opened up to the main lobby, the noise was less disturbing than what we experienced in
the Poly. I do attribute most of that to being on the first floor. Perhaps if we had a room on the 3rd or 4th floor, even in the
same area, the noise would be less disturbing. Not sure, but not going to find out. If we choose to stay there again, I would try
have to book the Standard view or not stay there.

We stayed pool view @ Jambo(5th floor). Since our last stay, we found out the pool was no longer open 24/7. It opened @ 9 a.m. during our Nov./Dec. stay. @ 8 a.m. or later, they power washed. It was late enough, short enough, & quiet enough that it wasn't a problem. If it was @ 6, & woke us & kept us from going back to sleep, I would not have been happy, especially as there are only 8 dedicated value studios(we stayed 17 nights so giving us a lock-off could have messed up the 2-bedroom bookings); half of which are pool view, & as we didn't get one of the 4 (super quiet!) savanna view dedicated ones, though we tried.

This is why I love my sound machine. We just stayed at Poly for the princess marathon and didn't hear anything.

I just eat a few dole whips and I cant hear jack squat!!!! That's my recommendation to solve the issue!!

I was wondering if maybe the special style of construction of the Poly and Contemporary might have something to do with it, although I'm not sure if the 3 DVC buildings which were constructed later were the same type of construction, with the slide-in pre-fab rooms like Roy Disney helped design. I'm guessing that maybe not, since the rooms are a slightly different size.

But it made me wonder if having a slide in design contributed to not being able to put as much insulation between the rooms. The Contemporary has some concrete separating the rooms near the exterior, like you see on the sides of your balcony, which might mitigate it over there (and if you've noticed, the floors of the rooms in the tower sink down due to this unique construction, and apparently the rooms have settled enough that they can no longer be removed in the same way they were slid in, but we are getting off topic).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter