Why front of plane? SWA

Isatricia

Mouseketeer
This has always confused me. What is the draw of sitting at the front of the plane?

I have flown SWA many time (my oldest daughter flew over 50 flights by the time she was 5) and I have had seats all over the plane. We have always been happier when we sat at the back of the plane. We have never had any issues with sitting together in the back and often we have empty middle seats in the back - even on "FULL" flights. We board in our normal boarding order (usually A group or very early B group) go straight to the back, have plenty of overhead space, and empty rows - then we sit back and relax and laugh at everyone stressing over sitting in the first available middle seat and no overhead space - all while there are rows in the back empty.

Yes, it takes a few more minutes to get off the plane upon arrival, but we are still always at baggage claim before the bags.

I also can't understand the draw of paying additional for early boarding. My kids understand that it could be possible that we don't get to sit together, but that has never happened on SWA. We did sit separate on United last year and it really made my then 8&9 yr old daughters feel grown up to sit by themselves.

I don't get it either unless you have a connecting flight and need to dash across the airport. I usually sit and wait for everyone to leave but dd will probably want to go go go!

Living in Florida part time I only have a carry on so I skip baggage claim completely. I call my ride when I get off the plane and walk straight out to the departing flight level, my ride pulls up short after and I'm on Rte 417 before the others are getting their bags.. That's my reason.

Reactions: fbb
People don't like waiting to get off the plane. They stand up immediately and get all stressy and wonder what is going on in front of them. They haven't mentally added deplaning to their day's timetable.

I grew up on Greyhound because my dad was a driver. So many custodial weekend visits were spent on a bus because they had "called him in last minute" (sure, the Union totally allowed that, dad). We were the first on, sat in the very front so he could see us, and we were the absolute last off. I developed patience from that. So if we are at the back, I encourage my family to sit back, relax, and just wait. Much calmer that way.

That plus a bathroom break once off the plane = your bags are there when you get to the carousel and see many of the same stressed out people who moaned about getting off the plane, who have now been waiting 15 minutes for bags. Ha.

It depends on whether or not I have checked bags. If I have only carry-on bags, I prefer to sit closer to the front...that way I'm off the plane and on my way more quickly. If I have checked bags, I tend to go further back and then wait until the plane empties a bit.

If we don't have a connection to make we're not on SW! They don't fly direct from here to anywhere we want to go... but even on the 2nd leg I prefer to sit in front. Once we land I'm in a hurry to get off and stretch my legs and use the rest room. I don't typically check bags so no need to hang around the airport any longer than necessary. I do remain in my aisle seat until the row in front of me starts moving though. No need to stand there sighing impatiently!!!

Yeah back of the plane for me too. I can't stand the crush of deplaning up front. I stay in my seat and relax until the herd moves. I'm so happy to be back in Florida, I don't stress about an extra 10 minutes

My bf is 6ft 7 in tall. A front row seat is a must for him. He is in physical pain when sitting in a normal seat and can you imagine the poor person in front of him? Im not talking about "oh this hurts" pain, I mean he cant even fit with his feet on the floor. Its a safety issue as well. Its not like he can just shorten his legs. This is not a choice for him, its a physical requirement that is unfortunately, not recognized by the airlines. Oftentimes we have to pay $200 more per ticket for him to fly because they charge you extra to sit in those seats (this isn't first class, its economy).

Unfortunately, SW doesn't let you choose seats ahead of time so they do not get our business.

I try to sit up front for two reasons:

1. To catch a connection, on our upcoming trip I sat as forward as possible to get off the plane sooner.

2. I get airsick, and landing/taxing are the worst part. If it was bad, I want off the plane ASAP so the world stops spinning and to get in the cooler airport terminal.

If I don't have checked baggage to wait for, I want off the plane and out of the airport ASAP. Waiting behind everyone while they gather their things and try to remember where they put their carry-ons drives me insane. If I have checked bags, I don't worry about it, because I'm either waiting on the plane or at the carousel.

Additionally, the one time in my life I've ever missed a flight, it was because I was stuck in the back of the plane on my connecting flight for an absurd amount of time. So now if I'm flying with connections, I'm sitting up front.

Just a few reasons off of the top of my head ...
  • The front is usually farther from the lavatories, depending on plane configuration, so you get less odor and less traffic.
  • It's also farther from the coach galley, so there's less noise.
  • The back rides worse if you get airsick, and has weird rotation during takeoff and landing that can make any sort of motion/balance issue worse.
  • You deplane first, which if you have to go through customs is a big deal and can sometimes save you a half hour or more, especially on something like a 747 or A380 at certain airports.
  • Some aircraft have the engine nacelles mounted near the tail, which means that the back is very noisy (727, MD-80/90, CRJ, among others).
  • The empennage means that there is sometimes less space per seat in the back.
  • First class is in the front, so it's considered more desirable by some for proximity reasons (it's not logical, but it is true).
  • Business travelers prefer the front to deplane more quickly, so the front has a lesser chance of screaming children in it.
  • Meals and drinks are usually served front to back in coach, so you get better choice of food and beverage, while by the back there may by one or no choices (I've had them run out of food on a Transcon ... I was not pleased.)

I always sit up front because I always carry on my bag and this way I can get off the plane and on my way to my transportation home within a couple of minutes landing. This is very true on a flight like mine right now where we left 40 min late due to a mechanical issue so the plane had to taxi back in to take care of it. Were only suppose to arrive 20 min late, but still I would like to set to the car that's picking me up asap once we land so I can get home.

Last edited:
Yup, I get all these very valid reasons for front of the plane. For me, it's one area I try not to get stressed about so I don't fight over seating or getting off the plane. I let the in a hurry crowd go first.

last week I carried on, and needed to meet someone quickly after we landed.... the front worked for that...otherwise I don't care much.....

1. I'm a tad claustrophobic, and that feeling gets exacerbated in the back of the plane, where you can clearly see that you're sitting in a long, narrow tube. Not a big deal, but a sensation that I'd rather avoid if given the choice.

2. My son likes to look out the window a lot, and front area seats don't have the wing in the way of the view.

3. It's quieter and nicer smelling away from the rear engines and restrooms.

4. You disembark more quickly, which makes a difference if you've got a close connection, or if you have plans and the plane is already late.

So there are many reasons to prefer the front if you're the type to notice detail. Not everyone cares about the little things when traveling, but others do.

Last edited:
I only pick near the front if I have a short connection time. I like being in the back. I want to be a short walk from the restrooms, if I need to use them. Looking the length of the aircraft makes me feel less closed in, for some weird reason, which is a plus. I flew first class on Delta back in May and I did have a little freak out moment at how small and closed in the plane felt up there.

I prefer to sit right around the wings... you don't feel the movement as much. You gotta remember that people go a little crazy when they travel, normally intelligent adults degenerate into pushing, shoving 6 years olds.

Living in Florida part time I only have a carry on so I skip baggage claim completely. I call my ride when I get off the plane and walk straight out to the departing flight level, my ride pulls up short after and I'm on Rte 417 before the others are getting their bags.. That's my reason.
But you ge the same result no matter when you deplane.
The back rides worse if you get airsick, and has weird rotation during takeoff and landing that can make any sort of motion/balance issue worse.
On the other hand, the back of the plane is considerate in an accident http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9957319/Which-is-the-safest-seat-on-an-aircraft.html

In front of the engine should be quieter in theory.

On international flights into the US, full flights can suffer from long delays at immigration or customs. Queues at MCO can be up to 2 hours long at peak, which is not fun!

Also if a flight is all package holidays from one TA, most people on that flight will be using the same car rental company as part of their package. I've heard of 2 hours+ waits at MCO when UK packages land.

We always try to sit as close to the exit that we know they use at MCO to try and avoid delays, and book our own car rental with an express scheme to go direct to garage. It's not fun at large airports!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter