• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip? Link to New TR 6/24 p136!

Congrats on the thousandth post! That's no small feat, for sure. :goodvibes

Well, it did take 7 years so hopefully it won't take another 7 to get to 20,000. :rotfl:

Is it wrong to be excited about getting 10,000 posts? :rotfl2: I guess it is a little obsessive!

Just wanted to let you know that I am still here, but I am just insanely, obnoxiously behind on your TR so I still have a lot of reading to do. I hope to catch up on your TR soon so I can comment. Sheesh, this must be what happens when I sub to so many TRs!

I hope you are able to catch up. When I get really far behind on a TR I just start from the most recent and read backwards. Hopefully the links will help. Just catch up when you can and thanks for stopping by!

Congrats on 10,000!!! :wizard:

I have been obsessed with reaching 10,000 for the past 1000 posts. Practically counting every one! :lmao: I am not right!

Neat! Congratulations on 10,000 posts!!

Thanks! Lots of hard work! :rotfl2:

What is this I see in your siggie? a PTR? :woohoo: Woo hoo!!!!!

Great update, I love your parade pics! It looks like such a fun parade, I kind of wish we stayed at AK long enough in December to see it, but with me being sick, it just wasn't possible! :confused3 Maybe next time!

Congrats on 10,000! :woohoo: :dance3: :yay:

Great update, I love your parade pics! It looks like such a fun parade, I kind of wish we stayed at AK long enough in December to see it, but with me being sick, it just wasn't possible! :confused3 Maybe next time!

It is a great parade. Sorry you weren't feeling well enough to see it. I get you would have liked it! I think the non-Christmas version is pretty good too so maybe you will get a chance to see it in May! :goodvibes

Congrats on 10,000! :woohoo: :dance3: :yay:

You know you are DIS obsessed when you get excited about your 10,000th post on the boards! :rotfl:

Between airfar and hotel rates Disney trips are becoming less affordable. I always used to say that it could be an affordable vacation, if done right, but now I'm not so sure! There's a good chance that we will just stay off site on our arrival and departure nights. Too bad because there are still a couple values I haven't stayed at, but not at $150 a night! :sad2:

Seriously. Even when you know there will likely be some kind of discount, it's becoming overpriced WITH the discount at times. I hate moving that much but I agree, it can be hard to swallow some of those prices at times.

Congrats on your 10K!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. Even when you know there will likely be some kind of discount, it's becoming overpriced WITH the discount at times. I hate moving that much but I agree, it can be hard to swallow some of those prices at times.

I decided just to use Denny's Carlson points on the arrival night. We won't get out of the airport until 9pm. There's really no reason to stay at a Disney hotel because we'll check into SSR first thing in the morning.

I also think I am going to waitlist for BWV for the last night. I'll have to borrow for that night, but it makes more sense.

Congrats on your 10K!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I'm going for 20K now! :rotfl:

You'll like this - I have been on the cruise boards researching what room I want on the dream in Oct 2013. I have decided to use all my AAA certificates towards the cruise and book through AAA. Why the heck not?

Future Trip Updates:
I called member services and I am currently waitlisted for BWV on Monday June 18th since we are now flying home on the 19th. I hope my waitlist comes through. Keep your fingers crossed! Rooms on property are so expensive right now so I figured it would be more economical to just borrow points from my 2013 account. If it doesn’t come through I guess I could add a night at OKW or SSR, but I honestly just want to stay put.

As far as arrival night (June 9th). … I have decided just to stay off property that night. It makes no sense it spend $150 plus to stay at a resort for less than 12 hours when we will be up early to go check in at SSR the next morning. I know our treehouse won’t be ready, but I rather hang there and pool hop through the SSR pools or hit a park!

On the brother front – I still don’t know what their travel plans are and it is now starting to make me nervous. I offered to have the two oldest boys fly down with us on the 9th. I gave my SIL all the information and told her to book their flights. She seemed interested, but that was days ago. Ugh! As so many of you know, it is really hard to involve family in your trips, but I am doing this for the kids who would probably never get to Disney otherwise.

So on to my current update:

Will it EVER get dark?

Did you ever have a day when you really wanted it to get dark outside and FAST? Well, that was today because now that the parade was over I was itching to do the one thing on the top of my bucket list that I have been dying to do for years – Ride EE in the dark!

Here is the history of my attempts to ride EE in the dark

Dec 2008 – just missed it - 4 night trip and late EMH was on the night we were leaving
June 2009 – EMH was on our arrival night, but my Brother had cautioned me against taking my nephew LJ on “thrill rides”, so even though the kid told me he wanted to go on the ride, the fear of my brother stopped me. FWIW – LJ rode the next day and he loved it!
Sept 2009 – EMH on the wrong night again for a 4 night trip
May 2010 – ADR at Sanaa, so the best I could do was ride EE in the twilight
Sept 2010 – After tracking sunrise/sunset times for weeks Jen & I decided that we would probably not hit full night time before the park closed at 8pm, so we changed our plans.
May 2011 – didn’t even try

That brings us to Dec 2011!

When the parade was over (it had to be at least 4:45pm) the sun was still fairly high in the sky. At home on December 17th it would be almost dark. But not in central Florida.

So what should we do next? I asked the boys if they wanted to see FOTLK because I think there was one more showing. They gave that a NO, but Nick asked to ride Dinosaur again. How can I say no to Nick OR Dinosaur.

Picture on the way to Dinosaur.

IMG_1351.jpg

Even Denny rode this time. I was secretly hoping that by the time we got through the queue and the ride it would be getting dark out.

Nope, Not Yet!

Nick asked to stop and get a snack so we stopped at Dino Bite Snacks and got one of these:

c3c811e5.jpg

Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich - Vanilla ice cream served between fresh baked cookies: Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin or Sugar $4.19

And one of these

97784e3f.jpg

Old-Fashioned Hot Fudge Sundae - Vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, walnuts and a cherry $4.59

And we waited and waited and waited for what seemed like an eternity for it to get dark. While we were sitting there I picked up my phone and played some Jewel Quest to pass the time. I had been stuck on the same level since July and now it was December. I had a couple of almost wins, but I could never seem to turn the last match in time. Well, guess what? I finally beat that level. I let out the biggest whoop! I’m so glad no one was around to hear me.

When it started to look dusky out we began our trek over to EE. Here’s a few pics on the way.

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

Denny stopping for a work call. Good thing there is no poison ivy in Disney!

IMG_1361.jpg

You can tell from the different pictures and the different lighting that is STILL wasn’t 100% dark out. Ugh!

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

We walked over to the area of the park with the altar and took pictures from back there.

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

Finally, finally, FINALLY I decided it was time to go!

IMG_1375.jpg

So what time did we finally go on the ride? 6:15pm. I let Denny and Nick take the front row while I rode in the train before them with some random person.

So, was EE as good as I thought it would be in the dark?

I have to say, as fun as it was, it didn’t pack quite the thrill I was hoping it would. I think the reason was the anticipation and the fact that part of the ride is already in the dark. But that drop was awesome and I definitely let out a scream, so all was good in the land of MEK!

As soon as we got off Nick and I ran back into the single rider line. Denny, with his aversion to the single rider line, declined. But what I didn’t realize was that Denny was off buying me my coveted Mickey wine glass for Christmas. Thank you Denny! I love that glass.

I considered a third ride on EE, but 3 in a row makes me a little dizzy, so I skipped it. But on the way out of the park I did drag everyone in to the last showing of Bug’s Life. I can’t help it, I am just a sucker for ants and termites crawling under my @$$ at the conclusion of the show. I try to see if I can sit there and not flinch, but its impossible! Can’t wait to see my nephews’ reaction to this attraction in June!

IMG_1379.jpg

I have to say that when we left the park I knew I was whooped. I can’t believe we opened and closed AK.

Crappy Christmas tree pics on the way out....

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

Bye AK. See you again in June!

IMG_1389.jpg

Unfortunately, now we needed to make a food store stop to get some water and breakfast items for our last two days in the world. We tried to GPS the closest Walmart, but actually ended up at a new super Target. This worked fine. I ducked over to the Disney section hoping I would find some inexpensive T-shirts for my nephews but I didn’t like a single thing I saw. Plus the prices were not all that great.

At Target I did something I have never done before at Disney. Given the temperate weather and the fact that the park crowds were growing daily, I decided to buy 3 premade sandwiches from Target to take into our park for lunch the next day. This ended up working pretty well and everything fit nicely into my bagalleni.

On the way back to OKW Denny and Nick picked up Chik-fil-a. When we got back to the room I heated up the left over food from La Hacienda (hard to believe that was only two days ago) and it was even more delish than the first time because I was famished. I’m sure Denny and I had an adult beverage or two that evening, but I can’t remember if we actually went into the hot tub or just went and walked around the resort.

At any rate, we were exhausted and we all slept hard that night.

Up Next: 120 minutes to Soarin’

Oops - I almost forgot! Here's our Day 3 Ride/Attraction Talley

EE - Check (3X - twice in dark)
Dinosaur - check (3X)
Malarajah Trek - check
Flights of Wonder - check
Safari - check
Pangani Trail - check
Mickey's Jammin Jungle Christmas parade - check
Lost on Safari -check (x2)
Yak & Yeti Lunch - check
Opening and Closing the Park - check

I wanted to try to do EE in the dark in May, since AK is open til 7 a few of the days, but I'm guessing it won't be dark enough by then in May. I guess I'll have to wait til the Fall to try it! I wish they'd bring back EMH nights there!

Glad you got to finally ride EE in the dark! :woohoo: I love that ride, so I'm sure it's even better in the dark!

AK is so pretty at night! Every time we're there, I say that I'd love to be there when all the lights are on (like the ones in Asia, on the way to EE) but we are always there first thing in the morning! :confused3

I like your Christmas tree pics! :thumbsup2

Hahaha I totally get your whoop of triumph in Jewel Blitz...you should hear me when I pass a tricky Angry Birds level! :rotfl:

That ice cream cookie sandwich looks amazing! :cloud9:

Yay for finally getting to ride EE in the dark!!! Another Disney goal accomplished! :thumbsup2

Glad that you got ride EE in the dark! Also, super impressed that you opened AND closed a park! Never done that. Maybe in April?

Love the picture of the three of you...its great.

And that ice cream sanwhich looks fantastic. I'll have to remember that for next time.

Got behind again, life has been busy. Love the new travel plans. Flying is the way to go in my opinion. You're there so fast it can't be beat. Another ladies trip will be great fun I'm sure.

Glad your guys were up for the long day, love all the checks, you did a lot! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures :)

I wanted to try to do EE in the dark in May, since AK is open til 7 a few of the days, but I'm guessing it won't be dark enough by then in May. I guess I'll have to wait til the Fall to try it! I wish they'd bring back EMH nights there!

Yeah - It won't be quite dark in May. It will be almost dark by 8pm. I do miss the real late emh at AK. That park is so cool at night. I wonder why they stopped it? Too expensive to light the park? :confused3

Glad you got to finally ride EE in the dark! :woohoo: I love that ride, so I'm sure it's even better in the dark!

It was definitely fun, but I wish I had known about the lift your feet off the ground trick which is supposed to make it even better. :thumbsup2

AK is so pretty at night! Every time we're there, I say that I'd love to be there when all the lights are on (like the ones in Asia, on the way to EE) but we are always there first thing in the morning! :confused3

IT's awesome at night. We did a late emh in June a few years ago and the way they had EE lit up was so cool. It was only lit at the top this time!

I like your Christmas tree pics! :thumbsup2

Thanks. I wish I had taken pictures of the tree during daylight, but I was too anxious to get in there. :rotfl:

Hahaha I totally get your whoop of triumph in Jewel Blitz...you should hear me when I pass a tricky Angry Birds level! :rotfl:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets sucked into games like that. I am now stuck on another level and if I ever win this one you might hear the whoop up at your house! :rotfl:

That ice cream cookie sandwich looks amazing! :cloud9:

It was really good. I always wanted to try the one on Main Street but never seem to be hungry at the right time. I'm sure this had to be just as good! :thumbsup2

Yay for finally getting to ride EE in the dark!!! Another Disney goal accomplished! :thumbsup2

:woohoo: It only took me about 3 years to cross it off the bucket list!:woohoo:

Glad that you got ride EE in the dark! Also, super impressed that you opened AND closed a park! Never done that. Maybe in April?

I've never opened and closed a park before. Oh wait - yes I did - Epcot once. But I'm not sure if we stayed until the end of Illuminations, so maybe that doesn't count! :laughing:

I'm glad we stayed all day. It was perfect weather and we really just goofed around and relaxed for a large part of the afternoon. It was fun!

Love the picture of the three of you...its great.

Thanks. I really like that pic too. I think its my favorite of the trip. :goodvibes

And that ice cream sanwhich looks fantastic. I'll have to remember that for next time.

It was definitely a winner. Very yummy and a nice location for a break (not that we needed ANOTHER break). :rolleyes1

Got behind again, life has been busy. Love the new travel plans. Flying is the way to go in my opinion. You're there so fast it can't be beat. Another ladies trip will be great fun I'm sure.

The DIS requires a lot of attention, doesn't it? It is way too easy to get behind. I am glad we decided to fly. :thumbsup2 I think it will work out well for everyone!

Looking forward to the ladies trip! :goodvibes What's not to like about a girl's trip?

Glad your guys were up for the long day, love all the checks, you did a lot! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures :)

We did a lot, but we goofed off a lot too. So it all worked out great and it was the absolutely most perfect day to stay in the park all day. Won't be doing that in June, that's for sure! :rotfl:

I see you had to reschedule your Mom's day cruise. Bummer, but at least you have something to look forward to!

The Christmas tree :love:... ohhhh I get so sentimental about Christmas at Disney! It's one major thing that could make me cave and go this year. :lmao:

I've always wanted to ride EE in the dark too but I've never gone during a time when it's even possible, always too early in the year. Too bad it wasn't quite what you expected though! At least you checked it off your list.

The Christmas tree :love:... ohhhh I get so sentimental about Christmas at Disney! It's one major thing that could make me cave and go this year. :lmao:

Oh No! :lmao: You are going to cave already! Well, you started a PTR so that's the first step! :rolleyes1

If these pictures make you want to cave just wait until you see the Osbourne light pictures. You'll be a goner! :laughing:

I've always wanted to ride EE in the dark too but I've never gone during a time when it's even possible, always too early in the year. Too bad it wasn't quite what you expected though! At least you checked it off your list.

Just another reason to cave! :rolleyes1 I expected it to be a totally different ride like BTMMR is, but since EE is half in the dark already and really depends on you seeing in the daylight, there just wasn't the same contrast. But it was still really fun and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the opportunity presents itself.

So DIS friends - I am going out of town this weekend. I'll tell you about it when I get back, :rolleyes1 but I won't be doing replies until Sunday.

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend and if you start a new PTR you better pm me!

Happy Friday!

The DIS requires a lot of attention, doesn't it? It is way too easy to get behind. I am glad we decided to fly. :thumbsup2 I think it will work out well for everyone!

I think I subscribe to too many things, but once I start a story I have to finish it!

Looking forward to the ladies trip! :goodvibes What's not to like about a girl's trip?

And it's coming up soon, that'll be a really nice break. I meant to say my fingers are crossed for your waitlisted day, it would be a pain to have to move again. I've already used up all my 2013 points, trying to figure out how I'm going to buy some more when the Grand Floridian opens up :rolleyes1

We did a lot, but we goofed off a lot too. So it all worked out great and it was the absolutely most perfect day to stay in the park all day. Won't be doing that in June, that's for sure! :rotfl:

I'm so glad Nick could go with you for this trip, I'm sure it's really nice to spend quality time with your boys individually.

I see you had to reschedule your Mom's day cruise. Bummer, but at least you have something to look forward to!

I'm sad I had to, but I have a potential new job in the works, and my pay in full day is this Saturday and I won't hear about the job until next week. They already had to delay my start date, they were very accomodating about the upcoming cruise so I didn't want to push the envelope. I rescheduled it for 12/13, I hear they gussy the ships up just as much as the resorts so it'll be nice.

Have a fabulous weekend, can't wait to hear about it :)

Loved the update, MaryEllen. So glad you finally got to do EE at night...even if it didn't "wow" you (in my eyes you are brave for going on it at all :rotfl2::rotfl2:).

I loved the photos as you walked over to EE...so pretty. We've never seen AK at night.

Future Trip Updates:
I called member services and I am currently waitlisted for BWV on Monday June 18th since we are now flying home on the 19th. I hope my waitlist comes through. Keep your fingers crossed! Rooms on property are so expensive right now so I figured it would be more economical to just borrow points from my 2013 account. If it doesn’t come through I guess I could add a night at OKW or SSR, but I honestly just want to stay put.

Yeah, you will have moved 3 times by then right, I'd want to stay put too! Maybe a nice discount will come out for the one night, they did just extend the spring discount though 6/14, not sure what that all covers though.

On the brother front – I still don’t know what their travel plans are and it is now starting to make me nervous. I offered to have the two oldest boys fly down with us on the 9th. I gave my SIL all the information and told her to book their flights. She seemed interested, but that was days ago. Ugh! As so many of you know, it is really hard to involve family in your trips, but I am doing this for the kids who would probably never get to Disney otherwise.

Ok that would totally be stressing me out. Are you worried at all that they won't go/don't see the value or get it?

I have to say, as fun as it was, it didn’t pack quite the thrill I was hoping it would. I think the reason was the anticipation and the fact that part of the ride is already in the dark. But that drop was awesome and I definitely let out a scream, so all was good in the land of MEK!

I think my favorite part, in the dark, is actually the ride up and seeing the TOL all lit up and realizing just how high up you are. SO beautiful but added to the scariness (for me) from a height perspective...it seemed so much MORE for some reason!

That is a seriously cool wine glass, Denny did good!

I LOVE the picture of the 3 of you before Dinosaur, one of my favorites.

Oops - I almost forgot! Here's our Day 3 Ride/Attraction Talley

EE - Check (3X - twice in dark)
Dinosaur - check (3X)
Malarajah Trek - check
Flights of Wonder - check
Safari - check
Pangani Trail - check
Mickey's Jammin Jungle Christmas parade - check
Lost on Safari -check (x2)
Yak & Yeti Lunch - check
Opening and Closing the Park - check

I love it that LOS counts as a ride/attraction!

Have a great weekend, wherever you are going!

Great Update, That's awesome you met your goal of EE in the Dark, too bad it was not as much of a thrill as you thought.

I love ITTBAB too! :)

Have a great trip!

I love that picture of the 3 of you...it's so nice! We have never been in AK after dark but your pictures have me wanted to see it now! I have always been a bit leary of it....snakes and bugs in the dark....always scares me:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter