• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

who pays for prom?

Yes sort of. I guess it only started to creep into our area a few years ago.

It just doesn't sound correct. Like saying "I'm going to Super Bowl". Though I guess a better example is saying "I'm going to dance" (verb) which says some time in the future I'm going to partake in the activity of dancing vs "I'm going to the dance" (noun) which means I'm going to a specific event where their will be dancing.

I'll try to find some more sources but the best I can find is Wikipedia and it too says it's a noun and needs an article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prom#Terminology

It's not like I obsess over it, just wondering how this incorrect usage became part of normal speech.
It's crept in here, too, and I'm just starting to get used to it. It's always been common here to "get on line" instead of "get in line." I never thought twice about it, but thanks to the internet, I learned that most people get IN line.

Interesting read here, I felt like I was watching a documentary from the Discovery Channel since I'm from Canada and most of this is new to me.

I'm not sure what a junior prom is, I'm guessing it's like our semi-formal. We have a semi-formal open to everyone half way through the year, and a formal (prom) at the end of the year for the graduating class (and anyone younger that is invited as a date). Usually it's the guys who pay or each buy their own ticket, no rule really about this though really. This also goes for the limo. And not being close to any beaches (Toronto), one person in each group of friends was responsible for booking a hotel room themselves for an after party. Then you'd spend the entire night hopping around other people's after parties until you ran out of steam.
A Junior Prom here is the exact same thing as a Senior Prom everywhere else. It is formal, with tuxes and gowns. The Junior class sponsors it and everyone 9-12 can attend.

It's crept in here, too, and I'm just starting to get used to it. It's always been common here to "get on line" instead of "get in line." I never thought twice about it, but thanks to the internet, I learned that most people get IN line.

I assume by get in line you mean join a queue. Because get online means go to the internet aka web browsing.

I assume by get in line you mean join a queue. Because get online means go to the internet aka web browsing.

Lots of people say they get on line (two words, like PP said) to mean joining a queue.

OP here ....
I started the thread as I were not sure who should pay for the tickets and I felt we should as DS asked the boy, who is not her boyfriend and does not go to the same school, to go with her... I think it is fair that we should pay...after looking into the costs, I decided to pay for the flowers...WoW, it is expensive... I feel bad that the boy has to rent the tux..
Now I have a new question... Do they need a limo? We have minivan and SUV, and I am not sure we can just drive them there ...BTW, when do they have dinner?
the cost is adding up
a. ticket $170
b. dress and alternation $154
c. flowers $70??
d. photos $40 to $50

are there any other cost that I haven't thought of??
They are juniors, and I think they should just go home after the prom :-(

Can they get in with a group and ride together? When is the prom? I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Where are you located?

And, there is no "should." You make the rules for your daughter.

For a junior prom I would drop them off and pick them up (just my opinion). From the cost of your tickets I'd think they are likely having a meal at the prom. When I was in HS, and had a junior prom, it was in the school cafeteria and there was no meal so we went somewhere beforehand. DS's senior prom, last weekend, they had buffet style and I think it was pretty much right away. Cost you haven't thought of....hair getting done, nails, jewelry/accessories, shoes.

the prom will be on first Friday of June, I think we have two weeks... I am thinking to drop them off and pick them up using a minivan, apparently some kids share rides, DD is not a popular girl in school and is trying to get another couple to go with her...the girls (DD and her friend) prefer not to arrive in a minivan....Is it okay to arrive in a minivan?

thanks. nearly forgot about the hair, have talked to the stylist and was told it will take about an hour and cost about $55...school does not end early, hence it will be tight...already bought the shoes.. I didn't realize it adds up fast

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter