Which DVC with preschooler and infant?

Mmw37

Mouseketeer
Suggestions welcome! We will be traveling to WDW in Jan 2016 and staying on property 5 nights. It's our second trip, and won't be our last. We have two boys, who will be 9 mo and 4.5 years at time of travel. Last time DS1 was 2, and we stayed in AS sports. This time I'm planning on renting DVC points, but can't decide where to try for. We haven't been to Epcot or AK yet, so we will hit both for sure, and will spent at least one at MK. We will probably head back to the room for a nap/rest each afternoon before dinner, and may or may not go back to the parks in the evening. I'd like to avoid having a rental car while we're on property, so convenience is important, and all of our evening meals will be table service and hopefully good quality. Where would you recommend? The ones that appeal to me the most are Poly, VWL, and BCV, but I am very open right now. Thanks!!

With those ages I'd personally recommend one that has a walking distance or monorail to at least 1 park. This would leave Poly, BCV (or BWV) and then the other MK area ones. Any would be fine, but the convenience of transportation or walking at all of those will pay off at least a few days. Personally we steer towards BWV or BCV due to it being a short walk for two parks, and we enjoy the boardwalk environment at night.

Finally if you're looking for nice table service meals you've got a lot of really nice ones in the EPCOT resort area, and then of course several great ones along the Monorail near MK as well.

I would recommend BWV/BCV or one of the MK DVC resorts. As others have mentioned BWV is within walking distance to two parks so if you need to take a break it makes things a bit easier. Also, I am guessing you will have a double stroller which will also help with not having to board a boat, ferry, bus etc.

We also will be going in Jan and have PVB booked for our trip (7 nights). There is construction at this resort and at Wildnerness Lodge too - just FYI.

We'll only have a single stroller - I'm an avid baby wearer, and can wear the baby comfortably for a couple of hours if big boy actually rides. He hasn't been in a stroller in a couple of years though, and barely rode during our last trip at 2.

We're going during one of the slowest weeks of the year - between New Years and the marathon - so hopefully there's still availability. Last time we went we were FL residents and didn't book until the week before, so the advance planning is new to me! I guess that's my next step. Maybe I'll try for something on the monorail first, and then BCV or BWV. We'll probably go to MK twice, so proximity to there would be really handy. Thanks!

I would try either Poly or BLT first. BLT is walking distance to MK then just monorail to TTC to Epcot. Or Poly being monorail or boat to MK then monorail to Epcot. Otherwise BCV was nice and fairly small, easy walking distance to Epcot and took the boat to HS (we did not take the bus to MK but I hear that can be a pain). Not sure what your chances are getting things with only a few month window though!

I would try either Poly or BLT first. BLT is walking distance to MK then just monorail to TTC to Epcot. Or Poly being monorail or boat to MK then monorail to Epcot. Otherwise BCV was nice and fairly small, easy walking distance to Epcot and took the boat to HS (we did not take the bus to MK but I hear that can be a pain). Not sure what your chances are getting things with only a few month window though!
I am a DVC member and I can tell you that just prior to the marathon DVC rooms book up (it's also value season for DVC). I just checked and the only resort that looks like you might be able to get on points at that time is Saratoga Springs. If you plan on renting you may need to do a split stay or wait list to get the dates. Good Luck.

Shoot! We'll only be there Fri night of marathon weekend, but if there isn't anything we'll try somewhere else and just keep our rental car then. Maybe next time - I just can't imagine starting vacation planning so early! Thanks for checking!

If you're planning on multiple days at MK then I'd go for one of the monorail resorts. Haven't stayed at Poly yet, but will be in November. BLT has access to the Contemporary and the monorail along with Chef Mickey's which I'm betting your two little ones would love. If there wasn't any construction going on at WL I'd suggest that property as well. It's a short boat ride to MK and with a single stroller it wouldn't be a bad ride so long as your stroller easily folds. They have a nice pool at WL as well. Poly pool could be crowded since they are working on the quiet pool currently.

Our first trip my girls were 4 and a quarter and 11 months old! Very similar to yours. We got a 2 bedroom at WLV. My sis came with us to help out with the little one so me and dh could ride with the preschooler. The pack and play for the baby fit in the closet (they were HUGE). It just helped having the two rooms so the little ones could go to bed early but we weren't stuck sitting in a bathroom until they fell asleep (yes, we have done that many times in a normal hotel). It was a splurge for sure and now we are spoiled and always have to get a DVC unit. We did BWV 2 bedroom last trip (kids were 7 and 10). Finally we are doing a one bedroom since we can all go to bed at the same time. We almost did a studio but couldn't give up the full kitchen (great for breakfast and we came back for lunch so the baby could nap and the preschooler could swim with dad) and the w/d!! Edited to add - They have high chairs too!!

While you couldn't reserve your whole stay through a point rental it appears that there is still availability through cash reservations. You can reserve villas at a cash rate and they happen to be available at OKW where we stayed when our daughters were 4 and 10 months. It was great, the villas have the most space of pretty much any DVC on property. Reserving in the Hospitality House area is very nice as you don't need to use internal transportation. It looks like they still have availability at PVB, AKV Jambo and Kidani, BLT, SSR and OKW. Good luck!

Epcot resorts and AK are amazing but with little ones I'd go for a monorail resort. DVC rentals are usually at least 7 mths in advance - good luck and have fun!

As the OP found out; availability at DVC resorts booking with points does not follow the same patterns that nonDVC bookings follow. DVC members like to go in what many consider the off months, when the parks are less crowded and the weather in Florida is better than where they live and points required is lower.

You pretty much have to book at least 7 months out to get what you want, even earlier for certain resorts and times.

Boardwalk villas are really great--with a 4.5 year old son he will love going to hollywood studios and its a nice walk to HS and epcot. You can't beat the choices for dinners--epscot, yacht and beach club, and Boardwalk restaurants.

If availability wasn't an issue, for that age I would vote BLT for sure. You will likely spend most of your time at MK, and just being able to push the stroller home without any boats/monorail/bus is SO nice! I've done BLT and PVB and I would choose BLT hands down! At PVB we were second to the last room on property and it rained, A LOT. To get anywhere we had to push strollers in the pouring down rain for at least 5 minutes, BLT you can get into CR for food/drink refills/shopping, etc.

I would recommend either BCV or BWV because it has easy boat transportation or walking to two parks. My boys loved the boardwalk area and the little playground by the Boardwalk pool.

If SSR is your only choice for renting points, my 4 year old loved it! We figured out how to walk to different bus stops to minimize the number of stops before getting to the parks. It was super easy to walk over to Downtown Disney. He loved the pools and it was super quiet for naps.

SSR is indeed the only DVC choice, unfortunately (I'm the OP). So now I'm looking at other options too. Non-DVC rental rates for most of the deluxes are a no-go, even with a likely discount. Im going to start another thread to ask for more advice, because I still have no idea what to book! Next time we'll try this earlier, I didn't know DVC even existed 7 months before our trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter