Why the name change from MGM to Hollywood Studios.

SpaceAce

Mouseketeer
Can someone summarize quickly why the change from MGM to Hollywood Studios? I was in the dark until I actually saw it during Spring Break.

Thanks.

Can someone summarize quickly why the change from MGM to Hollywood Studios? I was in the dark until I actually saw it during Spring Break.

Thanks.

Purportedly Disney's license to use the MGM name expired and hence the name change. A change to the studio's name was in the rumor mill for several years. There were several other names that were considered - Disney/Pixar Studios, Disney/ABC Studios but Disney decided on Hollywood instead.

will take a while to get used to HS or DS or whatever the new abbreviation is going to be (compared to MGM)!

The name Hollywood loans itself to other uses such as Hollyday and Hollyween for special events.

Just to add. Apparently, there are several different groups that own the rights to different parts of MGM. Among them, one group owns the rights to the name, while another owns the right to the film library. The "name" owners wanted way too much money to extend the contract with Disney, so Disney said fine we will just name it something else. This is why you can still see see MGM movie clips in the movie ride in the studios. I still find myself calling it MGM rather than DHS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter