Why does no one seem to want deck 2?

We've sailed over 15 times on Deck 2 on the Magic/Wonder and am scheduled on Deck 2 for the Dream. We love it (we've sailed on a few other decks as well but Deck 2 is our favorite.) I never heard it was an unpopular spot.

I'm sure people have all different tolerances to noise, we've never had problems with noise and we've been forward, midship and aft. Even in so-called noisy rooms under the nightclub area have been quiet. The noisiest part of the room have been the hangers clanging in the closet!

On the Magic, people complain that OceanQuest makes the midship area noisy but that won't be a problem on the Dream. With there being less staterooms on deck 2 of the Dream, it might even be one of the quietest decks!

I love deck 2. It is so convenient to so many things. I have had deck 2 mid-ship for 5 cruises. I also had a deck 2 cat 9 mid-ship booked for the 8/18 med but rebooked when the cat 12 gty price was too good to pass up. I was nervous about being on another deck. I was so accustomed to deck 2. I guess I got a little pixie dust and were ugraded to cat 9 and we are in a cabin around 8 doors down where we originally booked.:banana::banana:

I was just on Deck 2 midship for the Baltic cruise. LOVED it. There was a stabilizer or something that made a bit of noise occasionally, we got used to it.

The only "problem" was proximity to the tween club. After about half the cruise the kids got bored and started boarding the elevator and pressing all the buttons.

I think Deck 2 is one of the best kept secrets. We get a porthole near the aft elevator lobby. If there is engine noise I guess we must have missed it, because not once has it bothered us. Right up the stairs to the best deck on the ship (3) with two restaurants, a great lounge, the lobby and clubs with all the action. And we're right there for easy loading the elevator to go up top. Only things far away are the spa/workout and the coffee shop. The walk to the theater is rare and pleasant. Life is good on deck 2, I highly recommend it. Keep it a secret!

Hmm.. i guess i heard wrong then.

I don't know for a fact, but I bet you are partially right. AZIPODs are pretty commonplace on newer ships, so I'd be surprised if Dream didn't have them. However, they are typically only used for maneuvering in tight spaces, and are not powerful enough to get all that tonnage to full speed. For that, you still need big 'ol propellors at the end of big 'ol shafts. My money's on Dream having both.

We were on Deck 2 on the Wonder, and loved it. It seemed very easy to get to everything. To leave the ship to the food to everything. We are on Deck 8 on the Dream so hopefully it will be just as good as on the Wonder.

Yes, easy to get to everything because the only way you can go is UP. :)

I hope the location is as good as it sounds!

Another one that loved Deck 2. We were just forward of the aft elevators and thought it was so convenient! Yes, there was a slight hum but it didn't bother us at all. We are 11B GTY for our PC cruise and I wouldn't mind ending up on deck 2, Cat 9 on deck 2 would be great!!

We were on Deck 2 for the EBTA. 14 nights and it was wonderful! The location was so convenient in getting to meals, empty elevators, etc. I didn't notice much noise---but then again, we're not really bothered by a little background noise (lived in cities too long).

we were in 2134 and my in-laws in 2136 for the 2nd Baltic recently. I did notice some engine vibration noise- but I honestly felt that up on the upper decks as well (it was my first cruise). It was more of a background noise type hum, not loud or anything. And when we would pull into port I would sometimes here what I thought was the anchor (don't think that is what it was, isn't the anchor at the front? We were aft). But that was a short duration (3 minutes long maybe). My in-laws never noticed any noise. We had a sound machine in our room for the kids. I would without a doubt book a deck 2 room again, no question!! We were aft and it was so convenient for getting around the ship and the elevators were always empty for going up to deck 9. Loved it!

We have stayed on deck 5 and deck 2. We prefer deck 2 and will be staying there again next month :yay:

So happy to hear that so many are pleased with deck 2. I just booked our first cruise for 15 family members. We've got 2 staterooms on Deck 8 and 3 on Deck 2 - The families with kids are on 8 and dh and I are on 2 along with Mom/Dad and Aunt/Uncle. I'm thinking the folks (all in their early/mid 70s) may prefer this deck since it seems like you all are saying it's less crowded and easy to get to everything. (I doubt they'll be using the fitness club or spa)

I liked that it is close to EG and I know my husband doesn't mind a little noise when falling asleep. Since my uncle sails on the Mass Maritime ships I'm sure this will be the lap of luxury for him! Can't wait!:banana:

We have been on Deck 1 and 2 several times and love the location. Can't tell you how many times I have been in the atrium and needed to pick up or drop off something in our cabin....so very easy to just run down a flight or two of stairs and be back in all the action in a few minutes. We spent 2 weeks in 2546 for the EBTA in 2005 and cruised in that same cabin for 2 other cruises...great location!!!

As far as the vibration noise...I have felt/heard it in any aft cabin even up on decks 5/6/7 so it is not just heard/felt aft on Deck 2.

Here is a blurb I always post when people are concerned about Deck 2. Some of the info is for people not yet decided on a deck but you can get an idea of what I am getting at.

The benefits of staying on Deck 2 or Deck 1...putting some misconceptions to rest!.

I can never understand when people say that Deck 2 is far away from everything or that they feel afraid of staying on the lower decks....the opposite is actually correct (at least on the Magic and Wonder....still have to wait to see about the Dream!)....if you think about the layout of the ship and you are staying on Decks 1 or 2, the only places that you really need to take an elevator to are Decks 9 and 10....except of course if you are in a wheelchair or handicapped in some way (or just don’t like stairs)...but think...you can have that extra dessert if you walk some stairs LOL!!.

Here is a breakdown of decks....

Decks 9 and 10 - Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet restaurant, Mickey Pool, Goofy Pool, Adult Pool, the Vista Spa, the fast food places, Cove Café (coffee bar), the Deck Parties, Palo....if you didn’t want to hike up the stairs you can take an elevator to these decks from Deck 2 (hint...the forward elevator is almost always available and takes you right to adult pool area and spa on Deck 9).

Decks 6, 7, 8 - these are passengers decks...no cruise "activities" and you would still have to walk up 2, 3 or 4 flights to the pool deck (Deck 9) or Palo, sports deck (Deck 10).

Deck 5 - has some passenger cabins and the Oceaneer Club, Oceaneer Lab, Flounders and the Buena Vista movie theater (all these are only 3 flights up from Deck 2).

Deck 4 - has the Walt Disney Theater, Mickey Mates shop, Treasure Ketch shop, Studio Sea lounge, Tea with Alice event, Shuffle Board, those great comfy Deck chairs outside, the walking/running area, Animator's Palate Dining Room, Shutters (all these are only 2 flights up from Deck 2).

Deck 3 - has Rockin Bar D/Wave Bands (theme nights, game shows, comedy shows, nightclub acts, Bingo), Diversions Pub, Sessions Piano Bar, Promenade Lounge, Up Beat shop, Internet Cafe, Guest Services Desk, Shore Excursion Desk, The Atrium (where most of the photos ops are taken and autographs given plus the games like Chip It Golf or Frog Racing, the Captain's Cocktail Party, Martini Tasting, Margarita Tasting, Art Auctions, Till We Meet Again Party) Parrot Cay Dining Room, the Galley Tour, Lumiere's/Triton's Dining Room (and I probably forgot a few activities).... (all these are only one flight up from Deck 2)

Deck 2 - has the new kids area called Ocean Quest (on the Magic) plus passenger cabins - just walk down the hall.

And finally Deck 1 has the Medical Facility and some passenger cabins...(only one deck down).

So, saying that Deck 2 is too low and too far removed from all the activity is not correct at all....it is actually closer to MORE of everything going on onboard except for things that happen on Decks 9 and 10. In addition, Deck 2 is at least equal in distance to some things as if you were staying on Deck 6, not to mention the convenience of getting on and off the ship in ports...no waiting endlessly for the elevator to the higher decks when you come back from a hot, exhausting day of exploring the ports....just one flight up and you are “home”....priceless!!!

DCL has decorated all their passenger cabin hallways in the same fashion. You would not really know if you were stepping off the elevator onto Deck 8 or Deck 1 by the decor so don't think that the lower decks are in any way less desirable than the higher decks. Obviously if you want a veranda you need to get a cabin on the higher decks as that is where they are located but if you are happy with an inside or an oceanview, save some money and book on decks 1 or 2. None of the DCL passenger decks are below the water line (which is another misconception of lower decks).

I personally love Deck 2 , Cat 9 as they have the huge portholes and I love looking out across the ocean!!!

Enjoy Deck 2!!

We are also booked on Deck 2 for the MV of the Dream so I will let you know what Deck 2 is like in January!!!

MJ

Also want to mention that after wandering around Northern European capitals all day and a lot of people coming onto Deck 1 from excursions were waiting for the elevator, being able to walk up one flight instead of cramming into an elevator IS priceless...

I loved our location on deck 2 for the EBTA. We were right near the forward elevators and since there were 3 adults in our cabin we were one flight from our favorite spot in Diversions and one quick elevator ride to Cove Cafe and the comfy loungers! :thumbsup2

If there hadn't have been restaurants back there, I'm not sure if I'd even of made it aft! :rotfl:

Loved deck 2 !!!
Had a CAT 12 Gty and ended with a CAT 9----cabin 2010 and our Aunt and Uncle in 2012 for our 11 night Med Cruise. Loved the location ---didn't have any noise problems or perhaps we were too tired at night from our port visits---LOL !!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter