• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Rides to avoid...

Another vote of confidence here! Absolutely love the tips and descriptions on WDW At Large reports linked above (the all ears.net site). And the DIS pooh-size thread. I've had troubles at a number of six flags rides, so I know of your embarrassment concerns! At that park, my too-generous chest kept me from some rides with overhead bars. My too-generous hips made some rides very uncomfortable if not impossible. At Disney, the only things I don't ride are Mission Space, Soarin' and Star Tours (all due to motion sickness, not size) but I do literally every other ride and I am just fine, with very few comfort issues and definitely none are impossible. You are smaller than I am, so I feel confident telling you not to worry. Now, how graceful I am getting in and out is another story entirely, but that's all about my clumsiness, not size! :goodvibes

I'm 6-3, 350 and 7DMT was rideable but unpleasant. Have done SM and BTM without issue.

Don't bother with Universal. I think they get their sizing guidelines from Vogue or Victoria's Secret.

Yep. Even the "large" seats are not that big.

My son.is.5'8" and over 350.He rode it all.including 7dmt(it was tight,but he did it)they did have to push down on the doombuggy to get it to latch..but he did that to...didn't ride things like teacups or the dumbo type rides.but he can do all the coasters

The first seat has less leg room and the other 2 seats you can put your feet under the seat in front of you and it makes a huge difference. i'm 6'4". I'm really close to being too tall for 7DMT though because the restraint goes over your knees. rock n roller coaster I'm also pushing it but perfectly safe with how the overhead restraint comes down over my shoulders.

Ahh this is really great to know! Thank you! I was in the first seat in the second car and that could definitely explain why it felt like it was crowded!

I have gone to Disney World over 60 times and while I am not Pooh sized, I have seen every imaginable body shape in the queues al around me. I'll tell you about a couple of times I have seen Disney embarrass a guest and told them they couldn't ride because of their weight. Wait, no, I can't tell that because it has never happened. OP and every other pooh size (or what you consider pooh size), Disney World has managed to make 99.9% of their attractions available to people of all shapes.

Not that I think the OP would have a problem because I think she will have no issues at WDW at all, I've been meaning to talk about my experience on some rides to give a head's up to future guests or ease concerns because I know what that anxiety is like. So. I'll just put it here! It might get long so...sorry! lol! Can't do anything in moderation it seems!

I'm 5'3 1/2" (gotta get that half-inch in). I weigh @310 and I carry it around my middle, upper thighs and backside. I don't mind saying it cause it's kinda obvious anyway that I'm carrying around a lil extra fluff!

Here's what I've ridden and how it went:
MK - Been on every ride and seen every show except Dumbo, Magic Carpets, Barnstormer, and Astro Orbiter.
Only SDMT was an uncomfortable squeeze to get in. The harnesses went down fine though. Probably was a little too close for comfort for the man that they put me in with. :crowded: Next time I'm gonna tell them I'll wait for the next car so I can sit by myself.
On The Speedway, which I only bothered with because my adorable nephew whom I adore wanted to ride with Aunt Jenni, I was glad I didn't have to drive. I'm not sure I would have fit behind the wheel. But I was just fine in the passenger seat. I was only bothered by the noxious fumes and constant jarring of the car off the as it hit the bumper underneath. :crazy2:
Stitch's harness was absolutely fine - I just didn't appreciate the annoyance of having an utterly unnecessary harness confining me in an already claustrophobic environment. And the fake smoke! Vile! Couldn't breathe!:scared: :faint:
Where I experienced more trouble was the old fashioned turn-styles for many of the rides. I just got over myself and started asking cast members to let me slip through the handicap gates. They don't even blink an eye, the really good ones anticipate the need and have it done almost before I open my mouth. I just do it politely and casually and it's done and over with without calling any attention to what just happened. Easy-peezey
MK's theater shows that have individual seats are a bit of a squeeze too for the wide er...bottomed? But sitting on the edge and sliding in absolutely works. It's no different than most movie theaters.

Epcot - I haven't done as many rides here as the other parks. Ain't gonna do Mission Space, no way (or weigh heh heh) no how!
I have done - Spaceship Earth, Soarin, The Seas with Nemo, and Journey into Imagination. Now, on SE and Journey the only trouble for us shorties (with extra padding around the middle) is actually getting in the vehicle! We were surprised to find that out. If we were taller, the fluff would pass right over, but my sister actually had bruises on her belly from squeezing into Journey. :eek: She didn't enjoy the ride, worrying the whole time about being able to slide back out! We just laugh and laugh now, but then it was a bit concerning!
On Soarin, we fit fine in the seat, and did the seat belt pull trick, but again our height was the trouble. Once you've got the seat belt pulled out and then you sit down, you have to reach up underneath to latch it...which requires lifting your butt up...which requires pressing your feet down on the floor...which requires reaching the floor with your feet!! So that was tricky. But we squirmed around and asked family members for help (and some complete strangers which were happy to get in there are help too):grouphug:. Everything was fine in the end and the ride was SO worth the trouble! Loved it!:lovestruc

AK - Have not seen Flights of Wonder or Nemo, haven't ridden Primeval Whirl (hurl) or TriceraTop Spin. That's right, spinning is not my friend.:sick:
I rode EE with no trouble. Great ride! My much smaller other sister (not the one beaten up by Figment) rode with me and we fit fine.
And on Kali, I sat with my tiny nephew. I don't think I could share the two-seater with another adult, but just about any aged kid would probably fit beside me. Again, seat belt fully extended and sit. Ask a nephew, (or stranger) to help engage the lock if you have trouble, it's cool, really. ;)
Dinosaur - just a word of caution - I liked the ride, I really, really did. But the "arm rests?" were digging into me. This is a very jarring ride! I had very bruised and sore thighs the next day. True Story. I'll wait until drop a few dozen pounds to ride again.

HS - I have not ridden RnR, just haven't had time yet - but I will. From what I understand there isn't any worries anyway. And I have not seen a couple of shows: LMA, Mermaid, Indiana Jones. I've done everything else.
Movie Ride - perfect
Star Tours - extend and sit (have stranger pick up 3D glasses that fell in floor and can't be retrieved unless you get out of your seat belt, stand up, press your butt on someone's head as you bend down to get the glasses - strangers seem glad to help avoid that:confused3) I was in the front row first time I rode and then the back the next time - my feet dangled in the back row - are the seats higher in the back or am I shrinking?
TT - Extend and sit worked beautifully here. My sis and I asked for an empty seat in between us. We waited for the next elevator and the CM put us on the little short seat in the front. Perfect! The CM's are so cool.
DisJr - didn't enjoy sitting on the floor for so long, but a cute niece was sitting in my lap, that makes anything bearable. (Even Country Bears - which I now adore, because she loved them so much)
TSMM - Again, bit of a squeeze through the door, but one thing I've learned in my life time - fat squishes - so no worries and it's my favorite ride on WDW property! I am a huge dorky goofball on the ride. Can't help it. :teeth:

So, there's WDW from this short chunky girl's experience. Hope that someone find's it helpful (or amusing, that's ok too - I can laugh at myself, it makes life bearable) If I can answer any questions feel free to ask or PM me if you need to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter