Which Rides to avoid...

Naughty Nurse

Mouseketeer
A sensitive topic...I am trying to avoid the embarrassment of finally getting to the end of a line to ride a ride and then find out I am too large to fit in the ride restraints/belts/overhead bars...is there any rides that should be avoided if weight is an issue (eg 210-220 pounds)...I had this happen during a trip recently to another theme park, and really wanting to avoid this embarrassment during my Dec trip

Almost all the attractions at WDW are Pooh-sized-friendly. I'm about a size 24 on the bottom and I fit into everything easily except for Sum of All Thrills, which requires some wriggling around to get my backside far enough into the molded seat. Edit: Oh, and 7DMT squeezes my thighs really uncomfortably, but people bigger than me say they can ride it comfortably, so I think that's a your-mileage-may-vary situation.

Some of the theater seats are a bit narrow as well but those are easily circumvented by sitting on the edge of the seat and sliding back, rather than sitting straight down. Also, a tip for anything with a standard seatbelt: Pull the belt all the way out before sitting down.

Almost all the attractions at WDW are Pooh-sized-friendly. I'm about a size 24 on the bottom and I fit into everything easily except for Sum of All Thrills, which requires some wriggling around to get my backside far enough into the molded seat. Edit: Oh, and 7DMT squeezes my thighs really uncomfortably, but people bigger than me say they can ride it comfortably, so I think that's a your-mileage-may-vary situation.

Some of the theater seats are a bit narrow as well but those are easily circumvented by sitting on the edge of the seat and sliding back, rather than sitting straight down. Also, a tip for anything with a standard seatbelt: Pull the belt all the way out before sitting down.

Love it...the "Pooh-sized friendly" term...thanks so much for your advice...much appreciated

If you have access to the internet I would check out Youtube video: "Too fat to ride disney attractions?" by the "With the Donohos". It's a 15 minute video and these ladies are hilarious and they are also much more "pooh-sized" (to use the phrase from the other commentor and what the ladies use as well) than you described. However, I found that the details they go into and the fact that you are not even close to their size should help alleviate your concerns. Just keep in mind because they are not your size what rides they have issues with you will likely not. Just a thought :)

If you have access to the internet I would check out Youtube video: "Too fat to ride disney attractions?" by the "With the Donohos". It's a 15 minute video and these ladies are hilarious and they are also much more "pooh-sized" (to use the phrase from the other commentor and what the ladies use as well) than you described. However, I found that the details they go into and the fact that you are not even close to their size should help alleviate your concerns. Just keep in mind because they are not your size what rides they have issues with you will likely not. Just a thought :)

Watched the video...really has helped eased my trepidation about some of the rides...thanks for the suggesting the video

There were several rides that had an example of the ride vehicle out in front of the queue. I know Sum of All Thrills was one. Everest might have been one? I think if many people had an issue with the size of the ride vehicles Disney put it out front.

I haven't had any problems at Disney during our past trips (though I haven't gone on the thrill rides) but I have to say that the new Harry Potter ride, Gringotts Bank, was pretty uncomfortable for a short fat lady :)

I traveled with a friend who is a large fellow recently. He is 300+ and the only thing he absolutely couldn't do was 7DMT. Space Mountain was quite uncomfortable for him as well. Another friend of mine is not quite as big and he fit on everything Disney (not Universal though). I do keep hoping that fitting on rides might motivate them to lose some weight (it seems to be working for one of them, not the other).

Space mountain was uncomfortable for me, and I'm (finally) under 200lbs.... I could get in there, but it was definitely tight.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this anxiety, I know how bad it is. I had a bad experience at Universal...at a size 18, couldn't get onto the Rip Ride Rocket, or whatever it's called. I was mortified! I didn't want to go to theme parks anymore. I haven't been back to universal (never been to IoA) and I really want to see the Harry Potter world. Disney is a whole different story. Never had an issue, never felt embarrassed. You will be fine! Even the rides that some have slight issues on, you will still be able to ride. Please don't stress!! You will have an amazing time!

I agree with the overall suggestions made here, but a few additional thoughts.

There are multiple guides out there that address this subject in regards to Orlando's theme parks. A good guide with specific descriptions of each attraction might be very helpful.

Also, in some cases, sitting in a certain seat might help. Space Mtn comes to mind. The rockets are really two-three seat carts linked together. The #1 and #4 seats are different from the #2, 3, 5, and 6 seats. The seats become tight for almost everyone that tries to cram a large backpack under the restraint bar- just in the way the restraint are designed.

Last, my sympathies are with you, but also try to keep in mind folks exit rides (last minute) for many reasons. One trip, I was waiting on a very important phone call. Did it happen during the 20+ minutes we were in line? No! Of course my phone rang just as we were getting on the (LOUD) attraction...I had to completely exit the area to take the call! Last summer, a guy didn't exit fast enough: his vomit splashed up all over my leg!

For the most part, everyone at WDW is focused on their own enjoyment. They are usually only vaguely aware of what other folks are doing. If you did have to exit a ride, they aren't going to care. Overwhelmingly, WDW is a fun spirited place.

Have a great trip!

Second everyone on here... Most of them I was comfortable in... Space Mt was a little uncomfortable for me... but I think that may have been more on the legs than the weight... im 5'9 and a little over the weight you listed.. and did fine though. The friend I met up with also agreed Space was a little rough to get in to an he isnt big at all... feel like its just the taller you are the harder to get in and out of maybe?

Thanks so much everyone for your comments...definitely have made me feel less anxious about the possibility of embarrassment...I have started reading the Everything Pooh sized thread which has been very interesting...thanks for the link dbenlee!

Most of them I was comfortable in... Space Mt was a little uncomfortable for me... but I think that may have been more on the legs than the weight... im 5'9 and a little over the weight you listed..

The first seat has less leg room and the other 2 seats you can put your feet under the seat in front of you and it makes a huge difference. i'm 6'4". I'm really close to being too tall for 7DMT though because the restraint goes over your knees. rock n roller coaster I'm also pushing it but perfectly safe with how the overhead restraint comes down over my shoulders.

Universal Orlando and Six Flags (pick a state) are notorious for ignoring Pooh-sized riders. Disney is the total opposite. OP, the advice you're getting in this thread and other threads here and in the DLR side of the boards that you can search for is on target. With very few exceptions, you shouldn't and may not have any trouble at all riding whatever you want in all six domestic Disney parks on both coasts. My partner getting really badly body-shamed by a ride operator at our local Six Flags park launched us into a series of WDW and DLR trips, and we've never had a problem at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter