BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

I switched yesterday from the VWL to BLT one bedroom with the help of GS. I'm really bummed to switch because I've been looking forward to staying at WL since booking in February. I'm hoping to get just as excited about BLT. I was just worried that the construction would be too much of a disruption. After this trip I'm planning on going back to WDW in 2018...I'll be staying at WL for sure!

Exactly my thoughts last year on the main pool rehab and we were very pleased with AKL. This time we are staying at WL with the FD and $100 offer because there was no availability for our multiple room ressie. I'll be researching options for next time because I doubt I'll want to deal with WL once things get well underway. Really kind of thinking possibly pushing for a cruise.

I would be thrilled if the discount was offered during the FD portion of our stay. We are rarely in our room once we check into our FD package and you just can't beat that location. That's an amazing comp.

However, we are doing a split stay and this is our 3 night room only CL (pre-FD CBR check-in) just to relax and enjoy the resort/amenities. So staying with construction around definitely defeats our purpose, you know what I mean?

We will definitely enjoy our family's favorite - AKL CL. However, we were looking forward to trying out WL. Oh, well...next time!

I also have a hard time believing the main lodge will not be affected in some way, especially since I read somewhere that rooms/floors in the main lodge were being converted to DVC. Not sure if that's true though...

Last edited:
I took advantage of the Fall Savings Offer yesterday and switched to the WL from PORFQ for the week after Thanksgiving. We had a king guarantee (just my wife and I), but switched to a bunk bed room/courtyard view because we have never stayed at WL and wanted to be there during Christmas. In the notes we requested to switch to a king room if available, since I would rather have the king bed than the courtyard view. I knew about the construction and the Disney agent said there would be potential "noise" from 9 to 7. I agreed to those terms. However, she did not list amenity closures: Recreation rentals, spa treatments, recreation trails--all of which we were planning on experiencing. I only learned about that today from this thread (Thanks!).

So what do you think are my options? Any likelihood that I might call and they offer to move me to another Deluxe at no cost or offer the $100 discount? Is the theming and Christmas decorating enough of a plus for me to just stay where we are?

I took advantage of the Fall Savings Offer yesterday and switched to the WL from PORFQ for the week after Thanksgiving. We had a king guarantee (just my wife and I), but switched to a bunk bed room/courtyard view because we have never stayed at WL and wanted to be there during Christmas. In the notes we requested to switch to a king room if available, since I would rather have the king bed than the courtyard view. I knew about the construction and the Disney agent said there would be potential "noise" from 9 to 7. I agreed to those terms. However, she did not list amenity closures: Recreation rentals, spa treatments, recreation trails--all of which we were planning on experiencing. I only learned about that today from this thread (Thanks!).

So what do you think are my options? Any likelihood that I might call and they offer to move me to another Deluxe at no cost or offer the $100 discount? Is the theming and Christmas decorating enough of a plus for me to just stay where we are?

You knew about the construction and got a discount. I am not sure why Disney should offer you more off on your trip. Not trying to be rude but most of the people getting a credit was already booked before the construction. I am coming in November and booked this back in Dec of 2014. I wasn't offered anything other than if you want to switch you can call. No discount or offer me to move with my discount that I had. I am mostly likely going to cancel due to family issues. Like I said you booked when you knew it was going to be construction and got a discount. Go ahead a call and good luck. Like I said I am not trying to be rude.

I don't think you would really qualify for the $100/night discount because it was generally offered to those who had booked prior to the announcement earlier this month. This said, you could certainly ask about changing resorts because you weren't aware of the closures. That would be dependent on availability. I wouldn't expect any discounts though because you were made aware of the construction when you booked and you agreed to those terms. There are alternatives for each of these amenities listed in Post 1 of this thread - Ft. Wilderness has rentals, Grand Floridian and others have spa treatments, etc. I booked FD earlier this year and did receive the discount because there was no availability for my larger party at another resort. BUT in accepting it, I agreed to stay at WL and not to make any further changes to my booking or the deal was null and void.

As far as is it worth staying, WL is lovely when decorated for Christmas. You have to decide what it's worth to you. Hope that helps you some.

Please could someone help with some advice? I have two rooms booked for 15 nights November next year and am a bit nervous about the construction. I called UK Guest Services yesterday who were not very helpful at all. i got told that they are only concentrating on reservations up until January next year and that I needed to wait and I would be contacted approximately 5 months from my arrival date. I was also told that they are offering no discounts and if we decide to move resorts, it would be at our own cost.
Looking at the availability of rooms at the moment for next November, most of the deluxe hotels have only club level or specific views available and they are a lot more expensive.
What will Disney do, if we want to change resorts when we are contacted but the rooms available are more expensive than what we paid at WL? I just don't know whether to change resorts now, or wait and see what happens. We were there last year when the pool refurb started and the jack hammering was very loud. I also do not understand why the offers are so different from Disney UK and Disney USA. Its very frustrating.

What will Disney do, if we want to change resorts when we are contacted but the rooms available are more expensive than what we paid at WL? .

I have moved from the Poly to another (more expensive) resort due to the construction. We were required to pay the increased price at the new resort. I didn't know about the construction when I booked. No compensation - basically just 'What do you want to do?" attitude.
However, I have read that some guests were moved at no extra cost (post arrival, perhaps?). I wouldn't expect that, however. I expect that they would charge you the going rate for the resort that you are moving to, especially if you booked the resort knowing about the construction.

AKL has similar rates to the WL and would be a good option to switch to if you aren't OK with construction during your stay.

Personally, I would move to either AKL, a moderate or the Swan/Dolphin. But then, I NEVER stay knowingly in a WDW resort with construction. I did that ONCE - never again!

I took advantage of the Fall Savings Offer yesterday and switched to the WL from PORFQ for the week after Thanksgiving. I knew about the construction and the Disney agent said there would be potential "noise" from 9 to 7. I agreed to those terms. However, she did not list amenity closures: Recreation rentals, spa treatments, recreation trails--all of which we were planning on experiencing. I only learned about that today from this thread (Thanks!).

It seems highly unlikely as the Fall Savings Offer is still going on that you wouldn't just be booked under that offer at another resort with availability. The trail to Fort Wilderness is still open and as mentioned you can rent bikes still at WL, rent watercraft at Ft Wilderness, and use the spa at other resorts. If you think the lack of amenities will be a big factor than I'd suggest rebooking under the Fall Offer at a different resort now before availability decreases. You're already getting a discount staying at WL.

As others have posted, I don't think you have options because you booked well after the construction was officially announced, along with all of the different closures. People who get the $100 discount, or were offered to move without paying more, were booked before the announcement.
Wondering why you had the king bed initially, changed to courtyard view, but really want the king?

I have moved from the Poly to another (more expensive) resort due to the construction. We were required to pay the increased price at the new resort. I didn't know about the construction when I booked. No compensation - basically just 'What do you want to do?" attitude.
However, I have read that some guests were moved at no extra cost (post arrival, perhaps?). I wouldn't expect that, however. I expect that they would charge you the going rate for the resort that you are moving to, especially if you booked the resort knowing about the construction.

AKL has similar rates to the WL and would be a good option to switch to if you aren't OK with construction during your stay.

Personally, I would move to either AKL, a moderate or the Swan/Dolphin. But then, I NEVER stay knowingly in a WDW resort with construction. I did that ONCE - never again!

I booked months ago at the beginning of the year, well before the construction announcements. We spend most of our time at MK so the WL is ideal. I've stayed at AKL before and had issues with the transportation so that would not be a resort that I would want to go back to.

I booked months ago at the beginning of the year, well before the construction announcements. We spend most of our time at MK so the WL is ideal. I've stayed at AKL before and had issues with the transportation so that would not be a resort that I would want to go back to.

I think that the information that you have been given is unfortunately correct. It is likely that you will have to pay the extra cost if you move to a more expensive resort. If you want to wait and see what happens, you may have less choice for moving than you have now. Plus, the other MK resorts are quite a bit more expensive than the WL - if you are looking at anything more than SV it can be a lot of extra $$$.

However, you can always opt to stay at the WL. If you are hoping to get a discount to stay there, it might happen. It seems that some people are getting discount offers to stay. But, do you want to spend your vacation in a resort with construction? Is WL still ideal with construction? If so, then it makes sense to stay here and try to get a discount because of the disruption.

On a side note:
I am surprised that you had transportation issues at AKL. The transportation is usually excellent from this resort partly because The buses only go to Jambo and Kidani. It is a bit further to the MK, however, so the ride is about 10 mins longer. Otherwise we have never had an issue here in 7 different stays.

Good luck with your decision.

On a side note:
I am surprised that you had transportation issues at AKL. The transportation is usually excellent from this resort partly because The buses only go to Jambo and Kidani. It is a bit further to the MK, however, so the ride is about 10 mins longer. Otherwise we have never had an issue here in 7 different stays.

I also had an excellent experience with AKL buses last fall. I think they were only crowded first thing in the morning or at park close (like every other bus). Once, we had issues leaving the AK park but that was a driver issue only and is was quickly rectified. I loved AKL and would go there again. We are staying put at WL with this construction because we have multiple rooms and we'll be on the very early start of it so hoping there's not a huge impact on the main lodge.

It's not necessarily true that the $100 offer was offered to everyone who booked prior to the announcement. I booked WELL before any official/unofficial announcement was made, and they didn't offer me anything of value. I ended up getting the Fall discount applied when it became available, so I'm satisfied with my final price, but I just want it to be clear that not everyone was offered an equal compensation.

It's not necessarily true that the $100 offer was offered to everyone who booked prior to the announcement. I booked WELL before any official/unofficial announcement was made, and they didn't offer me anything of value. I ended up getting the Fall discount applied when it became available, so I'm satisfied with my final price, but I just want it to be clear that not everyone was offered an equal compensation.
It wasn't offered on my ressie until my TA asked for it. Glad you did the fall discount applied. You do have to know these things and am grateful for everyone at the DIS who helps out in that way. It's why I came out of lurkdom and am trying to pay it forward.

It wasn't offered on my ressie until my TA asked for it. Glad you did the fall discount applied. You do have to know these things and am grateful for everyone at the DIS who helps out in that way. It's why I came out of lurkdom and am trying to pay it forward.

I guess I should have been more specific, I also had my TA ask after I saw on here that that was the "offer on offer" if you will, and it was not offered to me.

I think that the information that you have been given is unfortunately correct. It is likely that you will have to pay the extra cost if you move to a more expensive resort. If you want to wait and see what happens, you may have less choice for moving than you have now. Plus, the other MK resorts are quite a bit more expensive than the WL - if you are looking at anything more than SV it can be a lot of extra $$$.

However, you can always opt to stay at the WL. If you are hoping to get a discount to stay there, it might happen. It seems that some people are getting discount offers to stay. But, do you want to spend your vacation in a resort with construction? Is WL still ideal with construction? If so, then it makes sense to stay here and try to get a discount because of the disruption.

On a side note:

Ideally we do not want to stay at the WL while construction is going on, after going through it last year with the pool refurbishment. I've already checked what other deluxe resorts have available and none of them seem to have standard view rooms available, they are all club level or theme park view etc which is a lot more expensive on top of what we have paid for the WL, especially as we are booked for 15 nights and have two rooms. I was not offered the $100 a night discount, just told to wait and I would be contacted 5 months from my reservation which is very frustrating. I booked at the beginning of the year well before the announcements. AKL is a lovely resort, we stayed there for our honeymoon in 2005. We did feel that it was very remote from the rest of the parks and the buses were delayed a lot. I know things can change in 10 years but after experiencing the transport from WL last year, we loved being so close to MK.

Ideally we do not want to stay at the WL while construction is going on, after going through it last year with the pool refurbishment. I've already checked what other deluxe resorts have available and none of them seem to have standard view rooms available, they are all club level or theme park view etc which is a lot more expensive on top of what we have paid for the WL, especially as we are booked for 15 nights and have two rooms. I was not offered the $100 a night discount, just told to wait and I would be contacted 5 months from my reservation which is very frustrating. I booked at the beginning of the year well before the announcements. AKL is a lovely resort, we stayed there for our honeymoon in 2005. We did feel that it was very remote from the rest of the parks and the buses were delayed a lot. I know things can change in 10 years but after experiencing the transport from WL last year, we loved being so close to MK.

It sounds like you are disappointed that the one 'reasonably priced' MK resort is having construction issues AGAIN and that it will impact you trip. I am sorry and I do understand your frustration. We have had the same issue over the last couple of years with the Poly construction. I wanted so badly to take my two grand daughters to the Poly to stay and enjoy the wonderful experience there that we had when my children were young. We decided against staying there with much frustration and sorrow. The opportunity for their first visit to be at the Poly during their young preschool years is now lost forever. I was unhappy about it, but there was nothing that anyone could do. Sometimes things don't work out the way that we want. WE did go on the trip, stayed at the CR and YC and had a wonderful time. Would it have been better if we could have stayed at the Poly? Sure, I think so, but life is too short to worry or stay frustrated about the things that we can't change. (BTW, We were like you and had the Poly booked before the construction was announced. We were all set and so excited!) What a disappointment! I still feel it a little, years later. We weren't offered any deals to move for the same money anywhere else. We paid a lot more money for our CR TPV room that we booked in place of our more highly desired garden view room at the Poly. It was unfortunate, but our only other choice was the even more expensive options at the GF and my son wasn't willing to go with even more expensive rooms. Yes, we had two rooms, also, so the price increases were very painful. We didn't want to move and agonized about our choice.

I wish that I could say something to make it easier, but it looks like you have to face the question: What do we do now? The perfect choice that we had booked and wanted is now going to be under construction and therefore not desirable. AND there is no good option to replace our choice. AND the lesser replacement options cost more money!!! Our experience was that Disney did not give us anything at all to try to make it any easier. No discounts to stay at the Poly, no offers to move us for less money. Hopefully you will be more fortunate and get a magical offer, but I wouldn't count on it. At this point you need to look realistically at the options as they stand now and decide on a course of action. Waiting for an offer is an option and might work in 5 months time, so perhaps that will be the option that you want to take. It may reduce the few options for moving to another resort even further, though. It does have some risk. We decided that we didn't want a construction zone and that the risk of ending up in one was worse than staying elsewhere and learning that if we hadn't moved everything would have been OK. It is a lesser of two evils choice. Never a happy decision.

It IS frustrating! I feel your pain. It is NOT how you want to feel booking a trip to WDW!

Good luck!

For those of you who rented DVC points directly or through a third party (such as Davids) and are looking to switch resorts, there is a way to deal directly with Guest Services and avoid relying on the booking member to do it for you. We simply had the booking member call DVC and give permission to work directly with us. The room availability changes on a daily basis so you may need to be patient to get what you want. We ended up at AKL which is great for us.

Davids was very accommodating and responsive. Also GS was quite helpful and even called us a few times to let us know what was available.

Also, not sure how accurate this information is but the CM told us the pool demo would be done first and would be extremely noisy. She said they are shutting down a significant number of villas. As our stay is early Nov 2015, we decided to move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter