Wheelchair Accessibility on the High Seas?

AgentSweet

Earning My Ears
Greetings and Salutations! My family of four is seriously considering taking a Disney Cruise (probably Fall 2017 time frame) but we've also never done anything like this and it has us all nervous. One of our main concerns is for my Mentally and Physically disabled sister. For the cruise we believe she'd spend nearly all of her time in her wheelchair. It's big and clunky (And Purple!) but can be broken down to fit inside of the average car trunk if absolutely necessary (it's not fun and takes about two minutes to break down or put pack together).

There's a multitude of questions, I'm not sure where to start.

I suppose first things first: Is it worth trying to get a wheelchair accessible room? We're concerned that the shower might be "roll in" and her wheelchair isn't waterproof, she takes baths, so a "shower only" situation would complicate things for us.

Also does anyone happen to know how wide the door frames are? We can get the wheelchair through the average bedroom door frame but there is some maneuvering in the process.

I was able to get some information but it was all specific to the Fantasy and Dream and since we're unsure which cruise we'll end up with, we'd like to have all our bases covered.

Also: My sister as epilepsy and so strobe lights make us nervous. Should we be concerned about the Pirate Party or any of the other shows/events?

Thank you all in advance for any help/tips you might be able to give me.

Just want to share my experience with a "transport" chair on the Disney Wonder...
  • hallways can get extremely challenging during embarkation and the night before debarkation when guest luggage is left outside the room.
  • the door lip getting inside and outside the ships can be tough to cross.
  • there's an electrical cover (a few inches tall) on some decks that makes it difficult to cross the ship from front to back in a chair.
We were in a regular room, not an accessible one. With a regular room, the door was too narrow for a wheelchair to enter, it needed to be folded.

I looked at a HA room on the Wonder (room host showed me). The HA rooms are configured differently. The door is wider. There is much more floor space. There are roll-in showers that have benches (don't know if that would work). I have read that all wheelchairs will need to be stored in the rooms. There is not enough room in a regular room for a wheelchair. Plus, I don't think there is enough room between the bed and the wall for the wheelchair to roll. (I might be wrong, but it felt tight for me walking).

:welcome:

DMIL had a handicapped room and it was so much easier to maneuver.

The water-tight doors do have a "lip" that are a pain. We found it easier to turn the chair around and pull it backwards over the lip, so the larger wheels went first.

When you decide on a cruising date, it's helpful to book as soon as the dates are available (roughly 18 mos in advance) so you'll have a better chance of the handicapped rooms being available.

Thank you all, I forgot to mention that the wheelchair is smaller than average (child size) but these are things to consider.

Door lips don't scare us, we've had years of practice to master things like that and street curbs. Room size is a thing to consider, from what I can tell the rooms are roughly the same size but I guess if they're configured differently it would would help.

The rooms that are not accessible would be small. Very tight with a chair inside. They use spot lights flashing back and forth towards the stage. It is not like a strobe effect though. If you go to you tube I am sure you can find videos of pirates night. I read the door width is 23 inches but then you have to take into account you loose over an inch when you open it. I use a wheelchair and we have looked at the non accessible rooms.

My daughter uses a rigid frame wheelchair and we have done 6 cruises with Disney (going on our next one in October!) For the most part we love the ship because of the accessibility. If her chair does not collapse, you will definitely want a ADA room. You will never fit a wc through the door. We started cruising when she was still a child and even that chair does not fit through the door. If you sister can walk, on Deck 6 (on the Wonder, not sure how it is on the other ships) there is a "parking" location for strollers, scooters etc and you may be able to put her chair there. The ada room does have a roll in shower, but they also have a bench she can sit on. There are no bath tubs in the ADA rooms that I am aware of. Overall the ship is easy to get around. There are a few areas where the threshold has a raised lip which can be challenging, but we either raise her anti-tippers or simply go use a different doorway. The stage shows don't really use strobe lights that I can think of. They have wc seating at the top of the theater and down at the bottom. I would recommend the top seating area as it is further away and if you need to leave, you are right next to the door. There are several companion restrooms around the ship, though not on every deck. The crew are wonderful with guests with disabilities which is one of the reasons we keep coming back to DCL. If you need transportation they will provide wheelchair accessible vehicles (at a cost of $45 per person), but it makes it very easy. At the muster drill, they have always let us go a little early so we don't get caught in the crowds and have a chance to get a elevator. I would highly recommend calling DCL and talk it through with them. They have always been wonderful and explain how they can assist you and your family. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Have a wonderful time!

It sounds like she maybe uses a powerchair instead of a typical manual folding chair, so ability to fold/move the chair into and around within the stateroom is a big consideration. As others have indicated, the "standard" stateroom doors are too narrow for a wheelchair to fit without folding it. Possibly a child-sized chair will fit, but once inside the door there is really nowhere to go in the chair. For most standard staterooms, you enter into a narrow hallway with the closets on one side and the bathroom(s) on the other, and you'll run into the queen bed very quickly. There is no space to roll a wheelchair past the queen bed, I don't believe even a child-sized chair could fit; the chair would need to be folded or lifted over the bed. And once beyond the bed in the "living room" area there still isn't really any space to use the wheelchair. If she can transfer and maneuver around the stateroom on her own, a regular stateroom may be an option. Interior staterooms are a slightly different layout with the living room area first and the queen bed at the end, so that might be another option; though you are still dealing with the narrow door from the hallway. I recommend an accessible stateroom; as mentioned the roll-in showers have a bench and the layout is completely different from standard staterooms, allowing movement within the room while using the chair.

My understanding is that no lighting effects in use onboard are truly "strobe" lights -- they either flash at variable intervals or slow enough flashes that should not cause seizures. I do suggest that you contact DCL's Special Services department and discuss any concerns. They likely will also have you complete the Special Services Information form regarding her needs onboard.

One tip -- you'll want to make your way to the muster station early for the drill on embarkation afternoon. Once the alarm sounds there will be no elevator access. In event of a true emergency, staff would assist in carrying her to the necessary muster location, but for the drill you will need to get her there early. And be aware it is VERY loud; if sounds bother her, bring earplugs or headphones that muffle sound.

You don't mention your sister's age. Would she be at all interested in any of the kids' activities? She can attend during Open House hours, even if it doesn't work out (or she is too old) for secured programming.

Enjoy your cruise!

One other thing...if your sister likes/loves characters (my daughter is a character fanatic pluto:) it is so much easier to see and interact with them on the ship vs the parks. They have scheduled times and places and the line is usually pretty orderly. They have ticketed meet and greets (free) for Elsa and Anna, and some others. You need to get the tickets once you are on board at Port Adventures desk in the lobby. This prevents big crowds and makes the experience more calm and enjoyable. One other thing, the ADA cabins book fast, so once you know which cruise you want, would recommend booking early rather than later. Have a wonderful time!

Thank you everyone for your advice. We will definitely be trying to get an ADA Cabin when we decide on our cruise.

Special Thanks for lanejudy and thumpie's mom for your extra advice, you both brought up points that we hadn't even thought of yet.

Greetings and Salutations! My family of four is seriously considering taking a Disney Cruise (probably Fall 2017 time frame) but we've also never done anything like this and it has us all nervous. One of our main concerns is for my Mentally and Physically disabled sister. For the cruise we believe she'd spend nearly all of her time in her wheelchair. It's big and clunky (And Purple!) but can be broken down to fit inside of the average car trunk if absolutely necessary (it's not fun and takes about two minutes to break down or put pack together).

There's a multitude of questions, I'm not sure where to start.

I suppose first things first: Is it worth trying to get a wheelchair accessible room? We're concerned that the shower might be "roll in" and her wheelchair isn't waterproof, she takes baths, so a "shower only" situation would complicate things for us.

Also does anyone happen to know how wide the door frames are? We can get the wheelchair through the average bedroom door frame but there is some maneuvering in the process.

I was able to get some information but it was all specific to the Fantasy and Dream and since we're unsure which cruise we'll end up with, we'd like to have all our bases covered.

Also: My sister as epilepsy and so strobe lights make us nervous. Should we be concerned about the Pirate Party or any of the other shows/events?

Thank you all in advance for any help/tips you might be able to give me.

I agree with the previous posts. my mom uses a motorized wheelchair/scooter and I couldn't imagine having my parents stay in a cabin that wasn't accessible. Especially if you're considering a smaller, inside stateroom, it would just be too tight for her, a companion and a chair. For example, the regular 11B inside stateroom is about 180sq ft. The 11B accessible room is about 300sq ft.

And yes, the bathrooms in the HA cabins I've seen on the Magic do NOT have bathtubs, but the bathroom is large enough for her to transfer from her chair to the bench in the shower, and her wheelchair would not get wet. I believe the shower has one of those heads on the hose thing (why can't I think of the proper terminology?!!) so if someone is helping her bathe, it would be relatively easy to manage.

Once on the ship, go to Guest Services, and they will give you a map of the whole ship showing all the accessible doors and bathrooms.

I don't remember any strobe lights during any shows, but I'm sure Guest Services can double check (especially in regard to the shows as some change for each sailing).

Have fun and keep us posted!!!

Thank you everyone for your advice. We will definitely be trying to get an ADA Cabin when we decide on our cruise.

Special Thanks for lanejudy and thumpie's mom for your extra advice, you both brought up points that we hadn't even thought of yet.
You are very welcome! I had a million questions before our first cruise and was very nervous about taking her on a ship, but it has worked out beautifully. Regarding thinknoflaura's comment regarding the shower, she is correct...the shower head is detachable and makes helping with the shower very easy. There is plenty of space in the shower to stand and help them take their showers. The bathroom is spacious and you can easily park her chair there without it getting wet. As a matter of fact, that is where we put her chair at night just to keep it out of the way. Have fun planning and actually taking the cruise! Again, if you have any questions, I am happy to try to answer them. :flower:

One other things to consider... the ports.

Vancouver was great with a modern ramp system. Alaskan ports varies with the tides. Some extreme tides may have wheel chair ramp slope issues until they change the entranceways.

I use a chair and they do let you use the elevators once the life boat drill starts. They do not let people who are not in mobility devices use them. I know because I take it all the time :) If that was the case none of the people who use chairs or scooters would get to their location. So do not worry about that. Also the same bus that takes people from the resorts or airport is accessible. So you pay the same as everyone else.

I had a similar question... we are looking at an Alaskan Cruise, probably in 2017. My son uses a scooter that is about 23 inches wide but at THIS time only needs it for excursions (that may change in the future depending on his health). In the past we always booked a HA accessible cabin because he used a jogging stroller/wheelchair, but now that he is more independent and a wee bit more mobile on his own (for now) we are debating if it is selfish to book the larger cabin. He DOES have a great many medical needs, bipap, oxygen, tube feeds, etc. The Alaskan cruise would be a real dream trip for all 3 of us, hubby and I planned on it for our 25th anniversary, but we had a special needs child and couldn't leave him at that time but this time would be our 35th anniversary and he could come with us as a young adult. HE loves animals to the extreme, especially whales and bears and predators of all sorts... seems like a trip just made for our family.

Anyway... thoughts on a regular cabin vs HA for the scooter? It comes apart pretty easily, but of course would take up a little room once it is brought inside... plus of course we would have all the other medical equipment with us too (concentrator, tube feeds, bipap, etc).

Thanks! Heidi

By your description, it sounds like your family would need (and qualifies) for a HA cabin. The regular cabins would probably be too small between the scooter and medical equipment. It would also make showering much easier for him as there is a pull down seat and detachable shower head. We have taken 7 DCL cruises with my daughter who has cerebral palsy and requires a wheelchair. The people at DCL are wonderful to work with. I would recommend calling them directly and discussing your son's needs. As noted by shelbell77 you can also look it up online:
There's a special number you can call to talk to DCL Special Services about your sisters needs and how DCL can accommodate her. I know others who use this service. http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/
Overall we found Alaska and Vancouver to be fairly accessible. Getting on and off the ship can be tricky depending on the tides and how steep the gangway's are. In Skagway, it took my husband and a crew member to get her on and off of the ship safely, but the other ports were easy. There are a few excursions which are wheelchair accessible and we enjoyed them. Good luck and hope this all works out for your family!

I had a similar question... we are looking at an Alaskan Cruise, probably in 2017. My son uses a scooter that is about 23 inches wide but at THIS time only needs it for excursions (that may change in the future depending on his health). In the past we always booked a HA accessible cabin because he used a jogging stroller/wheelchair, but now that he is more independent and a wee bit more mobile on his own (for now) we are debating if it is selfish to book the larger cabin. He DOES have a great many medical needs, bipap, oxygen, tube feeds, etc. The Alaskan cruise would be a real dream trip for all 3 of us, hubby and I planned on it for our 25th anniversary, but we had a special needs child and couldn't leave him at that time but this time would be our 35th anniversary and he could come with us as a young adult. HE loves animals to the extreme, especially whales and bears and predators of all sorts... seems like a trip just made for our family.

Anyway... thoughts on a regular cabin vs HA for the scooter? It comes apart pretty easily, but of course would take up a little room once it is brought inside... plus of course we would have all the other medical equipment with us too (concentrator, tube feeds, bipap, etc).

Thanks! Heidi
Thoughts...
  • While the ports are paved and accessible.... The attractions outside of town are often dirt and gravel.... not quite suitable for someone in a scooter. Work with the tour desk to discuss what excursions are suitable.
  • When in Vancouver... do check out Grouse Mountain. They have "Breakfast w/ the Bears" and "Birds in Motion" program he may be interested in....
    https://www.grousemountain.com/birds-in-motion
    https://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears
  • Vancouver also has an aquarium with Beluga whales and dolphins.
  • Just outside Vancouver is the Greater Vancouver zoo that might be worth checking out if you have a rental car

Thoughts...
  • While the ports are paved and accessible.... The attractions outside of town are often dirt and gravel.... not quite suitable for someone in a scooter. Work with the tour desk to discuss what excursions are suitable.
  • When in Vancouver... do check out Grouse Mountain. They have "Breakfast w/ the Bears" and "Birds in Motion" program he may be interested in....
    https://www.grousemountain.com/birds-in-motion
    https://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears
  • Vancouver also has an aquarium with Beluga whales and dolphins.
  • Just outside Vancouver is the Greater Vancouver zoo that might be worth checking out if you have a rental car
wonderful information, thank you!

He can walk some, and in fact his physicians want him to. Its just when it gets to over a mile without rest he needs the scooter. (for example he can handle our little zoo in Boise, but it takes him 3-4 hours to see the whole thing, partly because he is stopping for photos constantly!). He is mostly interested in going on a whale tour, going on the bus ride where you can see the mother bear teaching the cubs to fish, things like that. HE wants to go on one of the small planes too, I told him he can go with Dad and I will stay in port and wander around town on my own... ;)

Since we will be driving from Idaho we will have our own car in Vancouver, so Grouse Mountain, the aquarium and zoo would be perfect! I will have to add a few days to the trip for that. We are planning a drive across Canada this year to his special needs camp in NY state, all going well, but will miss the west coast, so it will be a great addition to our adventures. I may have to re-think how we use the scooter, maybe saving it for on the ship post excursion when he is tired from all our adventures instead. I know the elevators tend to get busy and backed up, but we can deal with that.

I appreciate your help! Thanks...

heidi

I would stick with the HA cabin. Sounds like you have a lot of "stuff" and there isn't a lot of extra space in a standard cabin. If he/you are thinking to break the scooter down and carry it into the stateroom -- skip that idea. You would not only need to carry in several parts, but also most likely lift them over the bed to get to the "living room" area of the stateroom as there really is no place to store it out of the way by the door/closets/bathrooms. Unless he's thinking of storing the scooter in the designated location (I forget, might be deck 6?) near the elevators and walking to/from the stateroom. But I still think you have enough other medical items that take up space in the room, you might as well use the HA cabin.

Enjoy your anniversary cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter