Why doesn't Disney rethink recipes at the few consistently bad restaurants?

I actually think they tinker with menus all the time.

I do agree that if a place is booked solid all the time, there is little incentive to change much. If it ain't broke ...

However, if they were getting complaints every night, multiple times a night, I would think something would change. Being packed is only one measure of success. If the CMs have to deal with bunch of complaints, that's time consuming and has the potential to result in other costs (cost of remaking food, employee turnover, just for instance).

I think in a lot of cases, people are underwhelmed by food and don't complain. Not pointing fingers, because I fall into that category. If something is cold, I may complain. If I need more sauce, I may ask for more. If I'm brought the wrong food, I will point that out. If we order something and don't get it, I'll speak up. But if I order something ... and I get what I ordered, and it's suitably warm (or cold as the case may be), and it's complete (with sauce or sides or whatever), and I just don't care for it, I will probably not complain. Maybe that's the problem.

It's funny that some of the restaurants are hit or miss. Coral Reef is a never return for me. It was awful 2 years ago, so i skipped it in October. Too many reviews all over te place and then reinforced but having the worst meal of our stay.

Coral Reef is the definition of "hit or miss"

And frankly... Disney Insistance on streamlined menus has not been kind to coral reef

I agree that it's a combination of "something for everyone" and dumbing down the flavor for the pickiest eaters. I truly enjoyed Boma and found it flavorful and unique, but by no stretch "spicy" or "too much", yet I see others say the spices are overwhelming.

I haven't eaten at Tony's in about 7 years, but we didn't have any complaints there. Maybe we're so hot and tired by dinner that any food in a cool chair seems great! Or maybe their bad reviews are all more recent. I don't have super-high expectations for theme park food, but I do expect more that a grey hamburger and a handful of greasy fries, and I feel we get that at every Disney restaurant we've been to. (About 25% of them based on the "golden spoon" thread)

I think a fundamental problem is that - at least with many Americans - people aren't exposed to " good food". And that makes even the now bland offerings at many Disney restaurants exotic.

That's why we don't get much change. The line to Le cellier is ridiculous...just not even that good for steak...and ridiculous at the price.

I think a fundamental problem is that - at least with many Americans - people aren't exposed to " good food". And that makes even the now bland offerings at many Disney restaurants exotic.

That's why we don't get much change. The line to Le cellier is ridiculous...just not even that good for steak...and ridiculous at the price.

People have different tastes. Some do prefer simpler tasting food. Some like more spice and more exotic. I don't think you can generalize.

LeCellier benefitted from the fact that it was (maybe?) the only steak place on property that was 1 TS - for a long time. When it went to 2TS (Signature), it was hurt by the backlash (at least in terms of reputation/reviews). I think a lot of the reputation of Le Cellier has nothing to do with the food. It has to do with the prices, how hard it is to get an ADR, how close the tables are ... and that mixes in with perceived value. Do I really want to pay THESE prices to sit so close to other parties that I can hear their conversations?

FWIW, we dined there in 11/14, and my husband thought the steak was outstanding. Was it worth the price? As with everything in DisneyWorld, that's kind of a moot point.

People have different tastes. Some do prefer simpler tasting food. Some like more spice and more exotic. I don't think you can generalize.

LeCellier benefitted from the fact that it was (maybe?) the only steak place on property that was 1 TS - for a long time. When it went to 2TS (Signature), it was hurt by the backlash (at least in terms of reputation/reviews). I think a lot of the reputation of Le Cellier has nothing to do with the food. It has to do with the prices, how hard it is to get an ADR, how close the tables are ... and that mixes in with perceived value. Do I really want to pay THESE prices to sit so close to other parties that I can hear their conversations?

FWIW, we dined there in 11/14, and my husband thought the steak was outstanding. Was it worth the price? As with everything in DisneyWorld, that's kind of a moot point.

My family happens to really really like the LC steak (I think it's the sauce LOL!). We went to Narccoossee and while I understand the steak quality is better, my family liked LC's steak so much better. That said, I doubt we will return to LC now it is 2 TS. We liked the steak there better, but not 2 TS credits better. We're simple folks and while we have had fancy meals in nice places, middle of the road suits us just fine. I think we will get our steak fix at Turf Club or other 1TS places in the future.

I think...based on the existence of the papa johns and dominos pizza chains...many people have "zero tastes"

But your point is taken.
Wdw had never been "adventurous" in it's food styles...but they have streamlined the menus In a pretty bad way...just my opinion.

Places like chef mickeys, pretty much all the magic kingdom restaurants, sci fi and primetime, Le cellier, coral reef (had my wedding there)...

Get a pass because of the atmosphere IMHO...it "tastes better" because of what you have to walk past to get to it...and it gets "lauded" by many for the wrong reasons.

Le cellier was 2 TS credits way back when, went to one and now back to 2. Not really worth 2 but if folks will pay...

I think Coral reef was 2 at one time as well.

Le cellier was 2 TS credits way back when, went to one and now back to 2. Not really worth 2 but if folks will pay...

I think Coral reef was 2 at one time as well.

If you ever want an explanation why the food isn't good or may have slipped....

It's in your writing.

everything being referred to as "credits"....yep...I wish I could go back in time to 2006 and read some of my rants there...I was assured I was paranoid/crazy at the time

I think...based on the existence of the papa johns and dominos pizza chains...many people have "zero tastes"

But your point is taken.
Wdw had never been "adventurous" in it's food styles...but they have streamlined the menus In a pretty bad way...just my opinion.

Places like chef mickeys, pretty much all the magic kingdom restaurants, sci fi and primetime, Le cellier, coral reef (had my wedding there)...

Get a pass because of the atmosphere IMHO...it "tastes better" because of what you have to walk past to get to it...and it gets "lauded" by many for the wrong reasons.

Can't speak for everyone, by I consider my husband and I fairly "foodie" and we do order Domino's from time to time. Not because it's great pizza or our favorite pizza, but because the company is reliable and the food is consistent, and it's easy and inexpensive. It may not be exciting, but it solves a problem sometimes. I actually don't think most people think Domino's is the best pizza in the world (or McDonald's has the best burger), but it's an easy, quick, convenient mealtime solution for busy people. You know ... is there a McDonald's on every corner because people like it so much, or do people go there so much because it's on every corner?

That said, I do see food reviews here all the time where people think Boma is wildly spicy or are appalled that there is an onion on their kebab. So I know what you mean. There are people who want different things in food than what I want.

More to the point, does Tony's get GOOD reviews, or is it widely acknowledged to be a mediocre restaurant? The reason I ask is because, if we know it's bland and lackluster, but it gets tons of good reviews, then you're right -- it's feeding a certain need out there, and feeding it well.

I don't know the answer, but there are few TS restaurants in MK, and that may be why it books solid. More of a location thing than a food thing ....

Yeah I order cheap pizza once in awhile too. Hits the spot sometimes.

I don't use the dining plan so I don't see food in terms of how many credits I'm spending and I'd go to Le Cellier but I sure wouldn't order a steak. The cost is turning some away but it's not hurting for business. Besides, Disney World restaurants are not run the same way as real world restaurants (which rarely feel they have to do anything to REDUCE demand.)

Look at Be Our Guest, do you think Disney guests are fighting to get reservations at 180 + 10 because they're turned on by the food offerings?

If you ever want an explanation why the food isn't good or may have slipped....

It's in your writing.

everything being referred to as "credits"....yep...I wish I could go back in time to 2006 and read some of my rants there...I was assured I was paranoid/crazy at the time
I respect the opinion the ddp is responsible for the decline of fining, but I do not agree. I believe the root cause is more complicated than simply assigning blame to a plan that really just breaks even if that. I think the rising costs of dining establishments when coupled with the cry for profits have a but to do with Disneys decision to make bulk purchases rather than have restaurants make individual purchaces.

I thought a little more about the subject, and I also think maybe they don't want every restaurant to be booked solid.

I was there a few years back during free dining and guest services was packed with people complaining that they had gotten this meal plan, but had been turned away every place that they wanted to eat. Let's face it most guests are not DISers, and many don't book ADRs. They have to have some walk ups available at every park. Mediocrity SHOULD ensure that. (No explain action for chef mickey's of course)

Yeah I order cheap pizza once in awhile too. Hits the spot sometimes.

I don't use the dining plan so I don't see food in terms of how many credits I'm spending and I'd go to Le Cellier but I sure wouldn't order a steak. The cost is turning some away but it's not hurting for business. Besides, Disney World restaurants are not run the same way as real world restaurants (which rarely feel they have to do anything to REDUCE demand.)

Look at Be Our Guest, do you think Disney guests are fighting to get reservations at 180 + 10 because they're turned on by the food offerings?

We have both lunch and dinner BOG reservations, neither booked for the food. If we could wander around BOG without eating, we probably would. (We are hoping we like the food.)

I totally understand why Disney doesn't change the food at some of the lesser-rated restaurants (Tony's, Chef Mickey's,...). Why change what works? I'm sure there would be plenty of people lamenting changes if they were to happen.

Food-wise, probably the two meals I'm looking forward to the most on our upcoming vacation are Boma and Sanaa. I wish WDW had more "exotic" options (I'd love a good Thai restaurant), but maybe my family and I are in the minority.

We'll Cat Cora's place failed with its Cinnamon stewed chicken it and Lamb shanks . Marrakesh is one place that always has tables available, and Akershus was failing before they dumbed down the menu and added Princesses

I can see it now:

Gordon Ramsey, Kitchen Nightmare, Disney World Special.

Last edited:
I respect the opinion the ddp is responsible for the decline of fining, but I do not agree. I believe the root cause is more complicated than simply assigning blame to a plan that really just breaks even if that. I think the rising costs of dining establishments when coupled with the cry for profits have a but to do with Disneys decision to make bulk purchases rather than have restaurants make individual purchaces.

I actually agree with everything you said.

Let me rephrase...I think the ddp is the "cover" or "smokescreen" that has allowed the bad/guest unfriendly policies to go largely unnoticed...from food quality to reservation shenanigans....

And the dining plans main goal has NOTHING to do with food at all...my opinion.

The main goal of the dining plan is to keep guests onsite as much as possible.

Yes, and DME seals the deal.

"It's great how Disney offers free airport transpiration"

No, it's good business. Without a car, you can't leave. (Well, you can, but you know what I mean)

Without a car and with most of your meals prepaid you are much less likely to leave, and if you do, it won't be for long because you won't stay in somebody else's hotel and you'll still have to eat all those meals on Disney property. Unless you want to just leave your prepaid dining credits unused. Which is like paying Disney for meals you never even ordered, much less ate.

Very good business.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter