Why I am downsizing my DVC..

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
I saw a thread a few weeks back asking what would make you sell. Well, here are a few reasons why I am downsizing (not getting out).

1) It's only my wife and me, and we have too many points. 1550 for two people is a bit much. We are slimming down to roughly 800-ish.

2) The quality has suffered, both cleanliness and maintenance.

3) The many cutbacks at WDW have left a sour taste in my mouth. Pleasure Island, generic menus at restaurants, and Christmas cutbacks to name a few.

4) We have noticed lately that we have been treated like second class citizens when it comes to things like room preferences.

5) New instability in my career. As some here may know, I make my living as a corporate pilot. It has become politically incorrect for the wealthy to own their own aircraft. I only wish people would realize all the people those evil rich people employ when they spend those millions on a jet.

As I said, we will still stay fairly involved with DVC..... For now.

MG

We've had 200 pts for nearly 19 yrs, so 800 is still huge to me!!

Way back then there weren't so many options for accomodations around WDW. And without the information available on the internet, you really had to dig. Nowadays, I think if I were a first time visitor interested in amenities like a kitchen/laundry, I'd definitely look into Windsor Hills, or renting a timeshare like Vistana. I never envisioned the hotels would offer packages like free dining or park passes etc.

We've enjoyed our DVC, but if it were just me, we would sell. Since dh and the kids would kill me, that would never happen. We enjoy Hilton Head, but since we own at OKW, it gets increasingly harder to book there, with more members all competing for the same dates. Again, there's another town that has an abundance of options.

Anyway, best wishes with your plans!!

Hi MG :wave:

You have pretty much expressed my sentiments too. We don't own nearly the number of points that you do, but even with our paltry 225, we find ourselves just not that into Disney as much as we used to be.

For us, the changing of the point schedule greatly affected our vacationing style.
We used to be able to go 2 weeks a year, now we can just swing 1.
We find we love cruising so much more, so not too many tears shed over that.

The ticket prices have increased so much that we don't do the parks like we used to.

You are so right about the food. It used to be a treat to stay on site and go out to eat.
But with the dumbing down of the menus, it is just not worth the time or the expense.
Speaking of the expense, the prices have gone up so much at these lame restaurants, no thank you.
I begged my husband 3 years ago to sell at least 1 of our contracts, but the man just won't let it go.

You won't hear me complain about the evil wealthy. My husband works for one of the evil banks for pity sake.
And while people resent rich people, you are so right that many people can earn a living off of what they spend.
I hope that things in this country improve greatly next year. And I hope that your job will become stable once again.

Best wishes to you! I always look forward to reading your posts. I remember how you loved the Adventurer's Club. I hope you have success selling your points, and have happier experiences at WDW ahead.

Our extended family has mixed job success in this economy. I hear where you are coming from, and hope things get better for you and the rest of us!:grouphug:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts ... a good warning for those of us with add-on-itis!

Just out of curiosity, which resorts are you downsizing? Or is it across the board? Is there any resorts in particular that you're hanging on to more points/feel are more worth the MF's/have better quality? Loaded question, and I'm not sure how many you own at, but just curious if some are better than others from the selling perspective, or if you're just looking to get the most bang for your buck from selling.

I hear you, but we're at 710 points and still wanting a couple of hundred more so we can spend 3 weeks in Oct. (food and wine) and then a month in Jan/Feb in a 1 bedroom. (we don't do studios very well). :)

I have to disagree with you...although I respect your right to your own opinion. We have stayed at the Grand Californian, the Boardwalk, Saratoga, Kidani and Bay Lake Tower in the last few months. On each stay the resorts have been clean, everything in our rooms has been in fantastic condition, the CMs have been friendly and helpful and our room requests were met each time. While I do think DVC slipped a bit in the past few years, I see a great change for the better in the last six months or so.

I do agree about the holiday decoration and menu issues, but they aren't enough for us to be wholly disappointed. In fact, we just doubled our points via resale.

Hi MG :wave:

You have pretty much expressed my sentiments too. We don't own nearly the number of points that you do, but even with our paltry 225, we find ourselves just not that into Disney as much as we used to be.

For us, the changing of the point schedule greatly affected our vacationing style.
We used to be able to go 2 weeks a year, now we can just swing 1.
We find we love cruising so much more, so not too many tears shed over that.

The ticket prices have increased so much that we don't do the parks like we used to.

You are so right about the food. It used to be a treat to stay on site and go out to eat.
But with the dumbing down of the menus, it is just not worth the time or the expense.
Speaking of the expense, the prices have gone up so much at these lame restaurants, no thank you.
I begged my husband 3 years ago to sell at least 1 of our contracts, but the man just won't let it go.

You won't hear me complain about the evil wealthy. My husband works for one of the evil banks for pity sake.
And while people resent rich people, you are so right that many people can earn a living off of what they spend.
I hope that things in this country improve greatly next year. And I hope that your job will become stable once again.

Best wishes to you! I always look forward to reading your posts. I remember how you loved the Adventurer's Club. I hope you have success selling your points, and have happier experiences at WDW ahead.

Our extended family has mixed job success in this economy. I hear where you are coming from, and hope things get better for you and the rest of us!:grouphug:
Hi Muushka and Bobbi.. I haven't been around much lately, but it's good to see you again!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts ... a good warning for those of us with add-on-itis!

Just out of curiosity, which resorts are you downsizing? Or is it across the board? Is there any resorts in particular that you're hanging on to more points/feel are more worth the MF's/have better quality? Loaded question, and I'm not sure how many you own at, but just curious if some are better than others from the selling perspective, or if you're just looking to get the most bang for your buck from selling.
Hi taaren..
I don't want to say which resorts I'm selling, as I don't want the mods to think this is an advertisement (although after reading my reasons it would be a very strange ad). I will say which resort I'm keeping.. This morning my wife informed me we will be getting a beach cottage at Vero every year, regardless how many people, if any, will be joining us. Guess I better keep the VB!!

MG

I hear you, but we're at 710 points and still wanting a couple of hundred more so we can spend 3 weeks in Oct. (food and wine) and then a month in Jan/Feb in a 1 bedroom. (we don't do studios very well). :)
Yup.. October is the month we are planning our points around! Love F&W!!

MG

I have to disagree with you...although I respect your right to your own opinion. We have stayed at the Grand Californian, the Boardwalk, Saratoga, Kidani and Bay Lake Tower in the last few months. On each stay the resorts have been clean, everything in our rooms has been in fantastic condition, the CMs have been friendly and helpful and our room requests were met each time. While I do think DVC slipped a bit in the past few years, I see a great change for the better in the last six months or so.

I do agree about the holiday decoration and menu issues, but they aren't enough for us to be wholly disappointed. In fact, we just doubled our points via resale.
I also respect your opinion. It is quite possible that you have been lucky as of late, or we have been unlucky as of late.
To be honest, the cleanliness issues have been there since day 1 for us. Our first DVC stay in September 2002 we pulled the bedspread back from our king bed at VWL, to reveal a giant urine stain on the under side. I only wish I was joking.

MG

PS- Congrats on the extra points!!

We've had 200 pts for nearly 19 yrs, so 800 is still huge to me!!

Way back then there weren't so many options for accomodations around WDW. And without the information available on the internet, you really had to dig. Nowadays, I think if I were a first time visitor interested in amenities like a kitchen/laundry, I'd definitely look into Windsor Hills, or renting a timeshare like Vistana. I never envisioned the hotels would offer packages like free dining or park passes etc.

We've enjoyed our DVC, but if it were just me, we would sell. Since dh and the kids would kill me, that would never happen. We enjoy Hilton Head, but since we own at OKW, it gets increasingly harder to book there, with more members all competing for the same dates. Again, there's another town that has an abundance of options.

Anyway, best wishes with your plans!!
I agree about HH. We own VB for the sole purpose of getting the beach cottage!

MG

I'm sitting on this same fence now too. We have 500 points and my husband and I just don't enjoy WDW the way we used to (our main issue is the decling food experiences). Our adult children use the points more than we do but it's really not their top vacation destination either. So I was all set to sell at least 2 of my 3 contracts when Aulani came along. Since we live in California, it's so easy to get there.

So I'm back on the fence, waiting to see how much we enjoy or don't enjoy Aulani this fall. Maui is my favorite island so I'm not getting my hopes up but our adult kids all love Hawaii and if we can get in at 7 months, I have a feeling we will be hanging onto the points after all.

Just wanted to say hi - have not seen you post in a while. I hope you sell your contracts quick too.

800 still seems like plenty. My 150 sometimes seems like a burden to use....we are just so busy now that the kids are teens, with so many vacation possibilities. I agree on the food. We used to wonder if we wouldn't hang onto DVC for golf and food once the kids left the house. That is seeming less likely, although we do live in Minnesota, two weeks of snowbirding in a studio in Florida in January might still be attractive.

Hi taaren..
I don't want to say which resorts I'm selling, as I don't want the mods to think this is an advertisement (although after reading my reasons it would be a very strange ad). I will say which resort I'm keeping.. This morning my wife informed me we will be getting a beach cottage at Vero every year, regardless how many people, if any, will be joining us. Guess I better keep the VB!!

MG

I think about you when we stay at a BC! You're the biggest fan, or maybe your DW is!:goodvibes

I think about you when we stay at a BC! You're the biggest fan, or maybe your DW is!:goodvibes
You bet..!! I think its 1575 that's our favorite. I think that's the one on the south end.

Oh yea.. Another reason to shed some points: We don't want to give up the Poly. We are doing a week stay there in May, right after a week at the Grand Cal !! Yup, not our first time doing both coasts in the same trip.

MG

I'm too easy to please when it comes to WDW.

I've been a DVC member since 12/2008, so not very long. 275 points AKL.

I've only had 2 complaints so far while staying at SS the shower had mildew at the base of the door.
1 other one, in 2005 I stayed at ASM with my other daughter, very first time staying on property & called housekeeping to tell the the bedspread had a huge stain on it. They took care of it right away.

Food? My husband did not care for the meal served at Cinderella's castle, it was nothing to rave about.
And the 2 character meals I dragged him too; I love them :) I thought he was going to hang himself :lmao:

We stayed at AKL Jambo Grand Villa & it was more than I ever imagined. The room was spectacular! :cloud9:

Best of luck downsizing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter