Why do people have to be negative about Disney

I always get an eye roll, then "How old are you again? Disney is for kids...you don't have any kids...grow up. Go to the Caribbean like an adult."

Okay...as long as it's PIRATES of the Caribbean! :teeth:

The way I see this is that we are like Peter Pan and the Lost Boys and those who are negative about Disney are the Wendy's Dads of the world. Some people just don't know how to stay a kid at heart and others like us never truely grow up. It is just a fact of life. :tinker:

I say, each to their own.

Whenever anyone starts to pass value judgments about my choices--whether how to spend discretionary income, where to go on vacation, why I own Mickey ears, whatever--I look at them and imagine them quacking like a duck (not Donald, though).

Then I find myself staring at them with a slightly confused look, :confused3 or sometimes a half-stare "deer in the headlights" gaze. :bitelip: They're talking, but all I'm hearing is "Quack, quack, quackety, quack." Now, they don't know why I've got that look on my face, but they do know their attempt to convert me to their way of thinking has failed horribly.

It also helps remind me to let their commentary roll off my back like--and you knew this was coming--water off a duck!

I say to each there own.
My DH has gone several times on our trips to Disney.
While he enjoyed it he much rather go on his fishing Trips tro Canada.
Most likely his last trip to Disney was October 2005 due to health reasons.
So now it is me and my 2 grand daughters. We usually arrange our visits with my other DD and grandchildren.

He understands our "Disney Addiction" and actually encourages us to have fun.

Who are we to argue, our Disney Addiction will continue to infinity and beyond!

:rotfl2: :wave:

I often get the "how many times can you go to Disney" comment- my reply- I'm doing my best to find out. I went to Disney 3 times in High School, and now have taken my 3 kids every other year since 2000. My husband and and I took a two week honeymoon in 2002, one week in New Orleans, one week in Disney. My parents actually flew the kids down to meet up with us. My dad at the time was not real excited, but he had never been to WDW with his grandkids! Now he insists on coming on every trip! He even came down with me to camp at Ft Wilderness with our Cub Scout group this past April, and is super excited to go back in October! Now my husband, he's a grouch. Starting grumbling about the trip the other day to his mom, and I explained he could stay home. It would save me lots of money. I pay for the trips, the food and all the kids souveniers, all he has to do is show up!Honestly! Men!

If people are negative, it is because the green-eyed monster bit them in the b_ _ t!!! or they just don't "get it." WDW is not so much about a destination, it is a state of mind. With all the stuff going wrong in the world right now, it's going to take someone with a big tool box to fix it.

hammer.gif
toolbox2.jpg

That's what Disney does for my family and me. It takes us out of "the real world" for awhile, and takes us to a place where we can just be a family together. We make memories and that is worth everything. Let the naysayers stay away. More room for us :thumbsup2

EEYOREMAMA said:
If people are negative, it is because the green-eyed monster bit them in the b_ _ t!!! or they just don't "get it." WDW is not so much about a destination, it is a state of mind. With all the stuff going wrong in the world right now, it's going to take someone with a big tool box to fix it.

That's what Disney does for my family and me. It takes us out of "the real world" for awhile, and takes us to a place where we can just be a family together. We make memories and that is worth everything. Let the naysayers stay away. More room for us

Amen to that :wizard:

hrh_disney_queen said:
OMG, are you......ME??? I could have written this post word for word...except we have 4 dogs to board.. :crazy:

We need to start our own forum . . . "Married - but Disney Single"
I am glad to find commraderie with harvest02 and you!
I've got the dog to board, too. But more importantly, hubby can be a Disney buzkill. He doesn't get it like I do! (Okay, maybe my two kids love it by default, but I'll take that for now!)
As mentioned earlier, we just go without the hubby. I love to go with sis and/or mom - other Disney fans. They get "IT"!
Maybe one day all of us DisBoard - "Married but Disney Single" people should plan a trip!

Ditto...I don't get the lack of appreciation some people have for our beloved Disney. It's absolutely Baffling!

Disney is a place and a thing that never ceases to bring me undescribable joy, yet there are so many people who just don't understand that, and I in turn, don't understand them. Oh well. Atleast WE have Disney. :wizard:

BTW, congrats on your soon to be WDW wedding! Where are you having it? That's so exciting! I got engaged at WDW and we honeymooned there as well. :lovestruc

marathonmommy said:
We need to start our own forum . . . "Married - but Disney Single"
I am glad to find commraderie with harvest02 and you!
I've got the dog to board, too. But more importantly, hubby can be a Disney buzkill. He doesn't get it like I do! (Okay, maybe my two kids love it by default, but I'll take that for now!)
As mentioned earlier, we just go without the hubby. I love to go with sis and/or mom - other Disney fans. They get "IT"!
Maybe one day all of us DisBoard - "Married but Disney Single" people should plan a trip!

I think that is a great idea! Maybe there needs to be a meet in Disney for all of us "single parents taking the kids". My husband can be a stick in the mud sometimes with vacations. His parents never took him on any when he was a kid, but my parents took us many times and not just to Disney. My parents even had a room for us at the Polynesian hotel years ago, which I am not willing to spend the money for at this point. I think Disney is such a magical place and makes me forget about all the bills and concerns back home! If you or marathon mommy want to PM me, that would be fine with me. I love meeting new people, especially ones that enjoy Disney! I would love to know the ages of your kids also. :sunny:

santonucci said:
I just came back from a three day backpacking trip in Yosemite, and it was awesome! It was just myself and my oldest boy, and we left the mommy, my daughter, and my infant twins home on the couch... They leave for the beach tomorrow, and I'll be travelling for business (ANYTHING to avoid a beach vacation- TALK ABOUT BORING!) :-)

I loved Disney before my kids were born. We had sort of gotten into a rut with it, but when the kids were born, we found a renewed sense of wonder. Now, we measure them (son- ok for everything, daughter going to make SM and EE this trip!), talk about doing new things, old things... That's what makes it "new" for us, again.

As far as the OP stated, I have had the "again" attitude more than once. I try to explain to people that I don't actually go to WDW for the rides, but the "feeling" that I get. Sure, the kids love the rides, the pools, etc, but we go there to forget our day to day lives- and be immersed in each other. I've actually been asked (many times)- "Are you taking the kids?", which I think is possibly the dumbest question ever.

"Mean" people need time away from their kids.

"Mean" people think they're better than you because the went to Paris (which I can't understand why you'd want to vacation in a place where you couldn't communicate with the people around you...)

"Mean" people complain about the costs without thinking about the value. (assume ~$40/day for tickets for an average 10 hour day. That's $4/hr!)

I'll be making my 16th (or so) trip in 3 weeks, my son's 9th (or so-he's 8), and the twins first. We're also planning to return in Jan/Feb 2007 (again)- regardless of what everyone else thinks!

Steve

P.S. I'm also planning a longer backpack trip through Yosemite next year with my son and my wife will probably take the kids to the beach, again...

LOL, santonucci...At least my DH realized a long, long time ago that when we tried to do the backpack trip from the Valley up some waterfall, had to be there by dark, didn't start early enough, everything I own is on my back,
I am WAAAAYYYY too outta shape for this (me, not him), so I'm just gonna sit down here on this rock and cry thingy..let's just say that was while we were courting...and I never did it (nor was I asked) again...

My days of strenuous, kill yourself or you didn't have a good time-vacations are long gone. Commando WDW touring is my extent of a "rough" vacation.

He is going to Yosemite at the end of August for 2 weeks with his buddies. The boys and I have not had a vacation this year to speak of. Come December (see my ticker) there's gonna be some serious manipulation going on for this trip he had no clue about....(but he knows there is always another one around the corner... :thumbsup2 )

he loves the beach, part of the reason we moved to Savannah, I know the love will never come for WDW, but a little more "false" enthusiasm would be nice, I don't want a boat anchor!! (actually he is fine once we are there...not :yay: happy :yay: to be there, but tolerable...)

I am imagining the OP is probably talking about people not wanting to hear another story about how great WDW, and it hurts her feelings...(I like to talk about Disney, too, that's why I am here!!)

I think of it like this....let's say my coworker Bubba, loves to bass fish...it his primary source of joy. That is all he wants to talk about, how big the last one that got away was, his new big ole' bass boat, gettin' up at 4 a.m. to get out there and git the big uns...blah,blah,blah....I've heard it every day since I worked there....If he tells me one more story about cleaning fish..I think I will scream :scared1:

He loves it, I don't get it.
He wants to talk about it, I don't want to hear about it...

Live and let live..no reason to get hurt feelings over it... :hippie:

I feel the need to share how naive I am...I thought everyone loved Disney I mean who would not love the Mouse...ten years ago when we told people we were going sort of a belated honeymoon everyone we told was very excited for us...last year when we told everyone we were going to Disney with our boys on our first real family vacation everyone was again so excited for us..well when we have told people we are going again this year no so much excitement from alot of people..alot of negative comments about wasting money and time, or too crowded, even about taking my kids out of school...(last year my oldest missed three days this year only 2)...alot of "its one of those things you really only need to do once"..once my foot there are things I wanted to do in the week we went ten years ago that we still didnt have time to do in a week last year that I am sure we wont be able to finish doing in a week this year...I am truly surprised not everyone has the love and respect for Disney like we do..glad I found out about the DIS boards :cheer2:

Some people just don't get it. Don't get the Disney feeling that other people have. My husband loves WDW, but doens't feel the same about it as me. I'm totally crazy and DW is all I talk about and think about! But I really think it has to with this:
I've been going to DW since I was 5. Everytime I go, soemthing new hits my memory and it's such an emotional thing now. I'm so attached to the disney feeling :tink:
If you weren't brought up with it, you may not feel the same about it.

i'm just curious what is so wrong with being negative, people have that right, i's sure everyone is not positive about every single thing, there could be something you're negative about and people may wonder why you're so negative

HappyLawyer said:
i'm just curious what is so wrong with being negative, people have that right, i's sure everyone is not positive about every single thing, there could be something you're negative about and people may wonder why you're so negative

There is already too much negativity in this world. Being negative is so counter-productive. Just go with "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." This way, no one's feelings get hurt and we can have a more positive place to live. I can't imagine anything being more postive than that.

I love Disney yesterday, today, tomorrow and as long as I can :disrocks:

There are some people that "feel the magic" and there are some people that don't and never will. That's okay.

I am lucky enough to find a dh who is as fanatical about it as I am so it really works out for us. Of course, he isn't as obsessed as I am, especially about the planning, which is fine with me.

He and his family used to go at least once a year and several times a year when they lived in FLA for 10 years. But the vacation I planned two years ago was the best he has ever had, he told me. What a compliment!!

I have played there and I have worked there. Even working for the Mouse hasn't dampered my spirits and love of Disney. On those days where you just couldn't take it anymore, I would be dancing in the parade and see a little girl or boy who was just so awestruck, you cannot help but smile.

I love it...I love that the whole family can participate together, I love the excitement in my kid's eyes, and I love that it's fake...that we can all escape the grocery store and cell phones and horrible news for one week. To me, that is a vacation. :love:

DLBDS said:
I haven't been back to WDW since the 70's! I always told my husband that we would go and now that my DD is 9, I've booked and just about paid off our Nov./Dec. trip this year. I can't wait. Neither one of them have a clue what it's like. They only have Busch Gardens to compare it to. BG is nice but it's no WDW by any stretch of the imagination. I think we'll have such a great time that I'm also planning another trip for October 2007. I bought everyone (3 of us) annual passes. I intend to use them too! I can't wait. WDW made a HUGE impression on me as a child. I'm even taking my mom, who's never been either, for a 6 night/7 day visit in February. Just me and her. That trip will be one of those once-in-a- lifetime kinda events. Like I said....I'm gonna get my $$$ worth outa those APs! I've only come across one person who thought WDW wasn't all that. To each his own.

:wave:

jsut a note- hello!
our stopever is NC on the way to our trip, and I am eating a box of kk's for breakfast!
drive to boston for them.......crazy me.....
:rotfl:

Our family - DH, DD (6) and I fell in love with Disney when we went in 2004. We are going again in November :banana: and have invited my parents along. My mom is all for it, but my dad went in 1974 and he still thinks that is all there is. Boy, is he in for a shock! :Pinkbounc
Incidentally, my parentas have been to Universal a few times and he loved that so I think Disney is going to blow him away.

No one else can do magic like Disney!

I have emailed Guest Services so many times regarding bad experiences that they rarely contact me back anymore. Don't get me wrong. WDW is the best entertainment of its kind in the world...period. That's why WDW is the most popular vacation spot in the world. However, I hold Disney to the standard that they have set ($$$$) for this type of entertainment. The level of service is without equal. I have stayed at hotels, motels, resorts, etc. around the world. Nothing compares to Disney service. So when something goes wrong, I think they should know. As a businessman, I feel like there are two types of customers. Good ones tell you when they have a problem. Bad ones just go away. So, if this sounds negative, so be it. We have been passholders for so long I can't remember when. We stay at Disney resorts at least once a month and day trip more often than that. I guess we love Disney as well, but for what we pay for our AP s, food, lodging, etc, if we have a bad time Disney will hear from me.
BTW, when we have a great experience, I let them know about that as well. I also take the time to let them know about individuals who go the extra step to see that we enjoy ourselves.

Richard

I have this conversation about 10 or 12 times while planning a trip with family and friends!

"WHAT??YOU'RE GOING AGAIN????"

Yea, I am!!! I waited all my life to go to WDW and I have such a wonderful time there that I cannot wait to get back!!!

"IT WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE!!!!"

Yea, it will cost a little money, but I save as much as I can on the room and I wait for the FREE DINING.

"AIRLINES ARE SO EXPENSIVE!"

They can be but if you watch you can get good deals.

"THERE ARE OTHER PLACES NOT SO EXPENSIVE AND NOT SO FAR AWAY!"

True, there are but I prefer to spend MY time at Disney!!!!!

Try it....you may like it too!!!!

pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter