• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Which IPOD to buy?

Gabrielsbigtrip

Mouseketeer
So if you have been following the "I sold my Gold" threads, you will know that some of us came into some cash.

I sold my gold and got $406.00.

I want to buy an IPOD but I don't know which one I should get.

I want to be able to watch episodes of Lost on my plane ride in May to WDW. I also obviously want to listen to music. I don't need tons of music though. I see that they have the IPOD touch and that connects to the internet.

How does that work? I understand it is wireless but do I have to get on the internet at home? Would I be able to get on the internet on the plane?

I don't own any MP3 player now so this is a first for me. If I don't get a big response here - I will post over at the Teens forum, I am sure they know everything about them:goodvibes

Any opinions or information would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I have an I-Pod nano
It has a little screen and enough memory for plenty of music
I do podcasts and recorded books and a few TV shows. Occasionally I will run out of space and you just uncheck something you are not listening to anymore on your I-tunes.

I don't know anything about the touch-my husband has an I-phone I will ask him about the internet part

My DH says you need to have a wireless network. So no -you would not be able to use the I-pod touch on the plane (to get on the internet)

Hi, Have the ipod touch and I have to say I love it. You can use the internet at home with it (it has wi-fi) so your able to connect to internet as long as a wi-fi service is available in the area. Although I tried at the airport and it showed the wi-fi was available, but I stll had an issue connecting. I would speak to someone at apple and see what they tell you. I have have the ipod, shuffle, etc. I have to say I do love my ipod touch, it is really simple to use. Hope this helps.

I have a 60G iPod video. I can't fill it up to save my life!! I have TONS of music, videos, and pictures on it and it still isn't full. I guess what I'm saying is, you don't need anything bigger than 60G! I would get the new nano or the 40G video iPod if I was you. Go check them out, hold them in your hand, look at the screen sizes and pick the one that you like!

I got 80g iPod classic for Christmas. I had a 4g mini before, and I have been manually managaing my music for 2 years, so DH got me the bigger one.
I love the Classic. I have more room than I will ever fill for music, videos, and photos. It also come with 3 games, and you can purchase more through iTunes. Is has plenty of space- I could rent movies from iTunes if I want, which I will probably consider next time I go on vacation. I don't need the internet connection, but DH told me that you have to have WiFi available, so you could not get on the net while riding in the car or the plane or what not. However, you can get on while in a place that has WiFi available, such as Starbucks. I personally don't like the new Nanos. They are way too small for me- I would be afraid of breaking it all the time, or losing it in my purse.
Good luck deciding which one to get. If you go to apple.com, I believe they have a comparison chart- also you can get them engraved for free if you order from apple.com. This is nice in case it gets stolen, but is only available through the website.

I've owned three iPods in the past few years; first, I started out with a 2 GB 1st Gen Nano. Next, I got a 30 GB iPod Video. This one has been my favorite because I can watch episodes of various shows while exercising, yet still having the vast storage capacity for music and movies. Finally, I purchased an iPod Shuffle. This is used for "around-the-house" listening, which is great. The only reason I have had so many iPods is the storage; 2 GB holds some songs and podcasts, but fills up quickly. 30 GB holds about 20 hours of video along with about 30 hours of music and podcasts.

If I had a choice now, I would get an 80 GB iPod Classic. For the price of the Touch, 16 and 32 GB's isn't enough space. :)

I got the 16 gb touch and I LOVE it. It is so cool to use.

Lori P. :)

Target has the ipod 8gb touch for $299 plus you get a target $50 gift card all week, today is the last day. I have $110 in gift cards and i keep going back and fourth if i should buy this ipod or not...:rotfl: in the long run it would only cost me $139 plus tax. cashing in $110 GC and $50gC ( i know i would not be able to use the $50 GC towards the ipod purchase ;)

anyone have the 8gb ipod touch ? how many movies can you download and music ? and i do like the wireless internet.

That would work for me too with getting the gift card! Was that in the store or online?

I don't foresee me have a whole library of songs but would like to be able to hold at least 100 and maybe hold about 3-5 hours of TV shows.

Do you think the smaller memory would work for me as well?

Also, Walmart has the 8gb Bundled with your choice of three accessories for 317.00. That seems like a good price.

What accessories would I need if any?

walmart price is not bad at all, especially with your choice of three accessiores. I would still like to know how many hours of movie & music time i can put on an 8GB. :confused3

What accessories does everyone have? I have never owned one so I don't know what I would need. I would love an extra battery pack if they exist. But other than that would I need anything else?

I also don't know if the Walmart price reflects the model that has the software upgrade or if I would have to pay 19.99 extra for that? I am going to check into them though.

I have the 80gb classic and I love it! Me and my fiance in a way really want the touch ipods, however since we both have the 80gb we do not feel it is worth it right now since ours have such big hard drives. If you are only going to put a few tv shows on then you will probably be fine with an 8gb. But I would spend the extra money for an itouch. For an additional $100 I think it is worth it to have the touch screen and the wi-fi. We originally got the big hard drives bc we felt like we would have these for such a long time and wanted to keep building up our library. However I have had mine for about 2 years and I am already drooling over the new ones, so who knows how much longer I will have this one. If they had the itouch when I got mine I probably would have gone for that. However for me the 8gb would be too small bc I have used about 12gb of mine so far. I have used up to about 4gb of audio which on my ipod is made up of about 970 regular songs and also about 40 podcasts that range for the most part from 7 to 30 minutes each. I have used about 8 gb of video which is made up of 7 full length movies - hr and a half to 2 hrs each, a few short music videos and 13 tv shows 20 -25 mins each. And a very minuscule amount is photos, notes, and games etc. I figured I would post the amount of space I have been using in case it helps you decide how much space you will need.

What accessories does everyone have? I have never owned one so I don't know what I would need. I would love an extra battery pack if they exist. But other than that would I need anything else?

I also don't know if the Walmart price reflects the model that has the software upgrade or if I would have to pay 19.99 extra for that? I am going to check into them though.

To try to answer some of your questions,

There is no extra battery pack bc they have an internal rechargeable battery. They give you a usb cord so you can charge you ipod through your computer. If you want to be able to charge it using a regular outlet you need to purchase that charger separately and it is usually about $30. It is good to have if you are away and don't have access to a computer.

As far as the software upgrade, I think it looks like on apple's website that people that bought their itouches before the upgrade in january would need to pay extra to download that. but the current itouches apple is selling look to already have those upgrades. You should probably check with walmart, maybe they are selling ones from before the software upgrade? Perhaps someone else on here has bought one recently and can answer that for you. There is about a $20 price difference between walmart and apple.

The would definitely recommend getting a jacket, sleeve, case etc. for your ipod to protect it from scratches and finger prints you can get ones anywhere from $5 to $30. I use a silicon one that I got from the disney store for 12 bucks. If you have a five below store near you and use you just want a cheap one, their's aren't bad

I would also definitely recommend getting a screen protector. They may or may not sell them in stores now, but I have seen them being sold online. At the time I got mine I just got the film protectors made for palm pilots from staples and cut it to the size I needed. That won't work for the long screen on the itouch has so you would need to find ones specific for that. But It has really helped keep the screen in great shape. I just change it when I feel it is getting too dirty.

There isn't anything else I think that you need but there are some cool accessories for ipod. You can get a transmitter for your car so you can tune into a station on your radio and play your ipod through your car speakers. However if you do that be careful which one you get bc the two that I tried did not hold up well, one was not sturdy and kept falling off the stand and we paid about $40 bucks for it. Also if you want external speakers to be able to play you music out loud, there are alot that act as a docking station that charges it as well and they can be more expensive or you can do what I did which is just buy a cheap set of portable speakers and they are pretty descent.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Thanks for the information......

I think I am going to go see them in person and ask some questions.

I am leaning towards the 16gb just in case.

Thanks again.

FWIW - I have the 8gb Touch. DH surprised me for Christmas.

I keep a good deal of music. I switch Podcasts (video and sound) on and off as I listen/view. I have always still had at least 2 - 4 gb. If you really watch full length movies and want to keep them on it, it would probably be better to go bigger.

Hope this helps.

my boyfriend and i both have the ipod touch. we love it. it's big enough that you can watch movies comfortably on and i love being able to go on the internet when there is wifi around. we even used his for internet access when we were in disney because we were stuck there an extra day and needed to tell our bosses. there are a number of wifi places in disney, but it does cost some money. some airports also have free wifi (i think orlando is one of them).

So I found the 16gb at Vanns.com for $339.77. It comes with screen protectors too (no big thing $ wise).

It doesn't come with the software upgrade which I think is $19.99. I don't even know if I would need that because I am an Ipod newbie.

The website has free shipping and NO SALES TAX.

Since our lovely Governor and his goons decided to increase our taxes with sales tax being one of them......I think I may order it :)

Thanks for the information everyone.

I went to Youtube and watched some product guides. I can't wait to try it - it looks very cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter