Why she runs...... *update, page 3*

Dan Murphy

We are family.
As you may know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. We all seem to have a cause we lean to and embrace; I guess with Marie now a 7 year breast cancer survivor *** (she just got her annual 'OK' from her oncologist about a week ago :goodvibes), this is a cause I embrace. I know many other here do also. If you ever want to stop and meet some neat ladies, stop by and say hello to the folks on the DIS Breast Cancer Survivors - GAGWTA! thread.

I watched the show Dateline yesterday. Breast cancer survivor, Melissa Etheridge, was one of the guests, discussing confronting, head on, her battle with the beast. It was a wonderful show, about a real fighter of a lady, one who tells it like it is.

She spoke of a song she wrote, I Run for Life, which almost sounds like an anthem of courage and fight against a disease that so many have not given in to. I downloaded the song from iTunes and added it to the DIS Breast Cancer Survivors - GAGWTA! thread for the ladies there. I thought it might be good to share here too, on the regular part of the CB, others might benefit from it also.

These are the lyrics, very, very moving. :goodvibes And a link to listen while you read...............

I Run For Life ---click for sound

It's been years since they told her about it
The darkness her body possessed
And the scars are still there in the mirror
Everyday that she gets herself dressed
Though the pain is miles and miles behind her
And the fear is now a docile beast
If you ask her why she is still running
She'll tell you it makes her complete

[Chorus:]
I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your wife
I run for you and me my friend I run for life

It's a blur since they told me about it
How the darkness had taken its toll
And they cut into my skin and they cut into my body
But they will never get a piece of my soul
And now I'm still learning the lesson
To waken when I hear the call
And if you ask me why I am still running
I'll tell you I run for us all

[Chorus]

And someday if they tell you about it
If the darkness knocks on your door
Remember her remember me
We will be running as we have before
Running for answers
Running for more​

And THAT is why she runs............

***(Note, this is a 2005 thread, updated 2014. And Marie is still doing great, 16 years.)

***(Note, repeating above, with an update. This is a 2005 thread, updated 2018. And Marie is still doing great, 20 years later)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this, Dan. Congratulations to Marie on 7 years! I think that breast cancer awareness/research is such a worthy cause. Here in GA they have breast cancer license plates that go to fund research—I’ve got one on my car. A worthy cause indeed.

Dan so very happy to hear that Marie got such a wonderful report! I saw that on TV myself, I have always been a huge fan of Melissa. As you may recall Lauren my dd had a scare this month, all check out to be ok with her. However as a Mom I can tell you how scared I was for my only daughter and to the rest of the woman who have and still are dealing with this issue!

Thamks so much for reminding so many of us of this important issue! :goodvibes

Again Dan another "Great" Thread!

A big congratulations to Marie!!! Thanks also for reminding us. We always need to keep this foremost in our thoughts.

:Pinkbounc And thanks Dan for posting this! :goodvibes I went for my 6 month mammo it was OK and don't have to go back till NEXT October! :banana:

Dan, I'm so glad Marie had a good check-up.

This past Sunday my daughter and I did our first annual walk for breast cancer. It's something that we promsied each other we'd do together each year.

I have so much admiration for the survivors.

Thanks Dan. I'm going to download the song when I get home from work.

Thanks for posting this Dan. I knew from the first time what this song was for, and it makes me cry every time I hear it. This past weekend my DD and completed our annual Breast Cancer walk for life and this was our theme song.

My mom is a breast cancer survivor of 3 years. What breaks my heart is the co-worker we lost the same year my mom was diagnosed. This woman was 34 years old, had beaten it once but lost the fight the second time around leaving a very young daughter.

Congratulations to Marie on 7 years, may she continue to enjoy good health.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter