When did Easter turn into a gift giving holiday?

Since I don't spend alot on my kids when it is not a special occasion, I like to treat them for holidays.

Easter I spend about $60 for each of my daughters. Gift, candy and money in easter eggs.

Younger nieces and nephews $15 baskets.

I like to give something if I will be seeing a younger relative for the holiday.

It is different from my childhood but that is what I want to do. I would get a easter basket with a chocolate bunny and some candy and we would have to hunt for them. Wonderful memory.

But I like giving to my kids and since I dont spoil them the rest of the year. I say why not. My kids know not to expect things. My older daughter who just turned 20 told me I dont need to get her an easter basket or do St. Nicks(put candy in shoes). but I like to and it is a mother's and individuals perogative.

If I did not think it was appreciated or I did not enjoy doing it I would stop.

I think any tradition set by the family is sweet big or small. Each family can do their own thing that is why I love this country. Personal and Religious freedom, God Bless America.

I guess it mostly depends on the framework of the individual celebration, doesn't it? If the focus is on the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, then the basket is almost unnecessary, although not "wrong" in any sense. If the focus is on the renewal of the seasons, spring... then the basket can reflect that. Whatever works for your family or for whom you are doing the basket!

That's a part of it for us. We're not Christian but both DH & I were raised Christian, so Easter and Christmas are about celebrating family traditions rather than religious significance. And those "welcome to spring" toys like sidewalk chalk, bubbles, seeds for the two of my kids who garden with me, etc. are one of our traditions.

Well, I will be one of the few to admit I go overboard for holidays, Easter being one of them. Of course I also have to admit I do not buy my boys (13 & 10) stuff throughout the year "for no reason". The new hottest video game is released - put it on your Christmas list. Oh, you want more Itunes cards - you need to wait for your birthday. The only times they receive anything not necessary are for Christmas, their birthdays, & Easter - unless they use their own money, of course.

We do celebrate the reason for the holiday, it is not forgotten on us. But we also celebrate our family. It makes me happy to see my son's faces when they realize the surprise of what's inside their "baskets". They know they do not received a bunch of random stuff throughout the year (unless they pay for it themselves) so they appreciate it when they receive gifts on holidays or special occasions.

Now that being said, I have been known to fill their baskets with several video games, itunes cards, gift cards, or other assorted items they having been wishing for. This year they are getting new Speedo swim bags (they both swim competitively) with their names embroidered on them, and filled with a few candy items, new goggles, beach towels, and Beats earphones. They never really ask for much (I am very lucky for that!), but they have been saving for Beats, so I am surprising them - they have no idea. Of course, I am also using a few of their gift cards that they were saving for them to pay for half. They're crazy expensive and I will only agree to pay for half.

I hate spending money on a bunch of candy & junk because that's what is "supposed" to go in baskets. They never eat it and the junk is just that - junk. Now i just wish I could get my MIL to listen to that. She's of the thinking more is well..... more! A ton of candy, a few itunes cards, and so much of the junk stuff I could make baskets for all the neighborhood kids. She forgets that my kids are older now, not 4 & 7 yrs and most of what she puts in there (with the exception of the itunes) falls in this age catagory.

Well, I will be one of the few to admit I go overboard for holidays, Easter being one of them. Of course I also have to admit I do not buy my boys (13 & 10) stuff throughout the year "for no reason". The new hottest video game is released - put it on your Christmas list. Oh, you want more Itunes cards - you need to wait for your birthday. The only times they receive anything not necessary are for Christmas, their birthdays, & Easter - unless they use their own money, of course.

We do celebrate the reason for the holiday, it is not forgotten on us. But we also celebrate our family. It makes me happy to see my son's faces when they realize the surprise of what's inside their "baskets". They know they do not received a bunch of random stuff throughout the year (unless they pay for it themselves) so they appreciate it when they receive gifts on holidays or special occasions.

Now that being said, I have been known to fill their baskets with several video games, itunes cards, gift cards, or other assorted items they having been wishing for. This year they are getting new Speedo swim bags (they both swim competitively) with their names embroidered on them, and filled with a few candy items, new goggles, beach towels, and Beats earphones. They never really ask for much (I am very lucky for that!), but they have been saving for Beats, so I am surprising them - they have no idea. Of course, I am also using a few of their gift cards that they were saving for them to pay for half. They're crazy expensive and I will only agree to pay for half.

I hate spending money on a bunch of candy & junk because that's what is "supposed" to go in baskets. They never eat it and the junk is just that - junk. Now i just wish I could get my MIL to listen to that. She's of the thinking more is well..... more! A ton of candy, a few itunes cards, and so much of the junk stuff I could make baskets for all the neighborhood kids. She forgets that my kids are older now, not 4 & 7 yrs and most of what she puts in there (with the exception of the itunes) falls in this age catagory.

Yes to all this....
I also don't do a lot of candy - a traditional chocolate bunny, a small row single row of Peeps (traditional junk candy from my youth):rotfl:, and maybe one or two other things I buy in a multipack and split up. I fill eggs with sugar free gum, etc. It is usually gone within a few days of Easter. I don't want it rotting their teeth (no cavities so far!!!). I also don't waste $$ on things they won't play with or will play with only for a few minutes....Legos are the favorite thing in my house right now...DD desperately wants those Friends Legos because she has watched her brothers play with their "boy" Legos for years...she collects Hello Kitty stuffed...she loves those Bizu things I posted...and she collects the Gomus. So, yes, all those things will get loved, adored, and used well by a 10.5 year old.

And yes, we also focus on the religious reasons behind Easter...and our family. I don't buy "fancy" special Easter clothes either...what they wear is usually something they already have (boys typically a solid polo and khaki shorts, dd usually has a dress of some kind that I bought because I liked it...and usually on clearance!).

We had small gifts, so did my husband. We are in our late 50's. Our son gets small gifts as well. Certainly NOT a bike but maybe an Itunes gift card and a DVD. I don't get him candy anymore because he doesn't eat it. I do. :)

I don't like my kids eating candy so I would rather buy something they can use.

Here too. I have one with an enamel problem and the dentist bill is bad enough. I have one with ADD and we try to limit the sugar.

We spend maybe $10-$15 on Easter baskets. Our older kids will get an Itunes giftcard and a chocolate bunny. The little kids usually get a chocolate bunny and then maybe sidewalk chalk, bubbles, jump ropes etc. I may skip the toys and give them a Disney giftcard for our trip instead.

I do a chocolate bunny, some smaller candies, and one larger ($25, maybe ) gift that is hidden and they have to find. last year we went on vacation for Easter so no bigger gift. I get the bigger gifts at other times throughout the year so they aren't so expensive.

My parents always did a basket for me growing up. We always went away the day after Easter, so my basket usually had one chocolate bunny plus some things to do in the car and a new outfit for the trip.

I will admit that the Easter Bunny still stops at our house. This year I am buying us "The Muppets" on DVD and a chocolate bunny each.

when i was a kid it varied, but yes people have been giving things like bikes, swingsets, nintendos for years for easter. im in my late 20s and there was a year that me and my brother both got bikes. but they were needed as we both had seriously outgrown the ones we had and we had them for years so it was worth it to my parents. other years i just got candy and things like sidewalk chalk and a gameboy game. birthdays/easter fell into the category of what is needed or really wanted so if we did not need a big gift we did not get one, just candy and we were fine with it. i also have to say some people did consider the big gifts we got at times spoiling us but we were also taught the value of investing it big ticket items and taking care of your things. i still have the stereo i got in HS as an xmas gift one year, its sitting in front of me as part of my entertainment system and will stay there until it no longer works.

everyone's family is different. i have friends who never got bikes for easter but their parents got them a car in HS when they started to drive. to each their own. :goodvibes

My kids get Easter baskets filled with great things they'll use and enjoy. Things like earbuds, nail polish, earrings, necklaces, dvd's, summer pj's, small hallow Godiva or Lindt chocolate bunny and gum. We keep the candy to a minimum. Easter eggs have non chocolate candy (gummies) and money in them.

My dd7 woke up St. Patrick's Day morning and asked why the leprechaun didn't bring her anything. She said kids at school get presents that morning. Not in our house.

We don't do Easter baskets at all. The kids already have more stuff than they can keep tidy and 3 chocolate bunnies around here would just go straight to my thighs! We do fill eggs with jelly beans or chocolate eggs or a quarter, etc., and do an egg hunt with the cousins but that is it. I try to keep Easter pretty low-key around here. Some of the basket ideas I've seen are pretty cool, though!

nope never received gifts in our baskets, just wonderful glorious delicious sweet candy ( we had a big big family so everything was counted..every jelly bean every robin egg lol ).
My kids never got Easter gifts either.

My kids get Easter baskets filled with great things they'll use and enjoy. Things like earbuds, nail polish, earrings, necklaces, dvd's, summer pj's, small hallow Godiva or Lindt chocolate bunny and gum. We keep the candy to a minimum. Easter eggs have non chocolate candy (gummies) and money in them.

My dd7 woke up St. Patrick's Day morning and asked why the leprechaun didn't bring her anything. She said kids at school get presents that morning. Not in our house.

This made me laugh b/c my DD mentioned that she wondered if the leprechaun was going to bring her anything, too! Ha ha...

I have to admit, however, that she still anxiously awaits the arrival of Cupid on the eve of Valentine's day! Hey, it's the occassion for love, and how can I resist spreading a little love to my DD on that day? This year she got a 2 lb. heart of candy...but we all enjoyed that!!!

Nah, they don't *expect* anything...they aren't raised that way at all. They never ask for anything...and are always grateful for what they get. Seriously, these are the kind of kids that have saved every cent they have received to have spending money on our trip this year including their pressed penny $$. When they thought they had enough in their banks, I've caught them putting money in my change jar. These are the kind of kids that cry tears of joy when you take them to see Star Wars Episode I in 3D..even though they own the blu-ray. I work my butt of to make sure they are grounded, loving, and thankful for what they have. :lovestruc So, no offense, but I know my kids...you do not.

I anticipate only a few more years of this anyway...once the "cat is outta the bag" on the Easter bunny...they'll get a chocolate bunny and a stuffed animal or something like that like my mom did when I "knew the truth". They aren't going to play with Legos or toys in a few years anyway.

I take it back. They *expect* to color eggs the day before Easter as a family as we always have. But, I'll take that expectation any day. :lovestruc And yes, I can make $30 look like a big deal. I'm creative, a super sale shopper, and crafty that way. :)

No offense but do your kids at 9 and 10 really believe in the Easter bunny? If they do, I don't think you have a few years left.

No offense but do your kids at 9 and 10 really believe in the Easter bunny? If they do, I don't think you have a few years left.

Yep. They are sweet and innocent little things. :) I imagine the 9 year old will believe quite a bit longer. He has some disabilities.

Mine is 9 and still believes. I do nice baskets around $25-$30 - all bought on clearance. I found a WII game online he wanted for 10 and that included shipping. I bought a computer game to practice academic skills with higher order thinking games tied in great for review this summer when out of school 7 including shippng. The rest is book he wanted and some small lego packs on clearance after Christmas, pack of pokemon cards and chocolate bunny. I buy things all during the year and stick them back for birthday, Christmas etc.

Yeah, while I do a bigger Easter basket, I never did the whole leprechaun thing. When my daughter was younger and asked about how come they visited some of the kids at school but not her, I just told her the cat must have chased them away :rotfl:

Well, let me start off by saying that the Easter Bunny sent us a note a few years ago asking if he could drop off DD's basket on Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning. He knows we are very busy on Sunday with sunrise services and dinner with relatives. He wants DD to have time to enjoy her basket. Also, he has a lot of houses to visit and doesn't have a sleigh like Santa to help with speed.

My DD's basket is going to include a little bit of candy, probably a bunny and some gold coins. The Easter bunny also ordered some of DD's favorite girl scout cookies from me so those will be in her basket. She will also get a DS game that I intended to give her for Christmas, but forgot. Oops! I don't know what else, if anything, I will include. I hate that little junky crap though so it won't be any of that.

OP, my mom and dad started putting gifts in our Easter baskets in the 1960s so this is nothing new for our family. I received jewelry, clothing, trips, etc as did my 4 brothers. The first year this happened, I was surprised but very happy. My three children have never liked candy that much so they've received stuff for the pool or we've taken them on trips, or bought them clothes.
Yikes, I've turned into my mother!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter