Why haven't they done this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there are that many bus accidents. Yes there were a few but compared to how many buses go out per day x per week x per year, its very minimal. there are always accidents everywhere, sometimes caused by the bus driver, sometimes not. I don't think this would warrent eliminating them and just using the monorail, as that had a accident too.

And I am not all that sure that more and more people are going to WDW. If that were the case, they sure wouldn't be offering all of the room discounts and bounceback enticements to fill their resorts.

MK attendance has increased by about two million people since 2000 (17.2 mil up from 15.4). Same thing happened in the nineties, it went from 11/12 mil to the 15.4 noted above.

The weird year I can't figure out is 1991: MK pulled in 18 mil that year and EPCOT 14, only to have all the subsequent early 90's years hover around 11 and 10 respectively. According to this link

1. The monorail doesn't require a minimum height. They are generally suspended to allow things to pass underneath.

2. The style does not need to match CBD or YC of AKL to run there. It also already passes through 3 resorts that have highly different styling and are based on cultures that have nothing in common with eachother.

3. I don't have any idea why two moderators would comment on this thread when it needs to be moved.

4. All these arguments have been made on the thread linked below. Some inculding factual data.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447545
Wow! Really??? Can't posters have a simply discussion here?? I'm sure a moderator will come along and move this over to the Transportation board...we can have a very nice discussion there. I won't mind at all.

Have any of you been stuck on the monorail before?? It's not a fun thing. We spent about 20 mins, just short of the TTC...had to get to an ADR. Still not sure what the reason for the delay was, but is was not fun up there. The ac didn't work properly, we had already been crammed together at Epcot. After about 5 mins, people started to get very cranky.
If there had been a serious issue, I'm not sure how they would have gotten us out of there. I doubt I would have enjoyed it!! The monorail is a terrific thing, and I love riding it. But in an emergency, it is not a fun place to be.

It would be nice if they had some type of rail service though, that ran throughout the parks...or at least from resort to resort.

1. The monorail doesn't require a minimum height. They are generally suspended to allow things to pass underneath.

2. The style does not need to match CBD or YC of AKL to run there. It also already passes through 3 resorts that have highly different styling and are based on cultures that have nothing in common with eachother.

3. I don't have any idea why two moderators would comment on this thread when it needs to be moved.

4. All these arguments have been made on the thread linked below. Some inculding factual data.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447545

SOMEBODY NEED A HUG? May be a cup of coffee? :idea:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think having a Monorail go out to AKL is such an insane idea. Start with one long one from the TTC to the AKL.

We need projects for people to have jobs. No one told Bob Gurr in the 1950's that it can't be done, and look at what he did in a few short years. Heck, look what he did in one year.

I think someone at Disney needs to look outside the box on this one. Maybe having the SAME Monorail as all of the others won't work. Maybe inventing something new is in order. Electro-magnetic trains, or perhaps some other method. There is plenty of sun in Florida, why not use solar power. How about a PeopleMover?

Where I work, we have this really long walk way. The top of it is covered in solar panels. The power generated from this runs the building that next to the solar panel. It seems to work well.

Of course I would not want the government stepping in to IMPROVE anything at WDW. I was joking but TPTB need to do something...make a new park...make some kind of "extra" transportation say a train?? to move people. Maybe a shuttle to just get folks to other parks only. Knowing there is a number a park stops letting people enter it is still too crowded. Obviously I'm nowhere near a crowd expert but who is? We need some engineers to figure out a way to move people along with the buses. :worship:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think having a Monorail go out to AKL is such an insane idea. Start with one long one from the TTC to the AKL.

We need projects for people to have jobs. No one told Bob Gurr in the 1950's that it can't be done, and look at what he did in a few short years. Heck, look what he did in one year.

I think someone at Disney needs to look outside the box on this one. Maybe having the SAME Monorail as all of the others won't work. Maybe inventing something new is in order. Electro-magnetic trains, or perhaps some other method. There is plenty of sun in Florida, why not use solar power. How about a PeopleMover?

Where I work, we have this really long walk way. The top of it is covered in solar panels. The power generated from this runs the building that next to the solar panel. It seems to work well.

yes maybe those rubber people movers like at airports????? SOMEONE can do this if we can think of it just in discussions.

really? that's nuts. i'll do it for 500K a foot, no problem. i may only do a couple of feet but i'll do it.

sorry all...didn't mean to cause tension amongst the group. :confused3

I was just curious and after seeing how much money is truly does cost, thanks to many posters, I realize why it hasn't been done. :lmao:

My main reason for posting this question was because I've always thought that Disney's vision was to be ahead of the future I guess and to me, building something like that would certainly do the trick. Maybe if the economy was better, they would think about extending it alittle at a time, maybe? :confused3

I certainly understand that monorails get into accidents too, the whole bus thing was just a small note i was making. And like a PP said, being stuck high up like that in an emergency with no place to go certainly wouldn't be good at all. :eek:

I appreciate all the feedback and information that I wasn't aware of! I knew I could count on my dis friends! :wizard:

Anyways the dolphin was to be on the monorail line near the top there are these big huge windows and the monorail was to go through the dolphin as well, but like many said 1 million dollars per foot (that wasn't an exageration as Knox confirmed as it could be over 100 million dollars a mile)

Not true, actually. See this explanation of a popular Disney urban legend.

sorry all...didn't mean to cause tension amongst the group. :confused3

I was just curious and after seeing how much money is truly does cost, thanks to many posters, I realize why it hasn't been done. :lmao:

My main reason for posting this question was because I've always thought that Disney's vision was to be ahead of the future I guess and to me, building something like that would certainly do the trick. Maybe if the economy was better, they would think about extending it alittle at a time, maybe? :confused3

I certainly understand that monorails get into accidents too, the whole bus thing was just a small note i was making. And like a PP said, being stuck high up like that in an emergency with no place to go certainly wouldn't be good at all. :eek:

I appreciate all the feedback and information that I wasn't aware of! I knew I could count on my dis friends! :wizard:

Try to get to Epcot from Cont without using the Monorail. Not an easy task. My youngest ended up walking over to the MK from Cont and taking a bus to BC to get there. Yes, I know he could have taken a taxi, but I didn't leave him $ for that since it didn't occur to me he'd need it.

QUOTE]

Interestingly a poster on the Rumor and News board who is a CM with the bus sytem put a post regarding this.

Diney hired a new VP of Transportation for WDW who has worked in cities who widely use rail systems.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2468053

Also at DLR they are putting in long moving walkways from a new parking structure also where Anaheim plans to put a rail terminal connecting to their mass trasit system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter