Why no free DDP for DVC?

I do beleive that having a discount for DVC Members on any/all of the Dining Plans would be an awesome perk.

I notice a lot of discussion about people going down who do not use the Dining Plan and stick to OOP costs or use the TiW. I myself did a HUGE comparison of the costs of all three and in the end realized that all that work was really for nothing because what you save is a few dollars. It all depends on how you eat.

However, I also think it might be a good incentive to get people to use the Dining plan more and maybe get back some of those who do not use it much anymore. A little discount under the "peak/non-peak" season thing shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

We have received a bit of a discount the past 2 years on the Peak Season DP - DVC members pay the regular price of $45.99 all year round, for the DP, no matter what season it is, so that's a "little" discount.

Tiger

I don't think they are trying to get people to use the dining plan. It's my guess they are trying to fill the rooms. DVC rooms are already filled and paid for whether there is a body or not in the room.

I agree, it's just another "spin" on discounts. With deluxe resorts, you are sometimes better off with a % discount than free dining, depending on your party size. For example, if a room is $400 rack rate and you get 40% off, that's $160 off. If you have 2 adults, the free dining plan is worth around $100 off. So if you got the % discount and add the dining plan at regular price, it would be cheaper than free dining. Plus if you have an AP, there would be no additional ticket purchase required, which is required for free dining. Now with value or moderate resorts, free dining is usually cheaper because % discount isn't as much dollar wise.

There is no way possible that your friends got free dining and a room discount. Disney only allows 1 discount code per reservation. ALL free dining packages include a room at rack rate (full price) and also a park ticket purchase.

DVC does not sell vacation packages. Why would they decide to give members staying on points a dining plan for free? As PP mentioned, the "free dining" offer is used to draw visitors to WDW duirng slow times, which the entire month of September is. DVC members are always able to book a MYW package and pay rack rate in order to get free dining. But why would someone do that if they have points to use?? The whole idea that DVC members are "missing out" on free dining baffles me.

Disney do offer discounted rates at SSR and OKW (42% off), as well as the free DDP.

I do beleive that having a discount for DVC Members on any/all of the Dining Plans would be an awesome perk.

I notice a lot of discussion about people going down who do not use the Dining Plan and stick to OOP costs or use the TiW. I myself did a HUGE comparison of the costs of all three and in the end realized that all that work was really for nothing because what you save is a few dollars. It all depends on how you eat.

However, I also think it might be a good incentive to get people to use the Dining plan more and maybe get back some of those who do not use it much anymore. A little discount under the "peak/non-peak" season thing shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
The vast majority of DVC owners use TiW since they have APs..and they tend to travel to WDW more frequently than regular resort guests do. I have always found that the TiW card saves me much more than the DDP does. I run it every single time I go to WDW...and I seldom choose the DDP. By the time you add in tips, it comes out costing more.
But, here's the thing. There was a time when DVC members couldn't use the DDP period. We kept asking for it, so Disney and DVC made it possible for us to add it to our stays. I have to tell you...until Disney puts some interesting food back on the menus, I won't be using the DDP. They fiddled around with it so much that it's almost pointless to use it now. The cost has gone up, the food you get with it has decreased, and the menus, overall, have declined.

Free dining is part of a package deal. DVC owners don't use points and get a package. It's pretty simple. But, I have booked Pop Century in order to get free dining before. So, if we want it, we can get it...just have to book a pkg.

Problem is that any discount comes directly out of Disney's profit margin and would need to be made-up via added sales.

In 2011 the standard DDP is $46 per day. For sake of argument, let's assume that $20 of that is pure profit. The other $26 goes to cover foodstuffs, restaurant facilities, salaries, benefits, utilities, etc.

If Disney offered a $5 discount to DVC members, their profit falls from $20 per person, per day to $15 PPPD.

With those numbers, in order to simply MAINTAIN their current level of profitability, they need to increase DVC member purchases of the dining plan by 33%. That's a pretty steep increase.

Of course, all of these numbers are made up but I'm not even sure if the profit margin would reach $20 (about 44%.) There are a lot of costs to cover over two full meals plus a snack per day. And if the margin is lower, any discount would eat up an even larger part of Disney's profit.

They fiddled around with it so much that it's almost pointless to use it now. The cost has gone up, the food you get with it has decreased, and the menus, overall, have declined.

I have to agree that things have changed drastically over the last 3-4 years.

That first year we did the DP was huge. I think we totally came out ahead of the deal. Then the prices went up and they took away the apps and all of a sudden it became less amazing.

I guess like I said before it all comes down to how your family eats and if you want to deal with the hassles. We like to not have to worry about it, but the "plan" is getting ever increasingly less attractive. I may have to rework my numbers and see if it worth it for us this year.

I am interested in seeing a post on the analysis...we always use TIW but lately I was wondering if we should move to purchasing a DDP because we now have two children dining with 2 adults.

With DVC we are getting a 60-70% discount from Rack rate (its posted on the door of the closet). 'Free' Dining was introduced after that nasty string of Florida Hurricanes to get people back to Disney,

In many cases people would have been better off having their travel agent book the trip at a discount (or with a PIN) and added dining and Tix to the package.

I've found that the best value for the DxDDP is a combination of signature / events / and TS character meals.

Or if its really hot (Jun/July/Aug) the three airconditioned breaks at a TS restaurant can be a real day saver.

In short TAANSTAFL (There Ain't Any Such Thing as a Free Lunch)

Disney has provided offshore guests with discounts and free dining but that's a teaser to infect the offshore guests with the Disney Fever which we all exhibit on a regular basis.

I am interested in seeing a post on the analysis...we always use TIW but lately I was wondering if we should move to purchasing a DDP because we now have two children dining with 2 adults.

Honestly, you have to do your own. There are too many variables in how one family uses a TiW compared to another to make any one person's analysis valid for any other person.

For instance, we've been known to buy a $200 bottle of wine when dining out. With a TiW card and the 20% discount, that's a good deal over the DP, where alcohol is full cost out of pocket. But how many people buy a $200 bottle of wine?

The TiW works better, GENERALLY speaking, if 1) Over the course of the subscription year you eat more table service meals (more nights on property, more people using the TiW, every evening a table service meal and 2) If you drink alcohol. If its just two people for four nights per year, and you aren't drinkers, the DDP is likely to be a better deal.

Honestly, you have to do your own. There are too many variables in how one family uses a TiW compared to another to make any one person's analysis valid for any other person.

It's true...

I based ours on what we would eat at what restaurants each meal, each day. It was pretty intensive and specific to our tastes/wants. We are not big drinkers but tend to get more appetizers. So you have to be very specific in your calculations according to your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter