Why do you have the passion for camping at Fort Wilderness?

My favorite thing about the Fort are the people, the sense of instant community. Campers are a friendly lot to begin with, but things are ramped up at the Fort. We all know this is a very expensive vacation, for many maybe the trip of a lifetime, and sure don't want bad attitudes to ruin it, so most folks are determined to be as happy-go-lucky as possible. Particularly around Christmas, my favorite time to visit.
:santa:

I totally agree. People really go all out decorating their sites. I rarely see as much at state parks or other private campgrounds. I compare FtW to a very nice neighborhood where people compete for who has the best decorations. One of our favorite things to do at night is to drive around in the golf cart as if we were riding around in our home town looking at all the lights and elaborate displays. Its like a miniature home town to us.

We often use campgrounds as a base to sightsee an area of interest. That is what led us to the Fort the first time...a place to stay inside Disney and save money. Then the Fort became a destination in itself. In fact I would say that less than 1/3 of our total days visiting Disney have been in the parks. The fort is that good by itself.

A few of the best things: Clean Comfort Stations with laundromat and ice machines in every loop. Level paved sites with plenty of room so your not sardined in. Security. Easy drive thru check in. Courteous staff. So much to do (horseback riding, boating, fishing, tennis, pools, beach, etc). The dog can have fun too.

First question ... proximity to the parks!

Second question ... no, there are better, more fun, and cheaper campgrounds elsewhere.

I've asked myself this same question before, generally during the 30 plus hour haul. I guess others have mentioned the feeling of being home. We have stayed at other WDW resorts and never had the same feeling of being home. What could be much better than having your own "home" at WDW? So I guess without being attached to WDW we might visit if we happened to be near FW but certainly not endure 30 hours of "family togetherness" to get there.;)

From your viewpoint, what makes Fort Wilderness, "Fort Wilderness"? What is it about the resort that fires your passion? What is it that makes you want to pack up and go right now??

I wouldn't call it a passion, but a great campground with the convenience to WDW you just can't get anywhere else. What makes me want to pack and go is not FW, but everything WDW has to offer. FW is just the best option for us being an RV owner.

Lastly, ponder this one: Fort Wilderness was not a Disney resort, not located at Disney World, would you still feel the passion to go there?

:woohoo: :wizard:

No

David

Larry

After just two nights at the Fort, our family is hooked - we have been camping as a family for 8 years and are always eager to try new places. But the Fort is just a magical place - no where else that I know of could a private company put together a 700 acre camping resort in a major metro/major tourist area and set it up like the fort is, I just hope that Disney values the fort and the experience it provides its camping guests and doesn't decide in the future to convert it to private ownership lots, more cabins or a different alternate use of the land like many of the other large camping resorts we have been to seem to be trying to do.

Hi AuburnJen,

I see your first visit was in 1973.....Do you remember anything about the railroad that ran thru the campground during those visits in the 70's?

popcorn::

David

Yes, I remember riding the train and the visits with my grandparents back then. They had a class C. It is fuzzy, but I remember. My father's whole side of the family are huge train buffs so trains are a big deal. I thank my grandfather for my passion.

Well, I don't know where to start! Fort Wilderness has been such a big part of our family for around 30+ years.

Hi Datgrt,

With your many visits to Fort over the years, do you remember anything about the railroad that ran there in the 70's?

:3dglasses

David

Yes, I remember riding the train and the visits with my grandparents back then. They had a class C. It is fuzzy, but I remember. My father's whole side of the family are huge train buffs so trains are a big deal. I thank my grandfather for my passion.

Hi Auburnjen,

Good stuff! I'm a big train fan myself..... Does your family have any photos of the Fort and maybe the railroad of those days?

David

Hi Datgrt,

With your many visits to Fort over the years, do you remember anything about the railroad that ran there in the 70's?

:3dglasses

David

Hello David ......... Sorry I can't help you with your question about the train. It stopped running before our first trip to Fort Wilderness. During our early visits to FW the trams were used throughout the campground to transport guest instead of by bus.

fw_tram_88.jpg

Doug / datgrt@fw

i have been camping at fort wilderness since i was 15 with my best friends family. now that we have teenagers of our own it is so much fun to ride around in the golf carts and embarrass them just like we were. home is where the heart is and fort wilderness is what comes to mind when i think of home.

I like the inexpensive, half frozen bags of ice!!! No....wait...I love it when they put the beer on sale. Oh,wait...that doesnt happen either!

Separating FtW from Disney isnt possible, because most of the things that make the fort such a great place to be are directly related to being on Disney property. Jumping on the boat for a trip to the monorail for a tour of the resorts....that cant happen on NON DISNEY grounds....Ive never wanted to tour regular ol' resorts! Would the outdoor movie/campfire really be so special if it werent Disney movies? Would the internal transportation even be neccessary if it werent for the parks?

The Fort is an incredible place to camp...possibly the best. But MUCH of that is BECAUSE its in the heart of Disney World. That doesnt mean that a trip to the fort is pointless if you arent going to the parks...because I'd rather play around the campground all day versus going to the parks. But there's enough Disney magic at the Fort not to feel the desire for the full blown Disney hype.

The Fort is perfect if you just need a little Disney Magic and dont want to deal with the all out super-excitement of the parks...a little Disney goes a long way.

Hi Auburnjen,

Good stuff! I'm a big train fan myself..... Does your family have any photos of the Fort and maybe the railroad of those days?

David

I will certainly ask them. They will probably be in my uncle's possession now that my grandfather has passed. Let me see what I can find.

First question ... proximity to the parks!

Second question ... no, there are better, more fun, and cheaper campgrounds elsewhere.

CCIntrigue...you've been around for a good while on the DIS...and I sure respect your opinions and value your input. Could you tell us about some of the campgrounds that are better than the fort, and what attractions make them more fun.....I would love to take my family somewhere that compares to the fort for less money, and now that we have finally gotten a camper...Im ready to roll!!!

I will certainly ask them. They will probably be in my uncle's possession now that my grandfather has passed. Let me see what I can find.

Thanks, AuburnJen!!! :thumbsup2

I'm currently writing a book on Walt Disney World railroads and the Fort Wilderness RR is a key chapter (of course!). Photos of the Fort in the 70's and especially the RR are very hard to find. If you find any, I would really appreciate your consideration to have them published in the book, and credited to your collection and probably your Grandfather (presuming he took them!).... Good stuff...

:smickey:

David

It would be a lot nicer without all the tourists :rolleyes1

we alternate vacations between WDW and SD/WY. Yellowstone, Badlands, Custer, Tetons are great vacations, but not a single campground even close to FW. It is by leaps and bounds nicer than any other place we stay, too bad so many florida crackers frequent the place...sorry BDD!!!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter