Why doesn't Disney rethink recipes at the few consistently bad restaurants?

The main goal of the dining plan is to keep guests onsite as much as possible.

That has been the "1" or "1A" of every move since the construction of MGM began...

In this case...I think it's more like a "1a"

Disney was never losing much food business to offsite locations...at least not to wdw resort customers -
The only ones that can buy the dining plan. So while this certainly tweaks that...I think the other issue is psychology.

Somebody brilliantly described
The benefits of converting real currency to an entitlement program on another thread... And that leads to the ddp. The ddp... And even fastpass+... Are meant to disassociate the vacation costs from the customer while allowing a better environment for gift shops sales...where the profits are. My theory.

I actually agree with everything you said.

Let me rephrase...I think the ddp is the "cover" or "smokescreen" that has allowed the bad/guest unfriendly policies to go largely unnoticed...from food quality to reservation shenanigans....

And the dining plans main goal has NOTHING to do with food at all...my opinion.
Oh we sure agree there! I think WDW wants a captive group and accomplishes that goal by picking resort guests up at the airport, thus eliminating a rental car, offering a dining plan which helps encourage a commited amount of money to Disney restaurants, and st 45 days prior to arrival

Without a car and with most of your meals prepaid you are much less likely to leave, and if you do, it won't be for long because you won't stay in somebody else's hotel and you'll still have to eat all those meals on Disney property. Unless you want to just leave your prepaid dining credits unused. Which is like paying Disney for meals you never even ordered, much less ate.

Very good business.
They definitely have figured out how to get us to give them our money and be happy while doing it!! Lol. I'm so much more lax with my money on Disney trips yet so frugal on other trips!

Yeah I order cheap pizza once in awhile too. Hits the spot sometimes.

I don't use the dining plan so I don't see food in terms of how many credits I'm spending and I'd go to Le Cellier but I sure wouldn't order a steak. The cost is turning some away but it's not hurting for business. Besides, Disney World restaurants are not run the same way as real world restaurants (which rarely feel they have to do anything to REDUCE demand.)

Look at Be Our Guest, do you think Disney guests are fighting to get reservations at 180 + 10 because they're turned on by the food offerings?

Don't get me wrong... I love frozen pizza and Pizza Hut...

Occasionally...like guilty pleasures.

I'm more thinking about what the "masses" tell us...

As in every town has a dominos, a subway, and if your in the northeast - 6 Dunkin donuts.

The point is that it's actually alarming how often you see " rave reviews" for some of the wdw restaurants...

I mean...be our guest really a good meal?

(That's rhetorical...been to it once per meal period and it's really just meh...if you're honest)

I think it depends on tastes and its very regional. Food expectations vary widely per person. If you are from Maine Disney's lobster meal at Narcoosee's probably isn't high on your list. If you are from Jersey and grew up eating fabulous home cooked Italian food on a semi regular basis then Tony's is probably terrible for you. If you are used to real Southern home cooking like I am being from Kentucky then Trail's End Southern home cooking buffet isn't terribly appealing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter