Will I be forced to accept, then decline? - CP

HalfDreaming

Earning My Ears
Hey guys, I'm in a pinch and I need some help with my issue about the College Program. Thanks in advance!

Short background: I applied for the Fall 2011 dates, had my phone interview, and was accepted as a Transportation cast member (which I'm genuinely psyched about!) I think the Disney College program will be an awesome way to kick off graduation since I'm graduating in two months; I've always loved Disney so I can only imagine how great it'll be working there.
My mother works and lives on her own, and we learned recently that her job might be laying her off by the next few months, which is devastating to say the least. She's worked with her company for many years and has a good standing with them; this is mainly due to economic issues and a recent acquisition.

Here's my predicament: I want this College Program perhaps more than anything right now, but her company has told us that they won't know the exact situation until April about her position and whether or not they have to let her go. If she does get to keep her job, then no sweat and I can go on worry free. However, if she doesn't, then I can't allow myself to go without taking care of her. She's an older woman and she doesn't have the financial or physical means to attempt to get re-hired without my help. Basically, I would have to refuse the Disney position and have her move in with me so I can take care of her.
What really sucks about this situation is the timing; we won't know the answer until April, and the deadline to submit an Accept or Decline for the program is March 21st. I can't speak in terms of probability - she could be likely for anything at this point, but what we do know is that they care about her a lot and they know they'd hate to see her go, so we can generally assume they'll fight to keep her, but it's still guessing at best.

I don't want to decline the offer if she keeps the job, so I'm in a really tough situation. Is there a policy about this? If I accept now, what can I do if I'm forced to decline later? Has anyone been through this?

Any help answering this would help me immensely. Thanks again!

I say to accept your offer for now. Accept your offer, pay the fee, and pick a check in date. Then if your mother loses her job, you can just email them and say that you have to decline for personal family reasons. They will give you a refund of the fee and it will also no way affect your standing with Disney if you decide to apply for a job with them later. Its okay as long as you decline before check-in day. You are allowed to do that! That way you will save your spot just in case your mother is able to keep her job. Tell your mother I said good luck and I hope she is able to keep her job!

I would defently accept the offer because if you decline it I don't think there is any way to accept it back. If you accept it and then you have to decline it later :sad1: I'm sure all you have to do is call Disney and tell them your situation. This probably doesn't help you much, just my opinion and what I would do. You could also call/e-mail them with your question. Best of luck to you and your mom :goodvibes

I have no advise to give you, but want to commend you for your loyalty to your mother. Not all children would do that. I'll say a prayer for it to all work out for both of you. You deserve to follow your dreams!

I say to accept your offer for now. Accept your offer, pay the fee, and pick a check in date. Then if your mother loses her job, you can just email them and say that you have to decline for personal family reasons. They will give you a refund of the fee and it will also no way affect your standing with Disney if you decide to apply for a job with them later. Its okay as long as you decline before check-in day. You are allowed to do that! That way you will save your spot just in case your mother is able to keep her job. Tell your mother I said good luck and I hope she is able to keep her job!

I think the fee is nonrefundable isn't it? Maybe it's different now but I thought if you paid it then you couldn't get it back. I could see you getting the new $200 for first 2 weeks rent back since you wouldn't be living there. But I think once you pay that $104.50 for parties and stuff you can't get it back.

Have you checked with your CP representative on campus? I would recommend going to your rep to see if the deposit is refundable or not. I am an academic advisor at a large university and we have Disney college reps available to answer questions just like this.

My suggestion is to accept the offer and back out if necessary. This is a tough situation to deal with but I'll be keeping you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers.

It is pretty clear that the Housing fee's are non-refundable.
https://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/students/housing/housing_costs.html

Participants will also be responsible for a non-refundable $100 Program Assessment fee, which helps support the events and activities scheduled in the housing complexes throughout the program, and a non-refundable $200 Housing and Administration fee, that will be applied to the participant's housing costs during the first few weeks of the program. Also, please note a minimal processing fee will also be assessed to the total. These non-refundable fees must be paid as a single payment at the time an applicant accepts their invitation to participate on the program. Once the payment is received and the online acceptance process is completed, we will officially reserve the student's place on the program.

The bolding is mine.

That said, they may have a heart and go through with the refund. I'd ask Disney directly (not someone on campus and definitely not a campus rep) to get an answer. Email them so you have it in writing. wdw.college.recruiting@disney.com

I wouldn't count on a refund happening, though.

Not that the CP pay is great but assuming your mom loses her job and you are going to help her - are you going to be able to find a position that will pay you more than you would make doing the CP. CPs get a ton of hours typically and can bring home money if they watch their spending.

Think about the whole big picture. Might be better for you to have something rather than both of you unemployed.

If the company lays her off she will be eligible for unemployment which will help and possible job assistance. Not sure what she does but if she has been with a company for a long time and has adminstrative, secretarial, manufacturing (whatever) skills she might find something sooner than you anticipate.

Liz

I am in a similar situation with school... My University is making me jump through hoops to "take a semester off" and hasn't gotten back to me yet about how it will affect my graduation date. I've gotten my deadline extended twice (my original deadline was 3/3, which was pushed to 3/10 and now is this friday 3/18).. Unfortunately they said they will not refund my deposit under and circumstances, so I would suggest calling and asking for an extension... But in terms of getting your money back I would say it is EXTREMELY unlikely. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the great feedback, and I've decided that I'll go ahead and accept for now. I'm pretty sure the refund won't come back (no hurt in trying, but I see your points) and I also hope it doesn't leave a negative mark with the company should I try to apply another time. Extension is probably not going to happen simply because I have no idea when in April we'll find out. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all of the great feedback, and I've decided that I'll go ahead and accept for now. I'm pretty sure the refund won't come back (no hurt in trying, but I see your points) and I also hope it doesn't leave a negative mark with the company should I try to apply another time. Extension is probably not going to happen simply because I have no idea when in April we'll find out. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Thanks again!

As long as you're professional about it and tell them you're not coming asap (if that should happen I certainly hope not) it won't hurt you next time you apply.

Does anyone know if this policy is still in effect? Can you decline if something comes up after you've accepted but before the program starts? Is a refund possible and will you be prohibited from ever applying again?

There is a very slight chance of something happening in my personal life that could prevent me from going. I definitely don't anticipate it, hence why I accepted, but I was just curious how lenient they are on that sort of thing if an emergency comes up.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this policy is still in effect? Can you decline if something comes up after you've accepted but before the program starts? Is a refund possible and will you be prohibited from ever applying again?

There is a very slight chance of something happening in my personal life that could prevent me from going. I definitely don't anticipate it, hence why I accepted, but I was just curious how lenient they are on that sort of thing if an emergency comes up.

I've heard of people getting a refund only in rare cases (such as sudden, extreme illness). It shouldn't affect your chances of getting in again in the future, however.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter