• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your Threshold for Taking Kids out of School

Our DD will be in first grade during our october trip next year, and will miss at least 3 or 4 days but we're trying to keep it mostly over her fall break. I don't see the big deal with elementary school age kids. As long as they're on target and you work with them at home (which we do) it shouldn't be an issue.

I probably wouldn't in middle school and high school. That's when things really speed up. But right now we want to take advantage of lower costs, plus things like Food and Wine and MNSSHP while we have a chance. And then we'll stick to school breaks when our kids are older. But by that point we don't plan on spending as much time at disney.

We are taking our ninth grader out for the week following Thanksgiving. We homeschool our younger daughter, so she'll technically be missing our regular school days, too. But, we believe that learning can take place anywhere, there are a lot of hours in the car that make up work can be done, and the value of having a family vacation when I was able to get off from work are worth more than upsetting a few teachers that he only has to endure for a semester.

We have thought about this a lot in terms of when to go on vacation. When my niece was in kindergarten, my SIL pulled her out of school for 2 weeks to go on a trip to visit family in another state. Since it was kindergarten and niece was doing well in school and since the teacher was accommodating, it wasn't a big deal.

I think that it's a very individual thing. YDD (age 7, she's in 2nd grade now) missed a week of school early May of last school year because of a medical issue - she had to have surgery to have her tonsils & adenoids taken out, plus removal of a tube in her ear drum. I had even given the school a heads up before hand and it was challenging to get the assignments from the teacher. I had to escalate the matter to the vice principal in order to get anywhere. Needless to say, I was glad when 1st grade ended. During that week, she missed several tests and quizzes, so making it all up afterwards was challenging, too.

ODD is now in 4th grade and 4th grade at her school operates much like middle school or junior high...the kids have lockers and 1 teacher for each subject and the homework demands are definitely more than last year.

My kids get a week off in October for "fall break" and the school last year also started taking off the day before Thanksgiving and the Monday after Thanksgiving. And now they added 2 days off at the end of April, too. So if we were going to make a Disney trip, we'd probably go at the end of April or during Fall Break (we went to Disneyland during Fall Break this year).

My personal take:
1. "family time is precious" is largely an excuse to travel when crowds and prices are low. That time is just as precious during the summer, Christmas, and spring break, and most families could choose one of those times for a trip (of course there are exceptions where one or both parents just cannot get off ANY time but the 180 days a kid is in school, but how many REALLY have that issue?). The time of year doesn't make a difference when spending quality time with kids.
2. I have taken my child out, and been honest about my motives for doing so. We could have chosen to travel during summer or Christmas break, but didn't want to fight the crowds, plain and simple. We chose to take a couple of days before or after a shorter break that the entire country didn't share.
3. I would never take a child out of school for a full week. I don't think that its a huge problem in elementary, just not something I would do. In middle and high school the just miss too much and it takes too much effort to catch up. If that isn't the case then they belong in a more challenging program.
4. Its "educational" is also an excuse at best. Disney is entertainment. There isn't enough education there to take the place of a week of middle or high school. Sure, you can trump up reasons to justify the trip, but there really isn't enough of actual educational value to justify a week out of middle or high school, unless one is doing multiple Y.E.S. classes.

I agree. Unless you have a job that is rigid about your vacation schedule, or your destination is event specific (like a hunting trip, the Olympics, the running of the Bulls, etc), there's really no reason you'd "have" to pull your kids from school to accomplish a vacation. It's not an either/or scenario, especially with the numerous (and often lengthy) breaks the school provides.

I get why people do it & yes, there are cases where it's the only way to do what you want to do. But MOST people who pull kids from school for vacation COULD actually accomplish the same trip during a scheduled school break.

I'm taking my daughter out for a week next year - she'll be in 2nd grade. After that, our Disney trips will be over the summer or school breaks.

I agree. Unless you have a job that is rigid about your vacation schedule, or your destination is event specific (like a hunting trip, the Olympics, the running of the Bulls, etc), there's really no reason you'd "have" to pull your kids from school to accomplish a vacation. It's not an either/or scenario, especially with the numerous (and often lengthy) breaks the school provides.

I get why people do it & yes, there are cases where it's the only way to do what you want to do. But MOST people who pull kids from school for vacation COULD actually accomplish the same trip during a scheduled school break.

You are assuming all schools have breaks. Mine doesn't, the only breaks my school has is a week at Christmas. We do not have a fall break, we don't even have a spring/Easter break -- we get Good Friday off and there have been years with so much snow that schools in my area have gone to school on Good Friday. I wish our schools started in August so we could have some breaks in the year, but we start in September and lose quite a few holidays due to snow days. I really wish our school calendar was different.

You are assuming all schools have breaks. Mine doesn't, the only breaks my school has is a week at Christmas. We do not have a fall break, we don't even have a spring/Easter break -- we get Good Friday off and there have been years with so much snow that schools in my area have gone to school on Good Friday. I wish our schools started in August so we could have some breaks in the year, but we start in September and lose quite a few holidays due to snow days. I really wish our school calendar was different.

Actually, our district is very stingy as well - no Fall break, no Spring break. And I wish it weren't so. However, we also have one LONG break from late May to late August - I assume your district has something similar ;)

When I was little (through middle school) my parents would pull me out every year. We travelled with my grandparents, and my uncle and his family to the Florida Keys to camp for a week, and then to Disney to camp and visit the parks for a week. We always drove, and the whole trip took about two weeks. My cousin and I would have daily homework to do, assigned by the teacher, and we had to do that each day while on vacation. Those times with my family are some of the best memories I have as a child.

We have never taken our kids (DS10, DD6) out of school for more than 2 days for anything before. As a teacher, I know that being in school is important, and it isn't easy (or in my mind responsible) for me to take time off during the year. In fact, in 20 years of teaching I have never taken a vacation during the school year. The most I have ever done is take two extra days around a weekend for a quick trip to the beach.

Our first trip to WDW with the kids was two summers ago (2014). It was hot, and the lines were long, but we figured that was the only time to go. We made it work, but we didn't enjoy the heat and humidity, and it really sapped our energy levels and enhanced our irritability.

Earlier this year, my wife suggested we go back during Spring Break 2016 to avoid the heat. I said that the two busiest weeks are Christmas and SB and that I had no intentions of going then, even if we did avoid the heat. But then it occurred to me, that my kids will only be young once, and that I will only get so many chances to take them to WDW before they get too cool to be seen with us. So, we decided to take them during January 2016, around the MLK holiday. They (and I) will miss four days of school, and we will have six days in the parks.

I would say that until high school, there is nothing that cannot be made up as far as schoolwork is concerned, as long as you pick a time away from exams, the beginning of the year (when kids are just getting their bearings), or during big projects or activities. I have had students leave the country to visit family all around the world for several weeks at a time. I would say it also depends a great deal on the student. Some kids can be out, handle the makeup work, and not miss a beat. For other kids, it can totally disrupt an entire marking period worth of learning. Only parents know their kid and how it may affect them.

For my wife and I, it is totally worth it. We haven't done it before, and may not ever do it again, but for us, it is about the time that we spend together as a family, and the decision to not play "by the rules" for once in our lives. We are both hopelessly type A, and doing this makes us anxious. But I am sure that the minute we get there, and from that point forward, we won't regret our decision.

We do take our children out for several reasons, but to each their own. This year they will be out for 7 school days right before the Thanksgiving Day vacation. The kids are in 3rd and 6th grade and all their teachers are aware and supportive. It is the only time in which my husband and I can take time together, so as a family it is an important and personal decision. The teachers let the kids share about their trip and we certainly try to make it an educational experience as well. This year we are also taking the kids to the Kennedy Space Center.
Since their schools have no problem having 6 total parent workshops days within the school year, in which we have to find daycare or take work off - I am just fine taking our kids out to make family memories.

Actually, our district is very stingy as well - no Fall break, no Spring break. And I wish it weren't so. However, we also have one LONG break from late May to late August - I assume your district has something similar ;)

Yup, and if we want to go without my husband, that would work ;)

Yup, and if we want to go without my husband, that would work ;)

And if the only time your husband can take off is during the school year, you're obviously one of the exceptions I specifically mentioned in that first post you quoted ;)

Our son is 7 (late july bday) and in the first grade. We are taking him out of school for a cruise the end of January. I thought we would be able to take him out of school for a few more years and that it wouldn't be that big of a deal as far as catching up and what not. But, he told me that he doesn't want to miss school to go on vacation. So, in the future, we probably won't be taking him out of school if it's going to upset him. So, I think it's different for every child and family.

I don't think I have done more than 2, maybe 3 days. But we are not too far from WDW so we always just do long weekend trips for the most part so our trip is usually no more than 4 days max.

My kids have been to other countries and that has always been a learning experience. Disney is too. I recall vividly when our older son was able to give directions to a group of people as to get from point A to B in great detail. He even gave alternative ways to do it. The expression on their faces and standing there with their jaw dropped down to their chest almost was priceless.
He was only 6 years old. For a child to be able to have the confidence to do that was/is worth the trip. It builds self-esteem.

Hi, I have a question. What excuse do you guys normally give to your children's school to take them out for vacation?

My family is going on our first real vacation this December from the 16th-26th. We've never been to Walt Disney World so we're very excited. My brothers are in their junior year of high school. They're going to miss the last three days of school before the winter break starts. Our trip carries over into the break so we figured it could work. Plus mom couldn't get vacation time until now and it needed to work with my brothers school schedule. :)

The Southeast schools go back in August. (Anywhere from the first to third week in August). So, the last week of August is a great time to go crowd-wise to Disney. It does mean dealing with the heat, but at least it isn't heat and crowds.

*Edited - just realized you said your husband can't take off at other times. Then yep, one of the exceptions!

Hi, I have a question. What excuse do you guys normally give to your children's school to take them out for vacation?

My family is going on our first real vacation this December from the 16th-26th. We've never been to Walt Disney World so we're very excited. My brothers are in their junior year of high school. They're going to miss the last three days of school before the winter break starts. Our trip carries over into the break so we figured it could work. Plus mom couldn't get vacation time until now and it needed to work with my brothers school schedule. :)

She needs to just tell the school that they are going on a family vacation and make sure she understands the absence policy. The students also should ask their teachers ahead of time what they'll miss. The school may have little power over deciding if it's excused or not. My state wouldn't excuse that so the principal has to follow that. Since it's only three days, it's highly unlikely it will fall under truancy laws or not getting credit for the course. If it's unexcused, then teachers don't usually need to provide make-up work. That doesn't mean they won't, just that the school doesn't make them. When I taught high school, I always allowed students to do missed work for both excused and unexcused absences, no matter what the reason. Most teachers will care about the learning, not the policy.

I simply write a note to their teachers as well as the principal/school office advising that they will be out for the given dates as we will be traveling as a family. Fortunately our school has been very supportive of family time and also understanding that our block vacation time is limited to non-traditional school vacation times. They have often asked where we are going but that was in a friendly way - some even sharing their family vacation tales. Usually our kids (now 8th & 6th grades) miss 3-4 days. Last December they missed 6. Next month they will miss 4 with one of those days most likely being a half day of school. Next school year when our oldest goes to high school we won't be able to miss those days so we are enjoying the time now.

I am taking my 7 year old first grader out of school for 3 days following Christmas vacation. I share Christmas with her father, so my husband and I are taking the girls down to Disney the Monday following Christmas and we will return the 6th of January. I am pregnant now and will have another baby in March, so we figured it's now or not for a few years (we already have an 11 month old (she will have just turned one when we visit), so the logistics of taking two infants makes it unlikely that we will visit within the next two years...and I really want to bring my 7 year old before then.

She is a great student, so I am not concerned about what she will miss...especially in the first few days back from a holiday vacation...all the kids will be high on Christmas as it is, so I am sure not much work will be getting done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter