When did Mickey Ice Cream Bars change?

OP, as I read your description of the old bar, memories of being a kid walking around at night in Epcot and the MK with a light stick and a Mickey bar swam to the surface. So fun. Thanks. Btw that was '90 and '92. So they probably changed sometime after that, as others have noted.

I went to MK in 1990 and I definitely remember the older version with chocolate ice cream ears. And the Popsicles.

So not a restaurant question but it's about food. So now a days the Mickey Mouse ice cream bars are Mickey Mouse shaped vanilla ice cream completely covered in chocolate, like a Mickey Klondike bar. Well back when I was just a wee lad, in the 90's, I distinctly remember them being a mix of both vanilla ice cream with chocolate ice cream making the eyes, nose and mouth. I remember the ears being brown too, not sure if the ears were covered or if they were chocolate ice cream and then the back was the Klondike style chocolate.

So my question is, when did they switch to the style they use today?

I remember eating what you described, but not in the parks, at school with my lunch.

The new ice cream bars are better than the old ones. My kids know the joke: I will eat at least on "Mickey Premium" every day I'm at the park. We're going in three weeks and my daughter is already talking about it. ...and I'm looking forward to it! :mickeybar

The Mickey Parade pops were my favorite as a kid. I can almost taste them!
I remember those! In elementary school we had an ice cream chest you could get tokens for and whenever I got a token I picked a Mickey bar! I also loved the popsicles that were shaped like 3D Disney characters.

tumblr_kyq7p6irpl1qb3mmfo1_400.jpg

I remember those but not from WDW. My mom would buy them sometimes when I was a kid. The first time I went to Disney in the late 90s I was a teen and the new bars were there then. They have been there a while.

I remember the old Mickey Bars, but I cannot remember if I ate one at WDW. I know I would have preferred this to the current one. I have never liked ice cream that is totally coated in the hard chocolate. I always end up pulling it off and throwing it away.

I am 100% certain that the current ones were around in September 1999...I spent 15 years dreaming about those delicious ice creams!

Those old Mickey Bars were made by Good Humor and could be found in the parks, a number of stores and neighborhood ice cream trucks. Nestle's, the maker of the current bar, took over the park contract sometime in the early to mid 1990's but the Good Humor bars could still be found for some time thereafter in some stores and neighborhood trucks. I have seen reports that they were avaialble at Walmart's occassionally until as late as 2007 but I cannot verify that. The colored character-shaped popsicles were also Good Humor bars and changed after Nestle's took over.

Last edited:
I know they had the new style in 1993 because I have a picture of my son eating one. He had just turned 3.

A nagging issue solved! All the trips I have taken with my kids have included a vague sense that something was not quite right with the Mickey bar. I thought I had imagined the old style!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter