When did Mickey Ice Cream Bars change?

This one?

mickey.jpg

Wasn't this just in stores?
I loved this in middle school and high school. I knew the ears were just dipped because I'd break them off and be able to hold them in my fingers when I ate them!

I remember those! In elementary school we had an ice cream chest you could get tokens for and whenever I got a token I picked a Mickey bar! I also loved the popsicles that were shaped like 3D Disney characters.

tumblr_kyq7p6irpl1qb3mmfo1_400.jpg
Nostalgic! These remind me of my middle school days!

I remember those! In elementary school we had an ice cream chest you could get tokens for and whenever I got a token I picked a Mickey bar! I also loved the popsicles that were shaped like 3D Disney characters.

Oh, I had completely forgotten about those! I loved them as a kid! I used to go to the (only!) store in our small town and get either a Mickey ice cream bar or one of these Popsicles and a Yoohoo or Whistle orange soda in a glass (gasp!) bottle.
I so miss sodas made with real sugar in glass bottles too! ::yes::

I would guess it has been 20 years ago. The older sons remember the old style the younger one does not, and he is 25. For my part, I LOVE the current dipped style, always have at least a couple each trip!

Yeah I loved the old style ones but don't care for the new style. I like the chocolate ice cream but don't like the klondike bar style treats.

In April I had a CM in Tomorrowland jokingly refuse to sell me one because I asked for an "Ear" bar. He said it offended the "boss mouse" and should be referred to as "premium ice cream bar" instead. I bet he would know the backstory on the change in the ice cream shape... He was pretty passionate.

Ice Cream Nazi!?! Who knew?

Whoa. I had forgotten all about these, but nostalgia hit me right in the face when I saw the picture. I can't remember exactly where or when I had them. I'm guessing they were around when I was very young, maybe too young to form a solid memory, but they definitely strike a chord.

I never had the old style, but it may be a cost cutting measure. Seems like everyone is trying to cut costs somehow. Which is sad.

I remember the old style mickey bars! I preferred them too. I think they disappeared in the very late 80s. Very sad :-(

I remember the old ones, they were great. I also remember seeing them in the grocery store. I still have a wrapper from the disney bar.

I definitely remember the old style Mickey bars. I thought the ears were dipped in chocolate, but I could be wrong. They were definitely in the parks, that was the only place I ever had one as a child. I like the new ones better, though.

I miss the old style as well! They had just the right amount of dipped chocolate on the ears. The current bars are so messy and the chocolate gets everywhere.

The last time I bought a box was around 2006-2007 at Wal-Mart. Not all Wal-Marts sold them, so it was like hitting the jack pot when I was able to find them. I believe I read that they no longer make them and you can only find Mickey bars in the parks now.

To answer the original question - sponsorship. Anything sold in Disney is via a sponsor. Remember when Town Square was sponsored by Hormel and had barbecue food? We used to love the ribs, pork chops and baked beans there.

OMG those were the best!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter