Which dvc studio would you choose for a mother/daughter(9yrs) 2 week vacation?

Jana1121

Earning My Ears
Hi! I am a single mom and have plans to take my daughter (who will be 9 at the time) on a 2 week trip during Thanksgiving week 2017. I am planning on renting points for a dvc studio and would like some opinions on which resort you would pick and why. I know the studios can't be requested before the 11 month mark, but I am trying to decide in which order to request. As of now, my top choices are VGF, BLT, VWL and BWV. Which ever we choose it will most likely be a standard view. This is going to be the first trip for the two of us alone and would like it to be a special as I can make it! Thanks!

I would not spend 2 weeks in any studio.

The OP did not ask about how comfy a studio would be or if a 2 weeks stay in a studio was doable. OP did however ask which studio to select.:love2:

I have only stayed in a studio at AKV and OKW and that was doable. I like to cook some meals so a studio won't work for me - at least not the majority of the time. Also in all Dvc studios the plates are made of paper and the cutlery is made of plastic - to me that's just too much of a discount feeling.

If you look at the link provided you can find the sizes of all the Dvc units. I hope the link is allowed.

You will see that a studio at BLT is actually one of the smallest studios at a wdw resort. The largest studio is at OKW.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/grand-floridian/news/2291-dvc-villa-square-footage-by-resort

Last edited:
The OP did not ask about how comfy a studio would be or if a 2 weeks stay in a studio was doable. OP did however ask which studio to select.

I have only stayed in a studio at AKV and OKW and that was doable. I like to cook some meals so a studio won't work for me - at least not the majority of the time. Also in all Dvc studios the plates are made of paper and the cutlery is made of plastic - to me that's just too much of a discount feeling.

If you look at the link provided you can find the sizes of all the Dvc units. I hope the link is allowed.

You will see that a studio at BLT is actually one of the smallest studios at a wdw resort. The largest studio is at OKW.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/grand-floridian/news/2291-dvc-villa-square-footage-by-resort
Thanks, I will look at that! :)

If you plan to spend lots of time at Magic Kingdom, I would consider BLT or VGF. Both would work for only two people. BLT is excellent for walking distance to MK. VGF you have to ride the monorail or take a ferry boat.

Hi! I am a single mom and have plans to take my daughter (who will be 9 at the time) on a 2 week trip during Thanksgiving week 2017. I am planning on renting points for a dvc studio and would like some opinions on which resort you would pick and why. I know the studios can't be requested before the 11 month mark, but I am trying to decide in which order to request. As of now, my top choices are VGF, BLT, VWL and BWV. Which ever we choose it will most likely be a standard view. This is going to be the first trip for the two of us alone and would like it to be a special as I can make it! Thanks!

I might think about doing a split stay - one week at BWV and one week at one of the others.

For Thanksgiving, because they already have Christmas going, I'd strongly consider VWL. I think that most of the construction should be done by that time so it shouldn't cause any inconvenience. And guessing that MK will be a prime destination BLT would also be right up there. It's a very nice layout for 2 people even if it is the smallest studio and a great location with walking to MK or monorail to either MK or Epcot. Also it has the boat launch going between BLT/WL/FW which gives great access to those other two resorts. Otherwise, although not on your list, I like PVB for studios for the location - it's an easy walk over to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail and is a short monorail or boat ride to MK.

BLT is smallest but you can walk to MK. VGF will cost the most points but the rooms look really nice. You can walk to 2 parks from BWV or boat and there is a lot to do around the boardwalk. VWL is quiet but under construction though may be nearly done w/in a year and they have boat to MK.

I did a ladies only trip in 2014 with my twin DDs and my mom. DDs were 15. We did a split stay...3 nights at SSR and 2 nights at BWV. I think it was what we could piece together on short notice and with minimal points. I am about to book another ladies trip for June. This time we will do two studios...one for DDs-18 and their friend and one for mom and I. I am booking AKV for mom and I and DDs want BCV for them. If BCV isn't available, their next choice was AKV. I am secretly hoping BCV is not available so I can book both studios at AKV.

Last edited:

I think about any of them would be fine for two. I also think staying two weeks straight in the same room would also be fine but some like to do that split stay. Getting a near park resort would be a plus and the largest studios of that near park group are the rooms at Poly, and Poly would be an excellent choice for an MK resort. BCV would be a good choice for an Epcot resort because of its excellent themed pool. although my own personal preference would be BWV.

You should be aware of issues you might have as a renter, particularly since you mentioned "standard" view. Thanksgiving time is an extremely high DVC demand time. You are aware of the 11 month window which allows an owner of a particular resort to begin booking online a room at that resort at 8 a.m. eastern, 11 months out from date of arrival. BLT standard view, BWV standard view, VGF standard and lake view, and AKV value (and club level) studios have a risk of booking full within seconds after the opening of that 11 month window for time around Thanksgiving. In other words, even if you can find someone who can try to reserve exactly 11 months out, you may not get any of those rooms. Other studios will be available for some time beyond the 11 month reservation date.

As other has recommended you could do a split stay, this could be a good option if you want to do the DDP. With the DDP you need to go the full length of your stay which could be quite costly with a 2 weeks stay. Doing a split stay for 2 x 1 week you could do the DDP for one week only.

With 2 weeks you could also split the days in 3 stays and visit more resorts and again you could do the DDP for only one of the stays. When doing a split stay remember that you are kinda homeless on the checkout day from 11 - 4. This doesn't has to be a problem if you are going to the parks because you just ask bell services to bring your luggage to the new resort. When you return to your new room just call bell services and they will drop off you luggage.

BTW, because you are planning on renting for two weeks around Thanksgiving I would advise that you rent from an owner of the resort you want to book as all of these resorts are very busy for Thanksgiving weekend and the week after Thanksgiving as many DVC members book rooms for themselves starting with Thanksgiving through mid December because the point cost is so low.

okay correct me if wrong - but you can only book 7 days at a time - or did they change that rule?

Now for 2 weeks would definitely change resorts - now if you don't like to change resorts would go for OKW or SSR - they are both bigger resorts - closer to DS.

love the combination of BLT and BCV - both are hard to get. So you are smart to start the process now. You might have to go with 2 renters - one for BLT another for BCV.

okay correct me if wrong - but you can only book 7 days at a time - or did they change that rule?

Now for 2 weeks would definitely change resorts - now if you don't like to change resorts would go for OKW or SSR - they are both bigger resorts - closer to DS.

love the combination of BLT and BCV - both are hard to get. So you are smart to start the process now. You might have to go with 2 renters - one for BLT another for BCV.

It's not that you can only book 7 days although right at the 11 month window that is all you can book at once. Then you can modify and add days.

I might think about doing a split stay - one week at BWV and one week at one of the others.

For Thanksgiving, because they already have Christmas going, I'd strongly consider VWL. I think that most of the construction should be done by that time so it shouldn't cause any inconvenience. And guessing that MK will be a prime destination BLT would also be right up there. It's a very nice layout for 2 people even if it is the smallest studio and a great location with walking to MK or monorail to either MK or Epcot. Also it has the boat launch going between BLT/WL/FW which gives great access to those other two resorts. Otherwise, although not on your list, I like PVB for studios for the location - it's an easy walk over to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail and is a short monorail or boat ride to MK.

As a mother of 2 daughters(5and7) I say one week at BWV and one week at VGF. BWV is my favorite and my girls love it there. They loved VGF too....my oldest said she wanted to stay there because it was so "fancy"... so we did... last April. Nice dining options right there for them- 1900 park fare has a great character breakfast and dinner. Do both! And as for the boardwalk there is so much there!!! And you can WALK to 2 parks(Epcot and HS) a studio for the 2 of you is more than enough room. And both studios at these locations are so lovely and new.

Thanks everyone for your input! I am open to doing a split stay if necessary, I just really don't want to have to change resorts more than once if possible.

If you were going with a broker like David's a split stay would also be more likely to be matched with an owner because two different point owners could be used. A two week stay is a very large number of points that will match with fewer owners.

Disney makes split stays easy. They'll move your bags for you, and it will make your vacation feel like two!

I would go with VGF and BWV...a week in each. I like BLT but it's smallish for a longer stay. VWL are very nice too!! Just take the boat over to MK.
I would use David's to book the two different weeks....much easier.

Is there a reason you are not considering the Poly? The split bath strikes me as very convenient.

I would probably not choose BLT, because it is so small, and the space is not particularly well-configured even given that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter