• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair Accessibility on the High Seas?

He can walk some, and in fact his physicians want him to. Its just when it gets to over a mile without rest he needs the scooter.
A mile is a significant distance..... I haven't seen how big his scooter is. But have you considered a "transport wheelchair". I used this for mom in our travels and it made the trip so much more manageable.

The cruise ship is big. Depending on how far he needs to walk for food, shows and exploration.... I should add that a wheelchair/scooter will be handy on days with the unprotected rough seas between Ketchikan and the BC inside passage.

My son uses a wheelchair for any long distances which can include the hallways on the cruise ship! We do use the HA cabins and have found that it definitely meets the needs for us. One of my main concerns for him in a regular cabin was the step up/down out of the bathrooms. My son, though mobile at times, would trip and fall over this raised area constantly if he had to do it. He does not do changes in flooring levels very well. In the HA room we have been able to roll his wheelchair in and there is still plenty of room around the room for the rest of us. He likes being able to open the door with the push of a button. I would not sail with him without one. We do use the wheelchair all over the ship and it can be a tight fit at times in the hallways especially BUT that is not necessarily different than other places that we go. We just have to be patient and let others go around us or pass us if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter