• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Where are you from?

We're from upstate NY...right in the middle of the state. We've flown and we've also driven a few times (20 hours plus)....very long trip...drove straight through Sept 15, 2001..(our flight was NOT going to go out due to restrictions that week). We don't have any really "cheap" fares...especially when you have 6 people going. I agree that it is frustrating to drive when you "waste" a day at the beginning and end AND you are totally exhausted from the drive when you get home....
Only a few more days and we'll be there!!

::yes:: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc ::yes::

Connecticut here although we are pondering moving to St Petersburg, Fl. I would love to be closer to Disney......fun.......

we always fly but are thinking of buying a large RV to drive down and stay at Ft Wilderness......

Also from Connecticut - home of the Huskies - the 2004 Men's AND Women's Basketball champions!!!

Used to drive, but now we fly. Looking forward to the next time we drive though. Love to pack the cooler with sandwiches, drinks and snacks and take off! I bring all the magazines and books that I haven't read yet, and have a grand time. Of course my DH does all the driving, I just sit back and relax!! :hyper:

Daingerfield,TX about a 14 hour drive for us. Leaving the 17th of June!! Cant wait until we go. We love the drive! Besides my DH will not fly!

Southern, NJ, approximately a 16-hour drive. We've flown and driven, but last year we drove and this year, much to my DH's chagrin, we're driving again! He's been outnumbered by the three women in his life!!! Believe it or not, the kids really enjoy the drive!

I'm right near Detroit, Michigan.. we haven't been to Disney yet.. going in August/September.. we will be driving.. my fiance cannot fly due to heart problems.. but thankfully we love our road trips!!

From NYC. Like most other New Yorkers, I'd rather shoot myself than drive to FL. Obviously, we fly each time.

J.-

We're from Watertown, Wisconsin........... about 45 minutes west of Milwaukee. We drove down once, ( 2 days, with a stop overnight in Tenn.) but have flown down seven times since. To me it's worth the time saved ( 2 and 1/2 hours vs. 2 days = more time enjoying WDW!!) :D

Sunny :sunny: Southern CALIFORNIA! ~We ALWAYS Fly to WDW, but easily drive to DL! :teeth: There seems to be more East-Coasters posting/on the DIS. A "Poll" of East/West Coast would be interesting.

:wave2:

Alpharetta, GA here ... suburb north of Atlanta. We drive. 7-8 hours depending on how much traffic we hit trying to get through Atlanta.

We're from a little town about 30 mins north of Nashville, TN.
Left here 5/29 around 3:30 and after stopping once south of Atlanta and then again at the FL Welcome Center, we arrived in Orlando about 4:00 in the afternoon. Made for a very long day. We left Monday the 7th and went to Ormond Beach for 4 hrs of play in the sand and spent the night in Valdosta, GA. That helped break the trip up. Actually the drive wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Sure can't afford the airfare at $225 X 5 people plus a rental car!!!

Karen
aka TN Traveler

Well, I'm FROM Massachusetts originally but have lived in Louisiana for a LONG time. We have only driven to WDW once and flown the rest. On the one trip we drove we borrowed my mom's Towncar for the roomy back seat for the kids. She forgot to tell me (since she only goes to Walmart and back and never uses it) that the radio was broken. No vcr, dvd, radio, just the 5 of US. We live in the northwest part of the state so it is a 14 hour drive. Only a few hours into the trip the air conditioning broke and we never did get that repaired until we got back home. The trip there was bearable but it's never fun coming home anyway and it was awful. I thought about opening my door and bailing ship about the time we got to Lafayette on our return trip. I am now trying to talk dh (I'm almost there) into driving another 14 or 15 hours to stay with my brother north of Jacksonville and taking a couple of days in WDW next month. Wish me luck. He is in outside sales and drives all the time - he drove 6 hours one way to south La. today on business. He doesn't like using vacation time to drive but how can he resist getting away for a few days right wink wink? Now, if I could only get a minivan or something to travel in - I guess I'd better not push it lol!

Epcotgal8
I certainly feel for you on that 14 hr drive. Same here from Nashville. Have you thought about renting a mini-van from your local car rental company? You can shop online for discounts through Budget, Avis, Alamo, National etc. Also if you can get an
Entertainment book there are many discounts available in there. A former co-worker uses her E-book and gets better prices through it than she can get using her Travel Agent discounts.
Make sure you get unlimited mileage if you do it tho. Also check w/your own comapny car insurance and make sure it covers rental vehicles.
Good luck to you!! If you need any other suggestions, feel free to email me!
Karen

North Carolina. Just west of Charlotte. We have a 9.5 hour drive and usually stop half way to spend the night since DH is the only one driving. Would love to fly (only 1.5 hours) but it's just too expensive for this family of four!:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

From Indiana. We just returned from WDW Sunday and we drove...16 hours. Not exactly "fun" with a cranky 19 month old but I am scared to fly (did it once-probably won't do it again) so our car is the only way we'll be able to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter