Why I am downsizing my DVC..

DH and I met you and your wife at one of John's Epcot Wine Evenings a while ago. Best of luck to you selling your contracts! I hope the economy improves to put you back into the air real soon!

We also have been disappointed in the quality vs. price of food while at the world. We now eat mostly counter service meals. I have only 2 dinner reservations for our upcoming 2 week stay and anticipate eating several meals off-site.

I've missed your posts, too.

MG...apparently we're on different paths as you decrease your holdings and I increase ours. I wish you the very best. We share (I believe) a favorite eatery at Ocean Grill.

Again, best of luck to you! :)

I'm selling too but for different reasons. My kids have told me they don't want the contracts when I'm gone, other than one dd who will take over our original OKW one. My VGC contract sold w/in 24 hours but we're still waiting to sell the other one. I feel like dining has gone downhill so much since the advent of "free dining". It works like magic for Disney though- when people hear the word "free" they go for it, even if it's not in their best interests. For those of us who don't go for the ddp, we're paying through the nose for food that's no longer worth the prices.

You bet..!! I think its 1575 that's our favorite. I think that's the one on the south end.

Oh yea.. Another reason to shed some points: We don't want to give up the Poly. We are doing a week stay there in May, right after a week at the Grand Cal !! Yup, not our first time doing both coasts in the same trip.

MG
I know exactly what you mean! I have been wanting to add on to our DVC, but here I am at our first Poly stay...and it's amazing. :cloud9: I am still thinking about the add on, but definitely want to leave room for non-DVC stays as well.

I would love to do a both-coasts trip someday!

Hi MG....
I understand your point completely. But we are in the reverse. We won't add-on for many, if not all the reasons you pointed out. We have 250 points. And ya know, in December we tried to book a Sept 29, 2012 Fantasy cruise and they told us no more available cabins on points. Are they limiting Members from booking on DCL or was 9 months just not enough time for the new ship ? Oh well.....we just don't see the need for any more as our kids are teens and college. We can now start doing every other year or even every 3rd year since everyone has their own busy schedules with school and work now.

Not sure I am feel sorry about downsizing to 800 points, kinda like going from a Bentley to a Mercedes Benz, I guess, :rotfl2:

As to pilots for the wealthy, I personally have no problem whatsoever for some wealthy person to own a private jet.

I do however have problems with corporations that have jets at the expense of the workers.

There is a huge difference between the two. Not sure your situation.

Good luck with the sales. :thumbsup2

Hi MG!

Wow, don't you bring out the old gang, groupies, and familiar posters to the party!

As with all things politically correct, "the rich" will lie low until the next evil group is identified. At that point they will need your experience and graciousness to get them where they need to go. DiznyDi and I wish you clear skies ahead.

Clear skies and a long runway might not be so far off! There may be a new focus for the PC non-evil people; I heard this morning that Kuerig users are upsetting the landfill groups since the k cups (plastic, aluminum, paper, and grounds) are non-recyclable in the present form!

Gosh, we have a Kuerig in our OL! When the crowd finds out, we are in big trouble; a Disney timeshare AND a Kuerig!

I'll just keep low at The Lodge and sip my coffee.

All the best to you..800 still sounds like a ton to me :) We have 225 and could use a few more, but won't go there. All of you thinking your time is done cause kids are grown, hang on a bit. All of a sudden we have 9 grandkids and the trips are kicking up to new levels.
Ohhh..evil rich..bah! hope things improve for you and watch out Kuerig users they may pass a law requiring you to use those refillable brewing cups.

DH and I met you and your wife at one of John's Epcot Wine Evenings a while ago. Best of luck to you selling your contracts! I hope the economy improves to put you back into the air real soon!

We also have been disappointed in the quality vs. price of food while at the world. We now eat mostly counter service meals. I have only 2 dinner reservations for our upcoming 2 week stay and anticipate eating several meals off-site.

I've missed your posts, too.
Hi DiznyDi.. I remember that well!!
Fortunately I am still employed, but many of my friends who I have worked with for years are not.

Hope to see you again at Wine Evenings!

MG

MG...apparently we're on different paths as you decrease your holdings and I increase ours. I wish you the very best. We share (I believe) a favorite eatery at Ocean Grill.

Again, best of luck to you! :)
Yup.. The Ocean Grill is one of our favorites anywhere in the country!

I'm selling too but for different reasons. My kids have told me they don't want the contracts when I'm gone, other than one dd who will take over our original OKW one. My VGC contract sold w/in 24 hours but we're still waiting to sell the other one. I feel like dining has gone downhill so much since the advent of "free dining". It works like magic for Disney though- when people hear the word "free" they go for it, even if it's not in their best interests. For those of us who don't go for the ddp, we're paying through the nose for food that's no longer worth the prices.
You are exactly right about the "free" dining..

I know exactly what you mean! I have been wanting to add on to our DVC, but here I am at our first Poly stay...and it's amazing. :cloud9: I am still thinking about the add on, but definitely want to leave room for non-DVC stays as well.

I would love to do a both-coasts trip someday!
Before DVC the only place we stayed was the Poly. We try to sneak a few days there every couple of years.

MG

Hi MG....
I understand your point completely. But we are in the reverse. We won't add-on for many, if not all the reasons you pointed out. We have 250 points. And ya know, in December we tried to book a Sept 29, 2012 Fantasy cruise and they told us no more available cabins on points. Are they limiting Members from booking on DCL or was 9 months just not enough time for the new ship ? Oh well.....we just don't see the need for any more as our kids are teens and college. We can now start doing every other year or even every 3rd year since everyone has their own busy schedules with school and work now.
Hi Maria.. It truly is a shame what has happened over the years. We are not big cruisers, but I understand your point.

Not sure I am feel sorry about downsizing to 800 points, kinda like going from a Bentley to a Mercedes Benz, I guess, :rotfl2:

As to pilots for the wealthy, I personally have no problem whatsoever for some wealthy person to own a private jet.

I do however have problems with corporations that have jets at the expense of the workers.

There is a huge difference between the two. Not sure your situation.

Good luck with the sales. :thumbsup2
Hi Sammie.. I suppose we could have a friendly debate on that, but as you know, the mods wouldn't like that in this thread!! :)

Hi MG!

Wow, don't you bring out the old gang, groupies, and familiar posters to the party!

As with all things politically correct, "the rich" will lie low until the next evil group is identified. At that point they will need your experience and graciousness to get them where they need to go. DiznyDi and I wish you clear skies ahead.

Clear skies and a long runway might not be so far off! There may be a new focus for the PC non-evil people; I heard this morning that Kuerig users are upsetting the landfill groups since the k cups (plastic, aluminum, paper, and grounds) are non-recyclable in the present form!

Gosh, we have a Kuerig in our OL! When the crowd finds out, we are in big trouble; a Disney timeshare AND a Kuerig!

I'll just keep low at The Lodge and sip my coffee.
LOL!!! Good to hear from you again! On my way to Starbucks now! :lmao:

MG

All the best to you..800 still sounds like a ton to me :) We have 225 and could use a few more, but won't go there. All of you thinking your time is done cause kids are grown, hang on a bit. All of a sudden we have 9 grandkids and the trips are kicking up to new levels.
Ohhh..evil rich..bah! hope things improve for you and watch out Kuerig users they may pass a law requiring you to use those refillable brewing cups.
Hi nunzia..
I just noticed you are from NM. I just wanted to say I think New Mexico is one of the prettiest states in the US (at least the parts I have seen). It's an overlooked gem IMO.

MG

Hi nunzia..
I just noticed you are from NM. I just wanted to say I think New Mexico is one of the prettiest states in the US (at least the parts I have seen). It's an overlooked gem IMO.

MG

Wow..thank you very much :)..Maybe once people realize we are part of the US more will come to see. (seriously..you'd be surprised..or maybe not..how often there are stories of people not even knowing we are a state...)

You bet..!! I think its 1575 that's our favorite. I think that's the one on the south end.

Oh yea.. Another reason to shed some points: We don't want to give up the Poly. We are doing a week stay there in May, right after a week at the Grand Cal !! Yup, not our first time doing both coasts in the same trip.

MG

YOU are me HERO!!! :worship: What a FABULOUS vacation!!

Good luck to you selling your points- I hope it all works out the way you want it to!pixiedust:

Totally agree with you about the dining, it isn't a big enough factor for me to want to sell though. DW's health could make us sell but it is currently too soon to tell.(unintended rhyme!)

Good luck selling your points! I want to get to 800 points and think that would be good for the long haul, we have 575 now. My DH keeps saying "we do not need anymore points since you keep giving points away/getting bigger accommodations" oh well I can keep trying but for now he is right as we do enjoy other vacations and are restricted with vacation time. This summer we did England and cruise to Norway which made addonitis go away for a bit. NYE in BLT GV may have bring it back!:rotfl2:

Watching the snow come down here in CT makes me want to go back to THV for the winter - we just got home this weekend.:mad:

We have started to downsize, although we don't have near the points you do! We just sold a 60 pt. Beach Club. Although the points charts for BC have not been affected with the latest point reallocations, I can see where the small contracts will not be enough even with banking and borrowing with future reallocations. As long as they keep messing with point charts, I feel small point contract owners will suffer the most. I am very happy with the price of that resales contract (even stripped) but I do not know how prices will fare over the next couple of years. The values have been dramatically dropping.

I downsized last year just because due to job changes I had less vacation and unlike a lot of you I don't spend ALL of my vacation time at Disney :) I have 500 points and more may go on the market. I banked 100 last year and if that trend continues then it's time to sell....

I really don't agree with someo of te other reasons given in the OP (espiecally the "room request" LOL! I have actually been getting great rooms. Of course I have absolutely NO requests.) My rooms have all been in good condition and clean so that's not an issue IMHO.

Now the food at Disney has gone downhill, but since I go to Europe on my other vacations... that covers food :) I also make it a point to eat at resturants who are NOT on the DDP where the food tends to be better. Plus I want to support them so they don't go the way of the DDP and choices it forces on the resturant management.

There have been cutbacks, but I think that there have also been additions. We tend to see the glass as "half full" and only focus on what we want too...

I am with you on the Adventurers Club issue. I know you didn't say it explicitly, but I know how you feel. It was a huge mistake to shutter it. I think you're doing the right thing for you. But what if they bring it back....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter