Why do you have the passion for camping at Fort Wilderness?

DavidLeaphart

Dis Railroad Man
From your viewpoint, what makes Fort Wilderness, "Fort Wilderness"? What is it about the resort that fires your passion? What is it that makes you want to pack up and go right now??

Lastly, ponder this one: If Fort Wilderness was not a Disney resort, not located at Disney World, would you still feel the passion to go there?

:woohoo: :wizard:

David

The first question: The ambience of FtW, which I've never experienced anywhere else.

The second question: Probably. I've just never heard of another CG that offers everything that FtW has (parks exlcuded). If you know of one - share it!!

If it were anywhere but Disney I would not go as the cost is way to high. I prefer state parks for my general camping. Fort Wilderness is the best private campground that we stay at.

Well-I'm a FL resident and I've lived here since 1978. I had only discovered (ok visited) FTW in 2004. It was always so expensive. My dh got 50% off resorts and a 5 days pass from WDW after the hurricances so that's when we decided to try it. After camping at State parks (which is what we usually do) and KOA's while traveling...The fort is the way to go. It cost just as much as some KOA's and RV resorts. You get more at the Fort for your money in my opinion. You are paying for the movie, campfire, the pool(s), the bus system, the fireworks, the electric water show, etc.-technically
It's the fun for the whole family-it's the "magic":wizard:, it's relaxing (we don't go into the parks). It's an adventure you can't get anywhere else....someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I wish I had experienced it earlier in life but luckily early enough for my kids to enjoy it. Yet, lucky enough to have it in my backyard.:cool1:

My favorite thing about the Fort are the people, the sense of instant community. Campers are a friendly lot to begin with, but things are ramped up at the Fort. We all know this is a very expensive vacation, for many maybe the trip of a lifetime, and sure don't want bad attitudes to ruin it, so most folks are determined to be as happy-go-lucky as possible. Particularly around Christmas, my favorite time to visit.

If the Fort were not at Disney, but was still a boat ride away from an incredible entertainment, shopping and dining district then the answer is an unequivocal "yes!" If the Fort were a short boat ride to the River Walk, or Bourbon Street, or Washington DC we would still drive that far and pay that much. The dining options are a major part of the attraction of a Fort vacation. And I just love hopping boats and monorails to go touring other resorts and shopping. We could easily spend a vacation at the Fort and never enter a park and not feel the least bit deprived. If the Fort were plopped down in some remote woods and the only attraction were the things currently within the confines of the Fort we might still go occasionally to just unwind and get a Hoop-fix, but it wouldn't be often at these rates... maybe once every 5-6 years.

:santa:

We like the fort because its one of the few true resort campgounds that you can be as busy or as lazy as you want to be everyday. We are snowbirds and try to spend 6-8 wks of our winter at Disney. Would another campground be a lot less expensive? Sure, but, our idea of busy is looping, watching new neighbors move in....catching a boat, monorail, train, or bus ride. Not playing horseshoes, shuffleboard, or bingo like at other campgrounds. Our idea of eating out is having dinner at the Biegarten or Cape Mays clambake. Not potluck dinners at the clubhouse.

Would we come to FW if it wasnt attached to Disney? Maybe....but it'd be for a short stay of a week not 2 months.

We love the Fort, because of all the activities at the Fort alone. When we go we rarely go into the parks. We love the atmosphire, security, cleaniness, and the other campers. I mean where else can a Mother, 2 daughters, and a granddaughter go on a camping trip alone and feel perfectly safe these days?

Would we still go to the Fort if it was not on Disney Property? Probably if it had all the same activities, security. Like I said there is a lot of times we don't even go to the Parks and there are sometimes we are so busy doing the activities that are offered at the Fort that we forget we are on property until we walk into the Trading Post and get slapped in the face with Mickey Stuff then reality comes back.
Sheri

It is difficult to nail down just what it is about FW that I really love the most.
I do love camping in state parks. FW is a resort. It's location in WDW is one factor that makes it appealing to all of the family. My wife and I may or may not go to a park. The kids have easy access to all that FW has to offer, the parks, DTD, etc.

For me personally, I have a sense of being home when I am there. It is a familiar place, a friendly place to be. Sitting on the porch out front of TE with a cold drink watching folks, listening to the boats, just soaking it all in, it just feels good on so many levels.

IT'S A DISNEY THING..... we just don't need to explain :goodvibes

there are people we know that just don't get it and never will... i think all us fort fiends were born with ears. :earsboy:

We are also snow birds and last year was our first exstended stay at the fort, For many years my family would make the drive from MA. to WDW and my friends would always say you can go any where why do you keep going back, after many years of thought I guess it's just a fort wilderness thing once it gets you it's hard to get it out of your system!!! And for the record yes my wife and I will be back January and February next year cant wait!!!!:cool1:

It would be a lot nicer without all the tourists :rolleyes1

Love it! Haha!

I much prefer camping to being anywhere. Shan-man said it best, campers are just a friendly community of people. You don't get that everywhere. We just got back from Daytona Beach Shores.....stayed in a hotel we've been staying at for years...I do love the hotel, but would honestly much rather be in my camper, meeting and talking to other campers. I've only been to FtW one time (second time coming in less than 4 months) but just feel it's a magical place to be. Part of that is Disney magic. :)

cruisin' around in a golf cart, starting the day on the motor launch, aardvark huntin' (yankee passtime), communal sense of purpose.

Well, I don't know where to start! Fort Wilderness has been such a big part of our family for around 30+ years. As I have shared on the Disboards before, for our family it is a tradition that we absolutely 'Love'! We feel like we have raised our two daughters at Disney once or twice a year since they were 2-years old and now our oldest will be 36 this October and our youngest is 32. During the time that our youngest daughter was in college she loved Disney so much she became a Cast Member at Disney in the College Program and worked at MGM. Our oldest daughter and her family have visited WDW so many times I have lost count! They both still 'Love' Disney and Fort Wilderness as much as my wife and myself do! We now have the joy of sharing the Fort with our four grandchildren and we still get very excited every time we plan our next trip back! It all started at the 'Fort'! Believe me, we are a 'Fort Wilderness Family'!

As was shared earlier on this thread every time we are at the Fort we feel like we are back at our second home! We have so many great memories of the special times we have had at Fort Wilderness! It's the people (Campers & Cast Members), it's the place (Beautiful, Clean, Safe, GC Looping, Pool & TE), it's the special feeling that you have while you are there! No other place like it in my opinion!

The Fort is a very special place but part of what makes it special is it's 'Disney'! It is part of the total package! We have vacationed at FW many times and have not gone to the parks but just enjoyed all that the Fort has to offer! I am sure the experience would not have been the same without WDW there but we would still go back but not as often.

Doug / datgrt@fw

I have to agree with thought that there is just friendly atomoshpere at the Fort. There is a sense of community there that is just stronger than any other campground we've ever been to. Add to that the amenities, cleanliness, activities etc.; no place better.

Would we still make the 14 hour haul if it was not attached to WDW? I'd like to think so. I know we would after we had been once but it's hard to describe or believe how wonderful the FW experience is until you've been there. If there was another FW located 14 hours a away with no WDW attached, their ad would have to be "as great an experience as the other FW or your money back" to get be to try it.

I'm not sure exactly what draws me to FW but I think it the nice campsites, being able to take a boatride or hop the monorail in the evening, strolling through the campground early in the morning, memories of camping there when my daughter was 3, 4, 5, 6....10, being able to feel and act like a kid again (wear mouse ears if you want), decorate my campsite with things I would never put out at home, swimming at the pool and then hoping a boat and then monorail to go out for dinner, the familiar smell of the Meadows Trading post. . . . Can't wait until October!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter