• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's scary about ITTBAB?

we love the show and think Disney has done an amazing job with this one but its a vey scary show ...in my opinion.
The spiders that drop down out of the celing mid show are huge(huge as in bigger than my head- huge) and they come down after the audience has been fogged..:eek:........so while it is VERY dark and VERY foggy...huge spiders drop as if they are falling from the celing. :scared1:I have NEVER EVER seen this show without lots of parents running to the exits with terriffied kids of all ages.
If your kids are AT ALL squeamish about bugs, loud noises/sounds or have sensory issues, do not go.......they will not trust u again.
Our DD6 is ok in this show and she is a big bug fan, but its def not her fav show....she gets freaked many times during this show.:rolleyes1

I agree with...go see it yourself alone, and then decide.:woohoo:

My best advice is SIT IN THE BACK. It is a much easier experience from there. When you are in the front, the fog is so thick you can't see who is sitting next to you which of course would freak out a little child (and I didn't like it too much either.) And then the next thing you see is a GNORMOUS spider dropping down on top of your head. However from the back it is a totally different perspective. The fog barely reaches you and you can see all of the spiders descending. It is the only way to see it with little ones, IMHO.:thumbsup2

I don't know. My kids were never afraid of it. My DS was 2.5 the first time and didn't have a problem with it.

I will also say that I have seen it many times and have never been in a showing that kids were screaming or flipping out yet I keep reading that on here.

i will admit i went on it the last time i was in WDW when the park opened. i was a young teen and scared of bugs, plus sensative to noise. i was thinking it was going to be like muppets, bubbles and cute characters. i remember the loud noises and the 3D effect of stuff being shot at me. i started to get scared and ended up leaving much to the annoyance of my older brother. i have been on the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world, but cant tolerate that kind of sensory assault, its all about personal limits.

I'm not a huge fan of ITTBAB, but I know what to expect so I'm ok when the rest of my family wants to go on it. I HATE the parts with the creepy crawlers and the bee "sting", so usually I will just move my tush forward on the seat so I don't get poked by the bee and I stand up (or at least sit on the very edge of the seat) when the bugs are "exiting" since its the end of the show anyways... Yes I am a huge wimp :rotfl:

Something that's also helpful is watching videos of the attraction on YouTube so you know ahead of time what to expect, and you can judge for yourself if it is suitable for your kids or explain to them what goes on during the show and let them decide. Here's a link to a pretty good one (you can see some of the other effects like the spiders from the ceiling)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRl0bdEKSfI&feature=related

I would like to agree with 2 previous posts.

1. If possible, go in alone and try it out before taking in your children. You know better than anyone else what your children can handle. I always recommend this to parents who are thinking about Dinosaur.

2. (and this one is a big one for me) I have worked with children my whole adult life. I do not believe the attraction and effects are the problem. I think Disney does a great job with special effects without making them scary. It is the screaming of the adults in the room. Laughter is fine, but the blood curdling screams are unnecessary. That screaming is what I believe causes the problems with the young kids. They would have a tough time expressing this because kids don't get that the adults aren't really scared. They are only screaming for the "fun of it". They assume that a screaming adult would only be screaming if there is danger. I believe the screaming adults have ruined this attraction for all. Rant over!!!

If you decide to do it, I hope your family enjoys it. The concept is amazing. I love the idea of it.
bolding is mine.
while I agree in whole w/ this post, I espically agree with the bolded portion. It's certainly no where near a must do attraction for us, but it seems that we end up at ITTBAB pretty much every time we go to AK. I thought about 'why' we keep going back to see it and have come to realize that we really get a bigger kick out of watching the reactions of other guests who have not experienced this before because ultimately, we know what it coming next. KWIM? We think it is pretty funny to see how the 'adults' react to the special effects. Yes, lots of screaming, but funny, happy screams, not true screams of terror. Kind of like, while I love to ride ToT, I :love: to be on it with someone who has NEVER been and has no idea. I think it is a 'hoot' to watch the reaction which usually results in some screaming. :laughing:
While I am not doubting that other posters have seen children removed during the show, it has been the exception to our experiences rather than the rule. Making an informed decision to see the show is the best course of action you can take. Although, I do recommend that you and DH check it out, even if you decide not to take your kids to see it. Even if you have to go seperately. I think in general, MOST adults enjoy the special effects. And if it gets too intense for you, you can always slip out yourself.
BTW, we do usually sit at least in the back half of the theatre, where we enjoy the show more. I didn't like sitting close because I couldn't watch the reactions of others because most of them were behind me. LOL.
Enjoy!! :goodvibes

I have two sons, ages 4 and 2. When we went with the 4 year old when he was almost three (as in turned 3 the day after we got home...any idea why we scheduled that trip?!?!), he freaking out in there. When we went when he was four, he decided to be "brave" and do it. He was ok.

As an adult, I don't think it's scary. From a child's eyes, I can see it. FWIW, Maelstrom is in a similar category for us. Scary for the kids, not for us as adults.

Hope that helps and have a great trip! WDW is awesome through a child's eyes! Make sure you take time to smell the roses (both literally and figuratively) while you are there with them...it's really cool!

At one point in the show, the grasshopper gets mega-pissed off with the other bug for associating with us, the humans in the audience and decides to take matters into his own hands and exterminate us.

He yells, he grabs a large can and squirts it at us...and the place gets totally dark and fills with "smoke" (really water vapor, but it's hard to tell the difference, especially if you're three). Colored lights start flashing around here and there and everywhere, giant spiders fall from the ceiling and bounce. All this while loud, ominous music plays.

It's cool if you're an older kid or adult, but is very frightening for the preschool crowd.

No way in hell I'd take a preschooler in there. I LOVE it and never miss it...but I don't take tiny tots.

Take them to that sand pit and let them play in the sand instead. Or go to the petting zoo. Or walk the trails. Whatever. Just don't take little ones into ITTBAB. That's my advice, anyway.

We personally don't see it as 'that intense of an attraction' as many others do. While I have seen the occasional child carried out in the middle of the show, in my experience, that is the exception not the norm.

Well said. The bug show is an excellent attraction.

I HATE Dinosaur and think it is the roughest ride at all of WDW. I didn't really find it super scary, but it 'throws' you around inside of the ride vehicle soooo much. I left there w/ bruises on my arms and legs from that ride.

I could not agree more. Perhaps it's my age (76), but Dinosaur joins my list of what I call "jerkey, bumpy" rides that I have no problem at all skipping.

:wizard: HarRack

My kids first did it at 2 & 3 and were fine. Neither are that squeemish or easily scared by much, though.

Thanks for all the specifics and help! I know DS2 would be fine - he's not afraid of ANYTHING! DS4, on the other hand, is a little more tentative about things. Like I said in the OP, all he has seen of it is what he calls the stinky bug on the vacation planning DVD and he likes it. I'm sure he thinks it's a lot like A Bug's Life. I may try to see it myself first then decide, but since AK is such a short day anyway, I may just try to skip it until next year or the year after.

Again, thanks for all the help! You guys are the best!! :thumbsup2

Just to weigh in here, I'm 24 and can't do it. I scream bloody murder during it. And not just for the fun of it like a prior poster suggested adults do, but because it leaves me genuienly freaked out. And the last time I did it, left on the verge of tears (managed to compose myself) because the people I was with (family) insisted that I was being a baby and that it wasn't bad if I sat on the edge of the seat. I did, I lifted my feet up off the floor and I still was scared witless. I don't even really have a problem with bugs, I've lived by myself and killed them and I've been fine. But when I have things poking me and running across the floor...it freaks me out (I also can't do Honey I Shrunk the Audience, so I think it's a 3D thing with me...I'm fine with Philharmagic & Muppets, but they don't have anything besides bubbles.)

I haven't done it for years. I've been with people who want to do it and I just walk across the theater when it's show time and wait for them on the other side. When I wait there are a lot of kids being carried out because they're freaked out.

So IMO, you obviously know your kids best, but realize that this isn't for everyone, even adults.

It wasn't just the bugs that scared my kids, but the fact that the big grasshopper says, "Exterminate the humans!" My kids were actually believing him, like they were not getting out alive. My 5 year old nearly clawed me to death trying to get out of there!!!

I hate ITTBAB. Couldn't stand it when I was 10, can't stand it now. I dislike insects, and the idea of big 3-D bugs - even Pixar-animated ones - gives me the willies. Plus, the freaking bee stabs you in the back! Then the stink bug goes off! Just unpleasant. Ugh.

DH and I enjoy it, my eldest son who was 13 when we went last enjoyed it....our son who was 7 at the time was fine with it, but our kids who were 4, 3 and 1 at the time were pretty freaked. Even though we sat in the back, and I murmured to them that it was pretend the whole time. It gets dark and Hopper can be scary...but only you can decide what your kids can handle. My dd went on TOT...but this scared her. Go figure.

:rolleyes1 We tried this attraction when DS9 and DD7 were 4 and 2. I knew nothing about the attraction. But, the kids loved the movie A Bug's Life. So, how bad could the attraction be???? Well, we didn't last very long. It was loud, dark and Hopper can be very scary to small children. Once we were sprayed, the kids had it and we had to leave. :guilty:

We were at DAK for EMH (PM) this past June and saw it had no line. So, we decided to re-try it after all these years. The kids were older, but we now have DS4 in tow. Believe it or not, DS4 was fine. DD7 was freaking out. So, I left with DD7 while DH finished the movie with DS9 and DS4. It honestly depends on your child and what you think is their scare limit. You can never tell what will trigger fear in a child. :confused3 DH did say there was a part when bugs are suppose to be crawling out of the seats and the seats poke you. He said that was NOT fun and did bother DS4 and himself. Besides that, he was fine. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Jennifer

Semi-Off Topic:
We visited DLR for the first time this past March. Our kids LOVED A Bug's Land at DCA. We spent hours in there. A nice surprise hit with our family. I highly recommend it for any A Bug's Life fan. :thumbsup2

It depends on your kids. We had 5 ranging from 4 years- 10 the first time we saw it they were fine. The 21 year old babysitter freaked out as she is so scared of spiders. Go figure....:confused3

My boys saw this show last year when they were 3 & 1 1/2 - we were holding them in our laps so they didn't get the seat special effects (the sting, etc.), and they didn't want to keep the 3D glasses on, but the darkness and Hopper freaked them out a little. My one year old was fine until the water sprayed on him, then he was not happy. They're a little obsessed w/ bugs, which is why I let them see it, but I will be skipping it this year b/c my 8 month old daughter would definitely freak out.

My mom hated it too when I took her one year. She took the 3-D glasses off and it was less intense. They always advise you to have them take off their glasses; which does help. But if a child is frightened, I bet it is pretty hard to explain to them "it is just pretend." Doesn't work for everyone.

I have the same issue with Honey, I Shrunk the Audience - I am deathly afraid of snakes and when that snake comes down on the bottom of that screen (even though I know it is coming and I shut my eyes) I know what it looks like from the first time I saw it and it frightens the life right out of me.......:scared1:

Last March my 7 yo liked it but it was too scary for my 5 yo. My boys are both pretty brave and adventurous, they both did haunted mansion no problem.

It's pretty intense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter