Why do people have to be negative about Disney

It's nice to not feel alone in that DH thinks I'm crazy for wanting to spend so much money on this vacation. He keeps saying that's a room of furniture. My 2 boys have never been there - they'll be 6 and 11 and I cannot wait to share the excitement with them and seeing DW through their eyes as well. I keep trying to explain to DH what is wrong with living in fantasy world for a few days and trying to forget our daily struggles. Our children will always remember their first trip to DW and how special it was. I even asked DH last night if he would rather stay home.

sherreis said:
It's nice to not feel alone in that DH thinks I'm crazy for wanting to spend so much money on this vacation. He keeps saying that's a room of furniture. My 2 boys have never been there - they'll be 6 and 11 and I cannot wait to share the excitement with them and seeing DW through their eyes as well. I keep trying to explain to DH what is wrong with living in fantasy world for a few days and trying to forget our daily struggles. Our children will always remember their first trip to DW and how special it was. I even asked DH last night if he would rather stay home.

Since it's your kids' first time, let him come. Ha Ha!
Next time, he should stay home.
No Disney Buzz Kills allowed!

It is VERY nice to know I am not alone! My MIL gives us so much grief about going to Disney that we don't even tell her we're going anymore! DH and I are going tomorrow for a short 2-day stay before we leave for a cruise, and DH lied and told her we were going early to visit with some friends of ours who live in Orlando! I know it's sad, but we needed her to watch our kids!!!!!!
:rolleyes:

disgram said:
I have this conversation about 10 or 12 times while planning a trip with family and friends!

"WHAT??YOU'RE GOING AGAIN????"

Yea, I am!!! I waited all my life to go to WDW and I have such a wonderful time there that I cannot wait to get back!!!

"IT WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE!!!!"

Yea, it will cost a little money, but I save as much as I can on the room and I wait for the FREE DINING.

"AIRLINES ARE SO EXPENSIVE!"

They can be but if you watch you can get good deals.

"THERE ARE OTHER PLACES NOT SO EXPENSIVE AND NOT SO FAR AWAY!"

True, there are but I prefer to spend MY time at Disney!!!!!

Try it....you may like it too!!!!

pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

OH MY! It's almost scary - I have the same conversations every trip!! My Mother is the worst. We have thought from time to time that maybe if we could afford it, that it would be nice to bring the rest of my family to show them the magic, but unfortunately, we realize that they just wouldn't get it!! :rotfl2: You need to be open for the magic. It doesn't seem to matter for me how many times I go, the same things give me goosebumps every trip - And every time we see the morning opening of MK and I watch my family , I cry a little (my DH says he loves that I still get choked up). I have so much "Disney" in my home, it's a little funny. From animal statues, to Mickey pictures, and figurines, etc. Some are subtle, that nobody would realize are Disney, some are obvious. My DH surprised me with a piece of artwork, personally signed to us by the artist, Timothy, (Bushman) at Animal Kingdom Lodge!! It is one of my favorite things!
Anyway, I know what you mean about "mean". I don't know why they act like that! Oh Well, can't change everyone. Atleast they can't change us!! Bye, Jane

disgram said:
I have this conversation about 10 or 12 times while planning a trip with family and friends!

"WHAT??YOU'RE GOING AGAIN????"

Yea, I am!!! I waited all my life to go to WDW and I have such a wonderful time there that I cannot wait to get back!!!

"IT WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE!!!!"

Yea, it will cost a little money, but I save as much as I can on the room and I wait for the FREE DINING.

"AIRLINES ARE SO EXPENSIVE!"

They can be but if you watch you can get good deals.

"THERE ARE OTHER PLACES NOT SO EXPENSIVE AND NOT SO FAR AWAY!"

True, there are but I prefer to spend MY time at Disney!!!!!

Try it....you may like it too!!!!

pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Ooooh, my conversations are very similar. But as I said in an earlier post, I have a hearing problem:

deekaypee said:
Whenever anyone starts to pass value judgments about my choices [...] I look at them and imagine them quacking like a duck (not Donald, though).

Then I find myself staring at them with a slightly confused look, :confused3 or sometimes a half-stare "deer in the headlights" gaze. :bitelip: They're talking, but all I'm hearing is "Quack, quack, quackety, quack." Now, they don't know why I've got that look on my face, but they do know their attempt to convert me to their way of thinking has failed horribly.

So my version of your conversation goes something like this:

"WHAT??YOU'RE GOING AGAIN????" I hear, "Quaaack? Quaaack??"
My response: :confused3

"IT WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE!!!!" I hear, "Quack Quack Quack!!"
My response: "Yessss???"

"AIRLINES ARE SO EXPENSIVE!" I hear, "Quackety Quack!!!"
My response: :bitelip:

"THERE ARE OTHER PLACES NOT SO EXPENSIVE AND NOT SO FAR AWAY!" I hear: "Quack quack, quackty, quack. Quack!!!"
My response: :rolleyes1

Then I usually get the one question that does translate, perhaps because it uses the magic word in it: "WHY DISNEY?"
My response: "Because it's Disney! :teeth:

HAHAHA!!! My DH is the same way. He just doesn't get the happy feeling that my daughters and I get when we're there. He went in 2003, we were a group of 13 :crazy: Last year, we took our grandson to Star Wars Weekends, by the 4th day he was a royal PITA. He did not come last December, and he is definately not coming next month! He will be there in Dec of 2007. Our youngest daughter is having her Fairy Tale Wedding there!!!
And, if he cuts up too much, I will send him home right after the ceremony!!!!

Here I am thinking I am the only one running into disney haters. I am amazed when someone says they have no need to go back and they have small children. Just the wonder in a childs eyes ALONE is enough to bring me back!!! For me I have had some of the best memories in my life in those parks with family and friends at all ages in my life....and look forward to going back the moment the plane leaves Orlando. Glad to see that so many wifes go without their husbands....mine could do without it for a few years.....but I feel the need to go once a year. Maybe I'll be going alone with DD some day sooner than later. :Pinkbounc

ObsessedwithWDW said:
Here I am thinking I am the only one running into disney haters. I am amazed when someone says they have no need to go back and they have small children. Just the wonder in a childs eyes ALONE is enough to bring me back!!! For me I have had some of the best memories in my life in those parks with family and friends at all ages in my life....and look forward to going back the moment the plane leaves Orlando. Glad to see that so many wifes go without their husbands....mine could do without it for a few years.....but I feel the need to go once a year. Maybe I'll be going alone with DD some day sooner than later. :Pinkbounc

I have to tell you, my daughter and I have gone alone twice! Once when she was 7 and again at 9. We had the BEST TIME! I difinitely recommend Mommy - Daughter trips. First of all, we are a family of four - and although we all go together and love it, it is so much easier with just two people (any two really). Less negotiating, less decision making on food, parks, rides, or anything else daughters and sons can disagree on. :rotfl: Also, my DH and DS can't deal with the heat as well as DD and myself, so we lasted much longer int he parks. Then we swam all night! We both know at some point, they are going to be too cool to hang out with us - so take advantage of the quality time now!! DD is going on 12 now and still talks about those trips together, and wants to know when we can do it again, just us! If you can do it, go for it sooner than later!! They grow up too fast! Bye- Jane

I've only read the first page here so far, but I just wanted go ahead and leave my comment on this issue.

My DH had never been to Disney before we took our first family trip 3 years ago. I was worried, of course, that he would hate it.

I lucked out big time, because he loved every bit of it. It is the one place where he could totally put work out of his mind and totally forget about it for a week. He parks his cell phone into the room safe upon arrival and doesn't take it out unless we need to call home or until we leave.

I knew I had him hooked when we were walking to the Beach Club bus stop and the kids were still fighting over who was going to push the elevator button next (this was the ONLY thing they fought over!). We were several steps behind the quarrelling musketeers and DH leaned over to me and said with a huge grin:

"Even when the kids are being total s***heads, I'm having a GREAT time!"

:scared1::lmao:

There's also something about the Disney magic that makes our kids get along like they are the best of friends (unless an elevator is involved). DH sees that, and takes full advantage.

But he knows there's more to Disney than just theme parks. He took the boys to play golf the afternoon we arrived last March, and had a tee time set up for him at the Palm a couple of days later. (Disney will put you in a foursome - he really enjoyed that as he does like meeting new people.) When he was done, he was on :cloud9: about the "best golf game ever."

He even thinks Disney is a better value for the money spent. We both agree that not a single penny spent at Disney has been "wasted." It is a vacation, after all, and life is just too short to worry about how much money is blown on a vacation.

When I carefully suggested an adult-only trip to the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, he was intrigued. When I read snippets of Vettechick99's trip reports during F&W to him, he was hooked. The kids have said they want nothing to do with F&W, so I think we're good to go on that. But when we're going is the big question. But we're definitely going to do it one year.

That being said, I do understand when people say, "What?? Disney again???" I just look at them square in the eye and say, "Disney is my Prozac."

Only big challenge for me now is that I've gotta convince DH I'd rather renew our wedding vows at Sunset Pointe rather than with Elvis in Vegas. :lmao:

Yes, I know I'm lucky. I really do feel for you gals whose DHs haven't gotten bit by the Disney bug. :grouphug:

My DH has spent months planning and updating our own personal touring plan! He also saved us $300 by watching SW for deals. I hope other spouses will see it as a time spent together. My DD (6) STILL looks at her Disney album about once a week and we went 2 yrs. ago.

I booked a trip for my DD (7) and myself for September. I am sooo excited. The best part is that she doesn't know about it. I am going to pick her up from school, car already packed, and head down there. What a great suprise!!! :cool1:

disneymagicgirl said:
I booked a trip for my DD (7) and myself for September. I am sooo excited. The best part is that she doesn't know about it. I am going to pick her up from school, car already packed, and head down there. What a great suprise!!! :cool1:

GOOD FOR YOU!! What a COOL MOM!! Have lots of fun!! :Pinkbounc

marathonmommy said:
We need to start our own forum . . . "Married - but Disney Single"
I am glad to find commraderie with harvest02 and you!
I've got the dog to board, too. But more importantly, hubby can be a Disney buzkill. He doesn't get it like I do! (Okay, maybe my two kids love it by default, but I'll take that for now!)
As mentioned earlier, we just go without the hubby. I love to go with sis and/or mom - other Disney fans. They get "IT"!
Maybe one day all of us DisBoard - "Married but Disney Single" people should plan a trip!

See now there are pluses and minuses to both sides. My husband does like Disney and going as a family. So much that he got upset when I wanted to go last April with my sister and her children. He was afraid that it would take away from how special it is if my daughter and I went without him. I love that he enjoys it but I love to enjoy it with my sister too, since that is who I started going to Disney with. :confused3

BUT WE DO

ME and My huppy and the Kids love it.
I thenk we love it more then the kids.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Dont you just love the your crazy looks when you talk about disney? I get them alot since I talk about it. But hey I only talk about it when I am going to get to go or after I get back. Which is all the time! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter