Why do Americans say "Craig" funny?

Yup, sweet tooth. I have a big sweet tooth - which is probably really rotten from all the sweets and sugar

Yeah, rhubarb is common enough here. And generally a rhubarb crumble is eaten with a good helping of custard!!

Yep, lollies here. Sweets is what we would sometimes call dessert: "who wants some sweets?"

Some of the older generations call lunch, dinner. But if say that's just a thing from our English heritage?

We call the evening meal dinner or tea.

Some of the older generations call lunch, dinner. But if say that's just a thing from our English heritage?

We call the evening meal dinner or tea.
We call the evening meal dinner but I have encountered places where the mid-day meal on Sunday was called dinner. For example, in college, meal plan was 20 meals: 3 meals per day Monday through Saturday and 2 meals on Sunday - breakfast and dinner - except dinner was actually lunch.

My grandma's last name was Craig, and she (and we) pronounced it with the long a: Crayg.

What I found funny when I visited New Zealand was to hear Kiwis pronounce "eggs" with a long e: eeeeeegz! :teeth: How do you pronounce "eggs" - Jes?

My grandma's last name was Craig, and she (and we) pronounced it with the long a: Crayg.

What I found funny when I visited New Zealand was to hear Kiwis pronounce "eggs" with a long e: eeeeeegz! :teeth: How do you pronounce "eggs" - Jes?

Aussies say eggs the same as Americans. New Zealanders also say six as sex. Silly kiwis

Like bjmortz said, we say it like the yanks.

We also call an appetiser an entree and what Americans call entree is a main
This threw me initially.
Entree sounds like it would mean "enter" in french or something, which makes me think that it makes sense for it to be the first part of the meal...
But that's just me making assumptions! Lol

Hey look my name is Craig too. It's pronounced Crayg. The OP is right about some Americans pronouncing it Creg, they do it on South Park and Malcolm in the Middle for reference.
I can kind of see why if you look at the spelling, maybe they they think it should be spelled Krayg to make that sound, who knows.
I can't complain, iv'e gotten Aoife and Roisin and such wrong before.

The words "boyfriend" and "lover"

During my first year at university, I lived in residence and was on the meal plan. A group of us, young teen undergrads ranging from 16 yrs to 18 yrs, would meet and eat together for dinner. One of our friends, Ms. X, was from England. One night we were waiting in line to be checked in, and were discussing our dates for Friday night and what we had planned. Our English friend was single, still very shy, but suddenly exclaimed loudly "I really must find myself a good lover!" Our jaws dropped. In Canada, boyfriend and lover are not the same thing. Lover means a lot more than hand holding and sharing popcorn at the movies. The young man checking our student cards overheard us, turned bright red and stammered "Why can't you girls just be content to have a nice boyfriend first?" We started to howl with laughter. :D Our English friend then clued in to what we were thinking and was absolutely mortified. I don't know how we managed to carry our food trays to the table. And whenever we really wanted to nettle her or get under her skin, we would ask "X, have you got yourself a a goood lover yet?" It was incredibly funny but probably not so much for her. At that age, mortification is a real thing and you just want the earth to open up below your feet and swallow you whole. The poor thing. English-isms can be a real bear. Especially when you are young and easily embarrassed.

Here's a new one. In Canada we have "Timbits". The centre piece that's cut out of a doughnut. Its cooked, "dressed" with sugar and toppings just like the mama doughnut, and then sold as a dozen or more in little take-a-way boxes. Called "Timbits" because they are sold at the national chain Tim Horton's. In the US, I think they are called doughnut holes? In Australia, NZ and the UK, what do you do with your doughnut holes? Eat them or toss them out?

They're donut holes here too. And we eat them up.

Julie said something referring to goose bumps on this week's show. She called them "chill bumps" I thought that was funny.

There was another one but I've forgotten it.

doughnut holes

Doughnut holes here in the UK :)

yummy. Although a tradition British doughnut is one which hasn't got a hole and is filled with rasberry or strawberry jam.

Ring Doughnuts are what we call the ones with holes in.

Although if there were a pile of different types of doughnuts we'd probably just specify which one we'd want. e.g. one with jam.

If there was a pile of one type of doughnut regardless of type we'd just say doughnut.

This isn't a difference in prononciation or words but what do you think of your respective Epcot Food and Wine festival booths this year?

Are these good representations of your country's cuisine?

Australia
To eat:
–Grilled sweet and spicy bush berry shrimp with pineapple, peppers, onions, and snap peas
–Grilled lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies
–Lamington: Yellow cake dipped in chocolate and shredded coconut

To drink:
–Coopers Brewery Extra Strong Vintage Ale
–Château Tanunda Grand Barossa Dry Riesling
–Bulletin Place Unoaked Chardonnay
–Yangarra Estate Vineyard Shiraz

Canada
To eat:
–Canadian cheddar cheese soup
–Chicken sausage with creamy polenta and Minus 8 onion jam
–“Le Cellier” wild mushroom beef filet mignon with truffle butter sauce

To drink:
–Moosehead® Lager
–Neige Premiere Apple Ice Wine
–Inniskillin Vidal Icewine
–Tawse Vineyard Cabernet Franc

This isn't a difference in prononciation or words but what do you think of your respective Epcot Food and Wine festival booths this year?

Are these good representations of your country's cuisine?

Australia
To eat:
–Grilled sweet and spicy bush berry shrimp with pineapple, peppers, onions, and snap peas
–Grilled lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies
–Lamington: Yellow cake dipped in chocolate and shredded coconut

To drink:
–Coopers Brewery Extra Strong Vintage Ale
–Château Tanunda Grand Barossa Dry Riesling
–Bulletin Place Unoaked Chardonnay
–Yangarra Estate Vineyard Shiraz
We call shrimp "prawns" it's never shrimp.
We call peppers "capsicums" and I've never had it in that combination above.
The lamb sounds amazing and aussie enough!
Laming tons are amazing, but better when there's jan sandwiched in it.
The Barossa does excellent wines of all varieties, but I'm a sweet wine and fortified drinker and the Barossa is excellent for that. So a Riesling from there should be great. I'm more of a moscato fan though.

Although a tradition British doughnut is one which hasn't got a hole and is filled with rasberry or strawberry jam.
We call this a "jelly doughnut" in North America. We also have one filled with cream or custard and called a Boston Cream doughnut. :-) There is also a "ring" doughnut with a simple sugar glaze and a twisted pattern called a cruller. My fav is a maple glazed doughnut. All good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter