What's your favorite way to make fruit salad?

So I guess orange jello with mandarin oranges & marshmallows is out, also? :goodvibes

Seriously, I don't see that the question is asking what is right or wrong. Just opinions as to what different people do.

Food is so subjective. Just because you don't like what I do doesn't make it wrong.

I don't think the poster meant it was morally wrong. I think she meant that it didn't sound appetizing. It's an expression. To me fruit with mayo sounds as unappetizing as eating my honey nut cheerios with gravy. Of course I don't like sweet and savory together so I feel the same way at the thought of maple flavored breakfast sausage, or pizza with pineapple. That doesn't mean that I can't like you if you eat them, but if you do it in front of me I'll look away.

I like just fruit in my fruit salad. To me the best combo is something with a little tartness (pineapple or kiwi or a squeeze of lemon juice) with something very sweet -- watermelon or perfectly ripe peaches or mangoes or green grapes, and then lots of berries. Berries are my favorite. Oh, and absolutely no bananas as they get slimy from the juice of the other fruit. That is also "wrong".

LSmith said:
The only thing fresh fruit should be mixed with is fresh mint leaves. Anything else is taking away from the taste not to mention the nutritional value.

It's like taking perfectly healthy vegetables and smothering them with cheese or butter or any other sauce.
Wow youre just gonna go lecture everyone about their eating habits and about what they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT to be eating??? Who cares how others eat? Worry about your own eating habits. Nobody asked about nutritional value. Who cares if its unhealthy to smother butter all over my veggies. I like it!!!! Im very well aware that its not healthy. Im an adult. I just dont care.

Fresh fruit only, nothing else, no mayo (which I don't like mayo on sandwiches or really anything else so that makes sense for me), no yogurt, no soda, no honey, just fruit. :)

We like to have a large bowl of cut up fruit in the fridge as much as possible. I add diet Sprite or 7Up to the bowl. It helps to keep the fruit from turning brown.

I like the idea of lemon and honey someone mentioned. Sounds yummy.

As far as miracle whip goes, I might just have to try it. It's both sweet and zingy at the same time. As far as it being unhealthy, I'm pretty sure that bit won't kill me any faster than anything else that I'm eating. :)

My mother used to make fruit salad with apples, bananas, grapes, mandarin oranges, pineapple and mini marshmallows smothered in a package of Dream Whip. :rotfl:

She lived to 90 and I'm pushing 60. I may have to make that Sunday in her honor. :thumbsup2

I use whatever fruit I can find. Usually Strawberries, apples, oranges, pineapple, grapes and banana. I then drizzle with just a little bit of honey - probably a TBS with for a very large bowl of fruit.

Grilled veggies of any kind are awesome. I have a grill basket. I put in zucchini, yellow squash, onion, mushrooms and red pepper. My favorite way to season is with Pampered Chef's Greek Rub but salt, pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning also works well. If you have it throw on fresh basil.

Happy Mother's Day!

I use whatever fruit I can find. Usually Strawberries, apples, oranges, pineapple, grapes and banana. I then drizzle with just a little bit of honey - probably a TBS with for a very large bowl of fruit.

Grilled veggies of any kind are awesome. I have a grill basket. I put in zucchini, yellow squash, onion, mushrooms and red pepper. My favorite way to season is with Pampered Chef's Greek Rub but salt, pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning also works well. If you have it throw on fresh basil.

Happy Mother's Day!

I really need to get a grill basket. Have always wanted one but never got around to getting one. I'll make it a point to get for this summer. I've never had grilled veggies or roasted veggies for that matter but they sound soooo good.

As for what we've decided on for tomorrow, we're going to do roasted asparagus.

Wow youre just gonna go lecture everyone about their eating habits and about what they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT to be eating??? Who cares how others eat? Worry about your own eating habits. Nobody asked about nutritional value. Who cares if its unhealthy to smother butter all over my veggies. I like it!!!! Im very well aware that its not healthy. Im an adult. I just dont care.

Wow. Pretty strong words for my opinion. I'm now waiting for TinkerwithDis to back up your attack. :rolleyes1

I add about 1 tablespoon of Miracle Whip to a large bowl of strawberries and bananas. I don't think it's all that unhealthy. I like the tartness with the sweetness.

I agree! I grew up eating green grapes with sour cream. I love the contrast of the creamy/tart and the sweet/juicy.

For us, we typically just cut up a bunch of fresh fruit and mix in a bowl. But I love it with honey and mint, too..

I always make a fruit salad as another dessert option whenever I entertain.

I cut up canteloupe, watermelon, green grapes, strawberries, pineapple & add in blueberries.

I use all fresh fruit and it is a nice colorful mix. I do not mix anything else in w/the fruit.

This is my guilt free & refreshing dessert.

2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
2 cups green seedless grapes, halved
1 small cantaloupe, cut into chunks
2 firm bananas, sliced
1/3 cup fresh orange juice (100% orange juice)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine the fruit.
2. Pour the juice over the fruit and toss to coat.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours and then stir just before serving.

It's not that unhealthy which to me means it isn't healthy. Yes, there are more unhealthy foods than a tbsp of it but it isn't healthy to add Miracle Whip to anything.

Well I am sorry but everything I put into my mouth isn't totally healthy, I won't live that way.

Just cut up fruit for me - whatever's in season/on sale at the grocery store...except banans, because I think they get mushy and brown too fast!

Well I am sorry but everything I put into my mouth isn't totally healthy, I won't live that way.

No need to be sorry. The point I was trying to make was that a fruit salad can be made to taste amazing without adding unhealthy ingredients. Mint is a perfect example of such.

I don't understand why people get so offended on the DIS when you give them a healthy alternative after all OP you did ask.

Cut up the fruit and drop it in a bowl. :) It must have fresh pineapples and sliced bananas, though. In fact, my favorite fruit salad is just those two fruit mixed together, sometimes with a little powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

No need to be sorry. The point I was trying to make was that a fruit salad can be made to taste amazing without adding unhealthy ingredients. Mint is a perfect example of such.

I don't understand why people get so offended on the DIS when you give them a healthy alternative after all OP you did ask.

Probably because unsolicited advice is usually not welcome much of anywhere.

I usually just cut up whatever fruits are in season and look good - berries, melon, apples, oranges, grapes, pineapples, etc. Never bananas. I dip the apples in lemon juice before putting them in the bowl to keep them from browning. Sometimes I use a can of mandarin oranges instead of fresh. We love fruit salad!

Now for a fruit treat that is NOT healthy (but definitely yummy!) I make this dip and serve it with cut-up fruit. It works with all fruit, but it is especially good with apples and strawberries. I serve it at parties in the middle of a big platter of fruit, and I add some graham crackers as well. It always goes fast!

http://beyondwonderful.com/recipes/appetizers/dip-appetizers/strawberry-cheesecake-dip-recipe/

It is not very healthy, but I do use low fat cream cheese and sour cream.

Probably because unsolicited advice is usually not welcome much of anywhere.

It was not unsolicited advice. The OP asked. Look at how many people posted the same thing. Just fruit. God forbid I said it is healthier.

When it comes to the DIS the only problem with 'unsolicited advice' is if it happens to be advice on health.

Strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, watermelon. Sometimes apples. A little bit of lemon juice to keep the apples from browning. That's basically it.

I've never heard of using dressing before in a fruit salad. I mean, I have for Waldorf salad, but that's because, you know, that's what Waldorf salad IS...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter