Why does Universal Studios in Orlando have its own forum?

old lady

DIS Veteran
Shouldn't the Universal Studios in California and the other parks have one, too?

As you can tell by the crickets chirping after your question, and by the slowness of other threads on this So Cal theme parks sub-board, there's just not enough traffic to justify its own forum. The new Harry Potter stuff will probably increase questions and planning, but it's still pretty slim.

PHXscuba

More specifically there really isn't much to discuss. Advance planning isn't necessary except maybe for buying tickets. There's only one internet message board that I know of that's dedicated to USH and it only has a few dozen active members.

*laughs* I literally was just asking that, but in the California forum, rather than the SoCal Theme Parks one (oops! :oops: I really wasn't sure where to get my Universal Hollywood info at!)

I've noticed that there seemed to be a fair few recurring / separate questions about Universal Hollywood.
I wasn't sure if it would be worth having its own kinda "parent thread" or even category, especially with WWoHP being there now and all.

For example, apart from trip reports, there seems to be few recurring questions when it comes to Universal Hollywood such as the below (but all in separate / individual posts)
  • Tickets
  • Early Entry
  • Hotels
  • WWoHP
  • Dining
  • Travelling to universal Hollywood from other parks
  • How many days to spend there

Even if it doesn't count to have its own category (like the Orlando one) was contemplating even a sticky to get some base info about Universal Hollywood & WWoHP when it comes to the above questions people seem to ask the most about?

I'd be tempted to try to make one myself, but I've never been there - which is why I've been trying to search for / read through all the various individual posts about USH & WWoHP :D

I think one issue is the fact that Southern California has many more choices is Theme Parks and similar attractions, instead of the big three in the Orlando area, Disney, Universal and SeaWorld.

As of this year, Universal Studios Hollywood has become a true 2 day Park if you want to see/ride most of the attractions and shows.

Add to that Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, LEGOLAND California, SeaWorld San Diego, and then you can add Amusement parks like Adventure City, Castle Park, Belmont Park in San Diego and the Santa Monica Pier.

Add to that the San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, Birch Aquarium in La Jolla as major tourist attractions. (And you also have the LA Zoo, the Santa Ana Zoo and the OC Zoo in Irvine).

Plus then the seasonal water parks in the area, the museums, and add the beaches, scenic drives, etc... And you would have a lot of different sections....

I did this just recently...

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ne...and-tourist-attractions-2016-version.3544542/

Maybe "Southern California Theme Parks" should be moved out from under "Disneyland (California)" to under the main "Disneyland" section instead? Perhaps then would get a bit more traffic and less confusion. Do see posts in regards to USH/Knotts/etc in multiple subforums and I think that is probably due to the "Southern California Theme Parks" subforum located where it is currently at:

TBH this whole section is one big, confusing mess. How many visitors from outside the area know the geographic boundaries of "Southern California," which isn't even a place you can locate on a map? And what exactly is considered a "theme park"? Obviously DL, Knott's, Sea World, USH, and SFMM are. But you could also argue that the SD Zoo and Warner Bros Studio Tour have some theme park elements to them.

ETA: I noticed that once you get here it does say this forum is for all So Cal attractions. But that could still be confusing to people from say, Australia, who may not be familiar with local geography.

Last edited:
More specifically there really isn't much to discuss. Advance planning isn't necessary except maybe for buying tickets.

But...FWIW...I *wanted* advance info. To me USH was really confusing until I had actually been there. UO is way less confusing for me.

To me USH was really confusing until I had actually been there. UO is way less confusing for me.

I have a hard time understanding this. USH has only a handful of rides, no table service restaurants, no onsite hotels, no parades, and no nighttime shows. I think Disboards folks try to make things more complicated than they need to be because they are so used to WDW.

Maybe "Southern California Theme Parks" should be moved out from under "Disneyland (California)" to under the main "Disneyland" section instead? Perhaps then would get a bit more traffic and less confusion.
TBH this whole section is one big, confusing mess. How many visitors from outside the area know the geographic boundaries of "Southern California," which isn't even a place you can locate on a map? And what exactly is considered a "theme park"? Obviously DL, Knott's, Sea World, USH, and SFMM are.

I must admit, I did get confused about where exactly to post about USH, and the example (of being from Australia) is perfect because honestly I dont know the geographic locations, just had to try to guess and hope I ended up in the correct area (where the first time, I didnt)

But...FWIW...I *wanted* advance info. To me USH was really confusing until I had actually been there. UO is way less confusing for me.
Im with you on wanting advanced info, part of my personality means I like planning / looking forward to / thinking about / organizing my holidays in advance, especially when a unknown and new theme park (for me) is on the plans :)

I have a hard time understanding this. USH has only a handful of rides, no table service restaurants, no onsite hotels, no parades, and no nighttime shows. I think Disboards folks try to make things more complicated than they need to be because they are so used to WDW.
I understand what you're saying with USH being nothing like WDW. Im personally more used to DLR than WDW (done DLR 5 times, WDW only once)
But some of your comments (no onsite hotels, no night shows, no parades, etc) I actually wasn't aware of yet, which is why I'm trying to learn about it / find advanced information on it :)
I think there are 3 main reasons I like investigating advanced information on somewhere I've never been:
  1. Being on the other side of the world, and wanting some information for a theme park that I've never been to (from people who probably have been and know what its like) tends to help me, personally, I'm not sure about others.

2. I find when I learn advanced information on a park, I end up not-missing things that I would like just because if was unaware/ignorant of it (this has happened to me in the past) - which leads to the below point.

3. Taking trips across the globe isn't cheap, nor something we can do frequently, so if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars on flights alone for a vacation (plus hotels, car hire, dining, everything else) - I try to make it count by being as aware as I can be about wherever I'm going to.

I understand what you're saying with USH being nothing like WDW. Im personally more used to DLR than WDW (done DLR 5 times, WDW only once)
But some of your comments (no onsite hotels, no night shows, no parades, etc) I actually wasn't aware of yet, which is why I'm trying to learn about it / find advanced information on it :)

Believe me, I totally understand wanting to understand how it all works. The part I didn't understand was the perception of it being so "confusing." Unless one finds it confusing how such a small theme park as USH can draw so many millions of visitors. LOL

Let's see, two onsite Hotels with Shuttle Service to the park (Hilton and Sheraton) ,I have seen many parades at USH, while they don't run them all the time, they do offer them. While no table service inside the park (mainly QSR), plenty of them at Citywalk just outside the park). And plenty of Shows, maybe none specifically for the evenings, but then Citywalk has a main stage that offers them on a regular basis, and during Christmas, the Grinchmas Shows with Celebrity readings are offered nightly inside the park.

As for the rides, the majority of "rides" are E tickets, and then you have the Tram Tour with multiple "E Ticket" offerings.

And I was just there yesterday, enjoying the park and shows. And the lines were crazy!

And it looks like USH might be DCA in attendance in 2016.

Let's see, two onsite Hotels with Shuttle Service to the park (Hilton and Sheraton

There are no onsite hotels. The Sheraton and Hilton are just as "onsite" as the Harbor Blvd hotels are to DLR.

USH will be lucky to eke out a modest increase in attendance this year with the way they botched the AP program.

There are no onsite hotels. The Sheraton and Hilton are just as "onsite" as the Harbor Blvd hotels are to DLR.

USH will be lucky to eke out a modest increase in attendance this year with the way they botched the AP program.

Both the Sheraton and Hilton are on Universal property, and are partners. They have a special Universal run Shuttle that servicers both hotels.

And I know the numbers currently, and USH is very happy with the current amount. They are a bit worried about the Fall numbers and why they are adjusting its ticketing program, but tomorrow's price increase will help in a couple of reasons, first are the "suckers" that pay full price, but also to sell new SP/AP's that will add to the attendance count.

But then, that is why Disney is adjusting its AP plans with the return of the SoCal AP and the new COSTCO DCA pass. (Last time I went to COSTCO, the poor person checking for passes had an ad for the DCA Pass hanging off her neck).

And wait until folks see the Knott's numbers, everyone at Cedar Fair is happy...

Both the Sheraton and Hilton are on Universal property, and are partners.
Disney owns the Carousel Inn but it isn't considered "onsite" in the way most people on these forums understand the terminology. Likewise the Sheraton and Hilton are not generally regarded as onsite in these discussions.

The Sheraton and Hilton are featured on the USH signage on Lankershim Blvd, as part of the main entrance to USH. Clearly a Universal Run Shuttle and being part of "Universal City"shows that they are both part of the resort area.

Universal has clearly stated that they are both "on-property". As for the Carousel. Disney never advertised it, and was run by Wincome.

Plain and simple, there are TWO Onsite Hotels at USH, and plenty of "off-site" ones.

http://www.sheratonuniversal.com/

>>Free Shuttle Service

The free shuttle, provided by Universal Studios Hollywood, will conveniently take you to CityWalk Hollywood and Universal Studios Hollywood. This shuttle service runs 7 days a week, with pick-ups approximately every 10-15 minutes.<<

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-los-angeles-universal-city-BURUCHF/index.html

They are "on property," but they aren't operated as extensions of the theme park resort the same way as onsite hotels at DLR, WDW, and Universal Orlando. The Sheraton and Hilton were built to cater more to the studio business than theme park visitors. I also don't think they are owned by Universal, either.

ETA: Even on the hotels' websites they don't in any way indicate they are onsite hotels.

From the Sheraton website:"Stay with us steps away from Universal Studios Hollywood"
http://www.sheratonuniversal.com/

From the Hilton website: "Hotel close to Universal Studios Hollywood. Experience an exceptional stay at our AAA 4 Diamond, pet-friendly hotel. The Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City hotel is just a block away from the entrance to Universal Studios Hollywood and minutes from Hollywood."
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-los-angeles-universal-city-BURUCHF/index.html

Last edited:
And not all Hotels on 'property" at WDW and USO are owned by Disney, such as the Swan and Dolphin at WDW, and the Hard Rock and Lowes at USO.

Heck, the Disneyland Hotel was owned by Jack Wrather until the 1980's. Also the current Paradise Pier Hotel was also not Disney owned until 1995.

NBC/Comcast/Universal owns the land of both the Hilton and Sheraton, and has an investment in the Sheraton, but not full ownership.

Yes, the USH Hotels do a lot of business due to the filming on the lots, but then the Disney Hotels also do a lot of business due to the Anaheim Convention Center.

Yes, the Swan and Dolphin are "on property" at WDW but for the purposes of discussion on these boards they are usually considered off site. The Lowes hotels at Universal Florida are not owned by Universal but they are operated as extensions of the theme park resort, unlike the Hilton and Sheraton.

Yes, the Swan and Dolphin are "on property" at WDW but for the purposes of discussion on these boards they are usually considered off site. The Lowes hotels at Universal Florida are not owned by Universal but they are operated as extensions of the theme park resort, unlike the Hilton and Sheraton.

Treated how? Universal Studios Hollywood provides a Shuttle Tram service to both Hotels, seems like they treat them as part of the area. (Not a resort since it is only one park, unlike Disneyland, Knott's and Six Flags California).

Still think that DIS needs to add more forums, and make things clearer in labeling some forms "WDW" to make it clear. Just MHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter