What's with all of the "adults only" stuff on the DISNEY cruises?

Dear ilovetexas,
If your opinion of my opinion runs towards being "factually inaccurate", then please set me straight.

My husband and I have cruised for many years on many lines. It has been OUR experience that other cruise lines did same old same old until that 800 pound gorilla came along in the shape of a Big Red Boat.

Then came the concepts of VARIOUS adult only venues, in addition to a lines own private island. Over the years, WE have experienced other cruise lines initiating specialty dining where there formerly was none. Then other cruise lines private islands started popping up where before there was none. Other lines also started to pay more attention to their younger cruisers and upgrades came to their kiddo clubs-they're still trying to keep up,as RCI has just hired Barbie to compete with Mickey & Minnie.

So it has been OUR PERSONAL experience, that in various areas,such as adult only, DCL has been in the forefront, while other lines try, to this day, to copy their ideas/approach.

If YOUR personal experience has been different,to the point of DCL NOT being in the forefront of some concepts,then,by all means,please be specific and tell me how they haven't been,rather than just throwing "factually inaccurate" my way.

My statements have not been meant,at any time to be set in stone-they are,as are all posts,just personal feelings and experiences.:wave2:

Okay I just want to say something to all the people that have said, "My kids don't want to be separated from us" and "we are going on a family cruise" etc. I have two children a DD11 and a DS15 and yes at those ages they are usually still attached to my hip, especially on vacations. My daughter is very shy and does not like new situations so I thought for sure the kids clubs would be out of the question for her. Well I was wrong - My kids were off to the clubs at 10:00am and only came back if I called for us all to go do something together, it was time for dinner, or it was time for the show. So as it turned out I spent quite a bit of time in those adult areas and it was very nice. I am just saying don't assume before you get there that your kids will always want to be with you (unless they are too little for the kids clubs), they may surprise you and you may end up enjoying those areas also. And also just to say I was on the Magic and well the areas for the families and kids took up substantial parts of the ship compared to the adult areas. Some of the areas that are considered adult areas on the Magic are only that way after 9:00pm at night.

Dear ilovetexas,
If your opinion of my opinion runs towards being "factually inaccurate", then please set me straight.

My husband and I have cruised for many years on many lines. It has been OUR experience that other cruise lines did same old same old until that 800 pound gorilla came along in the shape of a Big Red Boat.

Then came the concepts of VARIOUS adult only venues, in addition to a lines own private island. Over the years, WE have experienced other cruise lines initiating specialty dining where there formerly was none. Then other cruise lines private islands started popping up where before there was none. Other lines also started to pay more attention to their younger cruisers and upgrades came to their kiddo clubs-they're still trying to keep up,as RCI has just hired Barbie to compete with Mickey & Minnie.

So it has been OUR PERSONAL experience, that in various areas,such as adult only, DCL has been in the forefront, while other lines try, to this day, to copy their ideas/approach.

If YOUR personal experience has been different,to the point of DCL NOT being in the forefront of some concepts,then,by all means,please be specific and tell me how they haven't been,rather than just throwing "factually inaccurate" my way.

My statements have not been meant,at any time to be set in stone-they are,as are all posts,just personal feelings and experiences.:wave2:

I agree with you - Disney did do all these things first and the other cruise lines are now playing catch up - and honestly the only one I see coming even close is Royal Caribbean.

I don't get it... I'm going with my KIDS on a DISNEY cruise... why are there so many adult sections and restaurants on the ship? My kids want to spend the whole time with us and I feel like it cuts off part of the boat for us...

Am I the only one who is confused by this? If you want adults-only why don't you go on a Royal Caribbean cruise?

Ethan

AAAAAIIIIEEEEEE :headache::headache:

OP, I get where you are coming from. I am a teacher and I get that some children might be more comfortable staying with their family while on vacation!

DH and I sailed on another line, without our kids. We had a good time, but noticed that there wasn't a lot of FAMILY activities. Kids clubs at some times of the day, sure. But we wanted activities for all of us together. So, our next cruise was on DCL. In short, we found the perfect family vacation. The kids get some freedom (they're older now, on our first cruise they were 8 and 11 and did not have sign-out privileges), we have lots to do together every day, and DH and I get some alone time as well. At home we rarely have date nights, we spend a lot of time together. As they have gotten older we have been able to do 3 DCL cruises alone- we love it that much! I would consider sailing another line for the 2 of us. Our kids are adamant that they only want DCL, even now at 13 and 16. They love the blend of family activities and things just for them. They choose it over even WDW!

But please, if your idea of perfect is for the four of you to be together the whole time -there's nothing wrong with that - you will have a wonderful trip together. :goodvibes

Not an option for many, even most cruisers. I see this comment ALL the time and always want to respond.

The grandparents in our family: a) can't afford to cruise DCL, so we'd be paying thousands out of pocket for babysitters, b) aren't Disneyesque loving and caring g-parents who would selflessly agree to watch kids and do a good job with them (histories of abuse), and c) have physical limitations that don't make them well-suited to care for active little ones, even if the other issues didn't apply.

I know very few grandparents who would be willing and appropriate caregivers on vacation, so I wish people would not assume that this is a viable option for child care.

Wow - really - did you really assume that this is the norm. I hope my mom and dad who are both on the Disboards and just went on a cruise with us read that - maybe they will feel good about themselves - I guess you are saying most grandparents didn't do a good job raising their own kids and wouldn't be good for watching their grandkids for a little while on vacation. My parents not only occationally watched my kids while on vacation, but have taken just the kids on a vacation as a present. Where I come from the grandparents you speak of would be the exception - I know many grandparents that travel with their families - not just to be a caregiver, but just to go on vacation as a family. Grandparents down here in the south are very involved in their grandkids lives.
There are not too many things on here on the boards that make me give my opinion but wow this one did!

Wow - really - did you really assume that this is the norm. I hope my mom and dad who are both on the Disboards and just went on a cruise with us read that - maybe they will feel good about themselves - I guess you are saying most grandparents didn't do a good job raising their own kids and wouldn't be good for watching their grandkids for a little while on vacation. My parents not only occationally watched my kids while on vacation, but have taken just the kids on a vacation as a present. Where I come from the grandparents you speak of would be the exception - I know many grandparents that travel with their families - not just to be a caregiver, but just to go on vacation as a family. Grandparents down here in the south are very involved in their grandkids lives.
There are not too many things on here on the boards that make me give my opinion but wow this one did!
Well, I'm in the South too. Same state as you and I have no problem with Manateesmom statement. The truth is that every family isn't the same. You know many grandparents that travel with their families. :confused3 I don't know any. I don't want to go ANYWHERE with my parents and they are NOT active in my son's life. But, i am happy that you have a different family dynamic. You can't make such a broad statement as "Down here in the South". I'm sure Northerners are just as loving as your family and as disfunctional as mine. You shouldn't be offended by that post just as I am not offended by yours.

Well, I'm in the South too. Same state as you and I have no problem with Manateesmom statement. The truth is that every family isn't the same. You know many grandparents that travel with their families. :confused3 I don't know any. I don't want to go ANYWHERE with my parents and they are NOT active in my son's life. But, i am happy that you have a different family dynamic. You can't make such a broad statement as "Down here in the South". I'm sure Northerners are just as loving as your family and as disfunctional as mine. You shouldn't be offended by that post just as I am not offended by yours.

I am american and can make what ever statements I desire - and the area of the south that I am from this is how families are. Enough with this thread - this is what periodically runs me away from the disboards.

Dear ilovetexas,

Your opinion is presented as fact, which is why I have a problem with it. You've stated twice (that I've seen) that DCL was the first with all adult areas and everyone else is trying to copy them and trying to catch up. That's opinion, not fact. The adult areas I've experienced don't resemble, nor do they seem to be attempting to copy, anything on DCL.

As for private islands, a little research turns up:
Disney bought Gorda Cay (Castaway Cay) with the first stop there in July of 1998 (Magic).
HAL bought Little San Salvador Island (Half Moon Cay) with the first stop there in December of 1997.
Royal Caribbean acquired Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay) in 1990.
Princess has been stopping at their island (Princess Cay) since 1992.
NCL purchased Great Stirrup Cay in 1977! Not sure how long they took to fix it up and start using it, but it wasn't 20 years!

Cunard had specialty dining when Mickey Mouse was a newly released comic strip.

I could take the time to research all the spas at sea, adults only areas that were around pre-DCL, but I won't. The easily available information r/t the private islands and specialty dining proves my point: you're welcome to think DCL is the best, but that doesn't mean they were first and doesn't mean anyone is trying to copy them.

Competition is great and yes, businesses do take good ideas from one another. I hate to break it to you and a lot of others here on DISboards, all good ideas do NOT originate with Disney.

Dear ilovetexas,

I changed my mind, here's some more research for you regarding adult only areas. I find it hysterical that on this board where there is a weekly thread complaining about the BAD design of the adult areas and kids walking through/hanging out in the postage stamp size area of the adult pool, you can really think THESE are attempts to copy:

Crown Princess: The serene Sanctuary, an adults-only outdoor lounging area, is one of the loveliest outdoor sundecks at sea (it's right up there with SeaDream's two ships in terms of ambiance pampering and that's high praise). Highlights include service, with stewards to bring you cold towels and MP3 players loaded with a variety of titles -- and at-your-chaise food and beverage options (mostly healthy but a full bar is available as is grill food). It inhabits a lovely, mostly shaded space where, on earlier incarnations of this vessel, a sports area was located. The ambience is exquisite with plush recliners and puffy chairs.

Long ago Royal Caribbean International recognized the need for these places when it introduced the adults-only Solarium areas on its Vision-class ships. (BTW, Vision Class Ships debuted in May 1998, two months before DCL Magic.) These peaceful spaces lie under cover of a sliding roof and feature a large pool surrounded by chaise lounges and a hot tub or two, with exotic design motifs including bronze statues, stone reliefs, tile mosaics and tropical foliage. On the Freedom-class vessels there are two large hot tubs cantilevered out 12 feet from the sides of the ship. Suspended 112 feet above the ocean, the hot tubs offer breathtaking, panoramic views. Guests willing to immerse themselves in the experience find music piped in underwater, a photo collage behind glass depicting a coral reef, and a glass wall that allows them to look into the atrium adjacent to the pool while submerged.

That's just to name a couple. Which of these experiences do you think were modeled after DCL's poorly executed attempt at an adults only pool? DCL's small adult pool area that is often populated with children is nothing like these areas (and others I can think of) and maybe DCL should copy THEM.

Not singling you out Epcotatnight. I'm responding to this entire line of discussion.

I'm not offended by any post here but I must say that I know LOTS of multigenerational family vacationers. Including my own family and the families of my close friends. My DH and I nearly always have our adult children and grandchildren on vacation with us and have been on several trips that included our siblings and their families and my own mother and stepfather. I have no idea if that's the norm for most but it sure is the norm for us and many others. I love spending time with my own mother and apparently my children enjoy spending time with me. I don't think it's more common to any particular region. Just that it's the way some families tick. Others, not so much. I do admit to feeling a little sad for families who seem not to enjoy one another but I don't judge them for it. They have their reasons.

Anyway, I want to point out that just as families are different, so are our preferences, comfort levels, and needs. That's why there are so many choices and why we should only be concerned with what is best for our own situations. Different strokes. DCL does a good job of providing a wide range of experiences to accommodate us all. That's why we love them.

I don't get it... I'm going with my KIDS on a DISNEY cruise... why are there so many adult sections and restaurants on the ship? My kids want to spend the whole time with us and I feel like it cuts off part of the boat for us...

Am I the only one who is confused by this? If you want adults-only why don't you go on a Royal Caribbean cruise?

Ethan

Once your kids get in the clubs, the allure of Mom and Dad may wane a bit. LOL.

Some way to turn a thread into one big argument. Bahahahaha... oh live and let live. We're cruisin' baby!! With children, without children, awesome and absent grandparents alike -- give me a fruity drink, sun and sea, it's all good to me!! :cool1:

To bring this back to the original topic...

DH and I are childless, and not by choice. We cruise Disney because we love the way we are treated on DCL. We enjoy being around families/kids/adults/grandparents/everyone, and we also enjoy time spent together and alone in some of the secluded areas, not because they are "kids free" areas, but because they are just nice areas in general.

Our first cruise, we went to Castaway Cay, and we stayed on the family side, because we enjoy the location, watching the kids all get excited and/or playing in the sand, having the perfect view of the ship in the background, and being close to the heart of it all, but I totally get people who want to go to the adults only side to, because maybe it's their time to get away from it all.

Disney has a special way about them, the cast members, the decor, the magical moments throughout the vacation that just can't be found on other cruise lines or doing other vacations. Should it be restricted to people who only have children? I would hope not, because DH would miss out on some of the best memories we have.

We sign up for the meet and greet groups, and do the fish extender exchange, and my first time experiencing this was 100% awesome. This past time, I couldn't believe how many comments were made about "isn't this only for kids??" or "why would you participate if you don't have kids???" and DH or I couldn't believe the insensitivity behind it. We spend lots of time, money and effort into participating and wanting to have a great time with other people, and us being childless doesn't make us some type of "alien" even though some people act like it does.

If you love Disney and you love the values behind the company and the way you feel when you leave from vacation, then whether you have children, don't have children, are grandparents, or part alien, it doesn't matter. Enjoy yourself, and the way you and your family (however big or small) vacation (separate/together/who cares!!), and make the best memories you can.

To the OP:

My son specifically has high anxiety and autism-like qualities at times, so dropping them off at kids activities can be very stressful for the whole family.

We went on our first cruise when our kids were 9 & 11. My 11yo (at the time) DS has Aspergers and I was unsure how he would handle everything. Let me reassure you that the Disney employees do a great job of handling almost all types of situations.

When you fill out your pre-cruise paperwork they ask you about your kids, anything that they should know. You can put as much or as little on this form as you see necessary. But once we got onboard and visited the clubs, he was fine. We spoke with the staff and explained what was what, and we always went back to check on him. He mostly wanted to play computer games, so they just let him do that the whole time. It was a break for him and everyone else, so it was a win-win situation.

You can visit the kids clubs together during the first-day open house, then ask about other open house times. Maybe they will want to go, maybe not. But do visit to see what they're all about.

There were so many family activities on board that we never even had the chance to attend, there were so many. So don't worry about there not being enough family activities to do! You can always stop by Guest Services if you need help finding something.

The main thing is do what is best for your family. It's your vacation and do what looks good to all of you.

What I've learned is that there are two very strong, distinct vacation personality types. There's the "vacation is family together time" and the "vacation means a break from my kids" types.

Um... how 'bout the "vacation means a break from my parents" types (speaking for my kids, of course!)? :rotfl2: They couldn't wait to get away from us and into the clubs, they had so much fun there!

This thread has graciously been steered back on topic and should be kept that way.
Thank you

I am american and can make what ever statements I desire - and the area of the south that I am from this is how families are. Enough with this thread - this is what periodically runs me away from the disboards.

South? American? What does that have to do with anything? We have differing points of view. That's ok. We don't have to agree, as long as we're respectful. I meant no disrespect to you. Calm down. :grouphug:

Not singling you out Epcotatnight. I'm responding to this entire line of discussion.

I'm not offended by any post here but I must say that I know LOTS of multigenerational family vacationers. Including my own family and the families of my close friends. My DH and I nearly always have our adult children and grandchildren on vacation with us and have been on several trips that included our siblings and their families and my own mother and stepfather. I have no idea if that's the norm for most but it sure is the norm for us and many others. I love spending time with my own mother and apparently my children enjoy spending time with me. I don't think it's more common to any particular region. Just that it's the way some families tick. Others, not so much. I do admit to feeling a little sad for families who seem not to enjoy one another but I don't judge them for it. They have their reasons.

Anyway, I want to point out that just as families are different, so are our preferences, comfort levels, and needs. That's why there are so many choices and why we should only be concerned with what is best for our own situations. Different strokes. DCL does a good job of providing a wide range of experiences to accommodate us all. That's why we love them.
I appreciate your point of view and congratulate you on maintaining such a loving family environment.

Yep, our kids are with us constantly on vacations. I understand some people need "time away" from kids, but for us we enjoy the family vacations with all of us together. My son specifically has high anxiety and autism-like qualities at times, so dropping them off at kids activities can be very stressful for the whole family. They are currently 5 (girl) and 7 (boy). Maybe if they were older (10+) it would be easier... As far as night time activities, how can we do that with a 5/7 year old? We can't just leave them in the room alone while they sleep.

We do have time away here at home with date-nights for my wife and I, or vacations to Vegas, etc, but we usually have trusted grandparents watch the kids then.

Maybe a Disney Cruise just isn't right for us then?

I would not dismiss the idea of a Disney Cruise just yet. While the cruise has areas for different age groups that does not mean you have to separate. The cruise offers a plethora of activities for the entire family to enjoy together. This is the cruise you want to take with family because it offers something for everyone which can be enjoyed individually or together.

As far as the kids go, I have heard and seen multiple stories of all sorts on how children will not leave a parents side and at the end of the day it is almost impossible to take them out to go to dinner! You can give it a try and if does not work, still plenty to do.

I hope you give the cruise a try because it truly is a wonderful experience. :goodvibes

Op- It has been my experience on every yearly vacation with my 6 childen, over 20 years now, that when you go into a situation with a negative outlook, and look for the bad you will surely find it. On the other hand if you roll with the punches, and not worry about the little things, every vacation is magical.
For proof of how bad can be turned good read my sons Wish Trip TR.

Ps to the grandparent situation- my dad comes on every family vacation with us- it wouldn't feel right w/o him. One year we brought both sets of grandparents.

Looking forward to my kidless cruise this coming Saturday on DCL. I have sailed with Royal, Princess, Carnival and NCL in the past and very much looking forward to this. My kids are 21, 22 and 24 right now, the cruise will be with my best friend and her kids are staying home. Most time will be spent in the adults only area... really looking forward to the week of the hot tub for me. My friend is pregnant and will not be getting in the hot tub, however she can sit on the side and put her legs in. We will have some pool time, and plenty of eating time. Heck planning a lazy day of room service as well. Not planning to get off the ship in Cozumel as we have both been there a couple times and nothing is appealing about it. We are taking the cruise for the opportunity to sail on Disney, see the shows and eat the food. This is her last big trip before the baby is born.
We just did a trip to Disney World with her girls in September, she and I did one with just my daughter in December, and her kids were just there again with her husband last weekend. Nope, not disney nuts at all. I am happy they have adult only areas as well as kid only areas, and yet family areas, something for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter