BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

With the distances between those cabins and as you said how they build now, I can't see how they keep trees in between the cabins. I do think they will keep trees in that loop behind the cabins that seems to be a ring road. I also think they will clear the trees in front of the cabins to make them "lakeview"

But if you look at the plans back in Post #23 on the first page, it appears that there are wooded areas between the current VWL and the cabins on the Ft. Wilderness (south? I think) as well as wooded areas on the north (?) side that are excluded from the development area. Since those areas are excluded, I think a significant amount of wooded area is going to remain and will shield both WL and VWL from seeing the construction.

We have a stay planned in October at VWL and have no intention on cancelling or switching resorts. This doesn't bother me in the least.

The estimate was in one of the contractor's proposals that was attached to the permit and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else. The link to all of the documents, via the SFWMD website, is in POST 1. This is the actual comment:

View attachment 97764

OK, thank you.

They might start setting up in August (bringing in equipment, etc.), but no actual demolition or digging until September. Unless they move the schedule up. Which seeing how many delays the Poly had with construction starting and ending when it was supposed to, I'm thinking we might be mostly safe!

Do you think there is a chance this could help people who want to request a specific room placement? If yes, when should I make the request?

First time staying in a WDW resort (if you couldn't tell).

But if you look at the plans back in Post #23 on the first page, it appears that there are wooded areas between the current VWL and the cabins on the Ft. Wilderness (south? I think) as well as wooded areas on the north (?) side that are excluded from the development area. Since those areas are excluded, I think a significant amount of wooded area is going to remain and will shield both WL and VWL from seeing the construction.

We have a stay planned in October at VWL and have no intention on cancelling or switching resorts. This doesn't bother me in the least.

Sorry, I meant in between the individual cabins. I do think they will try to keep as many as they can.

When was estimated start date again?
September.

I just posted on another forum that I was worried about our trip this December. We have never stayed at WL but don't want to be in the middle of construction. We are booked in a courtyard view~with any luck we won't see much of the construction if we have that view.

This category (and South Wing Standard View rooms) will be impacted the least:). Just request an INNER or WL CYV.

Thanks Kook for the info. Another beautiful WDW resort ruined by DCV expansion :sad2:. So sad. I loved strolling along the Lake Nature Trail, encounters with deer. So pretty and peaceful. Won't be anymore.

Let's not panic quite yet. I'm not sure what will happen to our beloved trail. The cabins seem to be placed right in front of where the trail currently sits so it might remain:

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 7.26.34 PM.png

There are many ecological impact studies that were required for permitting this project. I took another look at some of the studies and they do mention the trail in a way that makes me think it might remain:

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 7.46.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 7.44.35 PM.png

I thought it was interesting that in this report they list species that are indigenous to this area, but they don't list armadillos and they're all over WL:scratchin
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 7.40.01 PM.png

Do you know where the scaffolding is right now? I just changed my reservation to the VWL and now I'm second guessing myself. I've never stayed at this resort before. I will be there the last week in July after BWI.

I also put in a request for our deluxe studio. I asked for upper floor pool view. Do the villas have dormers?

Sorry for all the questions. I love all the great advice I get here.:) Thanks!

The last report on the WL thread put it still in the WL CYV room-area.

They're also adding some ponds to that area in front of VWL. Disney has to follow very strict environmental rules and regulations since these are wetlands and areas that require special handling. Though I like the area as it is and it won't ever be the same after this, I'm confident that great care is being taken to preserve as much of the foliage as possible and/or replace with appropriate foliage as necessary.

I took another look at the wetland/other surface impact studies which have estimated the affect of this project on the land. Here are some notable excerpts which give us a better idea of what to expect:

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 7.27.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 7.29.09 PM.png

Do you think there is a chance this could help people who want to request a specific room placement? If yes, when should I make the request?

First time staying in a WDW resort (if you couldn't tell).

The Room Assignors always do their best to accommodate guests' requests. You can add a request as soon as you book. The Room Assignor will see the request 3-5 days prior to arrival.

Sorry, I meant in between the individual cabins. I do think they will try to keep as many as they can.

From the sketch, it looks like the space between each cabin is equal to the width of one cabin, so about 40'. These plans don't include planting areas so we don't yet know what will be planted and where, but they'll have those plans eventually. I found them for the never-built Mediterranean Resort that were included with these plans.

Last edited:
We are booked with a Standard View over Xmas - I'm not very familiar with the resort - will these rooms overlook the construction zone? Thanks! We would really like to keep our reservation there as we have always wanted to see WL at Xmas!

We are booked with a Standard View over Xmas - I'm not very familiar with the resort - will these rooms overlook the construction zone? Thanks! We would really like to keep our reservation there as we have always wanted to see WL at Xmas!
This should help you - I posted it on Monday, and I would keep your reservation and enjoy the beauty of the Lodge at Christmas:santa:

The biggest view impact will be to rooms on upper floors and the Deluxe rooms at the end of the South Wing will be most impacted by looking directly over the new restaurant and Southern cabin construction off to the right. Also, higher WL rooms facing VWL and VWL villas that face the pool/Bay Lake will have a clear view of construction. Deluxe rooms at the end of the North Wing and Woods View rooms will be impacted by the cabin construction, modification to the Otter Pond and new walkways. Standard View rooms in the North Wing will be impacted by the parking lot modification and cabin/walkway construction.

The least impact will be to Standard View South Wing rooms and VWL villas that face toward Cub's Den/North Wing and the bus stop area.

Also, we don't know what rooms/villas they may remove from inventory at some point during the construction.

Can someone just verify these things for me before I take this info and run off panicking and do something stupid like change my resort AGAIN.

1) Right now there is no indication this construction will take place prior to September.
2) No indications that it will have any impact on the swimming pool.

Right?:teeth:

I couldn't care less if there is some dirt being shoved around, scaffolding, etc. while I'm there. I got a decent deal and I have no desire to switch hotels. I'm happy to risk them having construction equipment being set up while we are there (or not..since I read September on here). I just CANNOT live with no pool since 80% of the vacation for my kids will be spent in the pool. Just checking. Thanks.

WDWKOOK.... Thank you for clarifying. You do a great job keeping up with all that's going on in Disney.

This should help you - I posted it on Monday, and I would keep your reservation and enjoy the beauty of the Lodge at Christmas:santa:

The biggest view impact will be to rooms on upper floors and the Deluxe rooms at the end of the South Wing will be most impacted by looking directly over the new restaurant and Southern cabin construction off to the right. Also, higher WL rooms facing VWL and VWL villas that face the pool/Bay Lake will have a clear view of construction. Deluxe rooms at the end of the North Wing and Woods View rooms will be impacted by the cabin construction, modification to the Otter Pond and new walkways. Standard View rooms in the North Wing will be impacted by the parking lot modification and cabin/walkway construction.

The least impact will be to Standard View South Wing rooms and VWL villas that face toward Cub's Den/North Wing and the bus stop area.

Also, we don't know what rooms/villas they may remove from inventory at some point during the construction.

You're the best!!! Thank you so much for reposting this. I must have missed that part of it when I read it. I'll just make sure that our request is "South Wing" in hopes of being in that section. I can't wait to see the Lodge at Christmas - the tree alone gives me butterflies in my stomach to think about!!! Thank you so much for all of your information and all you do - we are so excited to finally get to stay at WL!

We're booked at VWL during Thanksgiving week and I'm not inclined to switch resorts (at least yet, anyway). For one, who knows if the construction will start in September, and secondly, even if it does, I'm not sure how much it will affect us. As long as they're not making a bunch of noise before I wake up or when I go to sleep, I can live with it. It's our first stay there and I think the perfect resort for that time of year, so I'm planning on sticking with it.

Kook so much info, thanks for sharing. Interesting about the armadillo slight! Were they discussing the unpaved trail along lakeshore or the paved trail that's set back? Glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves the trail. According to report they don't think it's used. But again, I'm not sure which trail they are referencing. I always use the unpaved trail, but think I've seen a paved one too?
Even if they do keep it, the bungalows will be right on it so won't have the same feeling of being in the wilderness.

UGH!! After much back and forth I finally convinced my family to book our entire week here for next May (our 11 month DVC window opens next month). There was talk of a split stay, staying at AKL, Saratoga or BLT. This is one of my parent's "home resorts" and they have stayed here many times. I have only stayed here once and it was last Sept while the main pool was closed. I really LOVED the resort and was looking forward to fully enjoying it next May. Now I know there is no way my husband will stay here during major construction. :guilty: I'm off to research the 2 bedrooms at BLT...:(

Can someone just verify these things for me before I take this info and run off panicking and do something stupid like change my resort AGAIN.

1) Right now there is no indication this construction will take place prior to September.
2) No indications that it will have any impact on the swimming pool.

Right?:teeth:

I couldn't care less if there is some dirt being shoved around, scaffolding, etc. while I'm there. I got a decent deal and I have no desire to switch hotels. I'm happy to risk them having construction equipment being set up while we are there (or not..since I read September on here). I just CANNOT live with no pool since 80% of the vacation for my kids will be spent in the pool. Just checking. Thanks.

Resort changing can be fun, but let's not panic quite yet…

1. Thus far, I have only found the reference to the work starting in September.

2. It will eventually have an impact on the VWL swimming pool, but this project won't have any impact on the WL pool that just reopened in December.

WDWKOOK.... Thank you for clarifying. You do a great job keeping up with all that's going on in Disney.

Thank you so much, @mexi:)

You're the best!!! Thank you so much for reposting this. I must have missed that part of it when I read it. I'll just make sure that our request is "South Wing" in hopes of being in that section. I can't wait to see the Lodge at Christmas - the tree alone gives me butterflies in my stomach to think about!!! Thank you so much for all of your information and all you do - we are so excited to finally get to stay at WL!

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words, @Ferrentinos. Did you see the CHRISTMASTIME chapter in the WL/VWL thread?

Kook so much info, thanks for sharing. Interesting about the armadillo slight! Were they discussing the unpaved trail along lakeshore or the paved trail that's set back? Glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves the trail. According to report they don't think it's used. But again, I'm not sure which trail they are referencing. I always use the unpaved trail, but think I've seen a paved one too?
Even if they do keep it, the bungalows will be right on it so won't have the same feeling of being in the wilderness.

You're welcome, Sue:). From the sketches, it's the unpaved trail that runs along Bay Lake, (where all the mosquitoes as big as your head are:sad2:). The blurb I posted yesterday was just an assessment of how the wildlife might be impacted, (armadillos not included:confused:). I just assumed since they mentioned the trail in the assessment, it would remain.

UGH!! After much back and forth I finally convinced my family to book our entire week here for next May (our 11 month DVC window opens next month). There was talk of a split stay, staying at AKL, Saratoga or BLT. This is one of my parent's "home resorts" and they have stayed here many times. I have only stayed here once and it was last Sept while the main pool was closed. I really LOVED the resort and was looking forward to fully enjoying it next May. Now I know there is no way my husband will stay here during major construction. :guilty: I'm off to research the 2 bedrooms at BLT...:(

We should have a lot more information this summer. You could always book VWL and then later change if necessary. But, if you do end up at BLT, the villas are huge and the walk to the MK is so convenient and you're still on Bay Lake;)

Last edited:
Resort changing can be fun, but let's not panic quite yet…

1. Thus far, I have only found the reference to the work starting in September.

2. It will eventually have an impact on the VWL swimming pool, but this project won't have any impact on the WL pool that just reopened in December.

Thank you so much, @mexi:)

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words, @Ferrentinos. Did you see the CHRISTMASTIME chapter in the WL/VWL thread?

You're welcome, Sue:). From the sketches, it's the unpaved trail that runs along Bay Lake, (where all the mosquitoes as big as your head are:sad2:). The blurb I posted yesterday was just an assessment of how the wildlife might be impacted, (armadillos not included:confused:). I just assumed since they mentioned the trail in the assessment, it would remain.

We should have a lot more information tho summer. You could always book VWL and then later change if necessary. But, if you do end up at BLT, the villas are huge and the walk to the MK is so convenient and you're still on Bay Lake;)

WDWKOOK thank you for this information. I look forward to updates as the project progresses.

I'm curious when we are going to hear more details....we already moved hotels but I am still following this.

Is it looking like they are only adding cabins or is there still rumor that some of the lodge rooms will become DVC ?

We LOVED BLT! I have some pictures of the 2 bedroom resorts; if you're interested PM me and I'll send them to you. We had the lake view and were SO pleased with it. :thumbsup2 :tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter