Who Needs Self Control At Disney??? - A Slightly Solo Feb 2016 Trip Report COMPLETED 4/24

Really enjoying your review! And I love that red top you're wearing when you went to B&C, so cute!! Looking forward to the rest of your trip report.

You (or your mom) got my favorite meal at Beaches and Cream, the grilled cheese and tomato soup :cloud9: Good for you passing on the ice cream lol. Our first visit there I totally could not, and the only reason I did on our 2nd trip was that damn stomach bug :crazy2:

We'll be at the Beach Club in Nov. and I plan on ice cream from B & C more than once!

Really enjoying your review! And I love that red top you're wearing when you went to B&C, so cute!! Looking forward to the rest of your trip report.
Thank you! I got the top from Kohl's Lauren Conrad's Disney collection, I got a lot of compliments on it and I absolutely love it!

You (or your mom) got my favorite meal at Beaches and Cream, the grilled cheese and tomato soup :cloud9: Good for you passing on the ice cream lol. Our first visit there I totally could not, and the only reason I did on our 2nd trip was that damn stomach bug :crazy2:
I didn't know a grilled cheese could be so good! I will be back for more next time I am at WDW! I was very tempted to get ice cream but I had a CG reservation coming up that I had to save room for, don't worry, I got plenty of dessert later on that night :cool1:

We'll be at the Beach Club in Nov. and I plan on ice cream from B & C more than once!
I hope to stay at the Beach Club someday! When I do, ice cream from B&C will definitely be a daily thing. I am wishing you better luck with your BC stay this November than you had with your BW last November!

Beaches and Cream looks delish! We are trying it for the first time on our summer trip. I know I won't be able to pass on the ice cream though!
I would highly recommend it! I love when a restaurant at Disney is able to have delicious, standard American food for reasonable prices. If my stomach was feeling better and I didn't have another ADR coming up I would have ate ice cream. But then I would have had the tough decision of choosing which ice cream sundae to get!

Just caught up on your report. I'm itching to go solo on a trip but my mom doesn't agree with me going alone even though I'm 24 lol. I'm planning on taking a trip next October with my friend though so I'll get my fix then, just gotta convince her to go to Universal for one day as well lol.

Just caught up on your report. I'm itching to go solo on a trip but my mom doesn't agree with me going alone even though I'm 24 lol. I'm planning on taking a trip next October with my friend though so I'll get my fix then, just gotta convince her to go to Universal for one day as well lol.
LOL at your mom not wanted you to go! Even though this wasn't a complete solo trip I would not hesitate to take a full solo trip, it is so nice being able to go on your own schedule and do whatever your heart desires while at Disney! I also felt completely safe and comfortable the entire time being by myself.
Seeing as I have no self control, I fully support adding a day at Universal!

Day 4 - Part 2: Beach and Yacht Club Exploration

Following our late lunch we walked around the lobbies of Beach and Yacht club. I had almost booked a night at the Yacht Club instead of the Poly when there wasn't any military discount available at the Poly. I kept checking back for the Poly because it is my dream resort and I wasn't sure if it would be warm enough to enjoy SAB. I also was a little hesitant to book a deluxe without seeing it and then end up disliking it. After walking around we both agreed that we would be more than happy to stay at the B&Y Club resorts. Here some pictures we took on our brief stroll.

img_6234.jpg

img_6235.jpg
img_6236.jpg
img_6237.jpg
img_6239.jpg
img_6241.jpg
img_6243.jpg

We wanted to check out the boardwalk but that room ready text was making us anxious to go check out our room.

UP NEXT: A Tour of Our TPV Poly room

Day 4 - Part 3: Poly room tour

We called an Uber to get us from the Yacht club back to the Poly. It cost less than $10 including a tip and took 1/10 of the time as Disney transport.

Once we made it to the Poly we stopped for a quick picture in the lobby and then raced to our room.

img_6244.jpg

We had got the third floor which we had requested. As we walked in I came close to tears looking out at the castle from our balcony.

img_6246.jpg
img_6247.jpg

I was jumping with excitement as my mom opened the door

img_6249.jpg
The first thing we did was run to the balcony to gaze upon the castle.
We took a quick selfie to capture our happiness.

img_6252.jpg
Even with the bungalows we still enjoyed our view.
The castle looks much farther away in pictures than it did in person.

img_6261.jpg
Me in a moment of pure bliss.

And now on to the room. I loved the room. It was very themed without being overdone and felt very comfortable.
img_6266.jpg

img_6267.jpg

Relaxing after a hard morning of working

img_6268.jpg

img_6269.jpg

(continued in next post)

Shortly after walking in we heard a knock on the door and were greeted by a CM with our welcome gift.
img_6274.jpg
Club level guests get a nice little personalized note and a box of chocolate as well as daily turn down chocolates. We sat on the balcony enjoying our box of chocolate and the beautiful weather.
Before we knew it, it was time to grab a monorail to get to our dinner reservation. On the way we stopped to check out the evening appetizer offerings in the club.
img_6278.jpg
img_6279.jpg
img_6280.jpg

The food options were great. They even had hot vegetarian options, which the Grand Californian club lounge did not. The caramel and pineapple was our favorite, not something I would think to put together but so good!

Side note: I know we only had one night at the Poly, which many people would consider way overpriced and not nearly enough time but I was so grateful and excited that my mom and I could share this special experience. Our Disney trips have become such a great bonding experience and something to look forward to. Staying at my dream resort was the icing on top of the cake and the perfect way to end this whirlwind of a trip.

UP NEXT: California Grill and Wishes!

LOL at your mom not wanted you to go! Even though this wasn't a complete solo trip I would not hesitate to take a full solo trip, it is so nice being able to go on your own schedule and do whatever your heart desires while at Disney! I also felt completely safe and comfortable the entire time being by myself.
Seeing as I have no self control, I fully support adding a day at Universal!

I just roll my eyes at her, like I'm 24 I don't need your permission lol. Good news, she automatically agreed to detour to Universal for a day yas.

Dying to go club level for a trip, maybe my honeymoon (gotta find a husband first, I see you already achieved that so I'm jealous.)

I just roll my eyes at her, like I'm 24 I don't need your permission lol. Good news, she automatically agreed to detour to Universal for a day yas.

Dying to go club level for a trip, maybe my honeymoon (gotta find a husband first, I see you already achieved that so I'm jealous.)
Congrats on getting a Universal detour added!

I am still not sure CL is worth how much they charge for it but it definitely makes you feel special!

Love your resort pictures!

What a view from your Poly room! The room looks so nice, and what a cute welcome gift they give you!

It's so nice that you got to enjoy the experience of staying at a dream resort with your mom :)

Love your resort pictures!

What a view from your Poly room! The room looks so nice, and what a cute welcome gift they give you!

It's so nice that you got to enjoy the experience of staying at a dream resort with your mom :)

Thank you! The chocolate was all really good too. I forgot to get a picture of the note they also sent but it was super cute and welcomed us to the Poly Ohana. It was a perfect night at the Poly :love:

Day 4 - Part 4 : California Grill

A short monorail ride later and we were at the Contemporary.

img_6281.jpg

I had read very mixed reviews on CG but decided to make the reservation anyways. We made it down to the second floor to check in at the podium for California Grill and were immediately taken up to the top floor in our own private elevator.

img_6284.jpg
img_6285.jpg

We got a great table close to the kitchen were we could see all of the delicious food coming out. We originally were just going to split an entrée but seeing all of the delicious smelling food we ended up with a bit more than that.

img_6289.jpg

img_6287.jpg

img_6286.jpg

We started with the free bread and ordered some drinks The bread rolls weren't anything special but they weren't bad. I wasn't feeling any wine after being sick the night before so I got the Rekorderlig Strawberry-Lime cider which was very nice and refreshing. My mom got the sake martini. I am not a huge sake fan but the martini did not have an overwhelming sake taste so I enjoyed it.

img_6291.jpg

img_6292.jpg

We moved onto appetizers. I ordered the goat cheese ravioli. I had no idea ravioli could be so melt in your mouth good but it was. My mom got a flatbread that she wasn’t a fan of but our awesome waiter took it off the check when he noticed my mom had hardly touched it. I believe she thought it was strangely seasoned but since it had meat on it I didn't try any.

img_6294.jpg
img_6295.jpg
(Continued in next post)

I knew coming into the meal that I wanted to try the vegetarian unplugged. This is an off menu item where four chefs make different mini entrees based on whatever they happen to have available. After placing the order we went outside to one of the observation areas.
img_6297.jpg
I love the golden sun coming down and making everything glow.

img_6299.jpg
img_6300.jpg
We walked back inside and shortly after that our entree arrived. It was fun to try some more adventurous food that did not disappoint.
img_6304.jpg
This was way more than a glorified salad, despite all of the greens it was filled with very different tastes and textures.
After spending an hour watching all of the desserts sitting out waiting to be sent to a table, we knew we had to make room for dessert. Our waiter recommended the butterscotch creme brulee and a strawberry mouse shortcake dessert. Both were perfection and we managed to eat all of it. Don't judge.

img_6319.jpg
img_6321.jpg

Desserts make us happy!
Following dessert we went outside one more time to have a look at the MK side all lit up.
img_6316.jpg
img_6305.jpg

img_6313.jpg
I had read some reviews that CG was overpriced and I can see how you could spend a ton of money if you ordered meat entrees and multiple glasses of wine but we got two alcoholic drinks, an appetizer, an entrée, and two desserts and excellent service for about $100. For the quality of the food, the excellent wait staff, and being on Disney’s overpriced property we were very happy with our meal and will definitely be back next time. I hope our next CG meal is as good as this one was!

Up Next: Wishes from our balcony

Day 4 - Part 5: Wishes!

After our amazing dinner we got on the monorail to head back to the Poly. We got back to our room with about 30 minutes before Celebrate the Magic started. Somehow we still had room to try the club lounge desserts, don’t ask me how because I have no idea. It probably has to do with losing all of my food from the day before when I got sick from dinner. The dessert selection was a little disappointing. The chocolate mousse and the key lime tart where ok but they were pretty much the exact same dessert I had gotten at 1900 Park Fare and were nothing special. The chocolate brownie/cake was the same that can be found in plenty of quick service places around WDW. Maybe I was holding too high of standards after devouring the CG desserts but I wish the club would serve Ohana bread pudding or something with more of a Polynesian feel to it.

img_6333.jpg
img_6332.jpg

I may have also gotten some POG juice, because how could you not

We took our desserts back to our balcony to watch CtM and Wishes. Let me just say that I think watching Wishes from your balcony, in your pajamas, with your desserts, and the music piped in is pretty much perfection. Life at Disney does not get much better than that. No crowds to deal with, no long bus ride to endore post fireworks, no dad in front of you putting his kid on his shoulder so you can’t see anything. This was a magical moment that looking back on it makes me smile. It is expensive but I do feel like it should be on everyone’s Disney bucket list. We also saw the Electrical Water Pageant pass by during Wishes which was really cool. This was my first time getting to see the whole thing.

img_6352.jpg

After Wishes was over I crawled into bed and was out. Side note- The sheets at the Poly were so soft, not like the over starched stiff sheets at All Star Sports and the Rosen Centre. Maybe this is just one of my weird obsessions but the sheets smelled and felt amazing.

Up Next: Ohana breakfast take two

I'm glad you ended up enjoying your meal at GC! The strawberry shortcake dessert looks amazing! And what a great view you get. The pictures you got when the sun went down are stunning!

Watching Wishes from the privacy of your own balcony, in comfy clothes with some dessert nonetheless, sounds so perfect!!

Just started reading, but all caught up! What a great few days! And a balcony show of Wishes sounds super magical! :)

I'm glad you ended up enjoying your meal at GC! The strawberry shortcake dessert looks amazing! And what a great view you get. The pictures you got when the sun went down are stunning!

Watching Wishes from the privacy of your own balcony, in comfy clothes with some dessert nonetheless, sounds so perfect!!
I have dreams of that Strawberry shortcake, it was so good! :love:
Wishes from a private balcony is pretty much my idea of perfection!

Just started reading, but all caught up! What a great few days! And a balcony show of Wishes sounds super magical! :)
Welcome aboard! It was a fantastic trip and the balcony show of Wishes topped it all off!

Loving your trip report! I love seeing what my fellow vegetarians enjoy (and don't enjoy!) in WDW!
Thanks for following long! Vegetarians unite! :cheer2: I love how many vegetarian options Disney has, I wish there were even more food reviews out there for the veggie options so I hope my opinions help others in making their restaurant choices

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter