What's wrong with eating the whole egg?

DisTeach1

DIS Veteran
I am trying to lose 10 lbs and just generally eat better. I love eggs and I think they are an excellent source of protein. I also notice that if I have eggs for breakfast, it keeps me full much longer than if I just have cereal or something else carb based.

It seems every diet, healthy eating plan, etc. will call for "egg whites". Or "1 Whole egg with two egg whites.

I don't get it...Why do so many diet plans emphasize only the egg whites? Is it the cholesterol or the calories?

I dont do calories ...but count carbs...
I do eat an egg more often then not..
One medical site I read...said that it is
okey to eat one egg daily...
And you are right..the protein stays with
me much longer then eating a carb breakfast..

My nutritionist advocates eating the yolk and white, for exactly the reasons you say - to feel full longer. She only recommends skipping the yolk if you have a cholesterol problem.

When I make scrambled eggs I sometimes throw in an extra yolk! So delicious.

Eating the yolk got a bad rep because of the cholesterol but dont listen to that nonsense. The yolk is filled with healthy Omega-3s and lecithin. Enough so that it counteracts the bad cholesterol. Bottom line, you lose a lot of the nutrients when you cut out the egg yolk but some do it to cut out the bad cholesterol.

My husband wants the protein - but not any of the so-called cholesterol, etc... He will eat just the egg whites!

Me, IMHO, unless you are a person who really has to watch cholesterol. (and we all know that the eating of many cholesterols in healthy foods causes high-cholesterol is a myth...) I say one is giving up good nutritional value based on a fear that could be misguided.

I wouldn't want to eat two or more whole eggs every single day.
So, that can be an issue with people like body-builders who do purposefully consume several eggs (whites) for the protein.

But, I agree, In a normal diet, eggs can be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than carb/sugar based foods for breakfast!

I am trying to lose 10 lbs and just generally eat better. I love eggs and I think they are an excellent source of protein. I also notice that if I have eggs for breakfast, it keeps me full much longer than if I just have cereal or something else carb based.

It seems every diet, healthy eating plan, etc. will call for "egg whites". Or "1 Whole egg with two egg whites.

I don't get it...Why do so many diet plans emphasize only the egg whites? Is it the cholesterol or the calories?

There is nothing wrong with whole eggs. While the yolk does contains most of the calories, it also contains all the healthy fat and nutrients. The whites are pretty much pure protein.

Now, if you are counting calories, you might worry about the amount when you want a bunch of eggs. So, you might mix a couple whole eggs with some egg whites to bulk up the meal (and protein levels) without going over on your calories. Personally, I just account for the calories!

Lots of protien in the white and by removing the yolk you lose some calories. I think it just depends on your overall diet through out the day.

If I eat one egg, whole thing. (boiled or cooked)

If I'm using mutiple eggs usually 1 yolk for every 2 or 3 whites. (scrambled or baked in sheets for sandwiches)

When I'm baking ehh sometimes I take out yolks, sometimes I only use yolks.:rotfl:

I think most people recommend 2-3 per week is fine more than that you might want to look at a combo of egg/egg white, just to get the best of both worlds.

The yolk is the only part of the egg with any flavor. Nobody dunks their toast in egg whites;)

you guys just gave me a terrible craving for eggs! guess i know what I'm having for dinner. :goodvibes

And yes I'll be having the yolk.

I have lost over 12 lbs and that includes 2-3 eggs 2-3 times a week. Sometimes scrambled, sometimes fried, sometimes hard boiled... but always the whole egg.

A friend who is really into nutrition just recently told me that the egg thing is being rethought. I haven't had the chance to look into it yet but it sure sounds promising!

Eat the whole egg! :thumbsup2 However, when I'm really hungry I do eat two whole eggs and may throw in one or two egg whites for volume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter