White tents/cabanas at Magic Kingdom?

The concept that Disney is 'money grabbing' is kind of funny to me. Isn't the whole place a money grab?
Heck, at least with Vegas, you have chance to get some of your money back.
This isn't a required fee.

A very slim chance.

I actually think Disney is going after those looking to spend their vacation dollar elsewhere. A lot of families are booking both Disney and Universal and splitting their time between the two, but may stay exclusively on the property of one or the other or choose to change accommodations. I think if they can offer more "private" experiences it may keep that family in the park and not over at Universal.

A better way. Start putting quality back into the parks.

Here's a mind-boggling thought, many (if not most) of the decision makers in parks management and above them on the board are fairly wealthy folks. Which makes it all the more surprising that Disney keeps whiffing on its attempts to woo "the elite."

Many just feel this is disney going after the elite.

Sent the pic and explained what these are to my SIL, she practically cried knowing she can do this for our special needs nephew (and for her and our BIL) so they and the whole family can enjoy a whole day there.

It's not "just" targeted for the elite.

20161121_134915.jpg

Sent the pic and explained what these are to my SIL, she practically cried knowing she can do this for our special needs nephew (and for her and our BIL) so they and the whole family can enjoy a whole day there.

It's not "just" targeted for the elite.

View attachment 207565
I didn't say it was. I said many feel it is.

Um I did, and you even quoted that above.

I said many feel it is disney going after the elite. I didn't say that's how I felt myself even though I kind of do feel that way.

I know you feel that way, otherwise you would have said the exact opposite.

You would have said many feel Disney is trying to offer solutions to requests they are receiving, or simply many do not feel Disney is just going after the elite.

At least you admitted it, so really a mute point I guess.

Either way my nephew and his family are far from elite but are hoping it's available his next trip.

Just a quick note about "elite" and whatnot...if you make over $34,000/tear you are in the top 1% world-wide. The US has more than 50% of the world's "elite". Let's be frank here, most Americans have it better than everywhere else in the world, it's just the not-so-glaring differences between those who have money to spare and those living near the $34,000 line is so different as to cause angst. And yes, many special needs families will take advantage of this, but the reality is, if you're able to pull out $650 on top of park-tickets, hotel, food, and travel, you probably are doing okay for yourself and your family...or are just one of the last remaining people in this country that actually saves their money and waits until they can afford something.

Considering this is a test I'm sure show will improve over time if it works.

Being a test doesn't excuse the appearance. If I am on a once in a lifetime trip then it might has well be permanent since this is the only memory of Tomorrowland I will ever have. This is the company that takes care to put up themed tarps when they are doing construction to help maintain the themeing even though it is also temporary.

Just a quick note about "elite" and whatnot...if you make over $34,000/tear you are in the top 1% world-wide. The US has more than 50% of the world's "elite". Let's be frank here, most Americans have it better than everywhere else in the world, it's just the not-so-glaring differences between those who have money to spare and those living near the $34,000 line is so different as to cause angst. And yes, many special needs families will take advantage of this, but the reality is, if you're able to pull out $650 on top of park-tickets, hotel, food, and travel, you probably are doing okay for yourself and your family...or are just one of the last remaining people in this country that actually saves their money and waits until they can afford something.

Yep true.

Just keeping in mind many like my nephew work and really have far fewer desires to spend money throughout the year compared with most WDW guests. That certainly can leave room to improve the one thing some of them like to do, a week in WDW.

Especially factoring shortened life expectancy as well.

Being a test doesn't excuse the appearance. If I am on a once in a lifetime trip then it might has well be permanent since this is the only memory of Tomorrowland I will ever have. This is the company that takes care to put up themed tarps when they are doing construction to help maintain the themeing even though it is also temporary.

Little dramatic here. I would think most people's "Only" memory of Tomorrowland would lie more along the lines of Space Mountain, People Mover, etc. I doubt a once in a lifetime visitor would fixate over a couple of tents. It would be the same as fixating over the trash cans or picnic tables. Perspective is key.

So couple of things.

On the idea of them being for the elite. Its not that the people who it will be useful for are necessarily the elite, its that the people buying them would be. I mean, you are talking about people that have an extra $700 so that they can spend a few hours in a tent. That said, i will once again state i see no reason to begrudge that at all. If you have value in it for your family and the price makes sense for you, use it. I hope for your sakes they add a bit better amentities with it. Even if you consider people who can afford it elite, who cares?

As for the look of them, i havent seen a map of where they are, but they look to be a good deal out of the way from photos so i dont see any issue with them hurting a vacation.

Final thought on it not being what walt would want, when is the last time something was done to try to keep his vision alive? It feels like such an overused complaint at this point.

Fascinating discussion.

I read on another site (the infamous rumors section of the wdwmagic boards) that this is a test to see how 'popular' they might be. If these prove to be successful - and considering that they are indeed only white, un-themed canvas tents off to the side in TL - that a few more permanent structures that would be way more themed would make their way into the upcoming Star Wars Land in DHS. In that land and being more themed to fit that location, I could see these being ludicrously popular despite how expensive they are.

And for the record, since Golden Oak and the Four Seasons have been allowed on property, the 'elite' as people love to call them are on site nearby and are ready to spend copious amounts of money. My wife and some friends of ours decided to spend one night at the Four Seasons on our last trip there in September of this year. Let me tell you, people that think the Grand Floridian is posh simply have no idea until they step into the Four Seasons. There are people within spitting distance of the MK now that would totally spend that kind of money on an in-park cabana.

Personally, I don't have any issues with it. If people are fortunate enough to have that much money I say spend it. When you have that type of income or family inheritance (or whatever the case may be), $700 for a cabana is nothing. And they will never make enough of them so that they are affordable for everyone. I don't understand that argument either. To me, that is like saying exotic cars and 650,000 square foot houses should be made affordable so that everyone can have them. IF it is just a few that are off to the side in TL, I say big deal. Now, if they put 20 in the middle of the Hub, THAT is another story.

Here is another thought. Down MSUSA there is what appears to be a 2nd floor to each building. What if it was possible to actually make rooms there above the stores. They would be behind highly themed facades and completely unobtrusive for the most part. Would that bother people as much?

I think that what bothers a lot of folks is that Disney has the audacity to think of yet another way to ask for an exorbitant amount of money. And for the record, I would never pay that kind of money for a cabana. Now, if we went with 4 other couples and split the price, then it wouldn't be as bad financially. Also, I have heard that you don't get one cabana under your name for the entire day. I heard it was that you have purchased the right to a cabana on a given day. Meaning, you could literally end up being in more than one cabana if the group leaves to go on rides or eat in a restaurant and then comes back to relax. I will be interested to see the outcome of this.

Also, I have heard that you don't get one cabana under your name for the entire day. I heard it was that you have purchased the right to a cabana on a given day. Meaning, you could literally end up being in more than one cabana if the group leaves to go on rides or eat in a restaurant and then comes back to relax. I
That is a little weird, given that one of the perks of the cabana was a locked storage space in the tent to keep stuff as you come and go.

I believe these will be sold out every single day. People want their own space for many different reasons and are willing to pay for it. If there truly would be a good view for parades and fireworks, I would consider splurging one. DH and I loathe the crush of people during them. Having a place to sit for both without having to worry about people shoving in front of us at the last minute would be ideal.

Again, truly believe they will be sold out and very difficult to reaerve.

I have to think this rollout was strategic in that this time of year probably won't need ac. If they go permanent, they will have to put that in. I still think even if you could use these they are horribly overpriced, but we will see how they sell. I'm pretty happy about the placement as it seems they are really out of the way. Will be curious to hear some more first hand accounts on the look of the tents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter