Where to get Easter baskets for egg hunts? How many eggs per child?

disneyofcourse

DIS Veteran
I'm holding an event for my friends kids and a bunch of school friends/Church Group friends. We are looking at about 28 kids and max is 30 kids that will be coming. Ages 6 months to around 11 years old. Most are in the 5yo and up range. My question is where can I get good sized Easter Baskets at around $1-2 a piece. They must be suitable in size for the smaller and larger kids. Is that possible at this price point?

Also I ordered a "Mega assortment" of Easter eggs (864), I'm going to save some for next year so I wont' be putting them all out this year. Do you think using half the eggs is enough for up to 30 kids? I remember my Easter egg hunts took an hour or two and each kid would come out with 2 dozen eggs at times! Do you think 400 eggs is too few?

Hopefully someone on here has done or attended a few hunts.

I haven't done a big hunt but a few years ago I ordered baskets for my son't birthday party from Oriental Trading Co. His party that year was an Easter Egg Hunt. We had a small group of only 12 kids, though. I think we had 10 items per kid.

We did it once and we used color coded eggs. So the older kinds could not snap up all the eggs. I also put age appropriate snacks inside. For the toddlers it was lollypops, gerber grade little packs of goldfish etc. For the older kids it was straight candy. The little kids had a great time and so did the older kids!

We did a few eggs with numbers inside and they got special prizes. It just made it more fun!

Lisa

oriental trading has plastic easter bags..we used them for our eggs hunt

I ordered the eggs and candy, stickers, goo, mini toys for the eggs from oriental. I saw a few baskets but nothing really caught my egg in terms of looking to be the right size? I'm not sure if most of them would have enough room for more than 6-8 eggs or so. The other things I'm considering is ordering retail type bags with the little rope handles and maybe a glossy finish? The type they use in those upscale boutique type shops. This way we could have a decorate station.

I like the different colored eggs for different ages. That's one thing I was concerned about since its such a big age group.

Love the idea of putting in special numbers in certain eggs for big prizes. I bought 8 of those big plush beanie babies they have as prizes. I would love to use your idea and use those for the giveaway.

I'm the Youth and Recreation Director at a Country Club and we do a few hunts each year. I estimate 12-15 eggs per child (we do hunts for 100 plus kids, LOTS of eggs!)). We "release" the kids at separate time to give the little ones a chance to get a few before the big kids snatch them all up. The older ones are usually really good about sharing. I also keep a basket full set aside for any children who don't get any or only a couple.

Most egg hunts around here kids bring there own baskets that they use year after year. Otherwise check your local $ store for baskets. I allow 1 dozen eggs per child, so 400 should be ok. I have never had a egg hunt take more than 15-20 minutes. Kids grab them and you are done. You may want to plan some others activities and of course snacks. I love the colored coded idea so you can stuff eggs according to ages. I always hold out some eggs for the kids that do not find too many but aways give the "share" talk and that works pretty well!

I'm holding an event for my friends kids and a bunch of school friends/Church Group friends. We are looking at about 28 kids and max is 30 kids that will be coming. Ages 6 months to around 11 years old. Most are in the 5yo and up range. My question is where can I get good sized Easter Baskets at around $1-2 a piece. They must be suitable in size for the smaller and larger kids. Is that possible at this price point?

Also I ordered a "Mega assortment" of Easter eggs (864), I'm going to save some for next year so I wont' be putting them all out this year. Do you think using half the eggs is enough for up to 30 kids? I remember my Easter egg hunts took an hour or two and each kid would come out with 2 dozen eggs at times! Do you think 400 eggs is too few?

Hopefully someone on here has done or attended a few hunts.

Walmart usually has plastic pails that are decorated for Easter in the $1-$2 range. I think that I would plan for at least a dozen eggs per child, probably more like 1 1/2 dozen. The Easter egg hunts I've been to in my area never lasted nearly an hour or two! The local park and rec runs one, they separate the kids age 4 and under, age 5 and up and have them look for the eggs separately, and they plan 30 minutes per Egg Hunt. The eggs are always picked up well before 30 minutes is over. But maybe you hide them better.

I was at Big Lots this week and they have baskets for $1. Last Sunday was friends and family and it was 20% off your order. Too bad you missed it.

Walmart usually has plastic pails that are decorated for Easter in the $1-$2 range. I think that I would plan for at least a dozen eggs per child, probably more like 1 1/2 dozen. The Easter egg hunts I've been to in my area never lasted nearly an hour or two! The local park and rec runs one, they separate the kids age 4 and under, age 5 and up and have them look for the eggs separately, and they plan 30 minutes per Egg Hunt. The eggs are always picked up well before 30 minutes is over. But maybe you hide them better.

I have assisted family members with egg placement...I'm very creative, so very few easy to find eggs.:rotfl: Trees, bushes, hidden between rocks, inside tree holes, attached to outdoor water faucets, yellow eggs with yellow flowers.. I don't think any of our Easter egg hunts have ever been that short.:laughing:

I've just been told to try the craft store since apparently they sell big baskets for a buck each. I will check tomorrow!

I haven't done a big hunt but a few years ago I ordered baskets for my son't birthday party from Oriental Trading Co. His party that year was an Easter Egg Hunt. We had a small group of only 12 kids, though. I think we had 10 items per kid.

We are doing 10 eggs per kid for my DD7's 1st grade class. They are filled with novelties and candy. I would suggest a nice round number for the kids that age to be able to easily count to.

I like the idea of 12 per kid. We did that at my son's preschool and it worked great. Each kid brought an empty egg carton to fill with their eggs (we decorated our cartons). Once the carton was full, they knew they were done!

Around here there is a huge egg extravaganza that is put on by a few local churches. It started a few years a go as a small gathering and just keeps growing and growing. I have never seem something so big before! They separate each age group so they lil ones don't get trampled and so the prizes are separated but they also ask each person to empty their eggs and then return the eggs to a large barrel before leaving. They hand out white paper shopping bags to anyone who doesnt bring they're own basket.

I would place 10 to 20 eggs per child. I would also look into a Dollar Tree type store they usually have a nice large Easter bucket for a buck in a variety of colors. The handle and the depth of the bucket itself should make it easy for the little ones. Should keep the eggs from tipping over the egg too.

I saw Easter baskets at the Dollar Tree last week - obviously, they were $1 each. Good luck!

We wind up going to multiple Easter egg hunts every year. Every one that we have been to around here, the kids are required to bring their own baskets from home. As far as the different age groups, they section off certain hunt areas for the different age groups so that the older ones don't trample the younger ones and get all their eggs. You might want to think about doing that. We attend some where they have 3 and under; 4-5; 6-8; and 8-11 areas. We attended another last year that had 3 and under; 4-8; and 8-11 areas. I will tell you that DD was 4, and in the 4 to 8 area, it was pretty rough. DD is tough, fast, and can hold her own, but there were a lot of crying 4 year olds. It was a fairly big crowd and the 7-8 year olds were pretty much running over the little ones. I would say if you have room and since you don't have an enormous amount of kids, I would at least try to break it down to an under 5 area and an over 5 area.

Depending on how many of the toddler set you have, you might want to tie balloons to them so they are easier to see. We did that for family one and the older kids knew that the balloon ones were for the little guys. When they were all young we used different colored balloons or pink for the gilrs & blue for the boys.

I also did a scavenger hunt for the older kids, having them wander around a designated area looking for clues in groups of 2! Did little rhymes so they knew wheere to go next, but sent each group off into a different starting area, though they ended up at the same place for the final big gift. Had little things for them to pick up at each location or a ticket to redeem for things when they got back! That way could tell if some had "cheated" off the others!:laughing:

Have a great time!!:hug:

we numbered the eggs. So each kid got 12, but they needed to find a #1, #2, etc, so it took longer. That way they all got all the same stuff too, since all the #1s had erasures, #2s chocolate, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter