When did Easter turn into a gift giving holiday?

We do Easter big...BIG...here. It is when I get DD all new Spring & Summer outside toys...sandbox toys, swimsuits, workbooks, bubbles, pool toys, sandals, chalk, kite, hula hoop, jump ropes, etc etc etc. I'm in no way shape or form ashamed to say that I've easily spent $200 (with getting things on sale/using coupons, etc) on Easter for her. Why? Because it's my money, my bills are paid, my kid isn't spoiled rotten, and we can afford it. We don't drink, smoke, do drugs...we spend our money treating ourselves to some of the finer things in life.

DD is 6 yrs old and gives more to charity than most adults I know. If me buying her a few more toys than most other kids get is doing damage, it surely doesn't show. She takes very good care of her stuff, donates toys she no longer plays with, and shares without being asked.

Plus, the candy aspect...she doesn't need all of that junk. She gets a few pieces of candy...peeps, a bunny...nothing major. I spend $10 at the most on the candy. I say to each their own, and if it isn't effecting you or happening under your roof, then whats it matter?

I don't exactly remember what all was in DD basket last year, I'm know it wasn't much because she was only one, but she hauled the $2 easter basket I put her stuff in from April until about a month ago. She would use it to take her toys from one place to another. I will be sure to get her another $2 basket this year

When my sons were little we got into the habit of each one getting a basket with just candy and little stuff (spent very little) and one outside play thing for them together--volleyball set, horseshoes set, something like that.

When dd came along, after a few years it was just her but I did the same thing. One year she did get a bike but that was the only year we really did "big". Now that she is older and not into easter egg hunts, I like to spend the money on a family outing instead. We usually go to NOLA for the day.

Now we have the dgds so we will do our family outing on Saturday and I will have baskets for them (and one for dd, but just candy and a few beach items). I like to do bubbles, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk and other small things to play outside with.

I hate junk toys with a passion...stuffed animals, little lego sets, anything cheaply made and plastic. Blech. No matter how discounted I can get it - it's still a waste of money.

So, my kids get a chocolate bunny, some other random candy, and usually a DVD or CD.

My boys have December birthdays, so Easter gives me an excuse to buy them some gifts later in the year. We don't really buy them anything other than clothes or shoes during other times of the year.

Plus, like others have mentioned, I don't like buying cheap junk that will get thrown out after a few days. I also don't buy them a bunch of candy, which is what my parents always did for me...

My boys will be getting Disney gift cards for our upcoming trip, some lego minifigures, 1 game each, a Chocolate bunny, and we will put coins and some dollar bills in the plastic eggs. That is all I bought so far, but I still have shopping to do.

When I was little, I got TONS of candy. One year, I got a fishing rod. I never wanted to do the big basket of candy with DD, so I went for little toys instead. It was more expensive from the get-go, but I don't buy her a lot during non-holiday time. Plus, once you start, you can't really go smaller. I always make sure there are a couple of fun things, a couple of eggs filled with candy, and then some practical things - new flip flops, sunglasses, etc. that she will use through the spring and summer.

Hopefully, the Easter Bunny will do better than the tooth fairy did last night. Silly fairy apparently couldn't find the tooth since it wasn't in its normal spot. :rolleyes1

DD is 9 and still believes. She asked about the Bunny during the Easter service 2 years ago, but I couldn't do any explaining just then and whispered that we could talk later. That same year, Santa somehow managed to bring her presents to the hotel room at Coronado Springs, and that pretty much cemented belief for a while...after all, how would mom and dad have managed to get all those presents on the plane? I keep thinking she'll ask again soon, and I'll have to come clean, but then again, I still haven't told my mom what I know...

I don't go overboard either. Maybe $10 per basket. I buy Easter stuff on clearance for 70% off the year before and put it up for the following year. My mother will probably buy a DVD or itunes for my kids. I buy just a chocolate bunny or something sweet for the nieces/nephew. About $2 or 3 each.

My kids will be getting candy... but it isn't fair to leave it at that. It is really expensive candy because DS is allergic to pretty much anything you can buy at a regular store. It also means that candy is a huge thing. I could hide behind "just doing candy", but the reality is that these stupid easter baskets are probably going to run in the $75/piece range. I can't give anybody candy he can't have because DD has a learning disability and sharing is too natural for her. At least I don't have to give the baby one yet. He will be one but can't eat even the "safe" candy.

Disclosure: This post isn't directed toward anyone in particular, and I mean no offense. :)

On this message board and a couple of others I frequent, I've been seeing the question being asked regarding what to put in Easter baskets. I've been a little surprised to see some of the items on people's lists, because they are items that I personally would consider more in the price range of a birthday gift, Christmas gift, etc. (Just a few examples of items I've seen mentioned: video games, DVD's, a "few" gift cards of $5 to $10 each, clothing, bicycles, etc.)

I guess our family isn't the norm, because we've never done expensive Easter baskets. I spend approximately $15-$20 each for my college age son, and my toddler age daughter. DS is getting beef jerky and Slim Jims (his favorites), a chocolate bunny, and a few candy bars. DD is a toddler, so I don't want her having a bunch of candy. She is getting a small stuffed bunny, an Elmo book, sidewalk chalk and sunglasses from the dollar store, a small chocolate bunny, a small pack of lollipops, and I bought M&M's and jelly beans to put inside plastic eggs.

How about you? Do you do expensive Easter baskets for your kids, or do you keep it more low key like my family does?

We've been going to visit relatives the past few Easters or I will usually put something in they can use on vacation or the car ride home. I would have probably bought some of the stuff anyway but putting it in the baskets is just easier and cheaper in the long run.

Denise in MI

DD is 9 and still believes. She asked about the Bunny during the Easter service 2 years ago, but I couldn't do any explaining just then and whispered that we could talk later. That same year, Santa somehow managed to bring her presents to the hotel room at Coronado Springs, and that pretty much cemented belief for a while...after all, how would mom and dad have managed to get all those presents on the plane? I keep thinking she'll ask again soon, and I'll have to come clean, but then again, I still haven't told my mom what I know...

DD11 knows "the secret" now, but she still hasn't figured out how Santa managed to leave all those presents under our tree at home when we were half a country away at Grandma's house ;) (Santa would bring a few small things to Grandma's but leave all the big presents for her at our house - he would leave pictures of the setup though for her to get an idea of what she got LOL) And no, it didn't involve anything like friends going into the house while we were gone - I managed to pull it all off all by myself without her EVER being the wiser - even when she was 9 and 10 :rolleyes1

My brother and sister-in-law were so good at the Santa thing that my nephew at 13 was overheard trying to convince his 10 year old brother that Santa just HAD to be real because there's no way Mom and Dad could have pulled off x and y and z LOL

Easter was always the big family reunion gathering when I was growing up, and since Lent was taken seriously, EVERYONE got candy. We didn't do the Bunny, however; it was understood that the goods came from family members.

Our baskets are pure candy, whatever is the kids favorite, though I might toss in one sort of disposable toy. Not a huge amount of candy, and they know better than to gorge themselves on it. Adults get a gift bag with their favorite kinds, too. Last year I did put little balsa glider plane kits in the baskets and we all had fun seeing who could fly one the furthest.

my dd12 has braces this year. She never has been a big candy kid. So this year she will get a few of her favorite candy bars and a cd.

As a kid I had only candy in my basket and never was less than thrilled. Candy was a gift as we did not eat any except for holidays. I can still remember the birds nests with jelly beans, strawberry cream eggs, the chocolate bunnies and white chocolate lambs. I know my kids are just as thrilled at theirs no matter what I put in it. Add the basket, egg hunt, church in their Easter best and dinner with family and you have one of our favorite holidays.

Basically, each year can vary at what else they will find in their baskets. We do like to put something extra in as we do not buy them toys except for bdays and holidays.

I do understand how Easter is becoming more and more commercialized and consumer based year after year. Easter candy, etc is set out at the stores earlier and earlier (Christmas!!) and there is more and more to choose from. It can get overwhelming and that of course is the last thing we want-stress about another holiday!

I got gifts growing up. I don't see the big deal? We got gifts at Christmas and Easter plus our birthday, so its not like we were spolied. We didn't get things just for fun during the year so I got them then.

My kids will be getting video games, candy and some new t-shirts with fun sayings on them.

Still only spending less then $25 a basket, with candy......

This year we're doing more "stuff" than candy. I didn't spend much on the stuff. I bought ds a soccer ball, the dds are getting a $10 barbie set a piece. I threw in some gum, stickers, simple stuff.

The problem we have is the amount of candy that comes in with the grandparents. I think they are competing with each other because our kids are the only grandkids (dh and I are only children). They bring in truck loads of candy my kids don't need. After 6 months I toss it. They literally bring in their own baskets of candy. It's generous but what's the point of the Easter bunny?

Growing up, my sister and I always received a basket of candy and a new kite. Then we'd go to the park that day and fly kites. It's always been one of my favorite childhood memories.

Last night I was looking through our local paper that comes once weekly (small town - lol) and they had a Walmart sale paper in it. The ad said something about Walmart being "Your place for Easter gifts". I thought of this thread. :goodvibes

I bought all the candy for their baskets last week:

They each get a bunny, my son's cost about $16 with shipping since he is dairy allergic & I can't have him not have a bunny. They got jelly beans (I bought 2 bags since I am sure I will be eating some). A few eggs with some candy in it. The peep-cicle and I thought some other candy, not sure.

I do like to get them some outdoor toys, nothing pricey like a bike or trampoline or a pool...more like chalk, bubbles, different things that go up in the air-like balloons you blow up, rockets, etc...

They also have an egg hunt outside & I fill up all the eggs (I am talking about 200 for my 3 kids, yeah crazy!!) with one bag of candy (this year it is starburst, I think) & the rest with change. Usually bad me takes the change out of the disney fund money & tells the kids "this would be great to put in the Disney fund." They know the drill now. But I might splurge this year & use change that is not in that 'fund'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter