Where are you staying on your next Disneyland Trip and Why?

Our next trip is not until March 2017. :( We are going down for my 45th birthday so we will likely stay onsite. We've stayed at all 3 DLR hotels and PPH is actually our favourite so we will probably stay there.

So, it turns out that even though we said that we are not going to do DL in 2016, neither DH nor I can wait until next March to go!

We are taking DS out of school for a couple of days following a long weekend and heading back "home" mid September! Since this was an unplanned trip, we were trying to do it on a budget and had originally booked at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel & Suites but after reading all sorts of reviews including the fact that they charge $10/day for wifi AND it is almost unusable, I called the Desert Inn & Suites and got a really good deal as a returning guest. While the DI&S does not have the greatest breakfast, it is clean, close to the entrance and has amazing wifi! :)

So, it turns out that even though we said that we are not going to do DL in 2016, neither DH nor I can wait until next March to go!

We are taking DS out of school for a couple of days following a long weekend and heading back "home" mid September! Since this was an unplanned trip, we were trying to do it on a budget and had originally booked at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel & Suites but after reading all sorts of reviews including the fact that they charge $10/day for wifi AND it is almost unusable, I called the Desert Inn & Suites and got a really good deal as a returning guest. While the DI&S does not have the greatest breakfast, it is clean, close to the entrance and has amazing wifi! :)

That is awesome! DH and I were not going to go this year (thought we could wait till Star Wars Land was finished) LOL.:earboy2:
So a week ago we booked our trip for the end of this month. SUPER EXCITED! :mickeyjum Last min trips are the best just cause they seem to be more of a surprise!

BWPPI for the beginning of next summer (5/29 - 6/3) for the following reasons:
  1. it's a closer walk than the GCH!
  2. I can't afford the GCH. :-(
  3. We stayed at BW Stovall's last time (Oct 2015). Loved the motel & would stay there again, but the resounding vote from my family was that it was too far of a walk. DH & both kids begged to stay closer next time.
  4. I got a super duper deal (~$137-139/night before taxes & parking). Yeah, we'll have to pay to park, but it's still cheaper than paying to park on site.
  5. They have free hot breakfast.
  6. It's super close.
  7. Did I mention how close it is to the Esplanade?
  8. My kids aren't picky about pools. They just need a concrete pit in the ground with clean water, so they'll have a great time in it.
  9. Pizza Press is next door. DH will be happy. He doesn't know about that place yet.
  10. I seriously thought about Hojo's since I found a rate for $141/night before taxes AND they include free parking. But the free breakfast was a huge draw at BWPPI. Plus, Hojo's is much farther of a walk. And we'll be checking in late afternoon on Memorial Day after what I suspect will be a really busy weekend of family stuff we'll be doing elsewhere before we drive to Anaheim.
  11. It's about $2000 less in lodging than staying at the DLH. We would love to stay at the DLH or PPH or GCH, but it's not in the budget. By staying at BWPPI, we get to be super close & save our legs.
  12. AND....it leaves money in the budget for us to GO TO CLUB 33, BABY!
How does one get the opportunity to go to club 33? I'd love to see if it's in the budget or even possible?

We wanted to try to rent DVC points through David's for Oct for GCH, but none available. We ALWAYS stay at the Ramada Maingate/now Grand Legacy. They've switched up the room names MANY times, but we always stay in what used to be called "Deluxe view with fireworks". Not the classic room. Rooms are bigger than classic so a family of 4 doesn't feel cramped. My complaint is that it went from Free parking to $5 parking, now $12 parking per night!! Insane. But, I worked out a deal to get us free parking, so all good there. Excited to try their new breakfast room too - opened a few months after our February 2016 stay.

We're holding reservations too for same price at HoJo, but there's something awesome about staying where you KNOW you'll get great service, comfortable accommodations, familiar walking path (maybe 7 minutes walking slowly with 2 kids to security & crossing Harbor). We NEVER, EVER go back to the hotel during our park days, so for us, we want a fun pool that kids can swim 9-10pm (pool open VERY late/early), offers some kind of nibbles in the morning (we're not huge breakfast people), and super close to the parks. We're 99% sure we'll cancel HoJos to stay at Grand Legacy again.

Oh - stroller rental on-site, and heard that there are a bunch of new storefronts opened up since our February stay!

We are staying at the Grand Californian. Just closed on a DVC contract last week and we are so excited. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa last October and loved it. -the kitchen, the washer/dryer, the location. The villas have their own elevators in their wing - we never waited more than a minute for an elevator.
Most of our trips have been at PPH, which I loved. The rooms are big and clean and fun. We had connecting rooms everytime since my mom and sister come along too. It's walkable but at night when you have to walk through the grand to get back to your hotel you really wished you were staying there and could cut off those last minutes of walking. Also the elevators get really crowded trying to get out for EMH (probably happens everywhere) we found you had to get an elevator going up in order to get on it and then ride down. Loved having our character breakfast and a restaurant right downstairs. We did club level there once and loved the breakfast and that the older kids could relax in the lounge midday and snack and have lunch while the toddler and baby (and a parent and grandma) napped in the rooms. But it was too hard to make it to the evening reception when we were at the hotel so much in the afternoon and they closed their lounge at 8. I believe the other hotels lounges are open till 10. We've never stayed at the DLH because the walk was longer and we had so many problems using the monorail to get into Disneyland at EMH but we do like that pool and Goofy's Kitchen is fun.
We've also stayed at homewood suites. The breakfast was great and we love having a full fridge. The room was quiet and clean but having to take the ART is a deal breaker for us - folding up a double stroller and having to worry about making it back for a shuttle for naptime . I once ran from paradise pier in DCA with my baby boy so that I could make the shuttle and could get the overtired babe to bed.
We also stayed at Hilton Anaheim near the convention center just me and DH. We thought it wouldn't be so bad to take the ART or walk a little bit farther as adults. Nope we still didn't like it. Waiting on a bus schedule is not our thing - especially when you're trying to see a show and think they'll get you back to DCA in time and it's the bus driver's break and you sit on the bus for an extra 15 min.
Now that we are DVC I'm not sure if we'll stay off park anytime soon. If we do if like to try HOJO or PVI.

We wanted to try to rent DVC points through David's for Oct for GCH, but none available. We ALWAYS stay at the Ramada Maingate/now Grand Legacy. They've switched up the room names MANY times, but we always stay in what used to be called "Deluxe view with fireworks". Not the classic room. Rooms are bigger than classic so a family of 4 doesn't feel cramped. My complaint is that it went from Free parking to $5 parking, now $12 parking per night!! Insane. But, I worked out a deal to get us free parking, so all good there. Excited to try their new breakfast room too - opened a few months after our February 2016 stay.

We're holding reservations too for same price at HoJo, but there's something awesome about staying where you KNOW you'll get great service, comfortable accommodations, familiar walking path (maybe 7 minutes walking slowly with 2 kids to security & crossing Harbor). We NEVER, EVER go back to the hotel during our park days, so for us, we want a fun pool that kids can swim 9-10pm (pool open VERY late/early), offers some kind of nibbles in the morning (we're not huge breakfast people), and super close to the parks. We're 99% sure we'll cancel HoJos to stay at Grand Legacy again.

Oh - stroller rental on-site, and heard that there are a bunch of new storefronts opened up since our February stay!
How early did you try to rent? In order to get availability you have to try before the 7 month mark before other DVC owners are allowed to make reservations. That's why we specifically bought there - it's the only way to get reservations. So all our trips have to be planned really far out even as owners.

Ramada/Grand Legacy used to be our go to as well. We love the newer rooms at the back of the hotel. I am pretty sure the parking is $12 a night PLUS tax!! Insane considering it used to be free. But, I get it, they just did two massive renovations. Have you seen their new rooftop bar? It looks awesome!! I think there is a pizza place, ice cream place and a Jim boys tacos going in out front. That is pretty nice!! I always check the prices there still. Kinda bummed that Jessica is gone now, she was always my go to person to make reservations with. We have tried Hojos our last couple trips and have fallen in love. The walk isn't that much further, my 6 & 8 year olds can make it just fine. What we really like is that it is a hotel, so a lot less noise from cars in the parking lot. The beds are super comfortable too! And we are picky, having a memory foam mattress at home. We also like there are no hidden fees, and Hojo customer service is fantastic. Plus, we like getting to still be able to get the Wyndham rewards. So, if Grand Legacy is not available for any of your next trips, I think you might like Hojo too! We were always skeptical about all the love Hojo gets on here, but now we see why. =)

@disland7 - I tried back in middle of May for October at GCH - we knew it was a LONG shot, but since we got such great rates for airfare ($156 roundtrip Chicago-SNA!!!), we thought we'd try to reserve points - we only needed 3 nights, Oct 5-7, so it would've been $812 via David's if available. We weren't too worried/bummed about it ... we love the Grand Legacy/Ramada, so seriously no big loss in our minds. Would've been nice to try, but we understand it is the hardest hotel to get reservations via DVC - owners or otherwise!

@crystal1313 - you are absolutely correct - parking is $12 PLUS tax!! Our reservation has free parking each night, so that'll save us ~$45 after fee & tax. We're looking forward to checking out the new bar - when we were there in February, nothing "new" was open. no storefronts, lobby was still in the trailer, breakfast still at the pool ... so we're looking forward to staying there to check it all out. Thanks for the info on HoJos! I had reserved front of building, DL view, but the pool hours seem restrictive - and the front desk admitted if it gets chilly at night, they don't always keep the pool open and the kids play area they said closes earlier. I haven't cancelled it yet, but pretty sure I will within a week or two. Just stay with what we know - and see all the new stuff at Grand Legacy. We like to let our kids swim ~9-10pm (7 & 9 - so basically what you have too!) our first night there, so that is important to have the pool available. Coming from Chicagoland, the outdoor pool in October is a HUGE, ENORMOUS deal to our kids :-) We looked into the new Courtyard too, but it just seems so overly expensive for not really staying in the rooms much. Not where we'll put our money this trip. We've stayed in a Ramada Superior new room in the back, but we actually prefer the old Deluxe View with Fireworks - there's a block of about 40 rooms on floors 3 & 4 - they have double-sinks, a bigger table, and adjustable shower heads - what the superior doesn't have. We felt it worked better for our family of 4. They were redone a few years ago, so in really good shape.

@heybets30 totally get the pool hours thing! And, we really like the pool at Grand Legacy! I was surprised how warm it was and my boys loved the beach entry and the water squirters. I will have to check out the deluxe rooms! If you are looking at the property, with your back to DCA, are they on the right side? I am guessing so if you can see the fireworks. That's awesome that you got free parking. How nice!! I totally agree about the new courtyard. It is SO nice and love the waterpark, and I think the bathroom layout is genius, but is is crazy expensive for us for a room we will not be spending much time in. Have a wonderful trip!

We are arriving on our 41st Anniversary & staying at the Grand Californian since we own there. We are only staying for 3 nights because we ended up booking a trip to NY right before this to see our younger son and family. So we'll be flying SF to NY to LA to SF! We return to the Grand in early December with our older son & family. Every few years we buy Annual Passes and this'll be one of those years.

How does one get the opportunity to go to club 33? I'd love to see if it's in the budget or even possible?
You have to be a member or be invited as the guest of a member. My DH has a work colleague who invited us to go the next time we're at DL, but it's the sort of thing with the person's membership where only DH & his family are allowed to go without the member present. If we wanted friends to go with us as well, then the member would have to go also. The member told us that the reservations tend to book up rather far in advance, so we are supposed to give the person the range of dates that we will be there and the member has to call the Club 33 reservations and whichever date & time we get is what you get.

We have changed out accommodations a bit....

We're doing:
  • Seal Beach Hampton Inn Nov 25-27
  • Homewood Suites Convention Center in Anaheim Nov 27-Nov 30
  • Nov 30-Dec 1 Paradise Pier club level but on the waiting list for the GCV
  • Dec 1-3 GCV
  • Dec 3 back to Seal Beach....

I know I am bananas with the split stays.

It's a first trip/likely only trip for many years and I struggled with where to stay! We finally landed at Paradise Pier because:

1. I found very few king rooms offsite (mostly double/double, which don't work for us)
2. There was just a $40/night difference between my final offsite choice and Paradise Pier
3. We wanted a nice hotel to relax at - we knew park hours would likely be shorter (ie - time to fill)
4. Our trip lands during Dapper Days so we can participate in that and book a discounted room (<--major deciding factor)
5. We are only staying 3 nights

I really wanted DLH but that would have been $100/night difference between offsite and when you're coming from the east coast, and in CA for 11 days total, that added too much to the budget.

I hope we have a great first stay!!

We are staying at the Grand Californian. Just closed on a DVC contract last week and we are so excited. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa last October and loved it. -the kitchen, the washer/dryer, the location. The villas have their own elevators in their wing - we never waited more than a minute for an elevator.
Most of our trips have been at PPH, which I loved. The rooms are big and clean and fun. We had connecting rooms everytime since my mom and sister come along too. It's walkable but at night when you have to walk through the grand to get back to your hotel you really wished you were staying there and could cut off those last minutes of walking. Also the elevators get really crowded trying to get out for EMH (probably happens everywhere) we found you had to get an elevator going up in order to get on it and then ride down. Loved having our character breakfast and a restaurant right downstairs. We did club level there once and loved the breakfast and that the older kids could relax in the lounge midday and snack and have lunch while the toddler and baby (and a parent and grandma) napped in the rooms. But it was too hard to make it to the evening reception when we were at the hotel so much in the afternoon and they closed their lounge at 8. I believe the other hotels lounges are open till 10. We've never stayed at the DLH because the walk was longer and we had so many problems using the monorail to get into Disneyland at EMH but we do like that pool and Goofy's Kitchen is fun.
We've also stayed at homewood suites. The breakfast was great and we love having a full fridge. The room was quiet and clean but having to take the ART is a deal breaker for us - folding up a double stroller and having to worry about making it back for a shuttle for naptime . I once ran from paradise pier in DCA with my baby boy so that I could make the shuttle and could get the overtired babe to bed.
We also stayed at Hilton Anaheim near the convention center just me and DH. We thought it wouldn't be so bad to take the ART or walk a little bit farther as adults. Nope we still didn't like it. Waiting on a bus schedule is not our thing - especially when you're trying to see a show and think they'll get you back to DCA in time and it's the bus driver's break and you sit on the bus for an extra 15 min.
Now that we are DVC I'm not sure if we'll stay off park anytime soon. If we do if like to try HOJO or PVI.

Congrats and welcome home! :welcome: We really do miss the villas right now but this 1 nite stay in November is so short notice that at least we can still be on property! We are lucky to live close to DLR!!:cloud9: Enjoy your time at VGC!!!:flower3:

Congrats and welcome home!!

Congrats and welcome home! :welcome: We really do miss the villas right now but this 1 nite stay in November is so short notice that at least we can still be on property! We are lucky to live close to DLR!!:cloud9: Enjoy your time at VGC!!!:flower3:

Congrats and welcome home!!
Thanks I'm really excited. Now if Disney would hurry up and sent me my log in.
November is my FAVORITE time to go to DL. We would be going this fall if we didn't have a new baby. I am still really bummed we didn't schedule a trip in Nov now though little baby and all. So excited to call VGC my home.

Last edited:
Staying at Desert Inn & Suites for the first time and am a little nervous about it. We usually stay at Candy Cane Inn if we're not staying on property. But we have a larger group with young adults, so we need two bedrooms. Instead of two rooms at CCI, it was less expensive to get 2 bedroom suite at DI. It's closer, but I'm not sure if DI is as nice as CCI. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed at both. How does the cleanliness compare? the continental breakfasts?

Staying at Desert Inn & Suites for the first time and am a little nervous about it. We usually stay at Candy Cane Inn if we're not staying on property. But we have a larger group with young adults, so we need two bedrooms. Instead of two rooms at CCI, it was less expensive to get 2 bedroom suite at DI. It's closer, but I'm not sure if DI is as nice as CCI. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed at both. How does the cleanliness compare? the continental breakfasts?

on this blog the writer reviews both so you could make a comparison that way

I haven't stayed at the candy cane but my mom and sister have and they both gave it good reviews, but for me it just too far away. I am a single mom with a disabled child so my experience is different from theirs and what means more to me pound for pound is distance.

However I have stayed at Desert Inn many times and it is in my top 3 three for price, distance, and the breakfast. It works for me because:
1-It is not fancy but it is clean.
2- It's not the quietest but none of the rooms with doors that open to the outside are, and none of the places that are close enough for me have indoor hallways but the disney hotels and those are most often too expensive for me. And you can request a room at the back of the property and those are much quieter or you can get a parlor suite and close the door the leads to the tv room and that makes it quieter.
3.you can watch the fireworks from the viewing deck where they have tsbles and chair. we once picked up a pizza and sat up there and ate it while watching the fire works and it was a nice way to enjoy them stress free before heading to bed if youre not a late nighter.
4-I have always had good customer service.

Kindermouse - Awesome! Thanks for that information. Yes, we don't need fancy, so "not fancy, but clean" works well for us. I'll also check the reviews.

Has anyone stayed at the Anahiem Residence inn Maingate? Curious to see how others liked it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter