When in doubt, feed the bear....but not that!!!Day 6- Last day blues

Poolrat

I am alive, sometimes I wonder too.
Hi and welcome to another TR from Poolrat. This is my third TR. The other two TR’s can be found in my signature.
I am Pat. Pat the Poolrat, not only here but at home too since I work in aquatics. I was the kid who was always at the pool just hanging out. When I was old enough I got a got a job there, guarding, coaching teaching swim lessons you name it. Hanging around the pool earned me the name Poolrat, along with my friends.
This trip was my first ever DVC trip. I purchased in Aug. and by the time the points were available, there was nothing left to book for my last Late Sept/Oct Trip. However, after a waitlist or 3 and a bit of confusion when it came through( they did not cancel one of my other reservations) I was booked. Trip dates were 12/29- 1/3. My DS Chris came with me this time. I was able to book SSR from 12/29 – 1/1 and AKL – Jambo with a savannah view from 1/1- 1/3. These were both new resorts for me. That will play a part later.

I'm here! I really enjoyed your last report, can't wait for this one!!

Morning of Dec 29th – Up early and to make the drive to Greenville SC. Why Greenville? Well they have Southwest and that was quickly becoming my airline of choice. SC also has cheap gas so I let my tank go pretty low so I could fill up on the way. The last time I went to Greenville I found a Walmart with cheap gas, and a McDonalds right across the street. That would be perfect for us.

In theory.

I have no idea what made me panic looking for this gas station but I got off the interstate 3 times. Once in NC. :laughing: I needed to look for a Murphy gas from the hwy and I got off when I saw Marathon. :confused:
Finally my gas light is on and trip gauge says 9 miles until empty. :scared:
I pass an exit with gas determined to get off the next one and then it happens…

We stop

In traffic…

Talk about panic. Not only that but we are hungry and I have to use the bathroom.

Thankfully it was a short slow down, apparently a Direct TV truck lost something in the road and was cleaning up.

The next exit brings us to Mr. Waffle. I pull off and right into the gas station. I mean right into the gas station – the off ramp becomes a 2 lane road 10 feet after leaving the hwy. I put in $6 in gas ( yes I still hoping for the Walmart) and run inside to use the facilities. I hear Patti from the Simpsons speak to someone in her hoarse voice and let out a coughing fit that I hear until I get inside the bathroom. I will say the bathroom is clean.
Why am I not surprised?

I am all done and we get ready to get back out on the road. Unfortunately, the easier way back on is to really go back the way I came. That is not an option. So we brave forward. As soon as I crest a small hill I see the road curve towards the right, and towards the left…

A ramp back on the hwy. This was a small service road that basically had Mr. Waffle on it. Only in SC. :laughing:

We continue on our way and make it to the airport. Problem with that was …. No food.
The title will now make sense. When in doubt, feed my son. Always. He is a bear otherwise so I had to get him food.

We check in at the airport and go upstairs. Since it is about 8 am, not too many people around. There is a sit down restaurant but it was empty, not sure if they were serving or not.
A nice waiting area before security.

PC295904.jpg

I wonder if looks like the kids are skating if the water ever freezes over?

PC295905.jpg

PC295906.jpg

But we were still hungry and someone was already growling.
We go through security and then upstairs again. There is a quick counter right there. In hindsight I should have asked for something else but all I saw on the menu was a bacon, egg and cheese wrap. I get 2. Almost $12 later the food is ready.

Somehow the lady made breakfast burritos. So not what I ordered. I open them up and try to just eat the eggs. Chris won’t even touch his. After a few bites, I stop too. It was just disgusting.

Trying to work my way past this bump, we head to the kiosk. Chris picks out 2 bags of peanut M&Ms and get fruit chews. Great breakfast huh?
The bill for those was another $13. :eek:

While we wait, I try to get on the internet. Nothing. For some reason I cannot connect. I finally give up.

I am trying to relax and not all of this bother me. Trying.

The plane pulls in to gate A3. After a few moments there is an announcement. They are having trouble with the jetway and are going to move the plane over 1 gate. I guess I am not the only one having a rough morning.

We board and take off without incident. We still land on time and by 12:15 we are on the faux monorail.

PC295907.jpg

PC295908.jpg

It does not take long for this to happen.

PC295909.jpg

Yes he is ahead again, but at least waiting. I have the carryon and cannot run down the escalator.

Sorry for the blur but I guess I was rushed

PC295910.jpg

We are greeted with a Mears bus but we still got the movie.

PC295911.jpg

It was here I remembered to change the time on my camera. It was still on DST.

Our Driver- I will not type it this time so I can’t get it wrong.

PC295912.jpg

Our ride was unremarkable- not great but not bad either. I guess that would be the definition of unremarkable.

Just before 1pm we are crossing onto Disney Property.

PC295913.jpg

One too far and one a little too close.

PC295914.jpg

1st stop Old Key West

PC295915.jpg

PC295916.jpg

PC295917.jpg

PC295918.jpg

My first Welcome Home

PC295919.jpg

Finally

PC295920.jpg

PC295921.jpg

Sorry these are so blurry, I guess I was excited, or chasing the boy.

We stayed at SSR the first time we stayed DVC as well and we really loved it. We stayed at Boardwalk the second time and ur next will be AKL, so I am looking forward to seeing your photos from there.

Hello! :goodvibes And on page one, too!

Glad you got off to a rather unremarkable start...not a bad thing, at all! I recently found out I'm going back in April and staying at SSR, so I'm looking forward to your pictures.

I'm here. Oh no, is Chris going to be leading the way this trip!!! :rotfl2:

Great start. I can't wait to see Saratoga Springs. We have never stayed there.

Pat is that two trips in one year with Chris? He must have really had a great time with you last trip. I hope you both had a great vacation.

Thanks for the heads-up that you started.

I am already laughing :rotfl: Seriously, how could your morning go so wrong? How far is your drive to Greenville and what happened to the Walmart? I actually didn't know Walmarts had gas stations.

Those fountains with the kids "skating" are interesting, to say the least.

Breakfast sounds horrible. Thank goodness it was a short flight.

I never managed to get a picture of the entrance to OKW the whole time I was there.

Yeah - SSR! Hope you liked it!

oh man, what a rough morning, I felt my blood pressure go up just reading about it. Hope you get some real food soon now that you are "home"

:goodvibes

This is why I love to arrive at MCO in the daytime. Love that sun shining through! The atmosphere is not nearly as exciting on the nighttime arrivals.

I saw these several times from the buses, but was never quick enough to remember to pull the camera out. I am glad you got a shot of them.

I am here! Some of those exits between us and Greeneville are a little scary. I have never flown out of Greeneville before. I fly a lot for business, but very little for pleasure, so really don't shop around airports/fares. Great start!!!!!

Thanks everyone for joining in. I will do proper eplies when I get home. 1st day back at work and well I was busy but caught up ! Now to get on witha ll the new stuff I need to do.

Wanted to share a link. A time lapse of Fantasyland contstuction.

Time lapse of the New Fantasyland

Another one of the new DUmbo ride in testing
New Dumbo

ANyone going over Presidents weekend? That is the expected Open date for Dumbo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter