Why are the reviews of Bonnet Creek not as good lately?

from WBC. WE have stayed there 5 times and this was our best trip ever. Got our reservation thru an owner on ebay. Arrived at 1pm and our 3 br unit was ready. We got building 6 pool view it was awesome. Everything was in perfect condition and love how building 6 connects to the hotel, good for my morning starbucks habit. Can't wait to go back, I used to be a dvc owner and I cant believe how much better BC is than disney in absolutely everyway except park access. can't wait to go back :thumbsup2

We stayed in a 2 bedroom June 16-22. We didn't love it for a Disney vacation. The resort was great, they had a ground floor room available when we got there at noon. Yes, I saw 3 palmetto bugs. It was on our last day, it had rained everyday all week and we were on the ground floor with lush shrubbery right up against the building, and they were in the trash closet and bathroom. I wasn't surprised and simply told the desk when we checked out.

Our room was great, the girls decided that the younger 2 would sleep on the fold out couch and each of the older girls would get their own bed in the 2nd bedroom. They were happy. The space was great when we came back to the resort. We love not being pestered by service each day. Two downsides- the washer is LOUD- put a load in when you leave. And we heard water draining from upstairs units in the master plumbing. I would definitely stay here again for an Orlando trip that doesn't include Disney.

So why not for Disney? Because its highly inconvienant for US. We love the flexibility of Disney transportation. When we stay on property we usually drive to AK and sometimes DHS, so we're quite familiar with driving to parks. But we also like mid day breaks and due to my husbands back issues he had to leave earlier than us on 2 days. If we were on property he could have just hopped a bus. Instead we had to figure out if we all had to pack it in or what our options were. The first day he couldn't make it he took a cab- $20 plus tip from MK. The next day we prebought the shuttle pass. The $5 was cheaper, but when he did need to leave from Epcot he had to wait longer than for a Disney bus. He may have just missed one or one was late but it made it harder for him. Also when the girls and I stayed until park close at 10,11, it would have been much nicer to jump on a Disney bus. (And we usually stay at fort wilderness, so I'm including a second bus ride when I say it would have been easier for our family)

We stayed at WBC in May for the first time. It was ok, but not our favorite resort that we've stayed in.

We always stay offsite with a rental car and we honestly didn't care for the location. We like to stop at Dunkin' Donuts and Walmart and they weren't very near as WBC is inside the Disney complex or whatever you call it.

We didn't see any bugs, but my sister did have roaches in her unit. We had a broken bed in our unit which we couldn't seem to get fixed so DH and I ended up sleeping in separate beds so that no one had to sleep on the broken side of the king. Not really a problem for us to sleep apart, but really shouldn't have had to KWIM?

We didn't care for the pools either - they were very oddly set up and stuff. I can't describe it and make sense. The slides were never available when we went down either, they closed at 6. Hot tubs were nice though, and there were plenty of them so we weren't crowded.

If we got a really awesome deal we would stay again, but there are so many other nice resorts we want to try that we won't make it a point to stay here again. Reading the threads here about how great it is, we were just expecting too much I guess and were surprised at how "average" it was.

We were at Bonnet Creek last year - May 2012. We rented from vacation strategy and had a beautiful 3 bedroom unit in building 4 with a firework view. We had a wonderful stay with NO problems. ( FYI- the week before we checked in I called and requested the firework view)

We rented a 2 bedroom deluxe twice last year. The first time, we were in a refurbished unit with a lovely view of the lake. The room was quiet and parking was very convenient. It was off season, so the resort wasn't crowded at all. I recommended it to all of my friends. We loved it so much, that we rented again for July last year. It was a totally different experience. The room faced the pool area, which played loud music with a DJ until late in the evenings. It was very crowded, there were trash bags in the hallways. We were in an older tower with furniture that needed to be replaced. The "leather" sofa was peeling in large sections and looked nasty. There was a note in the unit explaining that it was a defect in the sofa, but it had been cleaned. Something went wrong with our magnetic keys twice during our 10 day stay, and I had to go down to the front desk area and wait in line while my family waited in the hallway in front of our room. (NOT fun when coming home from the Waterparks.) Parking in the evenings was difficult at best. We usually ended up on the top level of the parking garage. The garage is very hazardous. There were many times that people driving would speed through the garage. For safety, we ended up dropping off and picking up the kids in front of the tower and one of us would go get the car. Needless to say, we have booked a townhouse at Windsor Hills for our next trip. I am not a picky person. I have four kids, so things don't have to be perfect. I really think it depends on the unit/tower that you get and the time of year that you visit.

Just stayed 10 nights in Tower 5 very last room in hallway. IT was wonderful. After staying in a Disney resort our last 10 trips and having to get 2 rooms, WBC will now be our place to stay! I requested firework view but all we could see was parking lot and typhoon lagoon/DTD. But I wasn't upset. We were never in our room during fireworks. Either in a park or in one of the pools. Our 5 kids loved WBC.

"Why are the reviews of Bonnet Creek not as good lately?"

The second half of the video at the link below may explain why :laundy:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26184891/vp/41755033#41755033

Let me say we stayed at BC last April and will return again in 2014, in short we LOVED BC!
Watched the video.

I thought the biggest scam was the great vacation the producer, crew and talent billed to the network!

I wonder where they are working now?

I leave on Tuesday and I hope I am one of the lucky ones to get a nice refurbished room.

I'm glad to see some honest reviews. I've been reading all the posts on this site about Bonnet Creek and there were way too many that just loved the resort. Very few complained about their rooms. After reading some of the posts on Tripadvisor I really wondered how honest the reviews were on this site.

At least there are some that said that they had a good trip and then another trip the room wasn't that great.

I leave on Tuesday and I hope I am one of the lucky ones to get a nice refurbished room.

I'm glad to see some honest reviews. I've been reading all the posts on this site about Bonnet Creek and there were way too many that just loved the resort. Very few complained about their rooms. After reading some of the posts on Tripadvisor I really wondered how honest the reviews were on this site.

At least there are some that said that they had a good trip and then another trip the room wasn't that great.

I don't think anyone here is lying about their experience or being intentionally dishonest.

I've had bad stays at other Wyndham resorts (New Orleans was particularly bad), but never had a bad one at Bonnet Creek. Maybe there aren't many negative reviews here because it actually is a good place to stay.

I truly hope so. There are so many people on this site that seem to really like BC. I got so hyped about it, then the reviews on tripadvisor became really mixed. The mention of roaches by several people and worn and torn furniture or rooms that really weren't clean.

Those reviews started to make me a little nervous. I'm leaving on Tuesday with an open mind and I am really hoping to get a clean room as long as it isn't on the ground floor because we have a hyper-active 3 1/2 year old who will try to open the patio doors or facing the dumpsters. I am not going there with a particular view in mind because I am a renter and I don't blame BC for giving the best views to people that own.

I'm just looking forward to 2 weeks when the little one is sleeping and I can sit on the balcony at night and just look at the stars with a glass of wine and relax.

Reviews are like opinions, and you know what they same about opinions...

Anyways, I read the most recent reviews and they same to be mostly good. As for the dumpster view, you can get that at a Disney hotel too. I stayed at the WL seveal years ago in a suite and had a dumpster view. And it literally stunk. I paid over $250 a night for that dumpster view (and we never did use the balcony so it was fine). Every hotel is going to have a hotel with a less than desirable view in some units. If you don't like the view, ask for a different unit.

And there's some stuff that people say that just isn't true. One bad review said "They also forced us to attend the high pressure sales pitch at the end of the stay." That I know is completely false. They can pressure you but never force you to go. And someone else rated the hotel badly because "There is a very mixed clientele at this hotel." Lol, what's that supposed to mean?

Do I think BC is perfect? No, not at all. But for the price, location and size, it's pretty darn nice.

I truly hope so. There are so many people on this site that seem to really like BC. I got so hyped about it, then the reviews on tripadvisor became really mixed. The mention of roaches by several people and worn and torn furniture or rooms that really weren't clean.

Those reviews started to make me a little nervous. I'm leaving on Tuesday with an open mind and I am really hoping to get a clean room as long as it isn't on the ground floor because we have a hyper-active 3 1/2 year old who will try to open the patio doors or facing the dumpsters. I am not going there with a particular view in mind because I am a renter and I don't blame BC for giving the best views to people that own.

I'm just looking forward to 2 weeks when the little one is sleeping and I can sit on the balcony at night and just look at the stars with a glass of wine and relax.

One thing I thought I'd also add, which may help you in interpretting the reviews and making your assessment.

Towers 1-3 were completely refurbed last year. These were the oldest buildings, and many of the units in them still had the old tube TV's. During the refurbs they upgraded some of the furnishings, added some granite countertops, and replaced all the TV's to the newer flatscreen LCD's.

Towers 4 and 5's furniture was also aging badly. When these towers were built (I believe Tower 5 was only like 5 years old at the time), the "leather" furniture that had an expected lifespan of closer to 10 years was already starting to look well past it's prime due to the hard-life they were getting in the resort's enviroment. A majority of the units were seeing couches with rips or "peeled" sections on the couches... and it was obvious that the couches needed to be replaced. As a result, over the course of last year [I'd assume it's done by now], the Resort systematically replaced all the couches in these 2 towers with newer cloth surfaced couches as they were able to procure the replacements... with the couches in worst shape replaced first.

Most of the issues you hear of ripped couches have now been replaced. The biggest issue now is that the replacement Couch is mis-matched to the rest of the furniture in the unit. IMHO, This isn't that big a deal when you consider this was basically an emergency large scale replacement that was not part of a planned and budgeted room refurbishment, so the resort did not have the luxury of funding to replace the entire living room set or the lead time to ensure they had enough couches at once to replace all the bad couches at once. [remember that the budget, including refurb and replacement funds, come from the dues paid by the individuals who own timeshare at the resort].

And there's some stuff that people say that just isn't true. One bad review said "They also forced us to attend the high pressure sales pitch at the end of the stay." That I know is completely false. They can pressure you but never force you to go. And someone else rated the hotel badly because "There is a very mixed clientele at this hotel." Lol, what's that supposed to mean?

Not sure..... I know that I've experience both Family types staying there, retiree's, and single couples, as well as the larger group of young adults who are happy to party by the pools.

IOW.... Your typical Central Florida clientele. ;)

Towers 4 and 5's furniture was also aging badly. When these towers were built (I believe Tower 5 was only like 5 years old at the time), the "leather" furniture that had an expected lifespan of closer to 10 years was already starting to look well past it's prime due to the hard-life they were getting in the resort's enviroment. A majority of the units were seeing couches with rips or "peeled" sections on the couches... and it was obvious that the couches needed to be replaced. As a result, over the course of last year [I'd assume it's done by now], the Resort systematically replaced all the couches in these 2 towers with newer cloth surfaced couches as they were able to procure the replacements... with the couches in worst shape replaced first.[

Most of the issues you hear of ripped couches have now been replaced. The biggest issue now is that the replacement Couch is mis-matched to the rest of the furniture in the unit. IMHO, This isn't that big a deal when you consider this was basically an emergency large scale replacement that was not part of a planned and budgeted room refurbishment, so the resort did not have the luxury of funding to replace the entire living room set or the lead time to ensure they had enough couches at once to replace all the bad couches at once. [remember that the budget, including refurb and replacement funds, come from the dues paid by the individuals who own timeshare at the resort].

Didn 't I read somewhere that the couches installed in towers 4 and 5 were not good to begin with? That the couches were cheaply made to begin with?

We stayed in Tower 4 with an Epcot View in May and it was fabulous! We are very picky about the places we stay and this was top notch! The place was very clean, and the furniture and décor was great! We didn't notice anything looking outdated or worn. We plan on going back in Sept '14 and will definitely be staying at WBC again!

Didn 't I read somewhere that the couches installed in towers 4 and 5 were not good to begin with? That the couches were cheaply made to begin with?

I'm not sure i'd say they were cheaply made (at least, not that I ever noticed, including in my first stay in Tower 5 a couple months after it opened).

They were nice couches. The Tan Leather chair in the rooms is identical to the couches that used to be there.

What I would say however is that the couches didn't really stand up well to to the resort environment. They may have been perfectly fine in someone's home, but they are going to deal with a lot more wear, tear, and abuse when used in a timeshare resort environment with a new family in the unit every week. They definitely were not suited for usage in that kind of environment.

You're over-thinking it :)

You'll have a great time. The chances of a bad stay are minimal. If, by some unfortunate miracle, things aren't what they seem, just talk to a manager and get it straightened out as soon as possible.

You're over-thinking it :)

You'll have a great time. The chances of a bad stay are minimal. If, by some unfortunate miracle, things aren't what they seem, just talk to a manager and get it straightened out as soon as possible.

I agree! You are going to love it! When we went they let us look at two different rooms and pick which one we liked best....which was great! I guess it depends on how busy they are if they will allow a guest to do that.

have fun on your trip!!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter