• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who is planning on being in Disneyland 7/17/2015?

For the 50th, they handed out golden ears to everyone when you entered and something else I have stashed away somewhere and can't remember, the ears have the date embroidered on the back and I remember a TDA friend telling me they only embroider the date on the ears they passed out, they wouldn't embroider it on request.

We entered after 4pm on the 50th Anniversary and still received the golden ears. They also gave out a replica of the disneyland map from 1955 and cupcakes! Lots of cupcakes. They offered us boxes of cupcakes to take with us because they had ordered too many or received too many. We were offered cupcakes for 2 days after the actual anniversary.

We entered after 4pm on the 50th Anniversary and still received the golden ears. They also gave out a replica of the disneyland map from 1955 and cupcakes! Lots of cupcakes. They offered us boxes of cupcakes to take with us because they had ordered too many or received too many. We were offered cupcakes for 2 days after the actual anniversary.
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully the do something similar so everyone gets to be part of the celebration.

Anyone else staying at GC?

We will be at VGC from 16th-20th. Been booked from the first day available at 11month mark, last August. We have a group of 8 and plan on doing "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour on the 17th and not sure how to get the best benefit of the tour to get through lines and to places and events on that day. I had originally thought to have the afternoon tour when the park would be the most crowded but then the tour would potentially be underway during some opening ceremonies. Any thoughts on when (or if) we should schedule to tour & meal?

We will be at VGC from 16th-20th. Been booked from the first day available at 11month mark, last August. We have a group of 8 and plan on doing "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour on the 17th and not sure how to get the best benefit of the tour to get through lines and to places and events on that day. I had originally thought to have the afternoon tour when the park would be the most crowded but then the tour would potentially be underway during some opening ceremonies. Any thoughts on when (or if) we should schedule to tour & meal?

They won't be offering "Walk in Walts Footsteps" tour on the 17th, they just got an email this week about it, so far that's the only one they've officialy canceled that day, but the rest in DLP will probably be canceled as well (I am a former CM and have a couple friends who still work in the parks and for TDA).

I'm sorry, re-reading that above I sounded kind of snotty, I just wanted to let you know where I got that information!

I'm sorry, re-reading that above I sounded kind of snotty, I just wanted to let you know where I got that information!
I didn't take it that way. Thanks for the information. That does force some changes into my plans. But, nothing that can't be dealt with.

Our anniversary is July 17th as well (just a happy coincidence). We'll be in DCA the evening of the 16th and then spend our anniversary in DL on the 17th. Staying at GCH for the first time. Dinner rez at Blue Bayou. Leaving the kiddos with friends.

They won't be offering "Walk in Walts Footsteps" tour on the 17th, they just got an email this week about it, so far that's the only one they've officialy canceled that day, but the rest in DLP will probably be canceled as well (I am a former CM and have a couple friends who still work in the parks and for TDA).

Oh bummer! I was totally planning on doing that!!

I signed up for the d23 60th Anniverary get-together with Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter on a whim and actually got in, so I asked my mom jokingly if she wanted to go and she surprised me!

So, it's looking more and more like I'll be coming on the 16th-20th!

I'm not sure if anyone will have the answer, but...

Does anyone know (or would anyone be willing to take a guess at) how long we might have to stake out a spot on Main Street for the first PtN and fireworks? I've been reading that about 5pm is the time, but I'm wondering if it'll be different on the actual anniversary.

I'm not sure if anyone will have the answer, but...

Does anyone know (or would anyone be willing to take a guess at) how long we might have to stake out a spot on Main Street for the first PtN and fireworks? I've been reading that about 5pm is the time, but I'm wondering if it'll be different on the actual anniversary.
I read stuff about the 24 hour event and at that time they were saying people were staking out spots for soundsational and just staying there for paint the night and fireworks. Probably lots of people will have already seen both by the time the 60th is here but with the crowds you never know if it will be a simular situation.

Hmmm. I will be there 7/16-7/18 and wasn't going to bother with dining reservations........maybe I should re-think that? Especially on the 17th? I was there for the 50th and after the morning festivities were over, the park was dead. So I was hoping for the same this year. I will have to ask my friend who is coming with me what she thinks. ;)

Hmmm. I will be there 7/16-7/18 and wasn't going to bother with dining reservations........maybe I should re-think that? Especially on the 17th? I was there for the 50th and after the morning festivities were over, the park was dead. So I was hoping for the same this year. I will have to ask my friend who is coming with me what she thinks. ;)
I think it's impossible to predict. I made a lunch ADR just in case and thought I would wing supper.

I think it's impossible to predict. I made a lunch ADR just in case and thought I would wing supper.

We are doing the same thing - made a lunch reservation so that we will have a place to sit down and unwind. Not sure how busy the parks will be and also don't know if there will be any special speeches/activities. Trying to keep the day 'plans free', just going to enjoy the atmosphere and go with the flow.

We're planning on a late breakfast at RBT and an early dinner at Carnation Cafe. I normally wouldn't make an ADR and go with the flow, but I'd rather have a guaranteed spot to sit down since the crowds, activities and everything are all a wild card at this point.

If you know you want at least one sit down meal during the day, I would make a reservation just to be safe. Based on how things went over Memorial Day weekend and Spring Break, a lot of the TS location were not taking walk-ups at prime dining times. On the Saturday after the 24-hour day, Carnation Cafe was not taking dinner time walk-ups. During Spring Break, the situation was similar at Carnation and Cafe Orleans CMS were telling guests that they were fully booked until close to closing, so to come back then and see if they would accept walk-ups at that point. My guess is that whether or not it's the anniversary day, the summer season tends to be fairly busy these days, so I wouldn't count on being able to walk-up to a TS on a Friday (or any weekend day) and get a table without a really long wait (someone on another thread mentioned being able to walk-up to Carnation the other day, but the wait was an hour).

If you know you want at least one sit down meal during the day, I would make a reservation just to be safe. Based on how things went over Memorial Day weekend and Spring Break, a lot of the TS location were not taking walk-ups at prime dining times. On the Saturday after the 24-hour day, Carnation Cafe was not taking dinner time walk-ups. During Spring Break, the situation was similar at Carnation and Cafe Orleans CMS were telling guests that they were fully booked until close to closing, so to come back then and see if they would accept walk-ups at that point. My guess is that whether or not it's the anniversary day, the summer season tends to be fairly busy these days, so I wouldn't count on being able to walk-up to a TS on a Friday (or any weekend day) and get a table without a really long wait (someone on another thread mentioned being able to walk-up to Carnation the other day, but the wait was an hour).

We don't usually make any TS reservations since we prefer QS. But we haven't been to DL during the summer season for many years now and with the 60th, we are kind of expecting DL to be fairly crowded, so we have made a reservation for each day of our stay. Nice to know that we will have a place to sit down and not fight the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter