Where Can I Get A PT Job At?

My2BabiesLexis&Dill

DIS Veteran
Here is my story...I work part time at the Post Office. Yes great pay but only one day a week. I have to be available to them 6 days a week, so no other daytime job. I was recently working 6 days a week but it has slowed down to 1 day. :headache: Well my DH works in the landscaping business and of course it's slow. So he don't have many hours coming in. So I need to find a new job. I have put my app's in at Walmart store, Walmart distribution, Hampton Inn and a few other department stores. No one has called me. I have called them to make sure they got my app since it's all online now. But I need money coming in NOW!!! We are barely making it. Does anyone have ideas where to go? Oh, forgot to mention but my hours I can work is 6pm-11pm, Monday thru Saturday and no Sundays (if possible).

With those restricted hours. I think the only place you are going to be able to find a job is as a waitress.

Maybe you can be a night manager somewhere like a retail store in the mall? Or Chick-fil-a - they don't stay open too late and they are closed Sundays. Or maybe your grocery store?

Good luck!

How about selling Avon or something like Pampered Chef? This way you can set your own hours :confused3

How come you have to work only 6 to 11pm?

How about selling Avon or something like Pampered Chef? This way you can set your own hours :confused3

How come you have to work only 6 to 11pm?

I have to be on call to work at the post office and with the holidays coming up....(when you are a mail carrier, you have no set hours. One day you may work 6 hours, the next maybe 12 hrs.) I have to make sure I have enough time allowed to finish work before I can go to the second job. My DH doesn't prefer me to work 3rd shift so that really is the only hours I came up with.

Have you tried being a sub at another post office, basically what I am saying is having your main one that you work at then have a second one that you could be a subs sub. I know they do this.

I have to be on call to work at the post office and with the holidays coming up....(when you are a mail carrier, you have no set hours. One day you may work 6 hours, the next maybe 12 hrs.) I have to make sure I have enough time allowed to finish work before I can go to the second job. My DH doesn't prefer me to work 3rd shift so that really is the only hours I came up with.

Oh, ok ;) What about selling something on the side?

Don't know of the availability in your state , but those hours might well work for residential aide for the mentally challenged living in group homes . Most of them are in some sort of day program and staff is neede din the evening.It is a really rewarding job , 5they are very special people!!

I second the waitessing job.

I know where I work, we're really short on hours as well. We haven't really been hiring in awhile.

Good luck though.

Are there any 24 hour or open late drop in child care centers in your area? I know anyone who will take those hours has an automatic job around here, so long as they have a clean record.

What about cleaning offices? That would work well for those hours as well.

Unless you have waited tables before it will be hard to get the dinner shift right away.

Do you have any sort of temp employment agencies? Or how about checking into your local community services to see if they have a job list. At work, local government, I have access to a "job list" from a place that offers aid to low income people.

Babe...Starbucks!!!

I love it there, and my hours are essentially the same as yours. The pay isn't the very best, but it is certainly decent and you get great perks too.

Check it out!

Are you an RCA or a Casual? If so, talk to your postmaster about also working at another office as a Casual for more hours.

I'm guessing your at a really small office if you're only get 1 day a week as a non-career. Back when I was with the USPS, our RCAs all worked as Casuals also, which increased their hours.

If you're a PTF, what craft are you in? You might want to talk to your union steward to make sure that they aren't working any casuals, RCAs or TE's when you could be working.

I was a PTF mailhandler, then a PTF machine clerk, and finally a FT Regular manual/box clerk before I left the USPS.

have you tried hotels, or even home depot, i hear home deopt pays very well for part time.

On days when you are on call do you find out very early if they will need you? If you do you could always sub. in the school dist. as an assistant on the days you're not working your normal day job. Districts vary but ours make calls between 5:30 am and 8:30 am.

How about a Borders or Barnes and Noble? Hastings doesn't go that far east, but I know that we are very flexible with hours, and know Barnes and Noble is too.
I used to love waitressing so that is certainly an option too.

I wish you luck- In your situation being a "home based business operator" may be the best- loads of great ones out there-
Avon, Pampered Chef, Stampin' Up, Creative Memories, etc- there is another that sells kids plushed animals and such, a candle company one, and another for lingerie & adult type items, ... just a thought-
The reason you may not be getting calls - are you stating on your applications that you can only work 6-11PM? If so, As a manager, The app's that have limited times to work are the last I give a glance to- Especially in retail- Very hard to hire people who can only work certain days and hours- I wouldn't list the limited times- Wait to get called for an interview and then after they meet you personally and see what type of person you are,mention the hours you would prefer to work and tell them why- Most will then still hire you if they were impressed by a certtain quality you have- & being a Mom, holding a job and looking for a second- A very big commodity in retail- Younger kids are not as reliable and with no responsibilities a manager knows they can spend weeks on training and end up having someone quit due to boredom, disinterest, just because factors, which can cost companies more money and managers more work to fill gaps in schedules-
I would also inquire at places that you know the routine- either you have a friend who works there or a place you do business with and the people "know" you by association- Mention you are looking to work another job and when do they usually hire- You'll find many, especially now with kids back to school, will sometimes speak to you right there (just don't have kids with you when you inquire)- There are quite a few home based businesses that don't require much at all to get started- & if it is something you already enjoy doing... I.e. scrapbooking (Stampin' Up or Creative Memories) then you have an out for your hobby plus a nice income potential.
Check in your area at Auto Dealerships- If they need a phone receptionist in the eveing- almost all only have until 6 PM and the receptionist leaves but the phone continues to ring...
Also, Auto Dealerships need cleaning done after hours- as well as other offices, inquire about that- You would definitely have the hours you are looking for or even less but the pay is great for the couplehours work- and you could inquire as an independant- cater to a few of them-
Well, good luck and hope you find something soon- I know how hard it can be when you are a mother, limited, and need to bring in extra income- look outside the box though

I would also rec cleaning offices.

Here's another thought: I work for a bank and the operations dept which processes checks and back office work has different shifts. Perhaps you could look into the banks in your area?

Don't know of the availability in your state , but those hours might well work for residential aide for the mentally challenged living in group homes . Most of them are in some sort of day program and staff is neede din the evening.It is a really rewarding job , 5they are very special people!!

This is a good idea. I see you are in VA. There is also need for attendants or respite workers in home settings. There are agencies that specialize in this. Individuals are sometimes allotted attendant, respite or companion care through medicaid funding. They can use an agency or do the hiring and paperwork themselves (or their guardian can). I am not familiar with your part of the state. I know some people looking to hire post through Craigslist. You could try calling your local ARC and asking if they have a starting point for you or your County's Community Services Office.

I don't know much about the companion care duties, but I think it is to help the person with socialization and doing things in the community. I believe it is for those with disabilities that are 18 years old and up. With the evening hours, that could work. And it could be such a rewarding job. (Sorry I don't have 100% accurate information.)

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter