When are you going to visit Aulani??

Hi, kind of OT, but I was wondering if you can share which Armed Forces lodging is best beach-side? We are thinking of staying at Aulani for a few days, and then staying at one of the military places on the beach for a few days.

TIA!!

Sure! My personal favorite is Bellows. We've tent camped there and stayed in the cabins there. Windward side of the island. (prettiest side!)
http://bellowsafs.com/Default.asp

Hale Koa is a nice option, on the beach in Waikiki. We've stayed there many times, we love the Barefoot bar!
http://www.halekoa.com/index.cfm

Kaneohe Marine base has cabanas on the water, on the windward side.
http://www.mccshawaii.com/cabanas.htm

Navy's beach cabins, not far from Aulani. I can't get the link to work right now, but it's www.greatlifehawaii.com and I think it's under recreation? They are the White Plains Beach cottages.

Also, Army has cabins, not far from Aulani.
http://mwrarmyhawaii.com/lodging/parc

The question will be on what there is to do - we scuba dive - will there be dive sites and dive operators close by? If not we will stay less days. We want to see Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Center - how far away are these - would it be practical to do while staying at Aulani? What other activites will there be for adults? I have 11 months to figure it out.

Honestly, O'ahu has the most to do of all the islands I think. It's not necessarily the "prettiest" because it's so built up but in terms of activities,etc it has so much. There is nightlife on O'ahu, something the other islands lack. O'ahu keeps us busy! We've also been to Maui (2x) and Big Island (3x) but haven't been to Kauai yet.

Pearl Harbor (USS Arizona, USS Missouri, USS Bowfin, Pacific Aviation Museum,etc) is approx 20-30 min drive, depending on traffic. Straight shot on the H1. Aulani is located where the H1 ends, so it's easy to get on/off the highway.

The Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie is probably closer to an hour, if not more. You'd take the H1 to the H3 and then follow Kamehameha Hwy up towards Laie, unless you want the scenic route>

I don't dive, but diving is big here. I do snorkel though, and there are lots of awesome snorkeling spots.

Sure! My personal favorite is Bellows. We've tent camped there and stayed in the cabins there. Windward side of the island. (prettiest side!)
http://bellowsafs.com/Default.asp

Hale Koa is a nice option, on the beach in Waikiki. We've stayed there many times, we love the Barefoot bar!
http://www.halekoa.com/index.cfm

Kaneohe Marine base has cabanas on the water, on the windward side.
http://www.mccshawaii.com/cabanas.htm

Navy's beach cabins, not far from Aulani. I can't get the link to work right now, but it's www.greatlifehawaii.com and I think it's under recreation? They are the White Plains Beach cottages.

Also, Army has cabins, not far from Aulani.
http://mwrarmyhawaii.com/lodging/parc

Thank you so much for the info!! I've heard a lot about Hale Koa, but
would like to try something a bit more off the beaten track...sounds like Bellows might be just what we are looking for! :goodvibes

Thanks rparmfamily for the info. Sounds like it wouldn't be too bad to get around to see things. It seems like it has been about a 30 min drive to reach the harbors for diving from where we stayed on the other islands, so if Aulani is with about that distance, it wouldn't be bad at all.

Sounds like I need to start reading up on Oahu. Of course I still have 11 months before I can book, so I have plenty of time.:rotfl:

Is Disney pretty good about having all the amenties available when they open? The river, pools, restuarants, landscaping?

When I am going will be a few months after they open (depending on their definition of "Fall") and I want to make sure everything is done and open.

Looking at February 2012 if we're able to book at 7 mo. Having just returned from Hawaii, the desire to own there is really great. We'll be limited to 7 month availabilty for the few times we would go.

The plan is.. the entire family to celebrate our 20th anniversary.. in summer 2012!!!

Never unless there is a DCL cruise to HI. I think the points to go there are absolutely ridiculous. A min. of 18 points a night. I can get club level Sun-Thurs at AKV for less than that. For everyone enjoy. It does look like a great resort.

Right there with you.

The high points cost combined with the additional resort tax (and rumored daily parking fee even for members...was that ever debunked??) make it an unattractive option for us. I actually think I might be able to rent my points and get a better deal in that part of Hawaii (at least right now)...though I'll admit I haven't sat down and actually worked it out. Either way, it's " a bit too rich for my blood".

Now, if they DID add some sort of cruise component....that would make me take another look.

Right there with you.

The high points cost combined with the additional resort tax (and rumored daily parking fee even for members...was that ever debunked??) make it an unattractive option for us. I actually think I might be able to rent my points and get a better deal in that part of Hawaii (at least right now)...though I'll admit I haven't sat down and actually worked it out. Either way, it's " a bit too rich for my blood".

Now, if they DID add some sort of cruise component....that would make me take another look.

Having been to Hawaii several times I happen to think that the points at Aulani are quite reasonable so I just wanted to point out a couple of things. When I say this I am looking at a studio in July starting at 22 points / night which if rented @ $10 pp which is the average rental rate that would be equivalent to $220 / night which I would think is a pretty darned decent rate for ANY hotel in Hawaii - especially at such a deluxe resort. Sure, you can probably find some sort of room for under $200 / night but it won't be in a comparable type of property (ie in Waikiki, city view - which means another hotel 10' away, not a beach front property etc). BTW, I LOVE that they balanced the entire week & made every day of the week the same value - it makes trip planning so much easier - all days being equal should help eliminate some of the higher demand for the weekdays - especially for those of us trying to plan at 7 months.

OK, so first, aan1701 was comparing being in FL to a private beach in Hawaii. NOT the same thing at all IMHO. :rotfl:

Second, the going rate for a studio at VGC in July is 26 points per night S-Th and 32 points per night for the weekend. Does nobody see that as being a little "off" compared to Aulani at 22 per night??:confused3 A week at VGC would be 194 points while the same week at Aulani would start at 154 points. Heck, even the oceanview would only be 203 points. How can that be called unreasonable?! :confused3 When we plan our trip to Aulani & VGC it's going to cost us more to go to VGC than Hawaii. :scared1:

While I'm on the subject, a week in a MK studio at BLT in July would run 183 points. I just really don't see Aulani as being unreasonable in comparison. I think they're very comparable in cost.

Meanwhile, DVC can't even negotiate a decent trade for a hotel at DLP. The lowest point value for a regular hotel room in July is 38 points per night. For an inferior property. THAT would be MY biggest complaint - the absurd point values required for the other Disney destinations around the world. The points for Aulani are really reasonable IMO.

Right there with you.

In addition to the additional costs and points, we visited the resort in June (of course we could only see it over the construction fence) but decided we definately don't want to own there, and may not even stay there on points.

Our family loves Oahu, and I agree that there is probably the most variety of things to do on this island. We like the Polynesian Center, love Kuhlua (sp?) Ranch, Pearl Harbor, but most of all the beach, namely Waikiki Beach.

There is shopping, restaurants, parades, grocery stores, night clubs, theaters, and an ABC (convenience) store every block in the Waikiki area. However, Aulani is very isolated from this "action". The area immediately surrounding Aulani is more "desert-like" with the mountains being more barren as opposed to the rain forest mountains on the east side of the island.

The other huge thing that we don't like about Aulani is the ocean. The Ko 'olina resort area has 4 lagoons, that provide a tranquil swimming area from the ocean. This may be ideal for younger families, but my kids in their teens, hated this area as there is no real playing in the waves such as body boarding, surfing, or just floating on the waves in tubes. The lagoons are very mild, and the areas immediately surrounding the lagoons is rocky and not good for playing in the water. The way we saw it, you would need to drive to a beach to get true ocean waves.

That being said, the resort looked beautiful already in June, and the concept pictures I've seen are amazing. However, to us it is more of a destination resort where everything is self contained. If you want the variety of shopping, nightlife and entertainment, you need to be about 20 miles east in the Waikiki area.

In addition to the additional costs and points, we visited the resort in June (of course we could only see it over the construction fence) but decided we definately don't want to own there, and may not even stay there on points.

Our family loves Oahu, and I agree that there is probably the most variety of things to do on this island. We like the Polynesian Center, love Kuhlua (sp?) Ranch, Pearl Harbor, but most of all the beach, namely Waikiki Beach.

There is shopping, restaurants, parades, grocery stores, night clubs, theaters, and an ABC (convenience) store every block in the Waikiki area. However, Aulani is very isolated from this "action". The area immediately surrounding Aulani is more "desert-like" with the mountains being more barren as opposed to the rain forest mountains on the east side of the island.

The other huge thing that we don't like about Aulani is the ocean. The Ko 'olina resort area has 4 lagoons, that provide a tranquil swimming area from the ocean. This may be ideal for younger families, but my kids in their teens, hated this area as there is no real playing in the waves such as body boarding, surfing, or just floating on the waves in tubes. The lagoons are very mild, and the areas immediately surrounding the lagoons is rocky and not good for playing in the water. The way we saw it, you would need to drive to a beach to get true ocean waves.

That being said, the resort looked beautiful already in June, and the concept pictures I've seen are amazing. However, to us it is more of a destination resort where everything is self contained. If you want the variety of shopping, nightlife and entertainment, you need to be about 20 miles east in the Waikiki area.

I think that is the description and the point of a true resort. Aulani will be the destination in this case. It's like all of those places in Costa Rica or the Dominican Republic - you go for the resort and may venture into a city for an excursion or sightseeing. Waikiki Beach is in Honolulu - so it's a city with a famous beach (and personally I've never found the beach itself in Waikiki anything that special - it is full of little rocks and uncomfortable to walk on barefoot). The VIEW of Diamond Head is special of course and the sunsets are great...but it is still a highrise city. Aulani is being designed to be more of a relaxing type vacation with the option to go sightseeing if you want to.

2012 is our plan... from hawaii we're planning to head to Hong Kong for a couple of weeks before returning home

I think that is the description and the point of a true resort. Aulani will be the destination in this case. It's like all of those places in Costa Rica or the Dominican Republic - you go for the resort and may venture into a city for an excursion or sightseeing. Waikiki Beach is in Honolulu - so it's a city with a famous beach (and personally I've never found the beach itself in Waikiki anything that special - it is full of little rocks and uncomfortable to walk on barefoot). The VIEW of Diamond Head is special of course and the sunsets are great...but it is still a highrise city. Aulani is being designed to be more of a relaxing type vacation with the option to go sightseeing if you want to.

I partially agree. I guess my feeling is more that if I'm going to Hawaii, I want to see Hawaii. There just isn't much to see in the immediate proximity of Aulani.

The resort looks great, and if you are happy with spending a week at the resort that's fine. However, it is isolated enough that either you eat at the resort, or the only other option that's walking distance would be the 2 Marriott properties next door for dining. There is a new looking shopping center with dining somewhat close, but you would need a car or cab to get there.

Since there are no themeparks, or Disney transportation to get you anywhere, I hope that there are excursions that can be booked from the resort. That way you could easily see the island, but still be at a great resort for the times you don't want to venture out.

It's a little isolated, which is great for many, but we prefer a few more non-Disney options without needing to drive. From the hotel we stayed at in June we could be at Diamond Head in 5 minutes, at the entrance to a rain forest trail and waterfall in another 5, and on Tantalus Road heading to the top of the mountain in another 5 minutes.

Again, I'm not saying that Aulani is bad, it looks great. It's just a little more isolated than I'd like to see for easy touring. Anyone who has navigated the "famous" H1, H2, or H3 highways know that location is key when trying to get anywhere on Oahu.

I have no desire to ever go here. The cost of airfare and no parks make it very unattractive IMO!;) Thanks! April

We are looking at January 2012 as our visit. I used to live on Oahu and havent been back since 2004. I really cant wait to go!

August 2012, 624 days to be exact but who's counting. So excited to go. Looking forward to snorkeling, the beach and lagoon, Aulani Resort, Diamond Head and everything about the trip. Have a tons of research to do, but 624 days is a long time... I'll be ready. Getting my Disney time in January and in August 2011 so I'm OK with not seeing parks and excitement of WDW for 2012

MDM

I'll never go to Aulani- it's not a resort I'm even a tiny bit interested in visiting. I'm glad DVC has lots of options but we'll be opting out of this one.---Kathy

We are planning a trip to celebrate my husband's 60th b'day and my 40th in July 2012........but we will be booking at the 7 month mark so not sure how realistic it will be!!! Does anyone know how far in advance you can make cash reservations for Aulani?
What is the current opening date?
Debxx:)

I am hoping to snag a one bedroom (any view) at the seven month mark for October 2011 for my honeymoon. :love:

I will be keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

Kelly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter