Why Spend $$$ on a Deluxe?

I didn't read all of the responses, so forgive me if this has already been stated again and again. We stayed at POR for our last Disney vacation. It was wonderful and we would do it again in a heart beat. However, my kids can not sleep (and will not sleep in the same bed). We have to have a room with a bunk bed. The only resorts that offer this is the deluxe resorts. So, for our next trip, we have the WL with a bunk bed room reserved. Is it costing more for the trip than the last time. Sure. However, my son is now a Disney adult so the price would have gone up some regardless. I can't wait. We do the dining plan because I like to have our meals paid for before we get there. It's one less thing for me to worry about.

Ahh yes, I forgot about SLEEPING arrangements -- at most deluxes we can have a daybed, so 2 queens and 1 daybed = lots of great sleep for all 4 of us as we can spread out and everyone is happy.

Also, LOCATION is huge for us. Having a double jogger and being able to walk to parks or monorail to parks makes a very relaxing trip for the kids and the adults in our family.

We are willing to pay the extra money to get the above perks.

I guess it really up to the person or family. If you don't like spending the money for the deluxe's you book what you are comfortable with.

With that said all of our early married life and it is going on 45 years now. We had to stay in moderate or even cheap hotels if we could even afford a vacation. And we didn't start staying on property until 1995. Before that we came to Disney once when DH was on a business trip at Cape Kennedy, my son & I went with him. His hotel was paid by his company for the week we were there. He got a allowance for his meals & it was enough for the three of us. After the trip was over we drove up to Disney World and stayed a cheap hotel ( it was really lousy) but we had to pay for this. Did Disney for two days & Sea World for one day. My flight along with my son we had to pay out of pocket. My DH's company let him change his flight to leave when we did. So that was nice of them. Went one more time but stayed at a notch up than first one but still hurt us money wise.

In 1995 we decided after all these years of saving & cutting corners we would stay at the hotels we wanted to. I really don't care what people say about where we stay at. it is our hard earned money and you can't take it you.

And when it come to a time that we can't afford to stay on site we will stay off site if our health is good.

Each to their own..I never knock anyone for staying where they do as it is their business. MHO :)

I am also a super budget savy mom and we just booked our 3rd trip in 7 years staying at a moderate once again. We had the money saved to do deluxe but the more I thought about it I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra. I just changed our ressies today after initially booking WL. We are now at port orleans riverside in a royal guest room:) which my DD's are super excited about. At this age princess is all they truly care about (don't think the older one even understood deluxe vs moderate) plus it saved 800 off our package. Now would I stay at a deluxe in the future....maybe... But saving the extra on our room gave me the wiggle room to book them at the BBB:)

Some of the arguments I've heard are....

Indoor corridors -- does that really matter? Absolutely. I will not stay where the door is open to the elements.

Better transportation -- never had an issue with buses at any of the resorts we've stayed. And we've never had a car. this is less of an issue although I will not disregard it.

Nicer rooms -- thought POFQ room was lovely! and the deluxe rooms are lovelier with little details like upgraded amenities.

Closer proximity to MK -- when we go we visit all the parks, so don't care if we're closer to one. Again, never an issue with transportation. a non issue for us as MK is the one park we are most likely to skip altogether.. but I would visit AK daily. which is why I like AKL/

Beautiful lobby/grounds/views/etc. -- Can get all that just by visiting! you get more when you are taking a lazy after dinner stroll before heading directly to your room for bed.

I guess if we were going to spend our whole vacation hanging out at the resort, we might be more worried about it. But we're there to visit the parks! Yes, we'll take breaks, swim in the pool, eat in the food court. But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go. and for us, we spend just as much time at the resort, if not more, than we do at the parks so for us having that extra luxury is very important to us.

So let me hear it! How do you justify spending that kind of money on a room? Do you spend all your time there? Is it just to say "been there, done that'? Is the difference really worth twice the cost?

I'm honestly curious about this...

bottom line I am willing to pay for the nice accommodations and amenities. and i do so by only going once every 3-5 years and saving. you couldn't pay me to stay at a value under any circumstances..I'd go off site or Shades of Green first.

if the checkbook can handle the total cost, I donlt care that the same 'experience' can be had for half the price.

Why go to WDW instead of camping upstate?

Why go to a fancy restuarant instead of McDonalds?

Why own a car instead of taking public transportation?

Because these are the choices we make.

We're a family of 5. A regular room at a Value or Mod won't accomodate us. (Nope, not even the Murphy Bed rooms at POR-- my son is too tall for the Murphy Bed.)

But, more than that, we go Deluxe because we enjoy it. Because we typically save for a few years between WDW trips, and we choose to spend that money on the amenities offered by the Deluxe resorts. We love the park access-- we can WALK to two parks from the Beach Club. We love the pools-- my kids are total water rats and StormAlong Bay is Nirvana. We love the Deluxe feel. We love the theming.

That said, we have never yet paid rack rate. In 2008 we got a 40% PIN. In 2009 it was 4/3. Last year it was a 30% PIN. If we don't get a deal of some sort for next summer, it's entirely possible that we'll use the Teacher Discount to get a Deluxe Alcove room at the Dolphin.

But to answer your question: Why?? Because that's the choice some choose to make. No "arguments" needed. It's how we choose to spend our money. No reason to "justify" it to anyone at all.

I am a complete penny pincher as well, but I won't stay anywhere but deluxe. I certainly won't pay rack rate! We take advantage of discounts and if we can't get a discount, we will stay at Swan or Dolphin and even stayed at the Ritz last year in a suite that was less than a room at GF. We've stayed at AoA (never again) and POR (nice, but I cannot navigate a QS with my DS). I want my vacation to be a vacation. At the deluxes, I always have the option of a TS and a place to go to at night (resort hopping on the monorail, sitting on the Poly beach, walking to BW if staying at an EP resort) that doesn't require getting on another bus! We go a lot, so I may choose a monorail resort and just do EP and MK or do a split between an MK resort and an EP resort. Sometimes we skip AK altogether because I cannot stand the buses!

It's not been there done that for us. It's been there, won't go anywhere else! You said you stayed value and went to mod and won't go back to value - you probably answered your own question right there!

I have no issues staying at any category of resort at Disney, but we opt to stay deluxe on longer trips b/c we spend more time at the resort so we like to stay somewhere a little nicer.

It's odd, I suppose, but I will only stay in better hotels everywhere I go except WDW. I've paid $798. Per night for the hotel I love in NYC. I always stay there when I visit, once or twice a year. But for WDW, we now stay at Pop. Have stayed at both deluxe and moderates and my large family just loves the cheesy Disney atmosphere at Pop. It's a personal choice and if someone makes critical remarks about those who choose one over the other they're just showing how badly they need to get a life. I'm happy for everyone who gets to enjoy a Disney vacation. You deserve to spend your vacation dollars however you please. 13 more days until our next magical family vacation!

Thanks to all who posted their reasons. Some of the things I never thought of. Some don't apply to our family ("baby" is now 11, so no strollers, carrying tired kids, etc.). Our trips are usually only 6-7 days, so we don't spend a lot of time laying around the resort. Maybe as we get older and go on an adults only trip, it will be different. I guess I should have included a question about who's in your party. That seems to make a huge difference in the responses.

I think I'm still of the thought that even if we could easily afford it, I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a room! I think we can all agree that ALL the prices for Disney resorts are way inflated. But every time we've gone, we've gotten Free Dining, so when I think about that $200 paying for our room AND to feed my family of 4 for the day, it doesn't seem so bad. I just can't imagine paying even more when I was perfectly happy at POFQ. But that's just our family.

The only reason we ended up at moderate--and probably will again--is the fact that we like TS meals included in our dining package. Once we upgraded the free QSDP at a value for all four of us, the price was basically the same as just staying at moderate and having the regular DP included. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy staying at a Value again and would in a heartbeat.

I'm glad that most of the responses here were sincere and respectful. For the few who seemed a bit angry, I'm sorry you were offended by my questions. And I honestly don't think this was an "odd" question at all! Obviously, a lot of people responded so it seems it was a worthwhile one to ask!

When we decide to stay deluxe we know we are splurging on the resort and definately not because we think it is worth the extra $$ over Mod resorts. When we do stay at deluxe now, it will usually be a short trip to save some $$. We have had GREAT vacations at all 3 levels of WDW resorts. On 8 day vacations we like to have 1 or 2 resort days, so it's not like we just use the resort to sleep and shower. We have taken up to 2 strollers and will be taking a sit-n-stand later this month, and rarely have any issues with them on buses.

I've only stayed in deluxe when someone else is paying. DH has had several four day seminars at Disney, and the whole family usually goes along. That said though I totally get why someone would pay for a deluxe if it fit in their vacation budget. It's just a different vibe -- like it so much more than moderates like POR. I'm not meaning to knock POR -- that's more what would fit in my budget, and it's perfectly nice. I'm just saying I liked staying in deluxe so much more. Given my typical vacation budget and the length of time I'd like to stay when it's my own money, though, deluxe just isn't in the cards.

It also depends on the atmosphere of the resort. Personally, I found Ft. Wilderness to be MUCH nicer than say BWI.

It also depends on the atmosphere of the resort. Personally, I found Ft. Wilderness to be MUCH nicer than say BWI.

I really like Fort Wilderness too. Great choice is you happen to own a motorhome or have a friend who owns one and invites you to go along.

I stay deluxe because life is short and I only have a few vacation days a year. Also due to my child's disability I may be in the room a lot so would like a nice room and a balcony is relaxing. To be able to step out of the room and see fireworks is a huge plus. The older we get the more expensive our resort choice.

My dh, dd and I have stayed Deluxe, Mod and Value, but my mom and dad (who are in their late seventies) always stay deluxe. They don't even switch it up.....they always stay at the Beach Club! Funny thing is, they don't use Stormalong Bay at all, nor do they dine at Cape May. They rarely take the ferry from BC to DHS.

What they love about BC is the location. They like walking to the Boardwalk, World Showcase, and the Swan and Dolphin. They love all the dining choices nearby, without having to get on a Disney bus. They enjoy sitting out on their BC balcony with a glass of wine before dinner, taking in the view. So, for them, it's always deluxe....always the BC lol.

My family likes checking out the different resorts. I think you get a new experience each time. I'm really looking forward to our stay at POR. For the trip after that, we'll probably do a split stay, CSR and GF. I like the theming at CSR and as far as GF, I'd like to experience a stay at a monorail resort and that's the only one that appeals to me.

I think every level of WDW resort, regardless of category, has something special to offer.pixiedust:

Not to be rude or anything, but to me the question "Why spend $$$ on a deluxe?" is to me similar to "Why go on vacation, when you can have a great time at home with your family and save so much money?"

Vacations are frivolous and fun, a real treat and a real luxury that believe it or not many people cannot afford and never go on. // The fun part is having a budget / money to spend and deciding how to spend it. And that is going to vary so much person by person based on dollars to start with and values/priority differences each family has as big factors in each individual family's decisions.

Not to be rude or anything, but to me the question "Why spend $$$ on a deluxe?" is to me similar to "Why go on vacation, when you can have a great time at home with your family and save so much money?"

Vacations are frivolous and fun, a real treat and a real luxury that believe it or not many people cannot afford and never go on. // The fun part is having a budget / money to spend and deciding how to spend it. And that is going to vary so much person by person based on dollars to start with and values/priority differences each family has as big factors in each individual family's decisions.

I couldn't have said it any better. We, as a society, often forget that the sheer fact we're even able to take a vacation is a gift.

OP didn't mention balconies/patios. Those are a huge plus with a larger family as is interior hallways. This gives adults (or at least one adult) the ability to go do something without being too far away or fighting the elements.

I didn't read through ALL the replies to your question, but read enough. Seems that the people that stay in Deluxe really LOVE it. I probably would too, but just can't justify that amount of money on a room either.

We are retired military and use the military discount often. By January we will have tried every value hotel and every moderate. So far, I haven't found a moderate that I like. Can't justify the extra $$$ at all. Values are beds and bathrooms - all we need. We don't stay at the resort and we don't go to the pool. We live in FL and have a pool so we really don't go on vacation to go swimming. Loved AoA and after the next 2 trips, I imagine we won't stay anywhere else. (We are a family of 6 and have to either get a suite or 2 rooms.)

That being said, if someone else is paying, I would LOVE to stay at a monorail resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter